New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 44 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1299
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Through the Worldspine [IC]

    The entrance to the promised passage is an unassuming slit in an canyon wall. The only vegetation around you is scrub grass and tumbleweeds. Even the morning sun is scorching this close to the equator, but luckily this is one of the arid regions rather than the more humid jungles to the east.



    On either side of the entrance, you can see glyphs scratched into the rock. They are about 4 feet off the ground, and you can see one more inside the natural passageway. Nothing else about the entire affair says dwarven work. This looks like it could be the entrance to any natural cave. The glyphs have a long diagonal line, topped by a shallow upside down v shape. The long diagonal line is cut through the middle by a shorter line.

    Spoiler: Glyph
    Show


    The passage angles sharply left from the entrance, but is narrow -- never more than three feat wide for at least the first twenty feat. It gets darker and curves slightly to the right, so you cannot see beyond that point from here.



    Spoiler: First passage
    Show
    Small - Medium creatures will have to squeeze to get through.
    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Rylie was the best at navigating through the wilderness, so it was only natural that he guided the expedition as best he could with the instructions he was given. For the most part, he stayed visible unless going ahead to scout briefly in a place looked dangerous. He also kept his cloak off. At this point, everyone involved in the mission knew full-well what he was. And besides, it was a lot less tiring to alternate flying and walking.

    Now nearing the "entrance", he finds himself a bit underwhelmed. Had he made a mistake? The others would be right behind him any minute now, so he scanned the surroundings - both near and far - in case there was, in fact, a tunnel of some sort that was closer to what he expected.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    spot: (1d20+9)[14] (for things in the distance)
    search: (1d20+10)[14] (perhaps there's something hidden behind a lot of brush?)

    knowledge (geography): (1d20+6)[21]
    survival: (1d20+7)[27]
    These rolls pertain to how confident he was in his skill to arriving at the correct location.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    "Well, here we are," Redhand says. "Anyone know how to read this rune? Either way, it's clear that dwarves have been here. This could be a secret entrance, or exit."

    Redhand helps the pixie Rylie in his search [take 10]. He invokes the power of Devil's Sight to see in darkness (magical and normal) for the next 24 hours.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Rylie and Redhand

    Neither of you find anything of note outside of the cave. Rylie is certain this is the correct spot.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You could have mad a Decipher Script check for the rune, but none of you have it trained. If you have another skill that you think might overlap (like one of the Knowledges, or even one of your languages might be close), feel free to try it.
    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Rylie responds, his voice sounding small like a child's but calm and well-articulated. "Here, indeed. The entrance has to be somewhere in the vicinity, although I'm not so sure it is that opening. I thought it would have been... bigger."

    He chuckles a little bit and says, "I don't suppose they mean 'do not enter'?"

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned
     
    Jormengand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In the Playground, duh.

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Garen smiles at the pixie. "It does look a bit like that, doesn't it? Or maybe it's a female symbol stuck on a male symbol, with the circle missing." He laughs. "Well, let's have a look at this..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Is the symbol Elven or Draconic?

    Do I know anything about it? (1d20+2)[15] (Knowledge of whatever's relevant, can only succeed maximum DC 10)

    Is the cave or any of the glyphs trapped, or is there anything untoward in the cave? (1d20+9)[12] (Spot) (1d20+9)[14] (Listen)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    "Hmm... or perhaps the arrow indicates a direction of passage, and the diagonal symbolizes the worldspine?" He shrugs and adds, "I can only make an uneducated guess..."

    As they get closer, Rylie's eyes narrow as he makes an initial scan of the inside of the cave for signs of danger.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    spot: (1d20+9)[16] remember low-light vision
    listen: (1d20+9)[25]

    I do not think I have any relevant knowledge skills or languages...

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Garen

    You see nothing out of the ordinary. The symbol is not any that you have commonly encountered

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You'll need Search instead of Spot for traps.


    Rylie

    The same symbol is repeated every five feet or so, for as far into the cave as you can see (about 20' before it turns too much to tell). You hear only your companions walking around you.
    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned
     
    Jormengand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In the Playground, duh.

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You'll need Search instead of Spot for traps.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dammit, this is why I need to stop playing so much Pathfinder.

    Can I swap a few of my skill ranks around, that being the case?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Dammit, this is why I need to stop playing so much Pathfinder.

