A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 268
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda


    The wet and chilling wind blows through the highlands, knifing through cloak and skin alike, and bringing with it the promise of an early winter. In the fading light of the later afternoon, a caravan can be seen making it's way along the old dirt highway: a trio of large wagon-carts, a few man on horseback, and a handful walking alongside, a little over a dozen travelers in all. The road here runs near to the river, adding the gurgle of flowing water to the symphony of small sounds--the creak of the wagons' wheels, the steady clop of the horses' hooves, and the rushing wind. An uncomfortable silence hangs over the company, broken only by the occasional cough quickly suppressed, a tense and watchful quiet born of fear. Everyone is acutely aware of the predicament they find themselves in, for they are still some ways out from their destination, and night is quickly approaching, bringing with it an ever-increasing threat...

    "Bah! Blasted wind. It's too early in the season fer cold like this!"

    The driver of the lead wagon, an aging dwarf by the name of Nolk, shudders at the recent gust and hunkers down further in his oversized oilcloth coat and continues his grumbling.

    "We'd 've already been safe and warm in Pravhda by now too if it hadn't been for that bloody wheel breaking. Picked a bloody perfect time for it too! Any sooner and could've just turned around and headed back to Morkazstel. But no! Had to bloody break in the bloody middle of the bloody road. Bah!"

    He deflates with a heavy sigh and trails into silence.

    "You could have gone on with the others, you know."

    The second speaker pulls up alongside Nolk on his horse and adjusts the mount's speed to match the cart. His bearing and the weathered breastplate worn under his traveling cloak clearly mark him for a military man of some sort, though exactly what kind of soldier he may be is more difficult to determine.

    "I doubt anyone here would have blamed you for going on ahead, given the circumstances."

    His comment elicits a roll of the eyes from the dwarf, who nods to himself.

    "Oh aye, I coulda gone. Shoulda gone, too. But then how would I be able to sleep tonight, knowin' I made it all nice and easy and you lot died out here because none of ya knew how to fix a bloody wagon wheel and yer were too stupid to know better than stand around losing the light!"

    The young man driving the second wagon hangs his head a bit; it was his cart that caused the delay after all. Raising his voice somewhat so that the dwarf can hear, he calls from his position further back in the line.

    "I am sorry, friend Nolk. To make it up to you, I'll be sure to buy you a round once we're safe and sound in Pravhda, sound fair?"

    "Oh aye! A couple rounds, I should think!"

    As he speaks, Nolk finally cracks a smile for the first time that day. Just as quickly as it appears, however, the smile fades and the dwarf's expression turns grim and pensive.

    "But why don't ya worry about keepin' an eye on the road for now, instead of promising ta get me booze'd up. You lot too, keep an eye out will ya? I gotta be watchin' the road, so I need ya lookin' to the sides."

    This latter instruction is directed to the couple of passengers riding in the backs of the wagons, or walking alongside--yourselves. At the same time, the military man gives a nod of agreement and rejoins the other two on horseback near the rear of the caravan, both of them obviously new soldiers. If you had to guess they, along with the one driving the final cart, are new recruits being shipped off to one of the northern forts, not exactly an enviable position...

    "Our dwarven friend is right boys. Keep an eye on the surroundings. Inattention is more likely to get you killed up here than anything else."

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    TandemChelipeds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    A nobleman in the rear softly chuckles, trailing one of the wagons on a hulking warhorse.
    "I'd wager the bandits are fair competition," he mutters to the passengers. But in spite of this barb, he heeds the warning and keeps his eyes on the trees.
    His face is craggy and worn, and his hair hangs in stringy, dripping curls. His garb is of high quality, clearly expensive, but understated in its design. He wears a black-accented chain shirt of mithril, rings fine enough to resemble a glittering high-collared doublet and bearing not a single spot of rust. This, he crosses with a red leather bandolier and hip-satchel. His riding boots are also red leather, and his breeches are loose and baggy in the custom of Ursinas, pinstriped in black and red. In spite of his sinister appearance, he wears a stylized flame around his neck, representing his allegiance to the Church of the Eternal Luminescence, and the signet on his finger bears the crest of the well-reputed Gazhekov family. In his lap, he holds a battered flintlock musket, primed and ready to fire.
    Last edited by TandemChelipeds; 2014-04-29 at 08:50 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rysc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In a book

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    In the back of the second wagon, a young woman sits staring out over the river, only vaguely aware of the conversions going on nearby. Unlike the others, the night didn't overly concern her. Perhaps those that used it for evil would draw near later. Perhaps they wouldn't. The stars were watching, anyhow. What did concern her was that they were supposed to have been in Pravhda by now. And that she could have been doing more for Them, delving in the places of lore in that city. There had been something with the cart, though--she had had to stand and wait while they fixed it--and they were still on the road.

    why / why aren't you / go / there is much more / come, child / have seen the stars / accept your own / find

    Distractedly rubbing the edges of her once-dark cloak in her hand, she tries to block out the stream of unwanted messages. She did her best to listen to the Elder Ones, but it was hard sometimes to tell. Her mismatched eyes flicker over the running water. Even outside there is no quiet, with the clatter and strike of the wagons and hooves, and the gurgle of water and murmur of voices, and the wind... She pulls her cloak tighter. The wind...the Voices on the wind...
    Avatar by the amazing Ceika!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    In the back of the first wagon, but near the driver's seat where Nolk sat, was a young man in a simple beige coat and darker brown suspenders. On his feat were plain, unadorned leather boots, and on the front of his coat was a small silver brooch. He was sprawled out in the wagon with his head resting on his bedroll and his pack on his stomach. Traveling with the caravan as a merchant, he didn't expect to do much fighting. It was for the best; the ignorant would point at him and cry devil worship if they knew what manner of skills he possessed. Nonetheless, he got up into a more ready position, holding a weighted wooden baton in his right hand. Now crouching in the wagon and looking down the road over the dwarf's shoulder, he kept a half-hearted watch for anything suspicious.

    Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    (1d20-1)[13]


    "A fair number of competent folk among us, good dwarf. I'm certain all will be well." Despite Kenneth's words, he was just as aware of the dangers (and inconveniences) of the wilds as the others, and was looking forward to the safety and opportunity of civilization.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Odentin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    On the back of the rearmost wagon, a man sits in heavy armor, constantly on watch for any signs of trouble. In the dying light, he has finally been able to lift the visor of his helm, revealing his oddly-colored skin and black eyes. Next to him, a hammer of massive proportions, held near the head by his gauntleted hand. Even before the warning, his eyes scanned the area incessantly. Not safe to be outside of a city at nightfall.

    Not really safe inside a city, if they come hunting, either. These people don't need to know that. Let them continue to believe that their cities hold sanctuary. For now, just keep this group safe through the night.

    (1d20+1)[19] Perception
    Last edited by Odentin; 2014-04-29 at 11:19 PM.
    -Odentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Near the front of the caravan walks a man in black armor trimmed with silver, his steps neither hindered nor slowed by his bulky attire. Some would recognize the black plumage on the helm and the feather-pattern engravings on the black steel, and know the armor belongs to the illustrious Ravens, an order of veteran guards among the Alathian noble houses.

    His left arm carries a black shield, while his left holds his helm at his side. Without his helmet on, it's easy to see that the man is a normal human, with tan skinned, a square jaw, aquiline nose, and black hair cropped short. His expression neutral, the warrior sweeps his gaze along the path, cold grey eyes searching for any signs of danger or potential obstacles.

    As the light begins to fade, he puts his helmet on, securing it in place before letting his gauntlet-clad hand rest as his side, ready to reach for the gilded hilt of the longsword hanging from his belt. Better safe than sorry...

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception: (1d20)[4]

    I GOT A FOUR!!
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2014-04-30 at 12:15 AM.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Eonas's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Underneath your bed

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    A large man in the back of the middle wagon sits awkwardly hunched over a cauldron full of a greyish-purple substance, trying to hold it steady as the wagon occasionally bumps over small objects in the road. He is attired in a suit of studded leather armor covered by a simple black outfit, a mace rolling on the wagon floor beside him. His expression is indicative of someone striving to remain calm despite feelings of irritation.

    Indeed, Lanyon Frollo was in a bad mood today, having woken up with a dreadful headache and a sore back which had not diminished as the day had passed. After walking beside the caravan for the better part of the morning, he'd decided to be productive and produce some alchemical creations. But the back of a wagon wasn't the right place to practice alchemy. The right place to practice alchemy was in the relative warmth of your home, where the surface was stable and where there was no one to disturb your work by talking loudly. Nobody like Nolk, or all the others in the caravan.

    To motivate himself, Lanyon imagines - not for the first time - what Abelard might have to show him that was so interesting. While in his little reverie, he nearly adds ten drops of pig's blood into the cauldron instead of nine. This snaps him back into the miserable tedium of the real world, where the wind is always too chilling, the road always too bumpy, and caravan drivers are always too noisy. At least he'd have a nice new mutagen in a minute or two. Now that was something to look foward to. Perhaps he might even have an opportunity to use it soon.
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    "I'd wager the bandits are fair competition,"
    "A fair number of competent folk among us, good dwarf. I'm certain all will be well."
    "Bandits? Ha! I'll be glad if bandits are the worst we run into! But we'll see. Might get lucky!"

    Nolk lapses back into an uneasy and sullen silence. The dwarf gives a quick flick of the reigns, causing the oxen pulling his wagon to lurch forward at a slightly quicker pace. No signs of danger can be seen as yet, but everyone can feel the tension build moment by moment as the light continues to fade. It almost feels like it's only a matter of time until something happens.

    Despite the mounting dread, a half hour passes without event. The road begins to veer towards the east, away from the river and through a small copse of trees, replacing the sounds of the river with the creaks and groans of the pines as they sway in the wind. With the rising moon obscured behind a heavy bank of clouds and the sun fallen behind the distant western mountains, there is little to illuminate the shaded path in the gloaming twilight, not that such is particularly disadvantage to the Nolk, accustomed as his dwarven eyes are to the darkness.

    Suddenly, the dwarf reigns his team in to a halt and holds up his hand as a signal to those behind to stop. He stares silently ahead into the shadows intently before suddenly leaping to his feet and rummaging through a sack behind his driver's seat with a dwarven swear that sounds like he's gargling rocks. His expression is deathly serious as he withdraws a torch and begins fumbling with a flint lighter, uttering a single word in the process.

    "Wolves."
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2014-04-30 at 01:14 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Looking past Nolk into the darkness, Kenneth slips into a bit of nervousness despite his earlier calm. He whispers to the dwarf, "Wolves, eh? Of the normal or shifter variety?" He grips his club a bit more tightly. "Here's hoping for the former, 'cause the only silver I've got is a brooch."

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Odentin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    When the carts stop, Siyavash hops down, plodding to the front of the train. Following Nolk's sightline to the supposed wolves, he attempts to pinpoint the threat, even bringing his ache into his eyes, burning his retinas and filling his sight with the auras of any evil creatures before him.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Detect Evil.
    -Odentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    TandemChelipeds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    "I'll spare you the trouble, my good fellow."
    Reaching into his saddlebags, the Count draws out an everburning torch and tosses it to Nolk. Then he picks up his musket and strains his ears, searching intently for the beasts.
    Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    (1d20+2)[10]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    "Wolves, eh? Of the normal or shifter variety?"
    "Here's hoping for the former, 'cause the only silver I've got is a brooch."
    "Dunno. Not that it matters. If it's those bloody weres and they're looking for a fight, we're probably already dead anyway. Best to hope it's just dumb and hungry animals."

    Nolk finally manages to get the torch lit, casting a feeble circle of light around the front wagon. He fixes the light to a small holding bracket on the side of the seat before reaching beneath it and withdrawing a heavy hammer. Taking a rooted stance on the front of the cart, he hefts the heavy metal weapon and takes a practice swing or two.

    "Tell ya this though. I won' be goin with breaking a few jaws as they try an gobble me down!"

    Siyavash is unable to detect any sort of inherently evil aura in the nearby vicinity, but even such measures prove unnecessary. His inhuman sight allows him to see through the gathering dark ahead, revealing the fleeting animal shapes dart between between the trees and undergrowth.

    Lacking the dhampir's sight, the veteran soldier towards the rear of the train is unable to actually see the encroaching threat, but the tone in Nolk's voice is sufficient to alert him to the impending peril. Shifting his mount forward, he begins to survey the immediate area and attempts to take charge with the authoritative voice of a tested combatant.

    "Circle up! Get the torches out, we need fire and we need light! Now! Watch each others' backs and we can all get through this alive!"

    The force and certainty of his orders seems to penetrate the fear falling upon the company and spurs the green recruits and peasants to action. The younger merchant driving the second wagon fumbles about under the seat and pulls out a crossbow and pulls his wagon up alongside Nolk's to form a defensive barrier from the front. Those on horseback take up position in the rear, watching for attacks from behind as more torches are lit. The menace in the air is nearly palpable as everyone watches, and waits...
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2014-04-30 at 02:20 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    In case something managed to get around into the back of the wagon, Kenneth turns to face that direction, his back to Nolk's. He wasn't much of a fighter, but damned if he was going to get bit from behind.

    Spoiler: Readied Action
    Show
    To attack a wolf if it jumps into the cart.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Odentin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Siyavash strides forward towards the incoming wolves and plants his feet, releasing his grip on the handle of his hammer so that it slides through his closed fingers to impact with a dull thud onto the dirt. He keeps his evil detection active, in case at least one of the wolves turns out to be a lycanthrope, and stands ready as the first line of defense against the oncoming canines...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to attack any wolf that rushes him or the caravan.
    -Odentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Eonas's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Underneath your bed

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Lanyon, having finished his alchemical preparations some time ago, hops out of the wagon, brandishing his mace in one hand and a mutagen flask in the other. He stands at the back of the line, peering into the darkness and waiting for anything remotely threatening to show itself.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[10]
    Readying action: if Lanyon sees anything threatening or if any of his caravan-mates does anything aggressive, he drinks the mutagen.
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rysc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In a book

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Solanin is aroused from her distraction first by the shouted instructions, and then by the man next to her in the wagon jumping out onto the ground. Securing her weapon cord to her wrist, she tentatively hefts her morning star, then fingers her spell component pouch with her other hand. Focusing on the shapes in the darkness ahead, she rises and faces the rear like everyone else. Best to be prepared, though she'd let the others go ahead first.

    The voices quiet down slightly. She can't do anything for anyone if she'd dead, after all.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Readying an action to cast a spell if a wolf comes within twenty feet of the defenders (or attacks one of her allies, if need be)
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-04-30 at 07:15 PM.
    Avatar by the amazing Ceika!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    TandemChelipeds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    The count keeps his mount by the wagon's left flank, musket at the ready, sweeping the area to keep it defended.

    Spoiler: Readied Action
    Show
    Attack the first wolf to come within 30 ft. of Nikolai's position. Also, retconning that the everburning torch is just kinda propped up so it sticks out of the saddlebag, since Nolk finished lighting his anyway.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Armeth wastes no time in drawing his longsword, the engraved blade glinting in the torchlight as his gives in a flourishing twirl. As the armored Paladin draws near, Armeth moves to take up a position beside him to the left, hefting his shield and readying his blade aloft. "Keep the flanks secure!" he barks back at the rest of the caravan and young soldiers. "They'll try to flank us, take down the weak and unprotected! Form up close! Don't let them isolate or surround you!"

    He scans the darkness, eyes peering from his helm's visor to spot whatever threat may be approaching. "See anything?" he mutters, tilting his head slightly towards to Siyavesh beside him.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception: (1d20)[5]
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Before the paladin even has a chance to answer, a mournful howl breaks the silence, quickly joined by more and more until the entire woods echo with the hair-raising cry. All around the encircled caravan, dark shapes can be seen darting between the shadows outside the circle of light, while those with the ability to see in the night clearly spot the lupine shapes swiftly drawing closer.

    "Here they come! Try not ta piss yerselves!"

    Suddenly a horse shrieks as one of the two mounted recruits digs his heels into the beast's sides, spurring forward in a sudden leap. The terror etched into the man's features as he charges past Siyavash and Armeth will not be easily forgotten.

    "No you fool! Don't!"

    The veteran's warning is too late. Deafened by fear, the man and horse vanish in an instant into the darkness of the road. Only a few seconds pass before the the sudden shriek of the horse followed by a scream abruptly cut off punctuates the omnipresent howling.

    And then, following some unspoken cue, the wolves strike. The attack comes from every direction at once as the beasts charge the wagons, snarling and growling as they throw themselves at the defenders. The roar of Nikolai's musket drowns out the howls as the first wolf to show itself tumbles to a sudden stop in the road. A second wolf's lunge is also brought to a premature halt with a pitiful yelp as it's back is broken then mashed into a bloody mess of fur and pulp beneath the weight of Siyavash's hammer. Lanyon finds himself with just enough time to down the loathsome contents of his alchemical concoction as at least a dozen wolves break from the darkness and sprint across the open ground.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Now, the way I'm going to handle this is that you guys will need to kill a specific number of wolves. Assume that they're pretty much all around the place and that all the npcs are fighting at the same time as well. (I'm not going to actually track combat for every single wolf and npc, that's just crazy.) You can also make the assumption that you're both in range to hit a wolf and at the same time threatened by one wherever you are unless you're in one of the carts, in which case you can hit only with range but are not threatened.

    Initiative:
    Solanin: (1d20+6)[26]
    Armeth: (1d20)[8]
    Siyavash: (1d20+3)[4]
    Kenneth: (1d20+4)[24]
    Nikolai: (1d20+3)[15]
    Lanyon: (1d20+2)[9]

    Wolves: (1d20+2)[20]

    I prefer to run a sort of block initiative. Everyone who acts before the wolves can post in any order, and then once we have all of them actions will be carried out based on individual initiative. Enemies will go after that, then everyone is allowed to post actions (due to the wraparound). So for this combat, Solanin and Kenneth will act followed by wolves, then everyone gets to act (including the first two).

    (Rysc, you didn't specify what spell to cast so I'll let you have a freebie and cast one spell before this round officially starts if you still want to.)
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2014-04-30 at 10:47 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Standing in the back of the foremost cart, Kenneth had yet to be targeted by the wolves, and none were nearby to beat with his club. As such, he decided to help where he could using his subtler magics. Best not to be too showy with so many strangers about, even if they were on his side... for the moment. It was then that he saw the alchemist from the second wagon down some sort of liquid and begin changing. That was certainly an interesting development. Turning his gaze to one of the wolves approaching the alchemist, Kenneth's eyes took on a momentary silver glow as he suppressed the creature's mind, trying to lull it into unconsciousness.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Kenneth is using his Slumber hex on one of the wolves approaching Frollo. It must pass a DC 17 Will save or fall asleep for 3 rounds (or until it takes damage).

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rysc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In a book

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    what are / destroy / simply an obstacle

    Solanin desperately shakes her head, trying to clear it, trying to focus. Too late, the wolves are already attacking. Well, she could still help her allies slightly. Gesturing slightly, she whispers into the night. Hopefully they just assumed they were...somewhat more confident. For some reason.

    Out of the corner of her eye, she notices her fellow passenger...changing? Interesting.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry about that. Sol gets distracted easily anyway, so I'll just have her cast her spell in the round.

    Casting Bless; concentration check: 1d20+13 Somehow I forgot the tags. Rolling in OOC.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-05-01 at 07:38 AM.
    Avatar by the amazing Ceika!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    A faint glow fills the area around Solanin, which quickly suffuses the various members of the caravan. Everyone feels emboldened, just slightly, and the dread of the wolves' attack is replaced with a grim determination to get through this no matter what. Almost at the same time one of the beasts lurches to a sudden halt, falling over near to the back of the line next to Lanyon, the victim of Kenneth's unnoticed hex.

    The rest of the wolves are not slowed, however, and they charge the ranks of the defenders. At the front of the wagons, Siyavash and Armeth find themselves confronted by a pair of wolves while another tries to circle around Nikolai in the back and flank his mount. One of the pair lunges at Armeth with an unexpected ferocity; before the fighter can react, he feels the wolf's teeth sink into the unprotected back of his leg as it tries to drag him down. He manages to keep his footing and kicks the beast away, but it's too late to prevent taking a nasty wound.

    Spoiler: Combat
    Show

    Armeth takes 7 damage.


    Perhaps he has better warning thanks to his ability to see in the dark, but Siyavash manages to step back as the other wolf goes for him. Meanwhile, the one attacking Nikolai tries to harass his horse, only to find itself receiving a swift kick in the side from the well-trained animal's hoof as reward for its reckless attacks.

    "Bah! Come on ya mangy mutts! I'll turn ya all inta sausage!"

    The dwarf's hammer swings through the air, ready to intercept anything foolish enough to come near his proximity. In the next wagon over, the young merchant's crossbow manages to produce a satisfying yelp as a bolt hits its target, but before he can reload a second wolf sprints towards the cart from the darkness and tries to climb up into the back of it.

    Spoiler: Combat
    Show

    Anyone in the first or second wagon (as they're next to each other) is now both threatened by the new wolf and able to attack it with melee.

    And now everyone gets to act.
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2014-05-01 at 11:49 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Odentin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Ignoring the wolf attacking him, Siyavash moves to intercept a wolf trying to move past him towards the caravan. He swings his hammer in a wide arc and silently begs forgiveness for needing to end a life in order to protect others.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+6)[11]
    (2d6+7)[14]
    -Odentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    TandemChelipeds's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    With practiced speed, the Count reloads his musket and spurs his horse on. "Don't let it get away, Vera! Attack!" The colossal mare snorts in bloodthirst, rending the offending wolf in her jaws and bludgeoning it with both of her iron-shod forehooves. The beast's whimpers and yelps fill the night, and its blood splatters the coat of Nikolai's mount. It just isn't this wolf's night.

    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

    Count Gazhekov has the Rapid Reload feat, reducing his reload time with a musket to a standard action.

    The wolf would be adjacent to my horse after failing that attack, so she can make a full attack. She's combat-trained, so her hooves count as primary attacks.
    Bite
    Attack roll: (1d20+5)[16] Damage roll: (1d4+5)[7]
    Hoof 1
    Attack roll: (1d20+5)[9] Damage roll: (1d6+5)[10]
    Hoof 2
    Attack roll: (1d20+5)[8] Damage roll: (1d6+5)[10]

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Eonas's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Underneath your bed

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    The taste of the mutagen is bitter and disgusting - so disgusting that Lanyon retches as he drinks it. The next moment he is transfixed by excruciating pain, as suddenly he feels himself begin to transform. His nails extend into long, sharp claws; his nose and mouth morph into a muzzle, his teeth sharpen and elongate, and his body is covered with dense grey fur. At the end of his transformation, what is standing in Lanyon's place looks remarkably like a large grizzly bear - but a damnably human-looking bear, with a head full of normal hair, normal human limbs, and fully operational prehensile hands.

    Lanyon feels the familiar loss of inhibitions, the euphoric surge of strength, the rising-up of everything that is bestial and feral in him. No longer does he care about the headache slamming into his brain with the force of a sledgehammer, or about the cold, or about the screaming horse. The only thing flying through Lanyon's mind is the instinct to fight - and to kill.

    He pounces at a nearby wolf with a snarl, slamming his own body against its and biting and clawing at it with the inhuman rage of a wolverine. The smell of blood fills his nostrils, and he sees the wolf with preternatural clarity, even in the dark. Lanyon feels alive.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    +4 strength, -2 Intelligence, gaining Darkvision.

    If it's possible for me to attack the wolf from the other side of one of my allies (i.e. if it's possible for me to flank it), I do that. And if I kill it in my first blow or two, I direct my efforts against any other nearby wolf, if possible.

    Bite attack/damage/SA: (1d20+7)[13] (+6 STR + 2 Bab - 1 PA) (1d8+11)[15] (+6 STR * 1.5 + 2 PA) (2d6)[9]
    Armor spikes attack/damage/SA (secondary): (1d20+2)[9] (1d6+3)[6] (+6 STR * 0.5 + 0 PA) (2d6)[6]
    Claw 1 attack/damage/SA: (1d20+7)[17] (1d6+11)[13] (2d6)[4]
    Claw 2 attack/damage/SA: (1d20+7)[12] (1d6+11)[12] (2d6)[9]

    I think that works? If the secondary Armor Spikes attack goes against the rules somehow, I leave that out of the roll.
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    "Damnation!" Armeth hisses, staggering slightly as teeth clamp on flesh and blood is drawn. He twists to the side, bringing up his shield to protect himself, and hacking violently with his blade. Not the most graceful show, but he's focusing more on avoiding another bite than on proper form and accuracy.

    He doesn't quite notice the random bear-thing transformation going on nearby. Probably for the best.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Fighting Defensively: -4 to attack, +2 to AC for the round.

    Attack: (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[9]
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    The wolf jumping into the adjacent cart startled Kenneth, and he looked between his simple club and the ravenous animal. Not really a good matchup. He would have to keep it from fighting back first; and so he sent out another dose of sleeping hex.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Kenneth is using Slumber on the wolf climbing into the merchant's cart. Also I forgot about decreased magic potency, so these hexes only last two rounds instead of three, meaning the wolf near Frollo has only this round of sleep left.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Rysc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In a book

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Apparently, staying on the cart was not as safe as she had first thought. Solanin jerks backwards as the wolf attempts to leap into the cart. Perhaps something other than spells was called for. She inhales and turns her mind to the stars, to the Ones beyond them. They had no need for any permanent forms. And They had taught her a little regarding that. The peculiar feeling of her features thickening and changing and limbs growing claws and scales does little to dampen her readiness. The stars were with her.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Using Many Forms to assume the form of a troglodyte, gaining +2 strength
    Avatar by the amazing Ceika!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Mathemagics's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    In an almost sickening twist of cruel irony, the unfortunate wolf which failed miserably at attacking Nikolai and his mount finds itself bitten to death by a horse. There is, however, little time to remark upon it when Lanyon's brutally twisted form bears down upon the nearby wolves. As the alchemist tears into one that had been cornering the pair of peasants (armed with nothing more than torches), another barrels forward only to be rent by his claws. The savagery of the display causes the men to balk in terror and wave their torches around in a feeble attempt to ward off this new monstrosity.

    Meanwhile, towards the front of the caravan, Armeth takes a swing against his opponent, only to find the animal nimbly jump away at the last moment. Still, it gives him a moment to regain his stance and better defend himself. Siyavash's zealous assault turns out to be a little too extreme as his swing goes wide in an attempt to get at the enemy.

    Another wolf falls victim to Kenneth's mysterious sleeping hex, suddenly drooping forward even as it attempts to climb into the back of the cart. Seizing the opportunity, Nolk leaps forward and wastes no time in bringing his hammer down at the creature's head in a sickening smash.

    Spoiler: Nolk Coup de Grace
    Show

    Damage: (3d8+9)[22]


    "Aye, thanks fer that! Not sure exactly what yer doin' but it be working!"

    As Solanin's form also begins to shift and change, the peasants and rookie soldiers are clearly getting more and more unsettled. Honestly rather understandable given the circumstances. One of the recruits glances about in wild-eyed fear not only at the wolves, but also at Lanyon and Solanin.

    "S-Sir, what's going on? Are there monsters here too?!"

    His superior is clearly of a more pragmatic mindset, considering his reply.

    "I'd focus more on the fact that they're helping us rather than what they are, recruit!"

    Nolk lifts his hammer up off the greasy stain that used to be a wolf's head with a vicious glint in his eyes. Raising the weapon up over his head, he roars at the darkness.

    "Any more 'o you dogs want some mo- oof!"

    "Look out!"

    The dwarf's taunting is cut short as the other merchant drops his weapon and shoves Nolk bodily from the back of the cart, just as a dark shape leaps through the air towards him. Instead of tackling the dwarf, the thing catches hold of the hapless man in its jaws. You then realize it's a massive wolf, nearly as big as one of the cart oxen, that's attacking. The merchant struggles feebly as the dire wolf's teeth sink into his belly, until the beast gives a sudden twist of its head, ripping him open with a nauseating crunch.

    Throwing the unfortunate victim aside, the dire wolf fixes its eyes on new prey. Sinking its teeth into Solanin's leg, it tries to pull the woman down from her perch on the wagon, but the awkward footing renders it unable to do so; of course this is small comfort when the knife-like fangs have already done their work quite well. Meanwhile, the others find themselves subjected to a renewed wave of fury as the other wolves continue to throw themselves at the caravan; it's pretty obvious that they've become even further emboldened by the presence of the massive pack leader.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Solanin takes 9 damage.

    Wolves also attacked Siyavash, Nikolai, and Armeth. Nikolai took 3 damage from a lucky wolf jumping up and nipping him on his leg.

    The dire wolf can be attacked from the wagons and threatens anybody in them.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: [IC]Vesper: The Siege of Pravhda

    Shocked and intrigued that his companions were shapeshifters, Kenneth's attention is rapidly diverted to the massive wolf attacking them. In a display of great courage, he steps deftly behind Solanin in her new, lizardy form. Shielded from the great wolf, he pulls a roll of paper from the bag on his left hip and unrolls it. The arcane incantation begins its work as he speaks, tendrils of dim silver light creeping their way down to Solanin's leg.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    5-foot step to get behind Solanin and out of the wolf's view.
    Move action to draw a Scroll of Cure Light Wounds.
    Standard action to use it on Solanin.

    Healing: (1d8+2)[5]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •