Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Reimagining Mythological Dogs Using Mutants and Masterminds

I've got an M&M 2e game going at the moment and one of the recurring plot points involves hints of the government's attempt at manufacturing super-humans. In my next session I'm hoping to reveal the existence of several successful test animals, namely a group of super-powered attack dogs kept around to help hunt down the occasional mistakes.

I'd like to have between six and ten of them but I'm having a hard time coming up with interesting power combinations. So far I've got:

Argos: Golden Retriever. Basically the Captain America of dogs, far stronger, faster and tougher than any dog has a right to be.

Cerberus: Rottweiler. Control of 'hellfire' and enhanced regeneration.

Fenrir: German Shepherd. Monster dog the size of a Volkswagen with a bulletproof hide and claws sharp enough to shred steel.

I've toyed with using Cavall, Culain, Lycaon and Orthus (maybe a limited duplication ability?) but I can't really think of anything good to do with them.

So, can anybody think of a mythological dog with a cool schtick or just a neat superpower to see in dog form?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Reimagining Mythological Dogs Using Mutants and Masterminds

Quote Originally Posted by kidjake View Post
    Culain
    Culain/Culann was the smith whose dog Sétanta killed - the Hound of Culain, or Cú Chulainn. Not the name of the dog.

3. - Top - End - #3

Hrm, so it is. I thought it was 'the Hound Culain' for some reason. I was already reaching with Lycaon though, so I might still roll with it.

My Campaign Journals

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

More seriously:

Laelaps: Bloodhound. Unerring tracking ability and a monster grab bonus.

Tindalos: Greyhound. Teleportation.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

How about Garm? Powers would probably relate to both guarding and breaking bonds as well as general fighting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could have a hound called Baskerville. Make him big, murderous, intelligent and telepathic, so he can basically track a "cursed" target through the surface thoughts of any person who's seen them. Losing your scent won't work on this guy. And he just will not stop until the target's dead.

He can also project a telepathic aura that causes his enemies to hallucinate thick fog and nightmarish supernatural stuff - meaning that if anyone reports a killing, they're even less likely to believe him on account of the reporter sounding like a crazy person.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post

More seriously:

Laelaps: Bloodhound. Unerring tracking ability and a monster grab bonus.

Tindalos: Greyhound. Teleportation.
    Aiming for more of this:

But yeah, basically.

Tindalos sounds like a cool concept. I think I'll add in some thematic spatial warping abilities and see what kind of trouble he can cause.

Laelaps also seems like she'll be a game changer considering the way the story looks like it's going to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Smeagle View Post
    You could have a hound called Baskerville. Make him big, murderous, intelligent and telepathic.
    I really like the idea of a telepathic dog that has more than the old standby of 'see man, bite man.' Definitely going with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    How about Garm? Powers would probably relate to both guarding and breaking bonds as well as general fighting.
    Thinking I might make him a mastiff and pair him with Fenrir. Seems like they'd make a good pair.

My Campaign Journals

8. - Top - End - #8

Obligatory

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/f...lack-dogs.html

Has exactly the dog(s) i read a story about as a kid which stuck with me; a phantom dog which appears to control storms, has lightning/burning powers and is quick and deadly.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jake: Pug. Adept size and shape shifter, as well a being quite stretchy. Not as vicious a fighter as most of the other dogs, but would be a potent ambush threat because of being able to go from being the size of a mouse to a small car in a few seconds or being able to, say, sneak up through a sink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/f...lack-dogs.html

Has exactly the dog(s) i read a story about as a kid which stuck with me; a phantom dog which appears to control storms, has lightning/burning powers and is quick and deadly.
    Every time I read about Black Dogs I end up getting forgetting what I was doing and spend the day reading stories, an attack dog that leaves smoldering corpses is definitely a plus. I could see giving it the Variable power to represent the different varieties, every fight it's something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Jake: Pug. Adept size and shape shifter, as well a being quite stretchy. Not as vicious a fighter as most of the other dogs, but would be a potent ambush threat because of being able to go from being the size of a mouse to a small car in a few seconds or being able to, say, sneak up through a sink.
    I actually considered that, but no one at the table would get it. However a stretchy dog that's basically a living net trap could be a hoot. I think I'd describe it like

and then it just kinda leaps on top of you and grapples.

My Campaign Journals

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

And, of course, if you get really desperate you can always pick Amaterasu. At least if you're fine with selecting a character based on incredibly lame, Japanese puns.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kidjake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Thinking I might make him a mastiff and pair him with Fenrir. Seems like they'd make a good pair.
    If you want a pair of Norse attack dogs, I would normally suggest Geri and Freki. Although, according to that article, Geri might be another name for Garmr and Freki might be another name for Fenrir... so you're doing pretty well, I guess.

I learn something new everyday.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

I'll just leave this here for your perusal later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mythological_dogs

As for suggestions I'm going with Xolotl name after the Aztec god of the fire and lightning. He also guarded the sun as it travelled through the underworld every night. I 'd make him a chihuahua that shoots lightning and has a toughness save and strength much higher than anything that size has any right to have.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2014-05-25 at 02:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    As for suggestions I'm going with Xolotl name after the Aztec god of the fire and lightning. He also guarded the sun as it travelled through the underworld every night. I 'd make him a chihuahua that shoots lightning and has a toughness save and strength much higher than anything that size has any right to have.
    If you're naming it Xolotl, then it has to be a xoloitzcuintle (a.k.a. Mexican hairless).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #15

SamuraiGuy

For a generic supernatural dog, Cu'-Sith is always a possibility: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B9_S%C3%ACth

Powers could be a sonic based fear inducing baying, ability to transform between a corporeal form and an incorporeal mist form, and supernatural strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    If you're naming it Xolotl, then it has to be a xoloitzcuintle (a.k.a. Mexican hairless).
    I suppose one could do that, but it must be a miniature/toy breed of said dog!