A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Rise of the Horde

(The IC thread for the game)

You are looking in the streets of Darrow heading to the Drunken Elf inn. Along the way, you see merchants and townfolk buying and selling. At a street corner, a group of orcs is loading bags into a wagon while being overseen by a half-orc with a large axe. He stands apart and watches them work.

A group of elves on horse back ride up to the orcs and began calling down to them.

(For those who understand Orc or Elven)
    Spoiler
    Show

They insult the orcs in their own tongue and that of the elves.

The half-orc looks to be trying to keep the other orcs under control; the orcs look like they are getting angry and they snarl at the elves. The half-orc sees you and gives you a pleading look before turning back to the orcs.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wookiee. 2 E's. [I am obsessed with this]
    My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Rise of the Horde

"Hail, friend elves. I am Timmok of The Order. My vows and honour bid me question: Why do you heckle those who toil as honest labourers?"

Timmok is confused at the antics of the elves, who he'd been taught were noble of intent and action.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Elven
    Show
    "Aye, what have they done to provoke your insults?"
    Finnegan asked, moving forward as if to advance on them while remaining wary of getting too close to a pack who could most definitely overpower him in a physical outburst.

4. - Top - End - #4

Beholder

"Come on, haven't we got an inn to get to?" Kaitia grumbles to the group. "The beer's not getting any closer with us standing around here amongst the riff-raff." Her look is somewhat distrusting, though whether it's aimed at the elves or the orcs isn't clear.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Goblin

Whant an annoyance. Dominic mutters to himself, then approaches the Elves.
    "Pardon me, but is there any problem?" He adress who looks like a leader of the group in Elven. "It is unusual to see Elven blood behaving like this. Can I ask you for the reasons of this behavior?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As you get closer, you notice that the elves are dressed in very fine clothes and that they all carry rapiers. The elves sneer at you, while one mutters to another in elven. Their clothes are all marked with an eagle holding arrows in its talons (knowledge: Royalty or Local to identify: DC 20).

In Elven:

Spoiler
    Show

"The dogs are speaking to us, how amusing."

One elf dressed in nearly all black addresses you. "We are showing these filth that they don't belong in civilized lands. Of course, in looking at you, I would have to say the say about you lot." His companions laugh while he makes rude gestures at you.

Another one speaks out. "That's right, Athos! Teach these foul human dogs to mind their manners before their superiors. Human scum."

Athos, who is the one in black, smiles at you. "Shall we teach you how to play fetch, little puppies? or perhaps how to catch a ball?" The other elves continue laughing at you while catcalling you with things like "Human scum", "Pig dogs", "Lost doggy" and other insulting things.
    Last edited by russdm; 2014-04-28 at 04:06 PM.
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

Though not speaking Elven, the meaning certainly isn't lost on Kaitia. Until now, she didn't really care - the elves were right, they were just orcs - but she wasn't one to take an insult lightly.

"I don't see any civilised lands around here, just a bunch of pompous -" she slips into Dwarven, "- tw**s with sticks up their a**es." Cursing in Dwarven just feels more natural and colourful to her, and she returns to the local tongue for the rest.

"Call 'em dumb if you want, doesn't mean jack to me, but you're between me and a pint. Last person to do that was an orc - he wasn't so bright - so unless you're as dumb as they are I'd suggest moving aside. I'd hate to get your fancy garb all muddy, someone might mistake you for someone with an ounce of humility."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm calling the first skill roll! Watch it fail spectacularly.

"Intimidate" - (1d20+1)[13]

8. - Top - End - #8

Griffon

Timmok is furious; Purely furious. He's a simple man, born from simple roots into a simple position in a simple Order; Upholding the Light of Pelor that all the denizens of the lands might see it shining as an example of what is Good and Right.

And when a simple man finds a complex problem, the solution he arrives at is usually simple as well. And yet, even in his righteous fury, his words are polite and respectful, Elven though the tongue is hard in his mouth.

"You disservice your progenitors and the Light! Stand aside or I'll have the guards alerted and you'll be arrested for harassment!"

He stands poised, one gloved finger pointed accusingly at the Elves. Outwardly, righteous indignation brings his face to a handsome and intimidating scowl. Inwardly, he wonders if perhaps he'd been too hasty in his escalation of this conflict.

The doubt will plague him for many nights of penance he fears. Still, though he finds himself at odds with his friends' drinking problem, their sentiments are roughly aligned; haste must be made for the Light, even when Darkness mars the path ahead.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The elves laugh happily at hearing Katia. Athos says something in elven to the others and moves off followed by a couple of the others. One of the others speaks to another and then directs his horse close to Katia, flanked by two other elves. He is dressed in fine green clothing, while the others are wearing blue clothes. He is given a glass of wine by one of his companions and he drinks it mockingly in front of Katia before getting a refill.

Athos: In elven

Spoiler
    Show

"Let them drink with the dwarven pigs. Lets not dirty our blades with their filth."

Green Elf: In elven

Spoiler
    Show

"Pour me a glass; I want to teach this peon a lesson in manners."

Green elf holds the goblet up out towards Katia, smirks, then throws its contents at her. He jokes in common, "Here, have a pint!"

Athos and his companions watch from further away, interested to see what the outcome is, by they won't interfere.
    Last edited by russdm; 2014-04-29 at 12:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Goblin

Dominic looks at the Elves with dissaproval.
    "It is dissapointing to see such shameful display from members of Elven race." He says in Elven. "Do you have no shame? Acting with the maturity and class of barbaric simpletons. What would your ancestors said if they have seen you now? Or maybe..." He pauses and calmly looks at Elf in green."Or maybe I heard wrong and your people are not noble and graceful? Is it all just a facade for spoiled children like you?"
    His words are harsh and he knows he might provoke them, but he hopes that by appeal to Elven pride he might shame the Elves enough to leave. But he also prepares for an attack, readying himself to cast a spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[11]
    If attacked, Dominic casts Sanctuary on himself

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"These are hardly elves," Finnegan said, not too happy about getting involved but needing to speak his mind. "I recognise that insignia. They're from a clan that was booted from the Elven lands a while ago. Surely it's hard to call others scum when your own people don't want you around, hm?" He spoke in common, to make sure that the Orcs could understand. He wasn't trying to start a fight, though in hindsight he figured that his words were very provoking. Oops.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Readying an action to cast Grease around the closest horse if it advances further.

12. - Top - End - #12

Beholder

"I asked for a pint, not a thimbleful." Kaitia practically ignored the wine; she'd been covered in mud and soaked through with water plenty in her times hunting, a splash of wine wasn't even an inconvenience. "Elven constitution really is lacking if that's all you can manage."

Kaitia moves to pass by the elves, wary of how throwing the first stone would be viewed by the law. "The inn's this way, folks. Unless our friends here have anything else they'd like to add?"

Show
    Kaitia tries to move around the riders. Though I suppose combat hasn't really started, she's going Total Defence if possible.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Secret DM roll:

(d20+3)[16]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The elf hassling Kaitia kicks at her ineffectively, missing. Athos laughs as the other elf does so and he calls something over to the elf.

Elven
    Spoiler
    Show

"Well, you certainly showed her, Pythos. Now come on, it's time to leave."

The other elf calls back angrily at Athos, who calls back in reply.

Elven
    Spoiler
    Show

Other Elf: "This human pig-dog hasn't learned her proper lessons! I shall give her a permanent reminder."
    Athos: "You will do nothing but embarrass yourself further. Now come, we have more important things to do than waste time while you try to beat sense into that woman. However amusing it would be to watch her knock you off your feet, there are more important matters. Come now."

The other elf mutters angrily, then looks down at Kaitia. "You haven't heard the last of me, foul cretin. I shall return soon and challenge you to a duel! Hrrrmmpph." He directs his horse around and leads his companions away, following Athos off.

The half-orc carefully strides up to you and offers his thanks for your help. "My name is Krutos Axehewer and I am grateful for your aid. If you are ever in the lands of the Tiger Claw tribe, tell them my name and they will provide you help."

Krutos gets the last goods on the wagon and the orcs head out of town. If you have any questions for Krutos, you should ask them now.

15. - Top - End - #15

Griffon

"Those... those!" Timmok struggled to come up with words he would not have to repent later.

Failing valiantly, he turned his attentions to the wounded pride of his comrade. Recompense would be had. "Kait, shall we alert the town guard and vie for your honour against those... Hooligans!"

"HOOLIGANS!" His shout after the retreating elves is as righteous and pure as his intentions, and about as effective. But, at least, he'd found the word he'd been looking for.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Frowning, Finnegan waved his hand towards Kaitia, channeling a a wave of low-power magic. His ally's clothes were slowly cleaned, stains of drink disappearing from their gear as he walked past them.

He was silent, but the direction he was heading in made it clear that he was going to inn.

17. - Top - End - #17

Beholder

Mostly ignoring Krutos, but paying attention to the mention of his name and that of his tribe - know thy enemy, and such - Kaitia nods her thanks to Finnegan as she adjusts her attire.

"Elves... bad as orcs, sometimes," she mutters. "That little tirade made me thirsty. Onwards, comrades, the inn awaits!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Goblin

"Surerly you showed them their place, my friend." Dominic says sarcastically to Timmok. He then turns towards Krutos. "Thank you. My name id Dominic Baltasar Bizarre Jr. and it pleases me I could help honest, hardworking men from bnch of troublemakers. If you have any futher problems with them, you might find me at the inn, Krutos Axehewer.".

"Not a single race is better than the others." He scold Kaitia. "Had you read some of the history books, you would realize all of them have skeletons in their closets, proverbarly speaking of course."

19. - Top - End - #19

Griffon

Timmok butts in, his oxcart of thought having broken an axle. "At the Chapel, we have actual skeletons in our closets - Saints mostly, but I've heard tell of a Lich's body kept there, just in case one of its foul anchors still hides its spirit from Pelors' divine light."

He holds the door open for the others as they reach their destination.
    Last edited by chrisrawr; 2014-05-01 at 03:11 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Yeah, 'skeletons in the closet' can be literal in a lot of situations," Finnegan said as he moved into the inn and looked about its inside a seat. "But let's forget about that, for a moment. I need a drink, and then we've got some other business to take care of."

Show
    Any obvious trouble in the inn?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You enter the inn and find it is nearly full of people. There are a few empty tables in the center of the inn. The inn is filled with many humans but there is a few tables of other races: one table has a small group of elves; there is a slightly larger group of dwarves; and several groups of orc laborers. You don't see any goblins though. There are several customers stated at the bar on the side.

Two short stout kobolds care trays of drinks around and hands them out. A burly Ogre stands behind the bar, while a human brings out trays of food that are picked up by more kobolds. A kobold comes up to you and smiles before greeting you in common. "Good afternoon, gentle beings. We have some tables available if you are interested in having a meal. If you are looking for snacks and drinks, I suggest you try the bar. If you are looking for rooms, arrangements can easily be made."

You do notice that there is one table that has someone dressed in dark clothes that is eating alone. The figure glances briefly in your direction before going back to their food.
    Last edited by russdm; 2014-05-01 at 05:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Griffon

The room brightens as Timmok brings the Light of Pelor into it, his flashing smile briefly pushing the Darkness back into the corners from where it slunk.

"Drinks for our table," he points to an open spot with enough room for his companions, "And keep them coming, Dragonkin, our thanks, erm... Linda!" What an odd name for a Kobold.

Turning his attention from the help to a more pressing problem, he claps one man on his shoulder, greeting him fondly but without recognition. "Pardon goodsir, I would be greatly in your favour if you could shuffle your seat forward a moment only, my friends and I are tired and you seem a reasonable sort."

Using his more than moderate mass wherever a manageable ministration of mirth and modesty misfire, Timmok maneuvers through the mess, maintaining a moderate margin for the others' means as they move to the meeting place through the mobbed room.

Spoiler: Thoughts/OOC
    Show

Though not naturally suspicious, Timmok activates "Detect Evil" (at will, standard action, class feature) the moment he wakes up each morning out of devotion to his God and his Order. If there is any Evil around, let the might of my alliteration strike it down!

Last edited by chrisrawr; 2014-05-01 at 09:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Beholder

Carefully casting about the crowd, with its contrasting clientele, Kaitia's cautious character is concerned by the continuing company of orcs. Quietly cataloguing the couple commonplace citizens - the cap on the community of Darrow causes acquaintances to crop up commonly - Kaitia continues through the cacophony to acquire a comely cup of courage.

Show
    En garde!

In case it wasn't clear, she's going to the bar. Knocked off 4cp for a mup of common ale as per SRD, if it's significantly more let me know.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The ogre bartender, whose name is Thugg, pours Kaitia a mug of ale in a clean glass. One of the other patrons turns to look at her, and then backward off his stool, having passed out from being way to drunk. A small group of kobolds carry him out of the inn.

A kobold dressed in fancy clothes comes up to you and speaks to you. "We have roast duck baked in spiced wine with mashed potates and corn. There are fresh baked cookies for desert. We also have iced drinks as well if you desire them. We do have wine and ale if that is more your preference." He waits patiently for your answer.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Finnegan followed his party to their chosen table, sitting down with them as he thought over the confrontation with the Arrowhawk Elves. There was something odd about the shadowy man sitting nearby, but such things were not his area of expertise.

"Yes, I will have a meal, with ale," he says to the Kobold, smiling at the thought of a hot meal after time spent on the road and reaching for his coin pouch to make sure it was full. Confident in his financial status, he turned to the rest of the group. "So, when are we taking our next job?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Goblin

I heard of a chapel built out of human bones, far away in distant lands. But I doubt it's an appriorate subject for the dinner. Dominic says to Timmok, as they enter the inn.

"You seem troubled." Dominic says to Kaitia, taking place next to her. What does disturbs you?

27. - Top - End - #27

Beholder

"Not much, I just don't like how Darrow is evolving." Kaitia confessed, swigging her drink. "Not long ago things were much simpler, you didn't have to worry about orcs - if you saw one, you fought it or ran - or arrogant elves. People could earn an honest living doing an honest job. I mean, you didn't see shady folks like that guy, hanging around on his own," Kaitia gestured with her ale glass at the lone stranger, "People travelled together, worked together, ate and drank together."

She turned to a passing kobold. "I'll have the roast duck," she asked, flashing a smile and fishing in her purse for change for the meal and two further silver pieces. "Keep the drinks for my friends and I coming."
    Last edited by Amanil; 2014-05-03 at 10:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Goblin

"I don't think that people suddenly stopped eating together, drinking together or travelling together. Look at us." Dominic says, giving Kobold a not that he'll have some of that duck too. "And I'll rather have orcs, and kobolds, goblins and ogres for that matter, making honest living, than ones I'd have to run from." He gives a shady man a passing glance. "And that guy over there looks like he has a business he needs to be taken care of in secret. My father woudl tell me stories of his youth, people like this were quite common source of income back then." He pauses. "How about we talk to him?"

29. - Top - End - #29

Griffon

Timmok stiffens, suddenly sensing something sinister in the surrounding scores of suspicious shoppers.

"EVIL!" The cry cuts through the clamor, as Timmok's sword flashes - he climbs atop a table and holds it above him, swooping it about the room in righteous furor to point at those his senses deem unworthy of the light.

"EVIL HAS NO PLACE HERE! GUARDS! TO ARMS! EVIL AMONG US! LET NONE PASS THROUGH THE DOORS! WARD YOUR HEARTS AND MINDS AGAINST THEIR TRICKERY! TO ARMS I SAY, THERE IS GREAT EVIL AMONG US!"

With a flourish, he hops to the nearest table, in the direction of the closest evil.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy to sway the crowd (1d20+8)[23]
    Jump and Balance rolls for as many as are needed to get close to the nearest evil dude
    Jump: (1d20+3)[18], (1d20+3)[19], (1d20+3)[19], (1d20+3)[23], (1d20+3)[15]
    Balance: (1d20+3)[5], (1d20+3)[8], (1d20+3)[14], (1d20+3)[9], (1d20+3)[18]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Well, you leap across to the next table and slip in some ale, landing flat on your back. The table's patrons, a group of orcs, look at your strangely before leaping and yelling and screaming.

Pretty soon, the 'evil-doers' are fighting off townsfolk, while the rest of the townsfolk engage in a barfight. Congratulations, you have started a barfight.

The evil-doers appear to be fancy looking elves who are masterfully wielding Rapiers against their attackers. One of the elves looks at you, then runs up the steps. He calls up it for help and...

A tall figure dressed in a horned black full helm (Face shield, you can't see face) with a big black bladed axe with what appears to be a bone handle strides down the stairs which creak as the figure comes down. The figure appears to be nearly 7ft tall, has red skin and is wearing black armor decorated in skull motifs. The figure picks up the elf and throws him across the room then wades into the melee with the axe, hewing townsfolk right and left.

You think this is the evil you sensed upstairs.
    Last edited by russdm; 2014-05-05 at 12:28 AM.