New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Threats a graveyard keeper faces during his shift

Graveyards in tabletop RPGs are almost invariably dangerous, dangerous places. Obviously, then, grave keepers have got be at a pretty high level if they've lasted a while.

I need help in coming up with a list of things that a fantasy graveyard keeper could reasonably be expected to face over his career. So far I have:

• Vengeful spirits of the dead
    • Curses (usually as a result of the above)
    • Zombies and skeletons
    • Necromancer raids
    • Grave robbers
    • Ghouls
    • Giant maggots
    • Being avoided by polite company

Specific monsters that frequent graveyards, from any system, would be appreciated as well.

Thank you for your help. It's getting late, so I may not be able to respond until quite half a day later or so.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Threats a graveyard keeper faces during his shift

Yet another major concern is just about any meat-eating creature with a burrow speed.

I've heard being a wizard makes everything easier, and this doesn't appear to be an exception.
    Only when one becomes the juncture of a meeting of two forces can one begin to understand either...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Maybe he's a 1st level commoner who just runs out and files an extermination request whenever the undead show up?

EDIT: If it's a serious enough problem, and his employers are sufficiently loaded, and they care enough about his life they issue him a shirt of wraith-stalking, to let him keep working, even during infestations.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-05-09 at 08:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

- Pesky kids (potentially creepy looking) getting drunk behind the mausoleums and littering.
    - Stubborn weeds (optionally infused/animated with the dark energies of the dead).
    - Dogs, rats and other scavengers
    - Adventurers looking for grave goods (similar to grave robbers, but less pragmatic about the actual details of their chosen profession...adventurers tend to think of themselves as "the good guys" after all)
    - Adventurers looking to pick a fight (they often like it so much that they do it during their time off)
    - Irate family members of the recently dead (similar to adventurers looking for a fight)
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't forget moody, black-clad Danish princes showing up and delivering soliloquies at you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

- Wizard's apprentices sent to recover unsavory spell components. (Not necromancers looking for corpses, just stuff like "the thighbone of an ancestor" or "the skull of an adulterer," etc.)
    - Wizard's apprentices sent to find non-existing body parts as a form of hazing. ("Hahaha, he really dug up a grave! What a geek!")
    - Cultists performing ceremonies in a place of death.
    - Followers of a rival deity of death who want to take over running the cemetery, either by literaly invading and conquering it, or making it look so incompetently run the town fathers give the job to their temple.
    - Kobolds / goblins / dwarves / etc. who dug their way into the catacombs by accident and now refuse to leave.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

- People trying to build houses there because they "like the neighborhood/ambience"
    - Members of highly intrusive (and annoying) missionarying religions coming and trying to perform their own death rites for the dead "so that they may be embraced by the loving arms of XXX, rather than waste away in hell"
    - Similar to above, only try they dig up and cremate the dead to prevent undead from rising (Rokugan is the only RPG culture I know of that learned its lesson after the first great zombie outbreak - cremate your dead!)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    - Similar to above, only try they dig up and cremate the dead to prevent undead from rising (Rokugan is the only RPG culture I know of that learned its lesson after the first great zombie outbreak - cremate your dead!)
    There's a special type of undead that's a burning skeleton that can be created when you try that.Fire immune, obviously.

-Bone Oozes
    -Negative energy elementals
    -Morhgs (if executed people are buried there)
    -Shadows

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyCouncilMagi View Post
    Yet another major concern is just about any meat-eating creature with a burrow speed.

I've heard being a wizard makes everything easier, and this doesn't appear to be an exception.
    Earth elementals seem like the way to go there. A cleric might see some success in dealing with such things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Maybe he's a 1st level commoner who just runs out and files an extermination request whenever the undead show up?

EDIT: If it's a serious enough problem, and his employers are sufficiently loaded, and they care enough about his life they issue him a shirt of wraith-stalking, to let him keep working, even during infestations.
    I'd at least hope the grave keeper is able to take a wight or two, since the infestation problem only gets worse as you let it... Any spawning undead has the potential to get pretty nasty, and a 1st-level commoner just adds fuel to the fire.

Thanks for the suggestion about the wraith-stalking attire. At-will detect undead looks very, very useful. It's unfortunate that graves are over three feet deep, so you can't tell whether something just came back or not.

You know, I started thinking about that not long after I posted the thread. The only problem is that the Raise Dead spell, the most accessible form of resurrection, needs the entire body intact. But since that doesn't work after CL days, once a corpse has been left around for 2-3 weeks you could cut off a finger, stick it in a labeled jar, and cremate the body.

Of course, a 2-3 week window while keeping a "fresh" corpse is pretty darn significant.
    Last edited by GraySeaJones; 2014-05-10 at 08:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GraySeaJones View Post
    You know, I started thinking about that not long after I posted the thread. The only problem is that the Raise Dead spell, the most accessible form of resurrection, needs the entire body intact. But since that doesn't work after CL days, once a corpse has been left around for 2-3 weeks you could cut off a finger, stick it in a labeled jar, and cremate the body.

Of course, a 2-3 week window while keeping a "fresh" corpse is pretty darn significant.
    I....don't see the point. Most dead people are left that way. Either raising them is too expensive or the gods get a bit upset at people ignoring the natural order of things too often and withhold their blessings. And you wouldn't inter people you planned on resurrecting anyway. At least I've never come across people digging up dead people in cemeteries to riase them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I....don't see the point. Most dead people are left that way. Either raising them is too expensive or the gods get a bit upset at people ignoring the natural order of things too often and withhold their blessings. And you wouldn't inter people you planned on resurrecting anyway. At least I've never come across people digging up dead people in cemeteries to riase them.
    Eh... You're probably right. I'm thinking too much from an adventurer's point of view, here - "irrevocably lost" feels harsh, but most people wouldn't be able to afford a Raise anyway. (And those who can will just pay up front.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    - Pesky kids (potentially creepy looking) getting drunk behind the mausoleums and littering.
    -- Pesky kids and their meddling dog unmasking his attempts to fake a haunting in the graveyard to artificially depress property values and scam the local villagers.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    -- Pesky kids and their meddling dog unmasking his attempts to fake a haunting in the graveyard to artificially depress property values and scam the local villagers.
    --- Incredibly genre-savvy adults and their freakishly large talking great dane (who for some reason doesn't just maul the costumed criminals) figuring out the odd and inefficient plans of amateur criminals through a mixture of lucky guesses and being in the wrong place at the right time.*

Sorry, my internal spellcheck activated.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Melville's Book View Post
    --- Incredibly genre-savvy adults and their freakishly large talking great dane (who for some reason doesn't just maul the costumed criminals) figuring out the odd and inefficient plans of amateur criminals through a mixture of lucky guesses and being in the wrong place at the right time.*
    I think you misspelled "Player Characters".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I think he defined it.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Melville's Book View Post
    --- Incredibly genre-savvy adults and their freakishly large talking great dane (who for some reason doesn't just maul the costumed criminals)
    That's always bothered me! I actually made a comic that's just a giant rant about it.

On topic though, isn't this why there's so many gods of Death? Wouldn't a gravekeeper be a cleric so he could be like 'No! Bad wight! Get back in your grave!"
    Last edited by Kid Jake; 2014-05-10 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    There is a lot of potential here!

- Pesky kids making out in the graveyard and getting hunted by zombies
    - Pesky kids performing a "fake" ritual to summon something and accidentally succeeding
    - Pesky kids smoking <insert local drug here> and accidentally setting fire to something
    - Pesky wizard kids harrassing you (let's see how well you can dig a grave after a Mud to Stone on the ground!)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Actually, I think he defined it.
    This is just going right the hell into my signature.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

There's enough material in here for a campaign.
    * Pesky mafia types trying to bury a former associate alive.
    * Two-bit necromancers trying to be the next BBEG.
    *A perky necrophiliac looking for love in all the wrong places.

...sounds familiar.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Itinerant time travelers wandering in, trying to steal a certain book, then mis-saying the ritual words to safely grab it and waking all the dead in the graveyard instead.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Surely the point of a graveyard is that it's holy ground - so the spirits of the dead are at peace?
    Are the gods / churches in your game setting so slack that they let an obvious thing like this slide?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    Surely the point of a graveyard is that it's holy ground - so the spirits of the dead are at peace?
    Are the gods / churches in your game setting so slack that they let an obvious thing like this slide?
    That might be the point, certainly, but it's a rare thing to be meant literally, as your average hillside villages and the like are highly unlikely to each have enough level 3+ Clerics to maintain a 24/7 Consecrate on an entire graveyard (they can get rather big).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"*sigh* Not another wight infestation..."
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    "*sigh* Not another wight infestation..."
    [Reaches for his +1 Undead-Bane Shovel]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

[Reaches for his +1 Undead-Bane Shovel]
    And his Lantern of Rebuking; after all you ought give the tennants one chance before you lay down the Smite

Clearly the grave keeper is a venerable-age fella

As to dangers: taint elementals, undeath fueled plants, living headstones, vandals, PCs (ie vandals), Deer, Hunters (seriously look at Vienna's Zentralfriedhoff, so big it was used as hunting grounds), Druids, Druids wildshaped into Deer, constructs made of grave dirt or broken tombstones, Vampires gathering up dirt, Historians taking rubbings, Fog
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Awakened Deer Urban Druids Wildshaped into gravestones...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

attacks from a Corpse Gatherer looking to add more corpses to itself
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ~xFellWardenx~ View Post
    That might be the point, certainly, but it's a rare thing to be meant literally, as your average hillside villages and the like are highly unlikely to each have enough level 3+ Clerics to maintain a 24/7 Consecrate on an entire graveyard (they can get rather big).
    Nah, just have a single bishop or whatever come in and cast hallow, once, and there you go. (Might need it cast again when the graveyard expands, but the "undead prevention" part lasts indefinitely.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Nah, just have a single bishop or whatever come in and cast hallow, once, and there you go. (Might need it cast again when the graveyard expands, but the "undead prevention" part lasts indefinitely.)
    That really depends on the availability of mid-level clergy. Besides, hallowing a graveyard would be expensive (visit a graveyard sometime. Even for a small town, a 40ft radius circle is barely going to make a dent. And those things are 1000gp a pop), and the bishop probably has better things to do, such as running his part of the church or persuading mercenaries to clear zombies out of the graveyard.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-05-11 at 10:43 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I can't believe no-one has yet mentioned:
    • Freshly made vampires rising
    • Gargoyles
    • Weeping angels
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain