New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Malware and Spyware Help

Okay, I don't know quite what I did, but suddenly ads and double-underlined hyper-links are appearing all over Mozilla for me and I know this is a...very, very poor sign. Problem is, I'm broke and can't afford the good versions of anti-spyware/malware programs. The last time this happened I just ran a quadruple scan of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Hitman Pro., avast, and McAfee Security Scan Plus and it seemed to solve the problem...thing is, at least two of those want me to upgrade to the premium version to keep using them which is the big problem.

Is there any way to get around this or other good, reliable anti-malware/spyware (free) programs that I could run? Or do I need to squeeze money out of...somewhere to buy the upgraded versions of one of the above?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Malware and Spyware Help

Check your browser addons and extensions. It's probably something that snuck in there.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should solve the problem by itsself, and shouldn't be one of the programs saying you need to upgrade to continue using it. Have you run it already?
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Spybot - Search and Destroy are all good options from what I've experienced. Make sure they are up to date.

However,
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Check your browser addons and extensions. It's probably something that snuck in there.
    is most likely the cause if you've already ran some anti-malware scans. Even if you remove the malware, an add-on or change in browser settings will remain until you turn them off. It depends on which browser you are using, but you'll want to clear cache and disable all add-ons, plus restore defaults if possible. That should resolve the issue, then you can go about turning back on the add-ons and settings you want.

Also, scan your computer after you've fixed the issue with your browser - no telling what snuck in while it was still active. What you describe definitely sounds like an add-on.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Open the browser in safe mode and see if the behavior is still the same, if not, go through and check the addons like other said.
    Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
    ᴛʜɪs ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ sɪɢɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ.