A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Zinc Saucier XXIV: live another day

Edit to my Judging Criteria:

Ingredient: I will be looking for emulation of things such as hit dice and skills. Getting the prerequisites of the SI would certainly not hurt but I won't put a huge emphasis on it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    Well, that's certainly a contrast. Now I'll have to choose which judge I want to appease.

That's how this works, isn't it?
    Barring any constraints by the Chairman, that is how it works, I'm afraid. There are standard rules for contestants, but if a judge presents scores in the right range in each category they're really following all the rules which exist for them. Posting judging criteria ahead of time is optional. Changing your mind and ignoring your own posted criteria doesn't break any rules. Scoring every entry subjectively by "feel" is perfectly legal. Explanations for scores are not required.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Am I the only person who laughed at the sample character for the Psibond Agent?

Psion? Really? They were released alongside the Thrallherd, who can do everything better than the Agent - with manifesting progression. Geez.
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

So looks like I'm submitting again though I'm really curious as to how the judges will rule on x emulating y. I think my write up should present a strong case but who knows. Stayed away from the fondue this time though.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
    Barring any constraints by the Chairman, that is how it works, I'm afraid. There are standard rules for contestants, but if a judge presents scores in the right range in each category they're really following all the rules which exist for them. Posting judging criteria ahead of time is optional. Changing your mind and ignoring your own posted criteria doesn't break any rules. Scoring every entry subjectively by "feel" is perfectly legal. Explanations for scores are not required.
    I thought Muggins was being sarcastic, and that was what the blue text was for? Humble Master and I's criterion are basically identical, with the exception of me being marginally more interested in a power point than Humble Master.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeren View Post
    I thought Muggins was being sarcastic, and that was what the blue text was for? Humble Master and I's criterion are basically identical, with the exception of me being marginally more interested in a power point than Humble Master.
    You're not the only judges this round.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, I got confused and thought you were judging something else --- had to go back and check which thread is which. Now I see what Muggins is referring to where Humble Master and I are judging power differently from the way you are.

8. - Top - End - #38

I know it's been a while.

So how are the Sauciers doing?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Sent mine in.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

10. - Top - End - #40

Alright, my build is done and dusted.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Completely forgot to finish by builds, and sad to say, but the new IC is speaking even more to me ... going to post my stubs when the characters are uploaded through.

12. - Top - End - #42

There still is some time left to get entries in for those who are interested.

I have three so far which is not too bad considering the ingredient.

13. - Top - End - #43

That's fewer than 7 hours left. The time just flies, huh?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    There still is some time left to get entries in for those who are interested.

I have three so far which is not too bad considering the ingredient.
    only 3 huh - and it looks as if time is up - 12:13 AM Tuesday, May 20, 2014

15. - Top - End - #45

I really need a more reliable internet connection for my home . . .

Here is the reveal for this round. You guys know the drill--please don't post until the all clear.

16. - Top - End - #46

It runs in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalie Mindcrusher
    Spoiler: Amalie Mindcrusher
    Show
    Amalie Mindcrusher
    Lawful Evil Human Telepath 5/Thrallherd 9/ Psionic Mindbender 6
    Base: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 12
    Levels: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 21, Wis 14, Cha 12
    Items: Str 12, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 27, Wis 14, Cha 12

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    Born to spies, Amalie was a natural Telepath, with a focus for making think what she wanted them to. So her nation, an ancient and mighty kingdom, sent her out to spy on and influence a court. She became amazingly talented diplomat quickly. Then her nation sent her orders: Bring it down. She 'hired' assassins to attempt to assassinate the king. what they did not know was that this mission was a trap, and when they arrived, they were defeated by the guard. She used this to influence the King to give her emergency powers. With this, she started expanding her powers, and when the king threatened her, used them to execute the king as a traitor to his nation, and she assumed the throne as the Obsidian Regent. Now, she leads her Kingdom for the glory of her homeland.

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Psion 1 (Telepath) +0 +0 +0 +2 Diplomacy 4 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 4 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks Inquisitor, Martial Study (Clinging Shadow Strike) Psicrystal (Friendly)
    2nd Psion 2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Diplomacy 5 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 5 ranks, Bluff 5 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks -- --
    3rd Psion 3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Diplomacy 6 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 6 ranks, Bluff 6 ranks, Sense Motive 6 ranks, Intimidate 6 ranks Practiced Manifester (Psion) --
    4th Psion 4 +2 +1 +1 +4 Diplomacy 7 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 7 ranks, Bluff 7 ranks, Sense Motive 7 ranks, Intimidate 7 ranks -- --
    5th Psion 5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Diplomacy 8 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 8 ranks, Bluff 8 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks, Intimidate 8 ranks -- Harbinger
    6th Thrallherd 1 +2 +1 +1 +6 Diplomacy 9 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 9 ranks, Bluff 9 ranks, Sense Motive 9 ranks, Intimidate 9 ranks Psionic Talent Thrallherd
    7th Thrallherd 2 +3 +1 +1 +7 Diplomacy 10 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 10 ranks, Bluff 10 ranks, Sense Motive 10 ranks, Intimidate 10 ranks -- --
    8th Thrallherd 3 +3 +2 +2 +7 Diplomacy 11 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 11 ranks, Bluff 11 ranks, Sense Motive 11 ranks, Intimidate 11 ranks -- Psionic Charm
    9th Thrallherd 4 +4 +2 +2 +8 Diplomacy 12 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 12 ranks, Bluff 12 ranks, Sense Motive 12 ranks, Intimidate 12 ranks Psionic Talent --
    10th Thrallherd 5 +4 +2 +2 +8 Diplomacy 13 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 13 ranks, Bluff 13 ranks, Sense Motive 13 ranks, Intimidate 13 ranks -- Psionic Dominate
    11th Thrallherd 6 +5 +3 +3 +9 Diplomacy 14 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 14 ranks, Bluff 14 ranks, Sense Motive 14 ranks, Intimidate 14 ranks -- --
    12th Thrallherd 7 +5 +3 +3 +9 Diplomacy 15 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 15 ranks, Bluff 15 ranks, Sense Motive 15 ranks, Intimidate 15 ranks Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance) Greater Dominate
    13th Thrallherd 8 +6 +3 +3 +10 Diplomacy 16 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 16 ranks, Bluff 16 ranks, Sense Motive 16 ranks, Intimidate 16 ranks -- --
    14th Thrallherd 9 +6 +4 +4 +10 Diplomacy 17 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 17 ranks, Bluff 17 ranks, Sense Motive 17 ranks, Intimidate 17 ranks -- Superior Dominate
    15th Psionic Mindbender 1 +6 +6 +4 +12 Diplomacy 18 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 18 ranks, Bluff 18 ranks, Sense Motive 18 ranks, Intimidate 18 ranks Mindsight Telepathy
    16th Psionic Mindbender 2 +7 +7 +4 +13 Diplomacy 19 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 19 ranks, Bluff 19 ranks, Sense Motive 19 ranks, Intimidate 19 ranks -- Push the Weak Mind 2/d, Skill Boost
    17th Psionic Mindbender 3 +7 +7 +5 +13 Diplomacy 20 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 20 ranks, Bluff 20 ranks, Sense Motive 20 ranks, Intimidate 20 ranks -- Mindread 2/d
    18th Psionic Mindbender 4 +8 +8 +5 +14 Diplomacy 21 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 21 ranks, Bluff 21 ranks, Sense Motive 21 ranks, Intimidate 21 ranks Psionic Talent Eternal Charm (1)
    19th Psionic Mindbender 5 +8 +8 +5 +14 Diplomacy 22 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 22 ranks, Bluff 22 ranks, Sense Motive 22 ranks, Intimidate 22 ranks -- Push the Weak Mind 4/d
    20th Psionic Mindbender 6 +9 +9 +6 +15 Diplomacy 23 ranks, Knowledge (Psionics) 23 ranks, Bluff 23 ranks, Sense Motive 23 ranks, Intimidate 23 ranks -- Telepathy Power Endowment +2, Eternal Charm (2)

Spoiler: Powers
    Show

Level Power Points
    1 2
    2 6
    3 11
    4 17
    5 25
    6 27
    7 37
    8 48
    9 63
    10 77
    11 93
    12 111
    13 131
    14 152
    15 175
    16 175
    17 195
    18 195
    19 221
    20 221

Level Powers Known
    1 Psionic Charm Telepath Power, MindlinkTelepath Power, Conceal Thoughts, Sense Link, Inertial Armor, Distract
    2 Read ThoughtsTelepath Power, Psionic SuggestionTelepath Power, Ego Whip, Id Insinuation
    3 Hostile Empathic TransferTelepath Power, False Sensory InputTelepath Power, Forced Share Pain, Eradicate Invisibility
    4 Psionic DominateTelepath PowerPsionic Modify MemoryTelepath Power, SchismTelepath Power, Death Urge, Psychic Reformation
    5 MetaconcertTelepath Power, Mind ProbeTelepath Power, Psionic True Seeing, Shatter Mind Blank
    6 MindswitchTelepath Power, Mass Cloud Mind, Remote View Trap, Fuse Flesh
    7 Crisis of LifeTelepath Power, Decerebrate, Insanity
    8 Mind SeedTelepath Power, True Metabolism, Recall Death

Spoiler: Breakdown
    Show
    1-5: She's a Telepath. Stay in the back, plink with a crossbow, utterly ruin social encounters.
    6-10: Thrallherd hits here. Thrall and believers are cheese as is, but it's the enhancements to Psionic Dominate, as well as Psionic Charm, that come into play here.
    11-15: Thrallherd ends. Now all you need to do is augment the DCs on Psionic Dominate.
    16-20: Psionic Mindbender's actually pretty awesome. Telepathy comes with Mind Sight as an AMAZING rider. Never be snuck up on again! Crisis of Life, Decerebrate, Insanity, those are all mean moves and those come online right here. Make your enemies crazy, vegetables, crazy vegetables, stop their hearts, make them want to kill themselves! BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Schism, PsyRef, and other nastiness is already available!

17. - Top - End - #47

You'll do what she wants you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cora Starflower
    Cora Starflower
    Elf Psychic Rogue 3/ Psion Telepath 7/ Darkwood Stalker 10

Character Background
    Spoiler
    Show

Background
    Cora Starflower a trickster at heart, a thief by night and has never been very good with people, often seeming aloof to those around, she took it upon herself to go out to learn how to control the powers of her mind so that she could use them to get things when she wanted or needed them.

Spoiler
    Show

Racial Information
    Race: Elf
    +2 Dexterity, –2 Constitution
    Medium
    speed 30ft
    low-light vision
    Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats
    +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks
    Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Orc, Sylvan

Character Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show
    Abilities

32 point buy
    Str 14 Dex 11 Con 14 Int 16 Wis 13 cha 10

Racial
    Str 14 Dex 13 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 13 cha 10

Lvl 4,8,12: Int +3
    Lvl 16,20: Str +2

Lvl 20
    Str 16 Dex 13 Con 12 Int 19 Wis 13 cha 10

Build
    Spoiler
    Show
    Build

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Psychic Rogue 0 0 2 0 Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, Gather Information 4, Knowledge (psionics) 4, Sense Motive 4, Use Psionic Device 4, Hide 4, Listen 4, Spot 4 Extend Power (xph p46) Sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding
    2nd Psychic Rogue 1 0 3 0 Concentration 5, Diplomacy 5, Gather Information 5, Knowledge (psionics) 5, Use Psionic Device 5, Hide 5, Listen 5, Spot 5, Use Rope 1 - Evasion
    3rd Psychic Rogue 2 1 3 1 Concentration 6, Gather Information 6, Move Silently 5, Survival 1cc Track (PHB p101) -
    4th Psion Telepath 2 1 3 3 Concentration 7, Gather Information 7, Bluff 1, Survival 2cc Psicrystal Affinity (xph p49) Bonus feat, discipline - Telepath
    5th Psion Telepath 3 1 3 4 Concentration 8, Gather Information 8, Bluff 2, Survival 3cc - -
    6th Psion Telepath 3 2 4 4 Concentration 9, Knowledge (psionics) 6, Bluff 3, Survival 4cc Dodge (PHB p93) -
    7th 4 2 4 5 Concentration 10, Knowledge (psionics) 7, Bluff 4, Survival 5cc - -
    8th Psion Telepath 4 2 4 5 Concentration 11, Knowledge (psionics) 8, Bluff 5, Diplomacy 3 Improved Psicrystal (xph p47) Bonus feat
    9th Psion Telepath 5 3 5 6 Concentration 12, Knowledge (psionics) 9, Diplomacy 5, Knowledge (nature) 1 Psionic Meditation (xph p50) -
    10th Psion Telepath 5 3 5 6 Concentration 13, Knowledge (psionics) 10, Knowledge (nature) 4 - -
    11th Darkwood Stalker 6 5 7 6 Knowledge (nature) 5, Concentration 14cc, Knowledge (psionics) 12cc - Ancient foe +2
    12th Darkwood Stalker 7 6 8 6 Knowledge (nature) 6, Concentration 15cc, Knowledge (psionics) 14cc Heroic Focus (MoE p48) Uncanny dodge
    13th Darkwood Stalker 8 6 8 7 Knowledge (nature) 11, Concentration 16cc, Knowledge (psionics) 16cc - Sneak attack +1d6
    14th Darkwood Stalker 9 7 9 7 Knowledge (nature) 14, Concentration 17cc, Knowledge (psionics) 17cc - Ancient foe +4, darkvision 30 ft
    15th Darkwood Stalker 10 7 9 7 Knowledge (nature) 17, Concentration 18cc, Knowledge (psionics) 18cc Twin Power (xph p51) Improved uncanny dodge
    16th Darkwood Stalker 11 8 10 8 Knowledge (nature) 19, Concentration 19cc, Knowledge (psionics) 19cc, Ride 2 - Sneak attack +2d6
    17th Darkwood Stalker 12 8 10 8 Knowledge (nature) 20, Concentration 20cc, Knowledge (psionics) 20cc, Ride 5 - Ancient foe +6, darkvision 60 ft
    18th Darkwood Stalker 13 9 11 8 Knowledge (nature) 21, Concentration 21cc, Knowledge (psionics) 21cc, Use Rope 4 Psicrystal Containment (xph p49) Dodge critical
    19th Darkwood Stalker 14 9 11 9 Knowledge (nature) 22, Concentration 22cc, Knowledge (psionics) 22cc, Use Rope 7 - Sneak attack +3d6
    20th Darkwood Stalker 15 10 12 9 Knowledge (nature) 23, Concentration 23cc, Knowledge (psionics) 23cc, Use Rope 10 - Ancient foe +8, death attack

Psychic Powers per day
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonus Power Points based on High Int. score.
    Score 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
    16–17 1 3 4 6 7 9 10 12 13 15

Psychic Powers
    Level PP/day Powers Known Max Level Power Known
    1st 0* 1 1st
    2nd 1 2 1st
    3rd 2 3 1st
    4th 4 3 1st
    5th 8 5 1st
    6th 13 7 2nd
    7th 19 9 2nd
    8th 27 11 3rd
    9th 37 13 3rd
    10th 48 15 4th

Powers
    Spoiler
    Show

Powers

( the powers listed below are not the complete list that could be used, these are listed for the purpose of the SI )

Psychic Rogue Powers

1st
    Astral Traveler
    Psychoportation
    Display: None
    Manifesting Time: 1 hour
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: See text
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Power Resistance: Yes (harmless)
    Power Points: 1

Déjà Vu
    Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
    Display: Mental
    Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./ level)
    Target: One creature
    Duration: 1 round
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Power Resistance: Yes

Disable
    Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Psion/wilder 1
    Display: Visual
    Range: 20 ft.
    Area: Cone-shaped emanation centered on you
    Duration: 1 min./level (D)

Psion Telepath Powers

Sense Link
    Display: Visual
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./ level)
    Target: One willing creature
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level

Empathy
    Range: 30 ft.
    Area: 30-ft.-radius spread centered on you
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Power Resistance: No

Suggestion, Implanted
    Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind- Affecting]
    Level: Psion/wilder 4
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
    Target: One creature
    Duration: 1 day/level or until completed
    Power Points: 7

TELEPATH (TELEPATHY) DISCIPLINE POWERS
    1 Charm, Psionic: Makes one person your friend.
    Mindlink: You forge a limited mental bond with another creature.

2 Aversion: Subject has aversion you specify.
    Brain Lock: Subject cannot move or take any mental actions.
    Read Thoughts: Detect surface thoughts of creatures in range.
    Suggestion, Psionic: Compels subject to follow stated course of action.

3 Crisis of Breath: Disrupt subject’s breathing.
    Empathic Transfer, Hostile: Your touch transfers your hurt to another.
    False Sensory Input: Subject sees what isn’t there.

4 Dominate, Psionic: Control target telepathically.
    *Eratta - Page 96: Dominate, Psionic Power The following paragraph was omitted from the power’s description: 4. If you spend 1 additional power point, this power’s
    duration is 1 hour rather than concentration. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power’s duration is 1 day rather than concentration. If you spend 4
    additional power points, this power’s duration is 1 day per manifester level rather than concentration.

Mindlink, Thieving: Borrow knowledge of a subject’s power.
    Modify Memory, Psionic: Changes 5 minutes of subject’s memories.
    Schism: Your partitioned mind can manifest lowerlevel powers.

5 Metaconcert: Mental concert of two or more increases the total power of the participants.
    Mind Probe: You discover the subject’s secret thoughts.

6 Mind Switch: You switch minds with another.

7 Crisis of Life: Stop subject’s heart.

8 Mind Seed: Subject slowly becomes you.

9 Mind Switch, True: A permanent brain swap.
    Psychic Chirurgery: You repair psychic damage or impart knowledge of new powers

Charater Features
    Spoiler
    Show

Psicrystal, (xph p21, 207)
    Psicrystal Special Abilities
    Owner Natural Int
    Level Armor Adj. Adj. Special
    1st–2nd +0 +0 Alertness, improved evasion, personality, self-propulsion, share powers, sighted, telepathic link
    3rd–4th +1 +1 Deliver touch powers
    5th–6th +2 +2 Telepathic speech
    7th–8th +3 +3 —
    9th–10th +4 +4 Flight
    11th–12th +5 +5 Power resistance
    13th–14th +6 +6 Sight link
    15th–16th +7 +7 Channel power
    17th–18th +8 +8
    19th–20th +9 +9

gain the benefits of both psicrystal personalities

Single-minded +3 bonus on Concentration checks
    Nimble +2 bonus on Initiative checks

psicrystal can hold a psionic focus

SI- Psibond Agent
    Requirements
    Skills: Gather Information 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks.
    * the build has - Gather Information 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks

Languages: Any three.
    * the build has - Common, Elven, Draconic, Orc, Sylvan

Psionics: Power point reserve of at least 1.
    * the build has - 63 power points on base Int + bonus for high Int

Special: Sneak attack +1d6
    * the build has - +4d6

Hit Die: d6; Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level):
    * the build has - D6+d4+D8 an average of D6; and 2 of the 3 classes have Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level)

Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide,

Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Psionic

Device, Use Rope
    * the build has access to all of the above plus several others & uses roughly half of them.

Psibond (forced sense link)
    * the build uses - Sense Link

Psibond (nudge)
    * the build uses - Suggestion, Implanted

Psibond (empathy)
    * the build uses - Empathy

Lingering psibond
    * the build uses - Extend Power

Psibond (suggestion)
    * the build uses - Discipline: Suggestion, Psionic

Double psibond
    * the build uses - Twin Power — Manifest power twice

Psibond (false sensory input)
    * the build uses - Discipline: False Sensory Input

Sneak attack +3d6
    * the build uses - Sneak attack +4d6

Psibond (dominate)
    * the build uses - Discipline: Dominate, Psionic

* the build has the 7/10 or 15/20 attack progression
    * the build has its Reflex save as its best save, while fort and will save are both decent
    * the build makes use of a psicrystal for various application of powers and regaining focus
    * the build uses Psionic Meditation (XPH p50) You can take a move action to become psionically focused
    * the build has - Heroic Focus; As a move action, you can spend an action point to automatically regain your psionic focus. You also gain 1 extra action point each time you attain a level, If you have the Psionic Meditation feat, you can spend an action point to automatically regain your focus as a swift action

Psychic Rogue is a high Tier 3
    Psion Telepath is a high Tier 2 low Tier 1
    Darkwood stalker helps and should add to the Tier of the build

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Sources
    SRD
    Psychic Rogue <http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b>
    Psion Telepath (xph p19)
    Darkwood Stalker (Cwar p23)

18. - Top - End - #48

Makes you look at the Tooth Fairy a little differently now . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel

Isabel, the North Ward Witcher

Spoiler: Fluff
    Show
    "Stewart~"

Something crept through the cold stone walls of Stewart's cell. A voice, distant and unnervingly warm, slipped through his barred window and slid through his ears. It made for a deadly music amidst the dank dark of his cell; enchanting, yet bizarrely out of place. Who could wield a voice so serene in a mudpit like Waterdeep?

"Oh, Stewart~"

The voice came again, still cooing his name. He stood from his corner and went to peer from the window, but nobody was there. Not a soul could be seen upon the rainslick streets of Waterdeep. Thus, he turned back to his cell - only to find a peculiar sight.

"Oh, Stewart. Poor, foolish Stewart," the girl cooed, now there before him in the cell. Her locks were a tawny brown, her midriff bare and etched with six agonised faces. Her teeth and tongue were a silky black, and her red eyes glinted with malice. He recognised her now; those smooth lips, childish face and bloody cudgel were reknown amongst the common rabble. Before him stood the North Ward Witcher, and the sight of her sent fear through Stewart's old heart.

"Please, have mercy!" he cried, "I-I didn't mean to! I swear!"

"Hm? But you looked oh-so gleeful, dear Stewart," she chimed back, "it looked like you were having fun, mister Stewart." She spun that cudgel in her hands, the movement deft and quick. Nails and spikes had been plugged into the end of what looked to be an old bar stool, albeit without the seat. They said she never left their faces intact..

"No, not at all! Never would I delight in the slaughter of innocents!" he said, "i-it was the tooth! Yes!"

"Oh? Well, funny you should mention that," she replied, "because Dahlver-Nar called, silly Stewart. He wants his tooth back."

Stewart spluttered. Her eyes spoke the same as her words; she was deathly serious, even with that pitch black grin. "Then take it!" he howled, "take the stupid tooth, take everything! Leave me with my life, please!"

"Oh, don't worry mister Stewart," she said, "I'll be gentle, just as you were to that wench. Because you were ever so gentle with her, weren't you?"

More spluttering from his useless mouth.

"Besides, I'm not just here for the tooth. I'm here to set things right," she said, reaching out with her spare hand. She pointed a single, dainty finger at him, and continued to smirk her twisted smirk. "Don't worry. This won't hurt much," she cooed, "..not that I've ever asked."

She pressed her finger against his foreheard. For the briefest of moments, he felt like he knew everything; from the stars to the streetears, everything became clearer. Then, not even a second later, it all vanished. And it took his mind with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isabel admired her handiwork. Before he laid the battered corpse of the one known as Stewart, his tooth retrieved and his face unrecognisable. Truthfully, she held no malice over the man's crimes; they were innocent enough, and had not been wrought by one of Dahlver-Nar's teeth. She'd only killed him for the sake of her collection - and, unfortunately for Stewart, he stood in the way of that goal. Dantalion had told her of great things happening once they had been united, and she believed him wholly.

After all, why would the Star Emperor lie to his herald?

Synoposis
    Spoiler: Race, Class, Alignment, Ability Scores
    Show
    Isabel, the North Ward Witcher
    Race: Human
    Classes: Binder 10/Knight of the Sacred Seal 5/Scion of Dantalion 5
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Languages: Common, Giant, Elven

Ability Scores: 32 Point Buy
    Base: 15/10/14/14/8/16
    Levels: +1 Strength, +4 Charisma
    Total: 16/10/14/14/8/20

Base Hit Points: 15d8+5d10

Build
    Spoiler: Table
    Show
    1st Binder 1 +0 +2 +0 +2 4 Bluff, 4 Diplomacy, 4 Gather Information, 4 Knowledge (Arcana), 4 Sense Motive Urban Tracking, Power Attack Soul Binding (1 Vestige)
    2nd Binder 2 +1 +3 +0 +3 5 Bluff, 5 Diplomacy, 5 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 5 Sense Motive Pact Augmentation (1 Ability), Suppress Sign
    3rd Binder 3 +2 +3 +1 +3 6 Bluff, 6 Diplomacy, 6 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 6 Sense Motive, 0.5 [Cross-Class] Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) Weapon Focus (Club)
    4th Binder 4 +3 +4 +1 +4 7 Bluff, 7 Diplomacy, 7 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 7 Sense Motive, 1 [Cross-Class] Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) Bonus Feat: Expel Vestige
    5th Binder 5 +3 +4 +1 +4 8 Bluff, 8 Diplomacy, 8 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 8 Sense Motive, 1.5 [Cross-Class] Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) Pact Augmentation (2 Abilities)
    6th Binder 6 +4 +5 +2 +5 9 Bluff, 9 Diplomacy, 9 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 9 Sense Motive, 2 [Cross-Class] Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) Master Manipulator Soul Guardian (Immune to Fear)
    7th Binder 7 +5 +5 +2 +5 10 Bluff, 10 Diplomacy, 10 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 2 Knowledge (Local)
    8th Binder 8 +6/+1 +6 +2 +6 11 Bluff, 11 Diplomacy, 11 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 4 Knowledge (Local) Soul Binding (2 Vestiges)
    9th Binder 9 +6/+1 +6 +3 +6 12 Bluff, 12 Diplomacy, 12 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 6 Knowledge (Local) Knowledge Devotion (Local) Soul Guardian (Slippery Mind)
    10th Binder 10 +7/+2 +7 +3 +7 13 Bluff, 13 Diplomacy, 13 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 8 Knowledge (Local) Pact Augmentation (3 Abilities)
    11th Knight of the Sacred Seal 1 +8/+3 +9 +3 +7 14 Bluff, 14 Diplomacy, 14 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 10 Knowledge (Local) Aligned Strike, Patron Vestige (Dantalion), Soul Binding +1
    12th Scion of Dantalion 1 +8/+3 +11 +3 +9 15 Bluff, 15 Diplomacy, 15 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 12 Knowledge (Local) Favoured Vestige (Dantalion) Favoured of Dantalion, Scholarship of Dantalion (1/Day), Soul Binding +1
    13th Scion of Dantalion 2 +9/+4 +12 +3 +10 16 Bluff, 16 Diplomacy, 16 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 14 Knowledge (Local) Improved Read Thoughts, Swift Awe of Dantalion, Scholarship of Dantalion (2/Day), Soul Binding +2
    14th Scion of Dantalion 3 +10/+5 +12 +4 +10 17 Bluff, 17 Diplomacy, 17 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 16 Knowledge (Local) Overwhelming Thoughts, Scholarship of Dantalion (3/Day), Soul Binding +3 (3 Vestiges)
    15th Scion of Dantalion 4 +11/+6/+1 +13 +4 +11 18 Bluff, 18 Diplomacy, 18 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 10 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 18 Knowledge (Local) Favoured Vestige Focus (Dantalion) Dantalion's Glare, Improved Thought Travel, Scholarship of Dantalion (4/Day), Soul Binding +4
    16th Scion of Dantalion 5 +11/+6/+1 +13 +4 +11 19 Bluff, 19 Diplomacy, 18 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 11 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 19 Knowledge (Local) Read Multiple Thoughts, Scholarship of Dantalion (5/Day), Soul Binding +5
    17th Knight of the Sacred Seal 2 +12/+7/+2 +14 +4 +11 20 Bluff, 20 Diplomacy, 18 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 12 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 20 Knowledge (Local) Vestige's Protection, Soul Binding +2
    18th Knight of the Sacred Seal 3 +13/+8/+3 +14 +5 +12 21 Bluff, 21 Diplomacy, 19 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 13 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 21 Knowledge (Local) Rapid Recovery (Dantalion) Vestige's Protection Aura, Soul Binding +3
    19th Knight of the Sacred Seal 4 +14/+9/+4 +15 +5 +12 22 Bluff, 22 Diplomacy, 21 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 14 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 22 Knowledge (Local) Vestige's Power, Soul Binding +4
    20th Knight of the Sacred Seal 5 +15/+10/+5 +15 +5 +12 23 Bluff, 23 Diplomacy, 23 Gather Information, 5 Knowledge (Arcana), 15 Sense Motive, 2 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), 23 Knowledge (Local) Apotheosis, Vestige's Surge, Soul Binding +5 (4 Vestiges)

Level Breakdown
    Spoiler: Levels 5, 10, 15, 20
    Show
    Level 5: Binder 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    "As a child, I would play hide and seek within the sewers of my hometown. I'd learned every nook and cranny of that dark, forgotten place by the age of eight, and my folks knew no better. It wasn't like anybody else cared to go looking for me."
    "Of course, all that changed when they kicked the bucket. The butler never told me what happened, but the next thing I know I'm drawing magic circles using sewer gunk. I can dimly remember trying to resurrect my family with the occult, but aside from that? I think it broke me. Hah."

Isabel first vestige is Naberius. His abilities involve manipulation and adaptability, and they are spoken of in detail in the Binding Vestiges section.

By level 5, Isabel is a melee-oriented Binder with some social flair. Urban Tracking lets her find people in smaller villages; a meager ability, but one which will become more important later. Power Attack and Weapon Focus contribute to her effectiveness in combat, and Expel Vestige grants her some flexibility should she need to swap out one vestige for another.

Of the few abilities a straight Binder gets in these levels, Pact Augmentation offers some fantastic flexibility. Whenever she binds to a vestige, Isabel can choose to gain traits like a +2 insight bonus to saving throws or a +4 insight bonus or initiative checks. Not too shabby for a passive ability.

Level 10: Binder 10
    Spoiler
    Show
    "After I picked up my act and pulled things together, making seals and forming pacts wasn't too bad. My earliest ones were so amateur, and I laugh every time I remember binding Aym. Sure came screaming into the mortal plane, that one."
    "Still, I was a quick learner. I figured out how to take care of myself alright, come rain or shine ... not that it ever shined in Waterdeep, but you get the point. Things only got better once I found Dantalion."

Isabel learns to bind a second vestige, Malphas. His abilities revolve around improving her perception, staying hidden and striking from the shadows. See the Binding Vestiges section for a deeper look into his abilities.

By level 10, Isabel's more unique traits are becoming obvious. Master Manipulator lets her deceive those she speaks to, obscuring the facts through the use of her wily tongue. Similarly, Knowledge Devotion offers her a use for her growing knowledge skills.

More straight binding levels, but this time she gets class features. Soul Guardian offers her immunity to fear and slippery mind, both of which are highly valuable abilities to have. Furthermore, she gets an additional Pact Augmentation whenever she binds a vestige.

Level 15: Binder 10/Knight of the Sacred Seal 1/Scion of Dantalion 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh, you know nothing child. You don't know what the embrace of the Star Emperor feels like. You mind, it ... speaks. It tells you things you didn't know, and it reminds you of things you'd forgotten 'til then."
    "Even better, he shows me everything. It's like living on high with those deity folks, 'cept I'm down here and looking into your mind. I hear, see and feel anything that goes on, and the result is a euphoria that you can't even begin to imagine."

Isabel learns to bind a third vestige; in this case it's Dantalion, the Star Emperor. He offers a slew of abilities, all of which are further improved by the [human]-exclusive Scion of Dantalion prestige class. Both Dantalion's abilities and those of the Scion are discussed in the Binding Vestiges section.

By level 15, Isabel has devoted herself to Dantalion while honing her plethora of social and combat skills. She has an average modifier of +25 for Urban Tracking. Among other things, this lets her reliably track down any group or individual in even a Metropolis-sized city within a mere few hours. If someone has something that she wants, such as the various teeth of Cahlver-Nar, then she can - and will - find them. Meanwhile, Favoured Vestige and Favoured Vestige Focus will help to enhance her growing number of Dantalion-specific abilities.

A 1 level "dip" in Knight of the Sacred Seal offers her an evil-aligned strike and, more importantly, proficiency with all armours, all shields and all martial weapons. Isabel will return to this after completing the Scion of Dantalion.

Level 20: Binder 10/Knight of the Sacred Seal 5/Scion of Dantalion 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    "He granted me a lot of things, Dantalion. Some of them were lies, but I saw through them and found the real deal underneath. After all, he's practically handed me immortality on a star-spangled platter with which to do his deeds. Which brings things, quite nicely, back to us."
    "Again; I'm only doing this, mister Rogers, because you have something I want. No - it's something we want. So if you want to die painlessly, dear Rogers, I'd suggest that you hand over that tooth now."

Isabel learns to bind a final, fourth vestige, Haures. His abilities toy with the mind, offering her mental fortifications while at the same time altering the perceptions of others. The Binding Vestiges section goes into further depth about his abilities.

By level 20, Isabel has achieved transcendance - thanks to Dantalion, anyway. Rapid Recovery lets her use his cooldown-based abilities a little more often, rounding out the build quite nicely.

After finishing off the Scion of Dantalion prestige class, Isabel returns to the Knight of the Sacred Seal. Vestige's protection lets her add her Charisma bonus to her armour class and reflex saves, if only for a round. Vestige's Power offers another temporary boost of power, granting bonuses to Strength, Constitution, speed and Will saves. Vestige's Surge lets her use her cooldown-based vestige abilities slightly more often, and Apotheosis grants her the Outsider type with DR 10/Magic. If nothing else, it marks a significant growth in her abilities.

Binding Vestiges
    Spoiler: Pact Magic Abilities
    Show
    Over the course of her career, Isabel learns to bind a number of vestiges. By default, she relies on the abilities of four primary vestiges: Dantalion, Haures, Malphas and Naberius. Each is explained in greater detail below.

Naberius, the Grinning Hound
    Disguise Self: As per the spell. Why take the disguise skill when a vestige can do it for you?
    Faster Ability Healing: Healing 1 point of ability damage per round is nothing to scoff at. Even if it's not always relevant, it's a superb ability.
    Naberius' Skills: Every time Naberius is bound, you gain the use of a number of trained-only skills equal to your constitution modifier. If you want to open a door, you can. If you face an enemy who requires a new Knowledge type, you can now use it. Works great in conjunction with Dantalion's knowledge and Knowledge Devotion.
    Persuasive Words: Starts off as Command 1/5 rounds, then later becomes Suggestion 1/5 rounds. Still a Supernatural ability, still awesome for a diplomancer. Speaking of which..
    Silver Tongue: You can always take 10 on Diplomacy and Bluff checks, and you can make rushed Diplomacy checks at no penalty. Congratulations! With Isabel's ranks in Diplomacy, she can stop any fight before it begins; likewise, her ranks in Bluff allow for even more far-fetched lies than usual.

Malphas, the Turnfeather
    Bird's Eye Viewing: At-will, summon a bird through which you can see and hear. There's no limit on the range of this, and if the bird can see an area then so can Isabel. Good for collecting information, but even more useful when used in conjunction with Dantalion's sight-reliant abilities.
    Invisibility: As per the spell, lasting for a numer of rounds equal to your binder level. Starts as a full-round action to activate, later becoming a standard, move and swift action. This removes any need for the Hide skill and is generally a better ability to have anyway.
    Poison Use: Removes any risk of poisoning yourself when handling, using or applying poison. Decidedly less useful, but can be situationally useful if Isabel wants to, say, poison someone's meal.
    Sudden Strike: As per the class feature, with 1d6 base damage +1d6 per 4 binder levels. Totals to about 6d6 Sudden Strike damage at level 30, which is roughly equivalent to the 7d6 Sneak Attack of a Psychic Rogue 10/Psibond Agent 10 (Which seems like the most reasonable entry path).

Haures, the Dreaming Duke
    Inaccessible Mind: A passive Mind Blank ability which also offers some elements of Nondetection. Good for moving unseen and remaining uninfluenced by others.
    Incorporeal Movement: A passive semi-incorporeal effect, but it only kicks in when moving and doesn't let you move through walls. Not bad, and the 50% concealment can be occasionally useful.
    Major Image: As the spell, but only one at a time. Illusions can be incredible with a little bit of imagination, and they're even better as a Supernatural ability.
    Phantasmal Killer: As the spell, except within a range of 10 feet per binder level. An at-will save-or-die as a Supernatural ability is nothing to laugh at, even if it Phantasmal Killer does allow for two saves.

Dantalion, the Star Emperor (with Scion of Dantalion)
    Awe of Dantalion: Renders you untargetable by enemies for 1 round. Originally a move action, but Scion levels make it a swift action instead. This lets you take actions without provoking attacks of opportunity, and
    Dantalion Knows: Passively grants a +8 bonus to all knowledge checks. Gets ridiculous when combined with Naberius' skills and Scholarship of Dantalion, but still pretty good just with Knowledge Devotion.
    Read Thoughts: Read the thoughts of a nearby, visible enemy if they fail a Will save. With a well-placed crow from Bird's Eye Viewing, this can be practically anywhere within that distance. There's no cooldown either.
    Thought Travel: Teleport to a nearby, visible location. Starts off as a standard action, with Scion lowering it to a move action. If either Isabel or her crow from Bird's Eye Viewing can see past a wall, she can get there.
    Scholarship of Dantalion: Reroll any knowledge check a number of times per day per binder level. If Isabel rolls poorly when using Knowledge Devotion, this can put her back in the game.
    Overwhelming Thoughts: Daze everybody whose mind you're reading, with a Will save to resist. This doesn't have a cooldown like most other vestige abilities, thus allowing Isabel to chain-daze enemies while beating them down with her club. If Isabel gets to act first, she can even keep her enemies perpetually flat-footed.
    Dantalion's Glare: Blind everyone in a small cone, with a Fortitude save to resist. Blinded characters lose their dexterity bonus to AC, thus opening them up to Malphas' Sudden Strike damage on the following turn. Requires that Isabel bares her midriff, but that's okay.

Other Vestiges
    Thanks to the fly, Isabel is able to change some of her abilities during the day. If she ever encounters a situation in which some skills are required over others, she can exchange one vestige - usually Haures - for another. A couple of examples are:
    Otiax, the Key to the Gate: Aside from his concealment, Otiax offers the ability to open and unlock anything with ease. If Naberius' Skills are insufficient, then this puts her back in the game.
    Marchosias, King of Killers: For one thing, he offers hefty bonuses to Hide and Move Silently. Of greater note is the Charisma-based death attack and at-will gaseous form.
    Karsus, Hubris in the Blood: If Isabel wants to find and tear apart active spells, be they Mind Blanks or summoned monsters, this is how she does it. It also gives her the ability to use spell trigger items as a wizard of her binder level, allowing UMD shenanigans - after all, she has the Outsider type and a wand of Alter Self doesn't cost much.

Emulating the Psibond Agent
    Spoiler: Secret Ingredient Comparisons
    Show
    These assume a build of Psychic Rogue 10/Psibond Agent 10, which I believe to be the logical progression.

Hit Points: 20d6
    Isabel has 8d15+5d10 instead.

Skills: 6+Int, Roguey List
    Isabel gets 5 skill points per level, and she can use Naberius' skills to gain extra skills on a temporary basis. By swapping out Haures, she can emulate Open Lock (Otiax) and Use Magic Device (Karsus) or simply gain a bonus to her sneaking (Marchosias). She also has high ranks in both Sense Motive and Gather Information, the latter of which is used to greater effect via Urban Tracking.

Sneak Attack: ~7d6
    Isabel achieves 6d6 Sudden Strike damage while bound to Malphas the Turnfeather, one of her usual vestiges.

BAB: 3/4
    Isabel achieves +15 BAB, as per any other class with 3/4 BAB.

Saves: +6/+14/+6
    Isabel's saves are a complete contrast, instead being +15/+5/+12. However, Vestige's Protection lets her add her Charisma bonus to her reflex saving throws and armour class; with some items, she can easily reach the +14 reflex modifier of a Psychic Rogue/Psibond Agent.

Psibond, Double Psibond, Lingering Psibond
    These are all emulated by Dantalion's Read Thoughts ability and its various improvements. She can read the minds of as many people as her charisma modifier, and she can maintain this ability indefinitely as a move action each round.

Psibond: Forced Sense Link
    Malphas' Bird's Eye Viewing allows her to simulate this ability, and she even uses the bird's skill modifiers rather than her own. In contrast, it doesn't cost her an action to use and she doesn't lose her dexterity bonus to AC while concentrating. Dantalion's Read Thoughts ability may also simulate this ability rather well, reading the mind of her target in order to gather details of their surroundings.

Psibond: Nudge
    Emulated by a simple, no-risk diplomacy or Bluff check as a standard action. This is as close as I could get to the original feel of the ability, and it is sadly not an immediate ability.

Psibond: Empathy
    Read Thoughts lets Isabel detect thoughts in the first round of concentration; since Read Thoughts is already mimicking the Psibond ability, this use is a given. As for the bonuses to Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive, Naberius grants bonuses to the former two skills in the form of risk-free checks and no-penalty rushed diplomancy.

Psibond: Suggestion
    This is Naberius' Persuasive words ability. It's a standard action rather than a swift action, but it has no limit on the number of times it can be used (although it does have a cooldown).

Psibond: False Sensory Input
    Emulated via Major Image and use of the Master Manipulator feat. Also emulated, in part, by ridiculously high modifers on a Bluff check (which, of course, she can take 10 on).

3 Lanugages
    Isabel possesses three languages: Common, Giant and Elven.

Resources
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tome of Magic: Pact Magic rules. Binder, Knight of the Sacred Seal, Scion of Dantalion, Expel Vestige, Favoured Vestige, Favoured Vestige Focus, Rapid Recovery, vestiges (Dantalion, Malphas, Haures, Naberius, Otiax, Marchosias, Karsus).
    Cityscape: Urban Tracking
    Player's Handbook II: Master Manipulator
    Complete Champion: Knowledge Devotion

19. - Top - End - #49

And that's the three of them!

We'll leave it to our esteemed judges now.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

The build i had in mind were

Fluffy white Tibbit Lurk 6 / Shadowmind (Celebral Infiltrator ACF) 9 / Psionic Mindbender 1 / Cognition Thief 4, playing up a right-hand cat being in command with the appearent leader being a charmed or dominated person

21. - Top - End - #51

I was working on a daelkyr halfblood lurk 3/wilder 9 (educated acf)/void mind 8. Wish I would have finished it
    Last edited by Virdish; 2014-05-21 at 06:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Interesting, all of them. School just got out so I'll have plenty of time to judge.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Scores!

Amalie Mindcrusher 7.25
    Spoiler: Amalie Mindcrusher
    Show
    Opening note: With no explanation of how any of this build's elements are supposed to emulate the Psibond Agent, or what levels are supposed to be associated with the 10-level PrC, I may have missed something. If that's the case, please send a rejoinder to the Chairman.

Build Errors:
    • @1: Martial Study (Clinging Shadow Strike)
      Quote Originally Posted by Martial Study
      Select any maneuver from the chosen discipline for which you meet the prerequisite. ... If you do not have martial adept levels, you can use this maneuver once per encounter as a martial adept with an initiator level equal to 1/2 your character level.
      Your initiator level is 0, and you thus do not qualify for a Swordsage 1 maneuver.
    • Intimidate is not a class skill for either Psion (Telepath) or Thrallherd, nor is it a class skill which would be added by Martial Study (Shadow Hand). Total ranks at level 14 should be 8½, not 17.
    • @12: Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance)
      You do not satisfy the prerequisite of 1 martial maneuver due to failure to qualify for Clinging Shadow Strike.
    • @15: Mindsight
      Following the LEVEL ADVANCEMENT order (Player's Handbook, pages 58-59) note that step 7. Feats comes before step 9. Class Features. You do not have the Telepathy prerequisite of Mindsight at the time the feat is selected.
    • Push the Weak Mind uses per day listed do not match Mindbender class table.
    • The Psionic Talent feat's "gain" term is ambiguous. It could be linear (n IPs increased; synonymous with "attain") rather than quadratic ((n2 + n)/2 IPs increased; synonymous with "add"). (The linear interpretation total is increased by 2 PPs the first time you take it, but that total is increased by just 1 additional PP each subsequent time.) The build does not take this ambiguity into account.
    • Skill points at levels 1-7 are 6/level (Human, 16-17 INT). Skill points at levels 8-15 are 7/level (Human, 18-19 INT). Skill points at levels 16-20 are 8/level (Human, 20-21 INT). Only 5 skills points spent are reflected at each level of the build; the remaining skill allocations are not shown.

Innovation 2.5:
    Human race was expected and a choice in common with another entry. Psion (Telepath) was both expected by me and used by another competitor, while prestige class choices were unique and surprising. You merit a bit more than half (1.5/2.5) for each aspect. However, Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance) was expected but then bungled, for a deduction of -.5.

Power 1:
    You've got all sorts of power here, but little of the type associated with the Secret Ingredient. You don't have any sneak attack. You don't have any Gather Information ranks, whereas 8 are required for Secret Ingredient entry. The SI also requires 3 languages, yet the build specifies none. You're one iterative attack below par, and way behind on skills. Both the Secret Ingredient and your Psionic Charm power rely on Charisma, yet you only have +1 CHA modifier. (The reduced PP costs to apply Psionic Charm to many different creature types aren't going to matter if you can't win an opposed Charisma check.) Minimum score.

Elegance 2:
    -.5 illegal build element: Martial Study feat (missed the bowl)
    -.5 illegal build element: Martial Stance feat (missed the bowl)
    -.5 illegal build element: Mindsight feat (missed the bowl)
    -.25 illegal ranks in cross-class Intimidate (missed the bowl)
    -.25 skills listed don't match skill points available (inaccurate menu)
    -.25 Push the Weak Mind uses per day listed do not match Mindbender class table (inaccurate menu)
    -.25 sources not cited except Harbinger (poor ingredient list)
    -.5 no explanation for how recipe satisfies Innovation, Power, Elegance, and Ingredient criteria (poor plating)

Ingredient 1.75:
    Psibond (forced sense link) .1/.5; you know Sense Link but not Forced Sense Link.
    Psibond (nudge) .3/.5; you can use Psionic Suggestion to achieve this, though at a later level.
    Psibond (empathy) 0/.5.
    Lingering Psibond 0/.5.
    Psibond (suggestion) .4/.5; deduction of .1 because level at which Psionic Suggestion was selected not specified.
    Double Psibond 0/.5.
    Psibond (false sensory input) .4/.5; deduction of .1 because level of False Sensory Input not specified.
    Psibond (dominate) .5/.5.
    Sneak Attack 0/.7.
    BAB, saves, and everything else: .05/.3; you should be at about BAB +15, Reflex save +14, and have many more skill ranks.

Cora Starflower 12.2
    Spoiler: Cora Starflower
    Show
    Build Errors:
    • Multiclassing XP penalties were not taken into account. See "Uneven Levels" under XP FOR MULTICLASS CHARACTERS (Player's Handbook, page 60). This ZS competition is predicated on 190,000 XP, the amount necessary to build an ECL 20 character. (Previous competitions under Chairman matti_p had a higher budget of 209,999 XP.)
      Your multiclass character suffers a –20% penalty to XP for each class that is not within one level of his or her highest-level class. These penalties apply from the moment the character adds a class or raises a class’s level too high.
      The favored class for Elf characters is Wizard. At level 4 you have uneven levels (Psychic Rogue 3/Psion Telepath 1); this costs an extra 1,000 XP with the 20% multiclassing penalty to reach level 5. You have uneven levels again starting at level 8 (Psychic Rogue 3/Psion Telepath 5) throughout the rest of the build. Normally progressing from levels 8-20 requires 162,000 more XP; for Cora Starflower the cost with 20% multiclassing penalty is 202,500 more XP. The total "overage" if the character could reach level 20 is 1,000 XP + 40,500 XP = 41,500 XP (231,500 XP minimum instead of 190,000). Unfortunately an ECL budget of 190,000 XP with the uneven levels penalty means the character falls short of level 18; it ends up being only a 17 level build instead of 20. If you had chosen Half-Elf instead of Elf you still would have qualified for entry to Darkwood Stalker and avoided this problem.

Innovation 3.5:
    Elf was a novel racial choice for this contest. Psion (Telepath) was both expected by me and used by another competitor. Psychic Rogue was expected as the most likely way of satisfying the Psibond Agent entry requirements but as the SI is a prestige class rather than base class, elements leading up to the PrC entry point don't merit any deduction. Darkwood Stalker was unique and surprising; however, the execution was flawed as multiclassing XP penalties meant you could not attain the last 3 levels.

Power 2.5:
    In many ways this build is on target for power comparable to Psibond Agent; however, sneak attack and other aspects came up short because the build came up short at only 17 valid levels. You're a bit short on skills, but again the largest shortfall is because of 3 missing levels. The combination of Psionic Meditation and Heroic Focus work nicely to approximate Psibond's independence of psionic focus; that's a better solution than relying on an item (psicrystal). More time and attention to detail would have helped the build. For one example, the Secret Ingredient and the Psionic Charm power are dependent on Charisma, yet Cora Starflower only has 10 CHA. Having that power won't mean much if you can't win an opposed Charisma check.

Elegance 2.9:
    -.5 illegal build element: Darkwood Stalker 8 (insufficient XP)
    -.5 illegal build element: Darkwood Stalker 9 (insufficient XP)
    -.5 illegal build element: Darkwood Stalker 10 (insufficient XP)
    -.5 walls of text, text references rather than links, no class levels listed, plus formatting error in the build table @7 (poor plating)
    -.1 sources only partially cited (poor ingredient list)

Ingredient 3.3:
    Psibond (forced sense link) .1/.5; you know Sense Link but not Forced Sense Link.
    Psibond (nudge) .5/.5; you can use Suggestion, Implanted to this end.
    Psibond (empathy) .5/.5.
    Lingering Psibond 0/.5. Extend Power does not help here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingering Psibond
    Your psibond remains in place for 1 round after you cease concentrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extend Power
    A power with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat.
    Psibond (suggestion) .5/.5.
    Double Psibond 0/.5. Twin Power does not help here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Psibond
    Each psibond must be established separately against a different subject
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Power
    Manifesting a power altered by this feat causes the power to take effect twice on the area or target, as if you were simultaneously manifesting the same power two times on the same location or target.
    Psibond (false sensory input) .5/.5.
    Psibond (dominate) .5/.5.
    Sneak Attack .5/.7; you have +3d6 whereas the minimum through Psibond Agent 10 is +4d6.
    BAB, saves, and everything else: .2/.3; losing 3 levels hurt you here.

Isabel 15.1
    Spoiler: Isabel
    Show
    Opening note: This was a fairly clean build, with no illegal elements that caught my attention.

Innovation 4.75:
    Human race was expected and a choice in common with another entry. All classes were unique, and nothing like what I was expecting. Excellent showing here.

Power 3.75:
    Your vestige abilities are Supernatural, just as the SI's Psibond class features are. However, your sudden strike ability is also Supernatural; compared to the SI's sneak attack not only does it not work when flanking a target, it also fails in an Antimagic Field. Isabel has a a considerable deficit in skills compared to Psychic Rogue 10/Psibond Agent 10 (your specified comparison, which I think is well chosen); that forces specialization on a small subset of what the Secret Ingredient could use. You've got some additional flexibility by having Expel Vestige, but I think Rapid Pact Making would have been a good companion feet to allow you to bind a new vestige when you need it (combat selection if necessary rather than only out of combat). Overall the level of power is reasonably comparable to the SI, and fairly similar in nature if a bit off the actual target's capabilities.

Elegance 4.65:
    -.25 fluff (excess garnish)
    -.1 sloppy attention to details, such as "8d15+5d10" HP; "Thanks to the fly, Isabel is able to change ..."; and "about 6d6 Sudden Strike damage at level 30". (messy menu)

Ingredient 1.95:
    Psibond (forced sense link) .2/.5; you can only perceive half the necessary senses (sight/sound but not smell/taste), never directly from the subject, and only blatantly via a dove/raven (which would be killed as an obvious pest/spy indoors/underground/other places where it would be unnatural).
    Psibond (nudge) .1/.5; you can only daze a target, not nudge them, via Overwhelming Thoughts, and Diplomacy is blatant, so the only option is the more powerful Persuasive Words (mostly only from level 14, double that of a Psychic Rogue 5/Psibond Agent 2).
    Psibond (empathy) .3/.5; Read Thoughts only gives you a clue about the subject's emotional state if they fail their saving throw; otherwise you get surface thoughts alone (no surface emotions).
    Lingering Psibond 0/.5.
    Psibond (suggestion) .4/.5; you're limited to speaking out loud within 30' rather than a mental suggestion within 100'.
    Double Psibond .2/.5. Read Multiple Thoughts gives you a small portion of this, but you can't have multiple birds spying on multiple targets.
    Psibond (false sensory input) .1/.5; this is an awkward emulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by False Sensory Input
    You have a limited ability to falsify one of the subject’s senses. The subject thinks she sees, hears, smells, tastes, or feels something other than what her senses actually report. You can’t create a sensation where none exists, nor make the subject completely oblivious to a sensation, but you can replace the specifics of one sensation with different specifics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Image
    This spell functions like silent image, except that sound, smell, and thermal illusions are included in the spell effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Image
    This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you.
    Master Manipulator's Captivating Speech can distract from an incongruous sight or sound, but not smell, taste, or feel.
    Psibond (dominate) .1/.5; you're attempting to simulate the effect of telepathic Dominate Monster (good for 1 hour) using Diplomacy where a result of "fanatic" is the minimum adequate state for reasonable emulation. Without a guaranteed way of making DC 150 this isn't very good.
    Sneak Attack .4/.7; Supernatural sudden strike isn't as good as sneak attack.
    BAB, saves, and everything else: .25/.3; your Reflex save is a bit low, but mostly you're way behind on skills.

24. - Top - End - #54

Thanks for judging Curmudgeon!

25. - Top - End - #55

Thanks for judging, Curmudgeon.

I wonder if we'll get another judge or two before the second of June?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Yep! I didn't put together a build for this competition, though I intended to. I couldn't come up with anything I liked.

Spoiler: Amalie Mindcrusher, 13.5/20
    Show

Overall: I like the build a lot. I'd consider playing the build. I think you mix in some clever things; especially the extra Mindbender levels. That one really threw me, as I had to look up what levels past 1 of Mindbender did. My one critique is that it doesn't feel like a psibond agent build; a roguey-psychic-manipulator, but instead just a traditional mind-based caster.

Originality: There are two Psion (Telepaths) here, and Mindbender is a classic. Taking more than one level of Mindbender, however, is crazily unique. And Thrallherd is probably pretty rare given this line Any PrC you choose with Leadership or a Leadership-analog has that ability entirely ignored for this contest, as it may neither be used nor traded away via any means whatsoever.” and you fairly ignored thrallheards thrall abilities, rather than writing extensively about them...so thank you. You're a human, which people generally mark down for...but it's not unoriginal, it's classic. I'll give the elf an extra half point instead for using a mediocre race.

4 out of 5.

Power: You get to 8th level powers with standard psionics high powered options and mindsight. You can probably be the parties primary caster or face, though you are missing out on 9ths, you do have options to cut the knot or ruin the game. I'm going to say not full tier 1 power here, but close. 2/ 2.5

Your out of combat abilities are face based and caster based. It's a solid run of things and ends up feeling like a pretty standard mind-based caster. 2/2.5

4 out of 5.

Elegance:

1 base class, two prestige classes, and pretty standard breakpoints. Using feats to grab things that are irrelevant to your build but relevant to the Psi-Bond Agent you're trying to mimic (Assassin's Stance) is odd --- you never mention it in your write up and as far as I can tell never intend to melee or range anyone --- which a Psi-Bond Agent would likely end up doing.

You can't take the feats in the order you present them due to initiator level and feats being gained prior to class features, but reordering them is trivial since most of your feats have no pre-requisites. -0.25 points. You also seem to not have intimidate as a class skill and to have mixed up your intelligence based skill points a bit, so -0.25 for that.

3.5 out of 5.

Resemblance to Secret Ingredient:

You have some of the skills expected (Gather info and sense motive) but miss the rogue list and the 6+int skills. Your hit dice is lower in the end, and you have half the sneak attack a psibond agent with minimal sneak attack will have --- with no intention to use it. You're reflex save is your bad save and your BAB is terrible --- in the end, you're nowhere near the chasis of the class.

On the other hand, you have a slew of charms, telepathy, ways to detect emotions and bonuses to social skills and bonuses to charms. But it's not enough to make you feel like a psibond agent --- you feel like a social focused telepath, instead.

I'll give you a 2 out of 5 here for the spells to mimic class features, the languages, and the power point, but ultimately the way your build plays and the way I expect a psibond agent build to play are very different.

2 out of 5.

Total score: 13.5/20.

Spoiler: Cora Starflower, 14/20
    Show

Overall: Cool build. I like the Darkwood Stalker usage, and think that it was straight forward and did a reasonable job of looking like a psibond agent. The build is nowhere near as powerful as it could be, and I'd really have liked to see practised manifester end up in there --- without it, your metapsionic feats aren't super useful.

Originality: Rogue is the expected entry, but nobody else used it. Psion (telepath), however, showed up in another build, for almost the same number of levels. Darkwood stalker is a very original addition, as is using an elf.

4 out of 5.

Power: With base attack 15 and 4d6 sneak attack, backed by 4th level telepath powers and a decent range of skills, you're probably mid-low tier 3, high tier 4. You don't have any abilities to truly ruin or break the game, but you should be able to consistently perform and interact. You lack combat feats to make the best use of your BAB and Sneak Attack dice, but you have powers for backup and some metapsionic feats, which I'm sometimes less than certain what you plan to do with.

1.5/2.5 for the tier, 1.5/2.5 for the versatility.

3 out of 5.

Elegance:
    2 base classes and one prestige class taken to completion --- but you have multiclass exp penalties, which are, to be fair, dumb rules which I've never heard of implemented before. I'd love a deeper explanation of the feat choice, because I end up looking up a bunch of things to figure out why you took the feats you did. You can only augment to 7 points, because that's your manifester level, which takes off some of the utility of the augment you point out in errata, and your metapsionic feats. It also ends up unclear why you bother mixing in psionic rogue, aside from for evasion and the sneak attack die.

3.5 out of 5.

Resemblance to the Secret Ingredient:

Your chasis is very close to being perfect (hit dice, skills, BAB, reflex save). You have the right minimum amount of sneak attack, and languages, and some power points.

Unfortunately, you can't use twin power on much (since it costs 6 power points), and your power usage is much more limited (based on power points) than a psi-bond agents. But you have most of the abilities in the right sort of way.

3.5 out of 5.

Total: 14/20

Spoiler: Isabel, the North Ward Witcher, 15.5/20
    Show

Originality: Well, I 100% wasn't suspecting a binder here. You're a human, but I still don't really care. You use standard binder choices, but binder choices are pretty limited. Knowledge Devotion is the only thing I look at in the build and say “Oh yeah, everyone uses that.”

4.5 out of 5

Power:

Binders are tier 3; your versatility is excellent (totally phenomenal), but your ability to excel or break the game (tier1-2) is missing. 3.5 out of 5. Your combat feat choices also make me a bit confused; you're looking at power attack, knowledge devotion, and weapon focus: club. I understand weapon focus is necessary for your prestige class...but why is club in there? Do one of the vestiges require it? I skimmed through them all, but can't find it. You're (at the point) only proficient with simple weapons, but how about morning stars or spears or quarter staffs?

Good inclusion of master manipulator, though.

3.5 out of 5.

Elegance:

One base class, two prestige classes taken to completion. Short book list, which is very nice. You don't do anything bizarre/rely on any debate rulings, and you've got full binder casting. The only slight messy bits are putting a single level of Knight of the Sacred Seal early, and choosing a club + power attack+knowledge devotion as your primary weapon when you are ostensibly something of a melee character.

4.5 out of 5.

Resemblance to Secret Ingredient:
    Chasis: Inverting the saves is a minor problem, and the skills I like mildly less than you do, even with vestige swapping and Naebrius' bonuses --- and the sudden strike isn't quite sneak attack. Otherwise, you're good.

Your mimicking the psi-bond based class features is very much of mix of skills and supernatural abilities, rather than just purely supernatural abilities – though good job on a way of finding them. Force sense-link is limited to your pet bird, which is a pretty dramatic limit. I'm not sure read thoughts can get you visuals --- just surface thoughts. Maybe if your bird-targeted creature's surface thoughts were thinking about a description of the exact surrounding...?

You don't feel psionic at all, which is a minor problem for me, given that the title of the class you're attempting to mimic is psi-bond agent. Despite this, I expect the play style between you and the psychic rogue 10/psi-bond agent 10 sitting next to you will be very similar.

3 out of 5

Total: 15.5/20

27. - Top - End - #57

Thanks for judging Ikeren!

And now a dispute for the Man.
    curmudgeon dispute
    Build Errors: XP penalty Uneven Levels: If any two of your multiclass character’s classes are two or more levels apart, the strain of developing and maintaining different skills at different levels takes its toll. Your multiclass character suffers a –20% penalty to XP for each class that is not within one level of his or her highest-level class

**note not limited to base class but applies also to PRC's

Based on your statment then you should either remove the penatly given to the build or assign penalty to the other builds for the same factor as everyone has them

Psychic Rogue 3/ Psion Telepath 7/ Darkwood Stalker 10
    Telepath 5/Thrallherd 9/ Psionic Mindbender 6
    Binder 10/Knight of the Sacred Seal 5/Scion of Dantalion 5

Innovation 3.5
    execution was flawed as multiclassing XP penalties meant you could not attain the last 3 levels.
    *See above XP dispute

Power 2.5:
    In many ways this build is on target for power comparable to Psibond Agent; however, sneak attack and other aspects came up short because the build came up short at only 17 valid levels
    *see above XP dispute

Elegance 2.9:
    -.5 illegal build element: Darkwood Stalker 8 (insufficient XP)
    -.5 illegal build element: Darkwood Stalker 9 (insufficient XP)
    -.5 illegal build element: Darkwood Stalker 10 (insufficient XP)
    *see above XP dispute

-.5 walls of text, text references rather than links
    *not required to provide a link to references and this deduction is not appropriate

no class levels listed
    *all cless levels are listed in the build and refenced= Psychic Rogue <http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b>, Psion Telepath (xph p19), Darkwood Stalker (Cwar p23)

plus formatting error in the build table @7 (poor plating)
    *Yep only human here actuall managed to miss that one

*all sources are cited classes in soures, feats with each feat, skills are associated to the classes, race is in the SRD, so this deduction is also not warented
    So what ingredients are the Sauciers clamoring for upcoming rounds?

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    So what ingredients are the Sauciers clamoring for upcoming rounds?
    Serpent Slayer, from Serpent Kingdoms!
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Response to Cora Starflower

curmudgeon dispute
    **note not limited to base class but applies also to PRC's

Based on your statment then you should either remove the penatly given to the build or assign penalty to the other builds for the same factor as everyone has them
    I'm afraid that's not correct. The Dungeon Master's Guide is the primary source for prestige classes, not the Player's Handbook.
    Spoiler: Errata Rule: Primary Sources
    Show
    Errata Rule: Primary Sources

When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player's Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for playing PC races, and for using base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master's Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player's Handbook, you should assume the Player's Handbook is the primary source. The Dungeon Master's Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.
    Only base classes fall under jurisdiction of the "Uneven Levels" Player's Handbook multiclassing rule.
    -.5 walls of text, text references rather than links
    *not required to provide a link to references and this deduction is not appropriate
    See my judging criteria post here. You're not required to enter at all, but putting your build together skillfully is how you get top marks for Elegance. Any style of entry is allowed so long as it is clear on how the build was made; your style was not clear. As an example, the following excerpt:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Starflower View Post
    Psicrystal Special Abilities
    Owner Natural Int
    Level Armor Adj. Adj. Special
    This should have been a table to get the columns to line up and be readable, rather than a wall of text in a proportional font.
    no class levels listed
    *all cless levels are listed in the build and refenced= Psychic Rogue <http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b>, Psion Telepath (xph p19), Darkwood Stalker (Cwar p23)
    In the build table you've got "Darkwood Stalker", "Darkwood Stalker", "Darkwood Stalker", & c. instead of "Darkwood Stalker 1", "Darkwood Stalker 2", "Darkwood Stalker 3", & c. Not listing the class levels made the build unclear and required extra work on my part to make sure I was judging correctly.
    *all sources are cited classes in soures, feats with each feat, skills are associated to the classes, race is in the SRD, so this deduction is also not warented
    Your build references the power Suggestion, Implanted, from Complete Psionic (pages 102-103) under both Powers and Charater Features [sic]. No mention of Complete Psionic appears in your build. You cited some, but not all, of the sources you used.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

I'd just like to note that Curmudgeon and I produced the same rankings, but I consider his style very Curmudgeonly

I don't like the triple penalization of single errors: You take points off in Power, Elegance, and Use of Secret Ingredient all for the same error. You act like missing multiclass experience penalties is fatal to the build, taking off somewhere around 3 points --- the difference between 2nd and 1st place --- while noting that the error could be solved by merely trivially altering the race. There seems to be a judging paradigm here based around over-penalizing errors that definitely reduces my enjoyment in competing, and I'd hypothesize others, as well.