Results 1 to 2 of 2
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
The Mageblade - Using magical items to cast spells [PEACH]Mageblade
"Every weapon in my arsenal tells a story. And every story tells a death.
Fetch my quill; I'm in a writing mood."
The Mageblade is a cunning fighter, who uses skills and abilities uncommon to his profession to overpower and incapacitate his foes. Rather than using a pool of energy to fuel his powers, he draws raw magical essence from the weapons and armor he possesses. You know you're fighting a Mageblade when his +1 flaming sword suddenly unleashes a cone of dragon's breath, or his magical armor glows so bright that evil cannot enter its radiance.
Role: Scrapper, tank, or brigand, the Mageblade can fill many roles if he possesses suitable equipment.
Alignment: Any, though Mageblades often act in such a way as to form a bond with their closest spellcasting ally.
Hit Die: d10
To qualify to become Mageblade, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Skills: Spellcraft 5 ranks, Use Magic Device 5 ranks
Special: Must own at least one magical weapon or suit of armor for at least one month.
The Mageblade's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Ranks per Level: (4 + Int modifier)
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special 1st+1+1+0+1 Spellsiphon, Arcane Training 2nd+2+1+1+1 Arcane Ability 3rd+3+2+1+2 Mageblade Style 4th+4+2+1+2 Arcane Ability 5th+5+3+2+3 Mageblade Style 6th+6+3+2+3 Arcane Ability 7th+7+4+2+4 Mageblade Style 8th+8+4+3+4 Arcane Ability 9th+9+5+3+5 Mageblade Style 10th+10+5+3+5 Arcane Ability, Accumulated Reserve
All of the following are class features of the Mageblade.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: No new weapon or armor proficiencies.
Spellsiphon (Su): The Mageblade is adept at borrowing magic power from enchanted items he owns. As a swift action, the Mageblade can siphon out a portion of the magic in a weapon, shield, or suit of armor he is attuned to, storing that energy for later use as a spell-like ability. Siphoned magic lasts for 1 round per caster level the Mageblade possesses, but is expended when cast. Siphoned magic from ammunition lasts for only 1 round; this duration can never be increased. The Mageblade cannot siphon temporary bonuses to items, such as the effect of a magic weapon spell or the benefits of an active bane property. The Mageblade can siphon magic multiple times in succession, though he may only
TAB In order to attune himself to a magical item, he must use, hold, or wear that item for 8 hours each day for one week; these hours do not have to be consecutive. Attunement lasts for 1 week, but is refreshed for another week if the Mageblade holds or wears that item for one hour. The Mageblade may be attuned to a number of items equal to his class level + his highest mental ability modifier. Attuning himself to a new item when already at his limit forces him to lose attunement with one item of his choice.
TAB When he siphons magic away from an item, that item has reduced effectiveness for 1 minute, losing whatever ability or enhancement bonus was siphoned for this time. While reduced in this way, the caster level of that item is reduced by 2. This penalty affects subsequent spells drawn from that item, and any other checks against the item's caster level. If he siphons the last of an enhancement from an item, then the item is considered nonmagical until the penalty duration expires. When siphoning from items that have special abilities, he must leave at least a +1 enhancement on any item in which he leaves a special ability. Any time the Mageblade siphons from a piece of ammunition, that item is forever rendered non-magical, even if it still had enhancement bonuses or special abilities within it.
TAB The following is a list of the most common weapon and armor enhancements and abilities, as well as the most common spells that can be drawn from them. This list is by no means complete, there are many more enhancements and spell combinations that could be found. If a spell includes an increase (ie. "+1") then the special ability spent must also include a decrease in the item's enhancement bonus, or at least cannot be cast until that amount of enhancement bonus is drawn from another source. The caster level for any of these spells is equal to the caster level of the item at the time they were siphoned, or the Mageblade's caster level, whichever is greater. The Mageblade cannot cast spell-like abilities which appear only on a divine caster's spell list unless he has chosen Divine Training as one of his Arcane Abilities.
* Creator's note: This list is neither complete nor finished, and I would like some assistance/advice for spells to add.*
Spoiler: Spellsiphon TL;DNR
- Max attunements = Lvl + best mental ability mod
- Attune: 8 hours per day for 1 week, lasts 1 week, refreshed (+1 week) w/ 1 hour
- Siphon: Swift action, item loses ability and/or enhancement and -2 CL. You gain 1 use of SLA within 1 rnd/level
- Siphoning ammo is cheap but not as effective
- SLA CL = better of item's CL or Mageblade's CL
- Can't cast divine-only SLA's by default
Spoiler: Weapon spells
Weapon Enhancements Spells that can be cast +1 light, mending, resistance, adjuring step, bless weapon, dazzling blade, magic weapon, Bane summon monster I or II, summon monster III (+1), summon monster IV (+2), summon monster V (+3), summon monster VI (+4), summon monster VII (+5) Called call weapon, teleport (+3) Corrosive acid splash, corrosive touch, acid arrow Defending shield, shield of faith, mage armor Flaming burning disarm, burning hands, fireball (+1), flame blade, flame strike (+2), produce flame Frost frostbite, ray of frost, chill metal, ice storm (+2) Furious rage (+1) Ghost touch plane shift (+4) Guardian resistance Keen keen edge (+1) Ki focus stabilize, ant haul, jump, ki arrow Merciful stabilize, cure light or moderate wounds, cure serious wounds (+1), cure critical wounds (+2), mass CLW (+3), mass CMW (+4), mass CSW (+5) Mighty cleaving divine power (+2) Returning telekinesis (+3) Seeking true strike Shock jolt, shock shield, shocking grasp, call lightning (+1), lightning bolt (+1) Spell storing <same as a +2 enhancement modifier> Throwing magic stone Thundering ear-piercing scream, blindness/deafness (deafness only) Viscious touch of fatigue, enervation (+2) +2 [third level spells] Anarchic chaos hammer (+1) Axiomatic order's wrath (+1) Corrosive burst acid splash, corrosive touch, acid arrow Disruption heal (+3) Endless ammunition abundant ammunition, minor creation (+1) Flaming burst burning disarm, burning hands, fireball, flame blade, flame strike (+1), produce flame Furyborn rage Glorious daylight, flare, blindness/deafness (blindness only) Holy holy smite (+1) Icy burst frostbite, ray of frost, chill metal, ice storm (+1) Shocking burst jolt, shock shield, shocking grasp, call lightning, lightning bolt Unholy unholy blight (+1) Wounding bleed +3 [fourth level spells] Speed haste +4 [fifth level spells] Brilliant energy gaseous form, continual flame Dancing animate objects (+1) +5 [sixth level spells] Vorpal circle of death, keen edgeSpoiler: Armor and Shield spells Armor and Shield Enhancements Spells that can be cast +1 [second level spells] Arrow catching entropic shield Balanced cat's grace Bashing bull's strength Blinding searing light (+1) Bolstering heroism (+1) Champion protection from evil Dastard protection from good Deathless death ward (+2) Defiant summon monster I or II, summon monster III (+1), summon monster IV (+2), summon monster V (+3), summon monster VI (+4), summon monster VII (+5) Fortification (light) limited wish (+5) Impervious fabricate (+3), make whole Mirrored spell turning (+5) Ramming force punch Stanching stabilize, cure light or moderate wounds, cure serious wounds (+1), cure critical wounds (+2), mass CLW (+3), mass CMW (+4), mass CSW (+5), lesser restoration, restoration (+2), greater restoration (+5) Warding atonement (+3) +2 [third level spells] Animated animate objects (+3) Arrow deflection shield Spell resistance (13) +3 [fourth level spells] Fortification (moderate) limited wish (+3), miracle (+5), wish (+5) Ghost touch etherealness (+5) Invulnerability limited wish (+3), stoneskin (+1), wish (+5), miracle (+5) Spell resistance (15) Titanic enlarge person Wild baleful polymorph (+1) +4 [fifth level spells] Spell resistance (17) +5 [sixth level spells] Fortification (heavy) limited wish (+1), miracle (+3), wish (+3) Reflecting spell turning (+1) Spell resistance (19)
Arcane Training: The Mageblade is trained in the use of magically augmented combat, and gains benefits from his training with magical weapons and armor. The Mageblade has an effective arcane caster level equal to his class level; this bonus stacks with any existing arcane caster level the Mageblade may possess from another class. While this does not directly affect the strength of his spell-like abilities, it serves to establish the strength of some of his feats and class features. At every even level, the Mageblade gains a new Arcane Ability, chosen from the list below.
Spoiler: Arcane Abilities
- Divine Training: The Mageblade has an effective divine caster level equal to his class level; this bonus stacks with any existing divine caster level the Mageblade may possess from another class. Like his Arcane Training, this does not directly affect the strength of his spell-like abilities, but it may affect what abilities he can cast from his equipment.
- Improved Spellcasting: Each time he takes this ability, a Mageblade gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding this prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Mageblade, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day. The Mageblade may select this ability more than once.
- Combat Training: The Mageblade gains a bonus feat, chosen from the Fighter's bonus feat list. The Mageblade may select this ability more than once.
- Improved Attunement: The Mageblade is more efficient when attuning himself to a new magical item. He may now attune himself to any item he has held or worn for at least one hour. This quick attunement lasts only one day, rather than the normal week.
- Extra Attunement: The Mageblade increases the maximum number of items he may be attuned to by two. He may select this ability more than once.
- Arcane Combat: The Mageblade gains Arcane Strike and Arcane Armor Training as bonus feats. He may use either of these abilities as a free action on his turn once per round. When his caster level is 10 or more, he gains Arcane Armor Mastery as well.
- Cantrip Caster: When the Mageblade siphons a 0-level spell-like ability from an item, that siphoned magic lasts for one hour. During this time, he can cast that spell-like ability at will, as many times as he desires.
- Conduit of Power: The Mageblade can siphon power away from one item, and transfer that item to another in his possession. He can only translate enhancement bonuses in this way, not special properties or other abilities, and the item to be improved gains only 1 point of enhancement bonus for every 2 points drained from the initial item.
- Wondrous Siphon: The Mageblade can siphon a very small portion of magic from a number of items, rather than siphoning a larger portion of magic from a single item. He may substitute any three wondrous items he is wearing for 1 weapon, shield, or suit of armor when attuning himself to his equipment. He must follow all the normal attunement rules with these wondrous items. He may simultaneously siphon from these three items, treating the energy he gains as equivalent to a +1 enhancement modifier drawn from a weapon or other item. There is no penalty to the wondrous items affected in this way, though he cannot siphon from the same wondrous items for 1 hour. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his highest mental ability modifier.
- Wand Siphon: The Mageblade can drain charges from a wand to augment his spell-list. This functions exactly like siphoning from a magical weapon, except the only spell he can cast with that energy is the spell the wand normally casts. When using this ability, he expends 1 charge from the wand, though there is no reduction in its caster level. The Mageblade casts that spell as a spell-like ability at his own caster level, or the wand's caster level, whichever is higher. Alternatively, when siphoning magic from a shield, weapon, or suit of armor, he may siphon charges from a wand he is holding rather than siphoning enhancement bonuses from the other item for the purpose of obtaining a stronger spell than normal. (For example, if trying to cast SM4 with a +2 bane weapon, you could siphon the bane property and 2 charges from a wand, leaving you with a +2 weapon, rather than the non-magical weapon you would normally be left with)
- Spellforce: The Mageblade gains a bonus to his effective caster level (or caster level increase) equal to 1/2 his highest mental ability modifier. He may spend a swift action before casting a spell or using a spell-like ability to double this bonus for 1 round.
- Metathesis: The Mageblade gains one metamagic feat as a bonus feat, for which he must meet all normal prerequisites. Additionally, he may apply the benefits of that feat to his spell-like abilities, but doing so requires that he siphon additional power from his equipment equal to the metamagic increase from that feat. So, if casting an extended (+1) summon monster II from a +2 bane weapon, he must siphon the bane property as well as 1 point of enhancement modifier, leaving him with a +1 weapon. The Mageblade must be at least 4th level before selecting this ability, but he may select it more than once, gaining a new metamagic feat each time.
- Overdraw: As a move action, the Mageblade can siphon every last ounce of power from a magical item in his possession, granting himself a much larger amount of energy to fuel his spell-like abilities. Doing so renders the item non-magical for 1 day, but otherwise functions just like the Mageblade's normal siphon. He gains an additional point of enhancement bonus, plus one additional point per two points siphoned in this way, held in reserve for future spell-like abilities. The Mageblade must be at least 4th level to select this ability.
- Combat Siphon: The Mageblade can use weakness in the structure of magical items to quickly siphon power from them. As an immediate action after a successful sunder attempt, the Mageblade can siphon power from the item damaged, following all the normal rules for his Spellsiphon ability. He forms a momentary attunement with that item, and so loses one attunement if he was already at his limit. The Mageblade must be at least 6th level before selecting this ability. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his highest mental ability modifier.
- Doublecast: Siphoned magic lasts for 2 additional rounds. Additionally, the Mageblade may cast each spell-like ability of level 5 or below two times before that ability is expended. The Mageblade must be level 8 or above before selecting this ability.
Mageblade Style: At third level, the Mageblade begins to develop a unique style of combat that employs the magic he draws from his weapons in new ways. He chooses one of the following styles to master, gaining the first benefit at 3rd level, and additional benefits at every odd level thereafter.Spoiler: Mageblade Styles
Flying Blade Style: This style focuses on using melee weapons at range, by converting magical energy into telekinetic force.
- At 3rd level, as a swift action, the Mageblade can siphon 1 point of enhancement bonus from a weapon to grant that weapon the "called" special ability for 1 minute. Additionally, he may siphon the "returning" or "called" weapon abilities as though they were +1 enhancement bonuses.
- At 5th level, as a standard action, the Mageblade can throw a magical weapon to make a melee attack with it against any opponent within close range (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels). He uses his highest mental ability modifier, rather than his strength modifier, for attack and damage rolls when making this attack. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his highest mental ability modifier. Additionally, any thrown or projectile weapon the Mageblade wields gains a 50% increase in its range.
- At 7th level, the Mageblade can siphon a +2 enhancement from a weapon to create a telekinetic bond with it for a number of rounds equal to 1+ 1/2 caster levels he possesses. The weapon can quickly fly around him, threatening all squares within 30 ft. of the Mageblade simultaneously. During this time, the Mageblade can make a number of additional attacks of opportunity each round equal to his highest mental ability modifier, but must make all such attacks with the enhanced weapon. He may use this ability once per day.
- At 9th level, the Mageblade can enter a telekinetic trance as a full-round action once per day. When he does so, he may siphon a +1 bonus from any number of weapons (up to his highest mental ability modifier) in his possession to grant each of those weapons the dancing special ability. These weapons immediately begin dancing, without the need for another activation. Additionally, these weapons may continue dancing for the entire duration of his trance, rather than the normal limit of 4 rounds. The Mageblade's telekinetic trance continues for a maximum number of rounds equal to his highest mental ability modifier, though he must spend a full round action each turn to maintain the trace. At any point in his trance, the Mageblade may siphon a +2 bonus from his armor or shield to extend this duration by an additional round.
Iron Palm Style: Rather than drawing magical power for the purpose of casting a spell, the Mageblade draws that power into himself for extra strength and resilience.
- At 3rd level, as a swift action, the Mageblade can siphon 1 point of enhancement bonus from an item to give himself a +1 enhancement bonus on all natural attack and damage rolls, as well as a +1 dodge bonus to AC, for 1 minute. During this time, his natural attacks are considered magical. He may use this ability multiple times, or may siphon a larger bonus for larger benefits.
- At 5th level, the Mageblade gains the unarmed strike ability and unarmed damage of a monk whose level is equal to the Mageblade's class level. He may choose to add his highest mental ability modifier to his unarmed damage, rather than his strength.
- At 7th level, the Mageblade can siphon a special ability from a weapon to give his unarmed strikes and natural attacks that same special ability for 1 minute. He may use this ability once per day. Additionally, he can siphon a +1 enhancement bonus from an item to give himself 1 use of the stunning fist feat, as a first level monk. He must use his stunning fist within 1 minute, or the benefits are lost.
- At 9th level, the Mageblade can enter a superior martial stance as a full around action by siphoning a +2 enhancement bonus from an item in his possession. The stance lasts for a number of rounds equal to his constitution modifier, or highest mental ability modifier, whichever is better. During this time, he gains a +4 enhancement bonus to all physical ability scores, a +2 enhancement bonus to natural armor, and he may make an additional attack when using the full attack action. Additionally, any spell or spell-like ability with a range of touch that he casts during this time is empowered, as per the metamagic feat, at no additional cost. He may enter this stance once per day.
Dragonclaw Style: The abilities gained from this style focus on elemental power and sweeping energy attacks.
- At 3rd level, the Mageblade can siphon a +1 enhancement bonus from a weapon to give it any of the following special abilities for 1 minute: corrosive, flaming, frost, or shock. Additionally, he can siphon those abilities as though they were +1 enhancement bonuses.
- At 5th level, the Mageblade deals additional damage whenever he damages an opponent with an elemental weapon ability, such as the ones listed above. This extra damage is equal to the Mageblade's highest mental ability modifier. He also adds this damage to elemental spell-like abilities he casts using energy siphoned from such weapon abilities.
- At 7th level, as a standard action, the Mageblade can siphon an elemental property from his weapon to unleash a cone of power against his foes. The cone has a range of 30 ft., and deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level he possesses, to a maximum of 10d6 damage. Opponents in the cone may attempt a reflex save (DC 10 + Mageblade's caster level) to halve this damage. This ability benefits from the ability the Mageblade gains at 5th level, adding his highest mental ability modifier to the total damage dealt. The damage is of the same type dealt by the weapon property siphoned for its use. The Mageblade may use this ability once per day per weapon, and may not use ammunition as the source of power.
- At 9th level, the Mageblade can enter an elemental trance, in which harmful power surges out from him with every motion. Entering this trance is a full-round action that requires him to siphon an elemental property from a weapon he possesses. The trance lasts for a number of rounds equal to his highest mental ability modifier, though he can increase this duration by 1 round per point of enhancement bonus he siphons from his equipment at the beginning of the trance. For the duration of the trance, the Mageblade is surrounded by an aura of power that mimics his form and attacks. This aura increases the Mageblade's reach by 5 ft., and gives him energy resistance 10 against the energy type of the aura. Additionally, every time he attacks an opponent, the aura deals 1d6 damage plus the Mageblade's highest mental ability modifier to the target of that attack and every creature within 5 feet of the target. The Mageblade may use this ability once per day.
Onslaught Style: The Mageblade focuses on making the most out of his weapons' damage and weight, overcoming resistance and defenses easily.
- At 3rd level, the Mageblade adds lead blades to the list of spell-like abilities he can cast from a +1 enhancement bonus. Additionally, he gains improved sunder as a bonus feat.
- At 5th level, the Mageblade doubles his weapon's enhancement bonus when making sunder attempts, and he adds his weapon's maximum damage to the total number of feet he can move as part of a charge. Only the weapon's damage dice and enhancement bonuses count for this effect; he does not add his strength bonus, power attack damage, or effects like sneak attack to the distance he moves.
- At 7th level, the Mageblade gains greater sunder as a bonus feat, and when he deals enough damage to overcome damage reduction, he ignores that DR completely. For example, if attacking an opponent with DR 5/silver, and he deals at least 6 points of damage with a non-silver weapon, he deals his total damage to the opponent, rather than total –5. He may bypass DR in this way up to 3 times per minute.
- At 9th level, the Mageblade can enter a devastating trance as a full-round action by siphoning 2 points of enhancement bonus from an item he possesses. The trance lasts for a number of rounds equal to his strength modifier, or highest mental ability modifier, whichever is greater. During this time, he makes every iterative attack in a full-round action at his highest bonus, and he adds 1.5 x his strength modifier to all weapon damage rolls (or 2 x Str if using a 2-handed weapon). Additionally, he may choose to apply the penalty from power attack to his AC and CMD, rather than his attack rolls, and he gains the benefits of the cleave feat during this time. After the trance ends, the Mageblade is fatigued for a number of rounds equal to his strength modifier. He may enter this trance once per day.
Unseen Blade Style: The Mageblade focuses on stealth, deception, and cunning to land the most powerful attacks possible.
- At 3rd level, the Mageblade gains improved feint as a bonus feat, and he gains sneak attack (1d6) as a rogue. If he possesses sneak attack damage from another source, this damage stacks with that to determine the total damage dealt by sneak attack.
- At 5th level, the Mageblade adds invisibility to the list of spell-like abilities he can cast from a +1 enhancement bonus. He also adds his highest mental ability modifier to the damage dealt by his sneak attack.
- At 7th level, the Mageblade gains greater feint as a bonus feat, and his sneak attack damage increases to 2d6. Furthermore, he increases the miss chance for partial concealment to 35%, and total concealment to 75%.
- At 9th level, the Mageblade can enter an unseen trance as a full-round action by siphoning 2 points of enhancement bonus from any item he possesses. The trance lasts a number of rounds equal to his highest mental ability modifier, though he can extend this duration for 1 round by siphoning an additional +1 enhancement from any item. During this time, the Mageblade appears to be surrounded in a 15 ft. radius cloud of energy, which grants him concealment against all foes. The cloud moves at a speed of 50 feet per round, and attempts to stay centered on the Mageblade unless he directs it otherwise. As a swift action, the Mageblade can direct the cloud's movement for 1 round. As long as he remains inside the cloud, the Mageblade gains partial concealment and he gains a dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity equal to his highest mental ability modifier. Additionally, if he is in the cloud at the start of his turn, the Mageblade becomes invisible for 1 round. He may enter this trance once per day.
Accumulated Reserve: At 10th level, the Mageblade has become so proficient at the idea of taking magical power from items around him, that he does so passively and constantly. He gains a reserve of power, treated like untyped enhancement bonuses, worth a number of points equal to 1 + 1/2 his highest mental ability modifier. He may siphon from this reserve as though it were any type of item, and there is no downside to doing so. The reserve replenishes at a rate of 1 point per hour, but can never exceed its maximum value. The reserve is fully replenished after a full-night's rest.
Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-28 at 06:03 PM.
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Re: The Mageblade - Using magical items to cast spells [PEACH]
I'm debating taking another look at this class. Anybody have any suggestions or critiques?