    Can I swap a few of my skill ranks around, that being the case?
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sure thing, we haven't really started yet. Applies to anyone.
    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    "Alright, well, lets get a move on." Redhand says, squeezing himself into the tunnel. He travels up to the bend and probably continues on until the tunnel widens, unless he sees something obvious that would stop any reasonable person.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    "I'll keep an eye out," Rylie says as he seemingly winks out of existence and becomes invisible. He stays just ahead of the others, flying a little ways above them, though not too far out of reach.

    Spoiler: stuff
    Show
    Rolls for next encounter or interesting thing:
    spot: (1d20+9)[24]
    listen: (1d20+9)[21]
    Hide: (1d20+15)[17] if applicable, then + invisibility
    Move silently: (1d20+14)[34] (not sure how to factor in flying noise)

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    The passage widens after about forty feet, and turns into the cliff more. It is more comfortable to walk or fly here. After another twenty feet of more or less straight corridor, it opens to the right into what sounds like a large room. That last twenty feet have brought you beyond the reach of the sun's dimmest rays. Everything is dark here.

    Spoiler: Redhand or if someone lights a torch
    Show
    The room is large, easily 30x30. There is a long table with benches off to the right of where you are standing. A corridor leads away to the left. On the opposite wall past the bench there is a wooden door fitted into the wall. Debris litters the corners. The symbols continue part of the way around the room to the right, but they are no longer on your left.
    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Rylie could still see well with barely any light but not in pitch-blackness. Once it gets too dark, he waits for one of the front-liners to light a torch or something, as doing so himself would give away his presence.

    When they enter the room, he does a quick search of the area to make sure it's clear (I'm thinking under the bench and in the corner debris).

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    search: (1d20+10)[24]
    spot down the corridor: (1d20+9)[11]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    James

    James unwraps his spears blade, letting out the greenish light that always eminates from it. Not quite as bright as a torch, but good enough for him.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    His weapon fits in the 30% of magical weapons that glow. You have to love a free eternal torch.

    He holds the blade high, trying to give his allies a bit better view of their surroundings.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Redhand needs no light, but welcomes it. "Should we follow the markings, or split off? Rylie, can you search that door? If we open it, we might be able to get a hint as to what lies beyond, and if we should head in that direction. Similarly, if you search the corridor, we can find what lies in that direction. Explore a bit down each path before making our decision."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Rylie briefly appears standing on the bench, a nice way to address the others at eye level without having to constantly hover. He responds in a hushed voice: "To answer your questions: yes. In addition to discovering if there is indeed a passage through the mountains, we were also tasked to thoroughly explore it and make sure it is safe, if you recall. So it's not a question of 'which way' but rather, 'which first'." He grins mischievously.

    He makes a preliminary search of the door for traps/danger, and if it appears safe, tries opening it a little to see if he can tell what is beyond.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    search:(1d20+10)[20]
    move silently (1d20+14)[21] (to help open the door silently?)
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2014-05-14 at 11:29 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]



    You enter the room and look around. James stands near the center and provides light to you all. The rubble is old shattered clay mugs, broken pick handles and other detritus. You find nothing of value in either corner.

    Rylie

    The door is looked with a padlock and hasp on the outside of the door. You see no traps. (You can't move silently the door.)

    Redhand

    Your superior vision allows you to see that the tunnel is straight and clear for a good ways.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I picked places for you based on the "move to the center of the room" directive. I assume Rylie is going to try to pick the lock, so I'm pausing here before the "tries opening it a bit" in case someone wants to do something/move somewhere first.

    Rylie, if you have changed your mind or I have made an incorrect assumption, feel free to choose a different action.
    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    "There's a lock on the door," Rylie mutters back to the others. "Maybe it's a utility room...?"

    He discreetly sets to work on the lock with his tools. If opened, he'll listen just in case there might be something in there before carefully opening the door and peeking through.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    open lock attempt 1: (1d20+10)[14]
    open lock attempt 2: (1d20+10)[29]
    open lock attempt 3: (1d20+10)[19]
    listen: (1d20+9)[21]

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Rylie

    The lock clicks open with your second attempt, and you hear a slight clicking sound, and a brief rustle coming from inside. It is no louder than a whisper, and you can't make out any discernible speech.
    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Seeing the door open, Redhand steps between Rylie and the entrance. "Allow me, please." With one hand, he manifests the eldritch energy into a glaive, and with the other, he pushes open the door. Whatever he sees within the next chamber, he relates to the party.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    As Redhand practically pushes Rylie out of the way to open the door, the pixie quickly unsheathes his short sword and takes to the air, grabbing a hold of Redhand's arm.

    "Wait, I think there's something in there!"

    But too late, he flung the door open, and Rylie turns invisible defensively. Hopefully he is just being overly cautious...

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Strange Bedfellows

    The door opens inward, and Redhand follows it into the entry of the room. There is an awful creature pacing in the corner opposite you. It has the body of a good sized dog, but rather than a regular head, a giant tentacle with an open maw at the end sprouts from the middle of its back. It clicks at you, and then you hear a squeal from the other end of the room. A second beast, much like the first climbs over the remains of what once must have been beds to come closer. Both open salivating mouths are pointed right at you, even though the creatures have no eyes.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Roll for initiative.
    Ugly init (1d20+2)[19]

    The beds in the picture have been destroyed. Those squares are difficult terrain, but passable. If you roll higher init than these guys go ahead and post actions.


    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Rylie eyes the nasty quadrupeds with revulsion. He has no idea what they are, but what he can glean, is that if they appear to see without any eyes, his invisibility probably doesn't help. And it wouldn't be a good idea to get close for that matter.

    He sheaths the sword and gets his bow out instead, backing up slightly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    move action: sheathe weapon
    standard action -> another move action: retrieve bow from haversatchel
    5-foot "step" to D8

    Also, now's probably a good time to get a refresher on ranged combat. Can I shoot through an ally's square, but at a penalty?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned
     
    Jormengand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In the Playground, duh.

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    "Move!"

    Garen rushes forwards, and swings at the nearest creature with a sword.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    G F9-E13

    (1d20+8)[21] Against FFAC
    (4d6+2)[16] Sneak attack 3d6, shortsword +1 1d6+1, STR +1

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    HalflingPirate

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In an Octopus's Garden

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Strange Bedfellows Round 1

    The creature reels from the well placed strike. It lets out a baleful squeal, and the other thing bounds across the room. The injured creature opens its mouth even wider than before and launches a glob of acid at Garen (18 damage, Reflex 15 for half). The thing attempts the same attack, but the spittle hisses harmlessly into the stone floor instead.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Redhand gets an AoO thanks to combat reflexes as Thing moves out of F12 since he mentioned firing up the glaive before opening the door.

    Edit: It is the party's turn again. Garen, please roll your SA separately this time, if it might apply.

    Creature: 16 Damage
    Thing: Undamaged


    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2014-05-17 at 09:37 PM.
    Dex

    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

    Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    James

    A bit slow on the uptake, finally gets into action. He quickly snaps on his huge tower shield, setting his polearm into the dirt to act as a lamp. He the tries to step past Redhand at the door while drawing his flail.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Doning a shield, Move action. Using standard action as a move action to move to E11 and draw his flail. then he will give up the rest of his attacks for the round to get full cover from his tower shield.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Redhand strikes the "thing" with his glaive as it moves, the eldritch energy pulsating, and follows it up with an overhead strike to the same creature.

    Spoiler: attacks
    Show
    AoO (1 of 3/round): (1d20+8)[18], (2d6+6)[13] (vs Touch)
    Regular attack: (1d20+8)[14], (2d6+6)[13] (vs Touch)
    Last edited by esorscher; 2014-05-17 at 10:49 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Rylie wastes no time, beginning to aim, then slightly adjusting to hit the creature that ran between Garen and the others.

    Spoiler: Attack roll!
    Show
    (1d20+1)[2]
    damage: (1d6)[1]
    crit confirm: (1d20+1)[19]
    +crit damage: (2d6)[7]
    Sneak attack: (1d6)[2]

    And yeah, within 30 feet of the closest monster named "thing" and wondering if I qualify for a sneak attack or flank, but maybe if it's preoccupied, it might not notice an arrow being shot at it?


    He unleashes an arrow that miraculously ricochets off a stone on the floor and rockets between everyone's (including the mosnters') legs like a ball through a series of croquet hoops. Such skill! That was just a warning shot! Ha.......
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2014-05-18 at 02:09 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned
     
    Jormengand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In the Playground, duh.

    Default Re: Through the Worldspine [IC]

    Garen, noting that James was being cool and deciding to flank the Thing, decided to give it a good whack. Two good whacks.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Reflex half? Huh? Do you mean reflex NEGATES, huh?

    (1d20+9)[13]

    EDIT: Damn it, that had to happen, didn't it? Screw you RNG.

    Full attack on the Thing.

    (1d20+9)[28] (1d6+2)[5] (3d6)[4]
    (1d20+9)[11] (1d6+2)[5] (3d6)[9]
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-05-18 at 04:20 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •