A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 217
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Lead by the head guard of the afflicted quadrant's farm, you reach the edge of civilization, and the beginning of the forest. Fortunately for you, the road is mostly untouched these days, and blood still stains the forest path.

    "This is where I leave. Good luck - though I'm sure you won't need it."

    And with that, the party is left alone.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwordChucks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Hmm. I'll see if I can figure out what left these tracks.

    Knowledge (nature): [roll]1d20+13[/roll]

    Do we know of any places in the forest, like hunting lodges, cabins or caves where these tracks might be headed?
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2014-05-26 at 05:21 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwordChucks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    sorry I previewed the post and screwed up the roll

    (1d20+13)[21]

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    Hmm. I'll see if I can figure out what left these tracks.

    Knowledge (nature): (1d20+13)[21]

    Do we know of any places in the forest, like hunting lodges, cabins or caves where these tracks might be headed?
    The road leads all the way to the mountains, where about a half-hour walk in there is an abandoned mine. That's all that's known of the forest.

    In terms of the tracks, it's no animal you know of, though they do somewhat resemble large lizard claws.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-05-28 at 06:54 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    From the shadows, you notice two pairs of small, glowing red eyes. They stare at the party intently for a fraction of a second, and then are gone, accompanied by the patter of feet into the woods.

    You haven't seen creatures with that size of glowing red eyes, but you fight all sorts of monsters, most of which you see for the first time in the process of hunting them.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    FarRealmorOblivion maybe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Let us take the fight to the enemy, whatever they are. Defense is an abysmal bore.
    Assuming we have no mounts available. The red robe will advance down the road as far as the mine and wait for the rest of the party there.
    Tell me if anyone knows what these tracks are.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    I'll be going... we're too loud to properly sneak up on anything. I'll scout ahead, I won't be too far away from you guys though.
    Move Silently: (1d20+5)[10]
    Take it easy Scorpio... you'll find that nothing will be fun if you find yourself without a head.
    Last edited by BygoneQuill; 2014-05-28 at 07:03 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    FarRealmorOblivion maybe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Fire can fix the vast majority or my problems, though I am afraid you are right, in that complete decapitation could be detrimental to one's health. Glory to Kord! Let's go.
    I'm going to run the whole way there

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwordChucks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Dexter places a rock in his ridiculous miner's helmet and follows after Scorpio with Johnny the wonder mule in tow.

    Let's proceed carefully, dying would make for a bad story.

    To emphasize this point Dex draws his longbow and keeps it in the hand opposite the lead rope.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    A mere thirty feet down the road, and well within eyeshot of the rest of the party, two flasks of alchemist's fire fling out of the forest. Additionally, the ground crumbles under his feet and he finds himself falling into a well-disguised pit trap. An almost doglike laughter rings from the forest, though it seems to be fairly far away.

    Spoiler: Attack Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+2)[12]
    (1d20+2)[7]


    Spoiler: Scorpio
    Show
    Make two reflex saves. Also, take 4 fire damage.


    One flask of fire misses completely, crashing into the underbrush and causing a small burst of smoke and embers. The other barely hits Scorpio on the shoulder as he falls, but the impact causes the flask to explode, lighting him on fire in a blast of flaming liquid. However, no further attack materializes.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-05-28 at 07:36 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwordChucks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Initiative roll? (1d20+7)[14]

    Dexter grabs his silk rope from Johnny and ties it to his saddle throwing the other end into the pit.
    Use Rope: (1d20+5)[15]
    (ooc: this probably takes a couple turns to do. I'll keep trying to help him unless something stops me.)

    Say something if you're alive down there!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    They seem far away, we should set up an ambush. It shouldn't be too long before they try to see what they caught.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Despite the apparent danger, there is no further attack throughout the short time it takes Johnny to haul Scorpio out of the pit. However, after a short time, the red eyes appear again, seeming to goad you into following.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    FarRealmorOblivion maybe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    I think I'll be fine. Just a bit of a surprise. Someone go get whatever's in the forest.
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

    (1d20+3)[5]
    (1d20+3)[17]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwordChucks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    I can use my belt to heal you if you think it necessary. I have a keen eye for traps so I'll search just ahead of the party.

    Dex swaps his morning star for his spear and carefully walks ahead of the party poking the ground ahead with the spear-butt.

    Search check for traps: (1d20+11)[25]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Only one more trap surfaces as you check the ground - another round of Alchemist's Fire, which misses you entirely due to your care. The creatures seem to have disappeared down the road, as you are no longer bothered by their goading.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Batpope Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    "This is already going well. Let it be noted that the foes we face are intelligent and conniving as well as evil."

    Aurelius draws his massive blade and holds it in a firm two handed grip as he follows behind the group's resident trap expert.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Avatar by Teutonic Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    This is a much sounder way to travel. With luck i might be able to enjoy a nice ale before the end of the day.
    I follow suit with Aurelius and hold my kusarigame at the ready.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    You reach the mine without a problem, but it has transformed somewhat. The passage has been roughly carved out, so that rather than a small tunnel there is now an approximately fifteen foot wide passage. The ground is covered with damp red moss, and the walls and ceiling are covered in scratches, gouges, and the occasional patch of ash. The air around smells strongly of oil, and every so often a gust of wind will blow out of the cave.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    This looks promising. Before we walk in the front door let's see if there are any other ways to enter the mine. It's hard to have a mine with only one entrance, there wouldn't be enough fresh air for the workers. With luck, if the trees are close enough i could stay off the ground to get a better view.

    Quill looks at the trees and decides to walk/use acrobatic leaping to search for another entrance.
    Search (1d20)[14]
    Last edited by BygoneQuill; 2014-05-31 at 12:21 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    FarRealmorOblivion maybe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Let's clear out whatever's in this place.
    I cast lesser orb of energy fire into the tunnel. Let them burn!
    recharge(1d4)[2]
    Last edited by Arjhan; 2014-05-31 at 12:08 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    By climbing trees, you do find another "entrance" at the top of the mountain, but it's only two feet or so wide. As you would expect, it seems to be for taking in air, and there's a suction strong enough to slightly contort the underbrush nearby.

    However, shortly after Quill climbs the trees, Scorpio's orb of fire shoots down the tunnel, showing that after fifty feet or so, the tunnel seems to end, with only an approximately three foot wide hole in the wall. However, as the orb of fire bursts against the wall, an ember strikes the moss... and the entire cavern immediately lights up, a wave of fire coming towards the party as each piece of moss erupts in a geyser of flame.

    Spoiler: OoC, All
    Show
    Make a reflex save.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    (1d20)[10]

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by BygoneQuill; 2014-05-31 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Bad math

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwordChucks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    reflex: (1d20+4)[14]
    Well...that just happened. Probably set of some traps or alarms, and someone HAD to hear that.

    After picking himself back up, Dex casts light on the rock in his miner's helmet and replaces his spear with the morning star.

    I'll do trap detail again.
    Search using insight point: (1d20+15)[18]

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Spoiler: OoC, All
    Show
    Check the OoC thread! Also, I realize that each person making saves takes forever, so I think I'll make saves for people. On that note:
    Aurelian: (1d20+2)[20]
    Scorpio: (1d20+3)[17]


    Aurelian, Scorpio, and Dexter all manage to dive away from the brunt of the fiery blast, but in a moment of painful irony, the rather-dexterous Quill stumbles on a stone and is engulfed by flame.

    Spoiler: Damage
    Show
    Aurelian: Take 1 damage
    Scorpio: Take 3 damage
    Dexter: Take 1 damage
    Quill: Take 8 damage


    Once Dexter is back up and searching, he finds that the rest of the cavern is entirely untrapped. Additionally, the small hole at the end extends inwards at least thirty feet and seems to be untrapped as well, though it is covered in ash and scratches.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-05-31 at 06:11 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    That hole looks interesting, i'll get through it unheard and unseen and come back to tell you guys what's on the other side.
    Move Silently (1d20+13)[33]
    Hide (1d20+13)[32]

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DwarfClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Listen: (1d20)[18], (1d20)[15], (1d20)[9], (1d20)[18], (1d20)[18] (1d20)[17], (1d20)[20], (1d20)[5], (1d20)[9], (1d20)[9]
    Extra: [roll]1d20[roll], (1d20)[9], (1d20)[4], (1d20)[1]


    Quill silently crawls down the small passage, and despite the rather dark, cramped conditions manages to make it thirty feet in. From there, he can just make out an exit, but it has at least a half dozen creatures watchfully guarding it. Light pours in from the exit, as if the cave was brightly lit something within.

    The creatures are reptilian humanoids, standing around two and a half feet tall, with scales ranging from dark rusty brown to a rusty black color. They have non-prehensile tails and glowing red eyes, and wear mostly blackened leather armor atop ragged red cloth. One, about twice as tall as the others, wears a dented steel breastplate and hefts a stone greatsword - the rest aim crossbows inwards.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-05-31 at 11:04 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwordChucks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Dexter casts Message targeting himself and his party.

    Whispering:This should let us communicate while you scout. Make sure to keep your voice down. It'll wear off in under an hour though.

    Dex covers the light coming from his helmet and draws his morning star and sickle.

    Edit: also leaving Johnny tied up just in the tree line so he can graze, and storing Dex's cloak, snorkel, longbow, and arrows.

    Whispering:I'll watch Quill's back as he scouts.
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2014-06-01 at 09:12 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwordChucks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Dex moves up to the hole Quill dropped into and waits hidden.
    Move Silently + insight: (1d20+14)[29]
    Hide +insight: (1d20+14)[31]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA

    Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Kitka

    Whispers:Alright, I see around half a dozen lizard folk standing at around 76 centimeters and a larger one twice the size with a large sword near the exit. Some of them have Crossbows. You guys allow me to move up a little closer and then move in. Even if you are detected, if I move a good 15 to 20 feet from the tunnel there's a chance I can stay in the shadow. I'll try and get behind the bigger one and be swift about it...
    Scorpio, no fire, or anything loud until Dex tells you to move.
    I recommend that Scorpio be first through the passageway, followed by Aurelian and then Dex.


    Quill begins to maneuver quite carefully in an attempt to hug the walls and remain undetected while the rest of the party moves through the tunnel. He takes out his weapon and holds it at his right hip.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •