New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Junkyard Wars in the Playground III: Dragons + Theurges - Kobolds

Welcome to Junkyard Stadium! It is in this hallowed pile of miscellaneous parts that we will hold a competition of Practical Optimization with three components. The catch? Competitors may not use the third item in their builds!

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Goal: For most challenges, the "special components" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret components from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
    If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in Build Stability and/or Power.

Workshop: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon Magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Build Stability below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere as this may cause a Build Stability deduction at the judges' discretion. If you use web material, link it. Dragon Magazine Compendium is allowed.. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt and fractional saves are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em. Please refrain from using Taint unless it's necessary for one or more of the Components.

Completion Time: Contestants will have until [11:59 PM GMT on May 23rd, 2014] to create their builds and PM them to the chairman, Kazudo. Builds will then be posted simultaneously to avoid copying. Judges will have until [11:59 PM GMT on June 6th, 2014] to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted. As the precedence has been set from Episode 2, should all prospective judges have posted their rulings in a neat, timely fashion and all disputes have been settled satisfactorily (to either judges, contestants, or the Chairperson), the judging period may end prematurely to give way to a new episode. No reason to keep working on a finished building and avoid moving onto the next one.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries. Also for this reason, PLEASE do not include any material that may or may not offend any potential viewers/judges/competitors OR break forum rules: It'll be me who gets in trouble for it, and you don't want that! Any builds which utterly and grossly violate forum rules WILL be withheld.

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    2nd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    3rd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    4th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    5th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    6th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    7th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    8th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    9th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    10th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    11th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    12th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    13th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    14th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    15th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    16th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    17th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    18th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    19th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    20th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities

Table Code:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [code]
    NAME OF ENTRY
    [table="class: grid"] [tr][td]Level[/td][td]Class[/td][td]Base Attack Bonus[/td][td]Fort Save[/td][td]Ref Save[/td][td]Will Save[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]Feats[/td][td]Class Features[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]1st[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]2nd[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]3rd[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]4th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]5th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]6th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]7th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]8th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]9th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]10th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]11th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]12th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]13th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]14th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]15th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]16th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]17th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]18th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]19th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]20th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    [/code]

For entries with spellcasting or other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of spells per day/spells known/PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until after the reveal in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned: We're creating one things, not a zillion things. If your entry includes a prestige class or ACF that grants Leadership or a Leadership-like ability as a bonus feat, the feat should be ignored and is not eligible to be traded away for another feat or ACF through any means.

So who wants to sign up as a contestant and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

This competition has two Necessary Components and one Forbidden Component.

Since Junkyard Wars in the Playground has just gotten its third Hit Die and is eligible for a feat, let's have a feature presentation today! No, the requirements aren't feats, they're:

1. Originally introduced in Monster Manual I: The Dragon Type!
    2. Originally introduced in Dungeon Master's Guide I: The Mystic Theurge Prestige Class!
    And the Forbidden Component:
    3. Originally introduced in Monster Manual I: The Kobold Race

Now I know what you're thinking: DRAGONS BUT NO KOBOLDS? THE INHUMANITY!

On the featured events, you're going to be given mountainous build possibilities and, get this

5 Free LA! Completely forgiven!

We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build that doesn't gain a medal. Contestants are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM. Everyone else can vote in-thread.

Ready? Steady? Get to the junkyard and start building!

Previous Competitions:
    Episode 1: Shadowdancer and Sneak Attack, but no Rogue!
    Episode 2: Healing Spells and Ruby Knight Vindicator, but no Cleric!
    Last edited by Kazudo; 2014-05-19 at 01:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Junkyard Wars in the Playground III

Judging Guidelines
    Welcome prospective judges as well to the Junkyard Wars Judging Box! You are incredibly valuable to this competition and we want you to know that.

In an effort to make this competition more about improving overall optimization abilities and not just showcasing those who already can optimize fairly well, I'd like to add a bit to the judging.

To begin with, judges will be expected to put their judging in four categories:

Originality: How original the build is. This can be in terms of using only other builds in the competition or the world of Practical Optimization as a whole. Please keep in mind, however, that this game is over a decade old and that originality is a subjective term.

Power: What kind of power the build can harness. How you judge power level is entirely up to you, but please exercise consistency through your judging.

Use of Secret Components: How well the build synergizes the two required components. In this particular exercise, the forbidden component isn't necessarily going to be a massive hinderance as much as safety rails. However, if any build touches Kobold at all penalize accordingly.

Build Stability: How well the build would stand up to average DM scrutiny. Such things to go here would be number of sources, use of known cheese, etc.

The above four categories will be up for dispute by the contestants. The dispute process will begin once a judge has posted their judging. PM any disputes to the chairman (Currently Kazudo) where he will either attempt to, depending on the dispute, address the problem privately or publicly to ensure that the dispute is handled. NOT ALL DISPUTES WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE JUDGES. The dispute process is PRIMARILY as a method of correcting incorrect rule interpretations, math, or similar things.

Concerning judging criteria: AS A PRE-EMPTIVE MEASURE, I would like to request that judging criteria be first PMed to the chairman (currently Kazudo) for a quick quality check. Once it is deemed worthy, it will be posted anonymously. JUDGING WILL STILL OCCUR AS NORMAL. This is to prevent any bias from individuals wishing to attempt to dispute certain measures of the criteria. It IS ok to say that you're judging, but don't indicate which criteria is yours.

Finally, I would like the judges, if possible, to take a moment and give suggestions on how the build could be improved. These should not impact the scoring or standing of the build at all and are simply a method of constructively being critical of the builds. Don't just tell someone how they did, tell them how you would have improved the build or what happened that you felt could have been done a tad differently. Please put all of these comments outside of your judging to avoid them being confused for judging points which can be disputed.

3. - Top - End - #3

WolfInSheepsClothing

FAC: (Frequently Addressed Concerns)

CONCERNING FLUFF REQUIREMENTS: Should an entrant use a component that has a fluff requirement (Defined as a requirement that has no bearing on crunch rules; see the Assassin for example) please see to it that the fluff requirement is defined and placed in the build. It doesn't have to be a narrative, but a basic breakdown on when and how it occurred, just to sate the requirements.

CONCERNING MULTIPLE ENTRIES: Currently, no contestant can enter more than two builds per person. This hasn't been a problem yet, but in the interests of keeping the pool of builds as understandably small as possible while still wanting to grow the community, I'm instituting a 2 build cap.

CONCERNING BUILD ALTERATIONS: Before the cutoff time and subsequent reveal, alterations can be submitted in whole to the chairman (Kazudo). Please format them as you'd like them to appear with instructions on where to place them. After the reveal, NO ALTERATIONS OF ANY KIND can be made to an entry, so ensure it's what you want to submit!

For this particular contest:

1. What? 5 free LA! What can I do with it? How does it impact the contest?!

Simple: You get 5 free LA. It doesn't impact your build at all. It can ONLY be used for LA. No racial HD or class levels in there at all. LA buyoff is still permitted (though potentially at a Build Stability penalty per judges' discretion), however if you utilize the 5 free LA, you MUST factor that into your equations for figuring LA buyoff rules. That being said, if you ever run into "LA -" when designing your build, you cannot use it unless there is a splatbook permitting it.

2. For the requirements for Mystic Theurge, it says "Able to cast 2nd-level divine spells and 2nd-level arcane spells.". What does this mean?

It means you must have 2nd level spell slots in both categories. Spell Like Abilities and metamagics that temporarily increase spell level will not be enough here unless RAW can be provided that EXPLICITLY states otherwise.

More FAC to come, I'm sure.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

you're gone have to explain the free LA to me
    it sounds to me like we build a 20 level character, and not include the LA? (so you could end up with a total ecl between 20 and 25?)
    sorry if this is an obvious thing, but i'm having more difficulty than i should working it out

anyway, i'll happily join, and hopefully i'll finally be able to submit a build
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn. I think I might aim for an honorable mention, with the flavor of a dragon wizard/cleric, but no dual progression.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Very interesting. I've always wanted to submit a dragon to Iron Chef, but I've never gotten around to it.

If I can't find something absurd to submit, I'll likely be judging again. Depends on how my schedule works out, really.

Edit: Silly Rakaydos. If you say that here, someone might steal your idea!
    Last edited by Muggins; 2014-05-09 at 11:03 AM.
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Hell to the yes. I already have an idea for this one, but I'm wondering if maybe I should just sit back and judge.

Hold on. 5 free LA? You're spoiling us Mr. Chairman.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

8. - Top - End - #8

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    you're gone have to explain the free LA to me
    it sounds to me like we build a 20 level character, and not include the LA? (so you could end up with a total ecl between 20 and 25?)
    sorry if this is an obvious thing, but i'm having more difficulty than i should working it out

anyway, i'll happily join, and hopefully i'll finally be able to submit a build
    Essentially we'll say you pick some race/template/whatever combination that includes up to five LA.

You don't have to compensate for that LA while dealing with the 20 level build. Any more than that and you do. If you decide to do something like LA buyoff, though, and you have +6 LA, then you need to calculate the buyoff for +6 LA, not +1 LA.

Clearer?

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Hell to the yes. I already have an idea for this one, but I'm wondering if maybe I should just sit back and judge.

Hold on. 5 free LA? You're spoiling us Mr. Chairman.
    Yep. For reasons I won't speculate on, but hope that some contestants stumble upon at some point.

10. - Top - End - #10

While this has the potential to be rather interesting, I see some problems. One of these is the dragon handbook. The other is that, on account of all the racial hit dice, we're likely going to see a lot of 'early entry' cheese.

Take that as you will. Also, thanks for the update to judging; I appreciate it.
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yep, could be tricky, but we'll have a lot of varying tactics on this one if I predict it correctly.

RE: Judging: Yeah, I felt it overdue, but it's mostly an experiment. If it works, I'll keep implementing it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    Clearer?
    much

and i've already started book-diving to work out a nice build since i have nothing better to do at 2:30 in the morning
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yep. For reasons I won't speculate on, but hope that some contestants stumble upon at some point.
    Apart from anything else, it makes the banning of kobolds a bit pointless, since you can just ignore Half-Dragon LA. There are a lot of things I could do with regular old LA buyoff or even just eating Dragon LA. But it's your competition and your rules, so I'll play along.

EDIT: Actually, a 0 LA Half-Dragon still has some disadvantages relative to a Dragonwrought Kobold, and I'm speculating too much, so I'll stop now.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2014-05-09 at 12:02 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Chart code is messed up

15. - Top - End - #15

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kobold was forbidden to avoid the inevitable minefields that it comes up with. It's a special competition, though, so I'm taking some liberties. The next two will be fairly normal (aside from the next one, which might have some shenanigans involved. Not sure exactly how.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... is there a divine prestige class that gets access to a large portion of the wizard/sorc list?

17. - Top - End - #17

WolfInSheepsClothing

That's one of them speculation things. Ask those kinds of questions outside of this particular thread, svp.

18. - Top - End - #18

Default Re: Junkyard Wars in the Playground III: Dragons + Theurges - Kobolds

I'm totally in always wanted to build a dragon.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Shame it has to be Mystic Theurge. It really is just the absolute dullest Theurge PrC out there, and there's really only one thing it's good for on a Dragon build. I don't suppose there's any chance it could be extended to any dual-casting PrC?

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

It was originally going to be Geomancer, however.

Aside from Mystic Theurge and Ultimate Magus though, what other DC PRCs are there?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Foluchan Lyrist, Arcane Hierophant, True Necromancer, and maybe Cerebremancer and Psychic Theurge depending on whether magic/psionics counts as dual casting.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2014-05-09 at 03:01 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I put together a build (dual casters are sort of a thing for me), which I find to be the fun part of the competition. Since watching the judging has previously reduced my fun of this competition, I won't be submitting the build. Instead, I'll be judging. My explicit goal for judging this competition is to increase peoples enjoyment of this competition. My judging criterion has been sent. I'll drop my build into a spoilerblock at the end of my judging if anyone is curious.

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

So full dragon type? No dragon blooded type?

Scrubbed to eliminate speculation.
    Last edited by NoACWarrior; 2014-05-09 at 04:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by NoACWarrior View Post
    So full dragon type? No dragon blooded type?

Scrubbed. Nice catch, Kuulvheysoon.
    Tasty, tasty speculation.
    Last edited by Kazudo; 2014-05-09 at 07:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

Sorry I didn't mean to speculate... I just want to know if you intended only for "full" dragon types, or will dragon blood subtypes be ok? The dragon blood subtype is treated as a dragon for most magical effects and mundane effects (such as Favored enemy or slaying).

26. - Top - End - #26

WolfInSheepsClothing

As long as the main type of the final product is "Dragon", any subtypes are really a nonissue as long as it doesn't use the Kobold race in it at all.

27. - Top - End - #27

Also, there are totally more ways to be a dragon. I can't say anything specific, obviously, but keep digging around, NoACWarrior.

28. - Top - End - #28

WolfInSheepsClothing

So far I have one batch of Criteria. I'm going to post it within the next day or so.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Kazudo, you might want to edit Post #24 - your quote still has NoACWarrior's speculation in it.

30. - Top - End - #30

WolfInSheepsClothing

Good catch. Dealt with.