New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Paragon, Psuedonatural, or Too Close to Call?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gotta be the Paragon!

12 33.33%
  • Psuedonatural is better!

17 47.22%
  • It's waaay too close...

7 19.44%
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Epic Psuedonatural Template VS Paragon! Which do you think wins?

Template Comparison
    {table]Item|Psuedonatural|Paragon|Advantage
    Hit Die|Max/HD|Max+12/HD|Paragon
    Speed|Doubles|Triples|Paragon
    Armor Class|+35 Natural|+12 Insight, +12 Luck, +5 Natural|Psuedonatural
    Attacks|+15 Insight, Extra attacks based on HD|+25 Luck|Psuedonatural
    Damage|2d8+STR|Weapon+STR+20(Luck)|Paragon
    Special Attacks|Rotting Constriction, Improved Grab|+13 Insight to Special Attacks|Toss Up
    Spell-Likes|At Will-Blur, Dimension Door, Shield, Unhallow|+15 CL, G Dispel Magic, Haste, See Invisible 3/day|Paragon
    Special Qualities|Way Better|Way Worse|Psuedonatural
    Saving Throws|As Creature|+10 Insight|Paragon
    Abilities|Str +22, Con +10, Dex +10, Wisdom +10, Intelligence 3+|All+15|Paragon
    Skills|As Creature|+10 Insight|Paragon
    Feats|As Creature|One Bonus Feat|Paragon
    CR|1-6 HD=+16, 7-15=+13, 16+=+10|+15|Psuedonatural[/table]

The Paragon has the slight edge in it's ability to hit things, and it's definately got the edge up on Saving Throws and Hit Dice. But the Psuedonatural has insane Spell Resistance, an insane number of extra attacks at higher HD, and a grapple attack which saps 2d4 Constitution. So which template (and not what it could be applied to for maximum cheese) do you think takes it?
    Gallery 1Gallery 2Gallery 3Make Avatars With MS Paint
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Psuedonatural Template VS Paragon! Which do you think wins?

I have to go with Psuedonatural for the con drain and SR.
    Foolish girl! I am a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class! -Leeky Windstaff, evil gnome druid

On yer feet an' face me! Ye may haf the upper hand in magic, but thar's na way a primary spellcaster like ye can survive in melee fer long if'n he hadn't prepared fer it!

Ah, right. Druid. Ne'er mind, then.
    -Durkon Thundershield

Thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Hmm...Spell Resistance...so many attacks...Pseudonatural.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Err....Paragon...'cause I have applied the Paragon template to a creature but not Pseudonatural.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Pseudonatural. Error! Reboot Universe!

Basically, the Paragon's spell-like abilities are useless given a reasonable amount of HD for an epic template. Supernatural abilities on the Paragon may be pretty killer; the DC on those will be boosted through the roof. But the Pseudonatural is pretty much unhittable, assuming reasonably equal starting stats, and it has some truly killer grappling potential along with a bunch of natural attacks. So unless the Paragon can take out the Pseudonatural with a special attack, the Pseudonatural is going to rip it to bits.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Psuedonatural. I mostly like it for style, but in most situations it's also just plain better. The sheer number of attacks and spell resistance combined with the -5 to CR wipes any advantage Paragon has.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Wouldn't the Paragon's various AC sources give it an edge? Combined they total 6 less than the Pseudonatural's natural armour bonus, but don't the Paragon's insight and luck bonuses apply against touch attacks?

8. - Top - End - #8

Nope. Single source is better. Multiple sources don't stack, and you probably won't find a higher bonus to Natural AC than +35.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

Cthulhu vs Superman? Cthulhu. Though I always wanted to have a campaign where a ritual could apply the paragon template to a specially trained + prepared subject... say a monk that reaches epic levels

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

When he said multiple sources, he meant multiple types. It doesn't matter all that much, though. There aren't very many monsters that rely on touch attacks; incorporeal ones, beholderkin, and a few others like mohrgs. A touch attack is almost always just a precursor to a special attack, and the exceptions (will o' the wisp) do very little damage.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I would go with the Tentacled Beast, but I agree that the Paragon's AC is actually superior to the Pseudonatural's. The Pseudonatural will block most attacks that are affected by Spell Resistance, but the Paragon will easily dodge most of them. Remember kids, Save or Screwed spells generally require some degree of "touching" to connect. Even if it's "just" a Ranged Touch Attack.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Never had the opportunity to really play around with either, so I gotta say too close to call.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If you're looking for a PC challenge, then the insight/luck would be much better in the AC department. PC casters and warriors with Brilliant Energy weapons are a dime a dozen.

I'm biased in favor of Paragon in general, if only because I once got to play a Paragon human with 100 class levels, versus a CR100 Greater Deity. Almost won, too.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Brilliant Energy doesn't bypass Natural armour.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

I always think that it does, for some reason... I can't ever figure out why. I guess because it's the whole touch attack idea thing.

Thankfully, I've yet to make that mistake in-game, and I wasn't the one who assumed that here, yet. I've made enough little faux-pas around here, I'm sure.

16. - Top - End - #16

Hmmm, yeah.

I suppose I'm just used to thinking of it as multiple types being less useful than a single type bonus.
    Last edited by That Lanky Bugger; 2007-02-14 at 08:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

RogueGuy

Psuedonatural is a cooler name!
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

18. - Top - End - #18

Zombie

Or better yet.....
    A Psuesdonatural Paragon Tarrasque!
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rama_Lei View Post
    Or better yet.....
    A Psuesdonatural Paragon Tarrasque!
    Not as terrifying as a Terrasque that just underwent Fusion with a deity.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arceliar View Post
    Not as terrifying as a Terrasque that just underwent Fusion with a deity.
    No, the Pseudonatural Paragon Tarrasque is scarier. Deities are just deities, while the Pseudonatural Paragon Tarrasque is the prime example of perfection in ineffable horrors that are shaped like other ineffable horrors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.