A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

eek OOTS #953 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop game—now including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #953 - The Discussion Thread

Wow, kinda didn't see that one coming. There went my hopes that this might at least set off SOME suspicion in the rest of the OoTS members besides Belkar, but apparently not.

Still, I got a laugh with how non-emotive the evil Durkula was with his response after he used Control Weather: "What, it's on the standard spell list, Geez".
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2014-05-26 at 03:02 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Nice control weather effects there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Wow, kinda didn't see that one coming.
    Well half the forum saw it coming, perfectly logical for Durkula

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh. Too bad.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?
    3DS friend code: 3024-8274-5412
    3DS name: Ignispirus
    Friend Safari: Ghost - Shuppet, Pumpkaboo, Spiritomb

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Well half the forum saw it coming, perfectly logical for Durkula
    I don't actually read the OoTS forum. Every once in a while I might, but it's been at least 2-3 months since I last read/participated in a thread outside of the comic thread, and even in the comic thread I generally just come in, leave my comment, and exit the thread. I dislike hearing everyone else's ideas, preferring to come up with my own ideas(wrong 90% of the time, but meh, what's the fun otherwise)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

I must admit I've never played D&D with a cleric involved.

Would there be an actual discernable difference between Durkon pleading Thor for weather help & standard weather control?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-good-reboot)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I wonder if this actually will work

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

While I did see the end coming roughly halfway through the buildup, I was hoping to see how casting a spell is dealt with 'internally'. Ah well. Still a good'un.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Wow, kinda didn't see that one coming. There went my hopes that this might at least set off SOME suspicion in the rest of the OoTS members besides Belkar, but apparently not.
    And didn't really see why it should have raised suspicions if he was no longer a cleric of Thor. Afterall he already admitted his vamperic status gave him an alignment shift towards evil AND that he was now geared towards negative energy instead of positive energy. Really the idea that he's no longer tight with the Lawful GOOD god of thunder should not be much of surprise to the order.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunK View Post
    Same thing, but I expect it to work since I totally expect vampire-Durkon to reach the dwarven lands.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

12. - Top - End - #12

Funny, but it can't work. The spell is powered by Hel but lightening is Thor's domain, therefore Thor wins any divine contest to control the lightning.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ha, this vamp's got balls! Control weather to divert a divine omen, this'll either work or it'll just piss off Thor more.

Thor may be a bit of a buffoon, but he's definitely not the exemplar of a one trick pony.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Smooth as *beep*.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #15

Weird - to see Belkar as somehow the major champion of goodiness in the OOTS. No Wonder Blackwing feels his stomach turned upsidedown.... So strange....

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I very highly doubt you can just Control Weather a storm personally conjured by the God of Thunder. Honestly, I think this is just gonna piss off Thor more.
    In memory of lord Shojo

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    And didn't really see why it should have raised suspicions if he was no longer a cleric of Thor. Afterall he already admitted his vamperic status gave him an alignment shift towards evil AND that he was now geared towards negative energy instead of positive energy. Really the idea that he's no longer tight with the Lawful GOOD god of thunder should not be much of surprise to the order.
    That is a very good point actually. Did Durkula ever specifically say that he no longer got his spells from Thor? I remember him telling at least Roy I believe, that he now had to pray at night time for his spells, but I can't recall if he said whether or not he still got them from Thor. Even if we realize that he likely wouldn't still pray to Thor due to the inherent alignment shift from dwarf to undead dwarf, the rest of the party doesn't have our "outsider" knowledge, and might still be under the impression that he still prays to Thor, so this could have set off some kind of suspicion, even if seems like a "Duh, of course he isn't with Thor anymore" to us.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Weird - to see Belkar as somehow the major champion of goodiness in the OOTS. No Wonder Blackwing feels his stomach turned upsidedown.... So strange....
    Well, this has already been mentionned about Belkar, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Heh, was waiting for the Control Weather spell, but even if he didn't have it prepared, seems like Roy would have understood Thor not listening to just prayers for help given what's happened, so I don't think this was ever going to be as successful as Durkon or Belkar were hoping for.

The smile from Roy is so unsettling though, he's going to feel awful if he finds out the truth about how being turned into a vampire works.
    Awesome avatar made by Erthiz.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It was to be expected that the matter couldn't be solved so quickly into the new book, but I personally find it improbable; Thor should have a much higher caster level for his control weather-type effect and would simply overpower anything the faux-Durkon could throw at the storm. Even the direct intervention of Hel, arguably, might not work, because the storm is Thor's domain specifically.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

This should clear it right up.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    It was to be expected that the matter couldn't be solved so quickly into the new book, but I personally find it improbable; Thor should have a much higher caster level for his control weather-type effect and would simply overpower anything the faux-Durkon could throw at the storm.
    I'm not convinced Thor is directly causing it. Yes it's his domain so Adad can't intervene, but that doesn't necessarily mean Thor is actively creating the storm.
    Last edited by reaverb; 2014-05-26 at 03:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

The spell description is here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWeather.htm

Actually, it seems its' somewhat limited what the spell can do, despite the powerful "Control"-word of the title. You cannot kinda remove one kind of unwanted weather; what you do is call forth one type of weather, as appropriate for the season (and what season is it now, in OOTS-verse?). Those weather types available all seems to be quite harsh; simple "Nice, calm weather" isn't on the list.

Also, the casting time is 10 minutes, and after that there's another 10 minutes until the weather change is finished. So that means at least 15, maybe 20 minutes more With difficult weather for the Mechane. Furthermore, Durkola needs to be able to go through 10 minutes of casting and concentration. Plenty of time for Thor to interrupt with another attack of lightning.

In all, I'm not certain Durkola will pull this through. The appropriate choice for a true cleric of Thor might be - not trying to conquer the god with magic, but simply appealing to your patron deity with a non-magical prayer. After all, we've seen before that deities in OOTS (as in DnD) aren't only there for dealing out spells, they're also deities in the more traditional concept. A high-level cleric of good standing with Thor should be able to appeal for protection against Thor's destructive lightning, even in a situation where lightning storms surrounded the cleric and his company.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I would not expect Durkula to get off the hook this easily. There will be more complications, probably immediately, in the next strip.

(leaning back, enjoying the show)
    Hail Ohnic, god of gamblers and involuntary wanderers!
    If you dare to risk your fortunes against the odds, if you dare to make friends or enemies on the flick of a coin, if you always look forward to what tomorrow may bring, then you are a follower of Ohnic.

"Not a problem, I pack light and talk fast!" – Minrah Elle Shaleshoe

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by reaverb View Post
    I'm not convinced Thor is directly causing it. Yes it's his domain so Adad can't intervene, but that doesn't necessarily mean Thor is actively creating the storm.
    Thing is that the bolt just went around the lighning rod. There's a fair chance that this storm isn't entirely natural.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Waar View Post
    Nice control weather effects there.
    But... we actually haven't seen the Control weather effect, yet..... The weather is unchanged, and will be for at least 10 minutes (the casting time), and then another 10 minutes before the new weather shows up.
    But maybe it was meant kinda sarcastically? "Huh, nice control weather effect, dude...." But still - too early to tell. Depending on the season, we might expect all kinds of un-kind weather to arrive in 20 minutes or so (how many strips is that in OOTS-time? Might be expected around Comic # 1000 or something.....)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Oh Roy. Truly denial is not just a river on a planet that may or may not exist in the OotS continuity.
    Check out my Order of the Stick tribute art at:

http://afreon.deviantart.com/

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Exactly my thought...

Edit :

And actually, I don't think it will.

We have "proof" that it is Thor himself who made the storm :
    - calm weather and then "storm of the year"
    - the lighting that avoid the lighting rod entirely

And knowing that, a normal casting of control weather will NOT by-pass the will of a god ! (especially not Thor storm)
    Last edited by Timy; 2014-05-26 at 04:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Really the idea that he's no longer tight with the Lawful GOOD god of thunder should not be much of surprise to the order.

Lawful? Really? If Thor is Lawful, then Xykon is Good.

Thor may be A-OK with Lawful followers, but he himself is anything but.
    Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    The spell description is here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWeather.htm

Actually, it seems its' somewhat limited what the spell can do, despite the powerful "Control"-word of the title. You cannot kinda remove one kind of unwanted weather; what you do is call forth one type of weather, as appropriate for the season (and what season is it now, in OOTS-verse?). Those weather types available all seems to be quite harsh; simple "Nice, calm weather" isn't on the list.
    You can too remove one kind of unwanted weather. Look right at the bottom of the page:

Control weather can do away with atmospheric phenomena (naturally occurring or otherwise) as well as create them.
    Exactly what Durkon's situation calls for.