Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e, Gestalt] Sun's Hunters

Not if the monsters attack first, then it's self defence
    Is tresspass/breaking and entering evil though?
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

I mean there's killing people, and then there's obliteration and I have a feeling mindstealer dragons fall under the obliteration part

Not that I'm against a party member using a mindstealer dragon, just saying, I'm pretty sure it has an INT higher than most non-INT class adventurers. And beings like that tend to not appreciate being enslave/bound to a squishy mortal.
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-06-07 at 05:30 AM.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Erik Vale I DECLARE THE LAND OF WHICH YOU ARE STANDING ON MINE. TRESSPASSER! *pulls out the skininator*

ChaosArchon Pff what can the wyrmling do. at that time we are level 11. It's not like it has a mother or anything.. right?

Sliver Requesting PF superior summoning
    And can my raven familiar be gheden as well? I'm perfectly fine with a rejection, I just thought it would be thematically appropriate.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2014-06-07 at 06:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

"Theres always a bigger fish, and this one looks pissed"
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    Erik Vale I DECLARE THE LAND OF WHICH YOU ARE STANDING ON MINE. TRESSPASSER! *pulls out the skininator*

ChaosArchon Pff what can the wyrmling do. at that time we are level 11. It's not like it has a mother or anything.. right?

Sliver Requesting PF superior summoning
    And can my raven familiar be gheden as well? I'm perfectly fine with a rejection, I just thought it would be thematically appropriate.
    There's a feat for getting an undead familiar

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

The Spell-stitched one? That is rather fancy. I am only half undead though so that is a step to far

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Question to you guys: Would you rather have separate or combined OOC thread? Your groups will be working for different Sunguises so it wouldn't matter and I'll trust you guys to not use OOC knowledge (Considering that if you want, you can read the other team's thread anyway...)
    I'm fine with either, though I prefer combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephir View Post
    Also, Just asking, Do we Follow the Armor construction Variant Rules ? http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Armor_C..._Variant_Rule)
    This was answered, but I feel obliged to warn you the dandwiki has a fell reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosArchon View Post
    Yeah don't go telling a DM dragons are underused, next thing you know we're facing an brainstealer dragon... fire and mindrape is a horrible way to go

Spoiler: Brainstealer Dragon
    Show
    Couresy of the D&D Demotivators thread
    Could be worse. Could be a Mindwitness. Illithid-Beholder hybrid.

Some of you didn't make your backgrounds according to my requirements so this is a guideline to help you determine what I'm looking for: 10 minute background. You can keep the same format as in the link, change your background or just add what is missing, but please do add something. If you want to keep certain elements hidden from the other players, PM them to me.
    Is my backstory okay? Also, not doing a 10 minute backstory-- I always end up writing to fill a quota, not build a character,

Quote Originally Posted by Tantum Umbra View Post
    There's a feat for getting an undead familiar
    Or a spell. Buy a scroll to avoid the XP cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Working on the BG now. I feel I have a good base for a character and am looking to connect the BG to the suniguises.

To summarize what I understand about sun-hunters: Sun-hunters get their thoughts read and have to obey anything the sunguise wishes. They have to give any particularly unique/fancy treassure to their sunguise, who also gets the glory of whatever they do. Also if they do sneaky or manipulative stuff they will have to tell that they did it at some point. A contract is binding forever, even in the afterlife.
    Now to what they get: Allowance to pass into another Sunguise territory and boons, perks and privileges if the Sunguise feel they deserve it.
    I am finding it difficult to find a reason to why anyone would agree on that contract only with the promise of maybe getting something undefined.

Can anybody help?
    More details on the bright side of being a Sun-Hunter would be appreciated

9. - Top - End - #369

I'm fine with either, though I prefer combined.
    Ahh, right, OOCs... I'm fine with combined up until the point where groups coming into conflict are equally likely, I do think it may lead to some confusion though.
    It's not so much not trusting others to not metagame, it's more not fully trusting myself.

Working on the BG now. I feel I have a good base for a character and am looking to connect the BG to the suniguises.

To summarize what I understand about sun-hunters: Sun-hunters get their thoughts read and have to obey anything the sunguise wishes. They have to give any particularly unique/fancy treassure to their sunguise, who also gets the glory of whatever they do. Also if they do sneaky or manipulative stuff they will have to tell that they did it at some point. A contract is binding forever, even in the afterlife.
    Now to what they get: Allowance to pass into another Sunguise territory and boons, perks and privileges if the Sunguise feel they deserve it.
    I am finding it difficult to find a reason to why anyone would agree on that contract only with the promise of maybe getting something undefined.

Can anybody help?
    ... Ability to actually see the world, more freedom than most people who are probably somewhere between tightly controlled to watched and monitored just in case. [Something between big brother to surveillance cameras everywhere... yes, even there.] Sunguise also just shares the glory I think.
    Also, a measure of protection while travelling, you want to adventure it's rather restricted, unless your a Sun-Hunter, in which case resurrection when the inevitable happens is quite possible/likely.
    The contract isn't binding in the afterlife, only in life and if you ever become resurrected... I don't think you have to keep reporting in if you become, say, a particularly notable pit-fiend.

I think it's mostly for those already inclined to adventure or want to be the best of the best [even if they get slightly less prestige because, low and behold, there's someone infinitely better already at the top, enjoying the perks while playing the MAD balancing act]. Those willing to stay at home and be restricted will be 'happy' to restrain their adventure within the Sunguises territory, or applying for permits to travel across borders. As such, make a character that'd be willing to become a Sun Hunter so they could travel.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Bugbear in the Playground

Some of you didn't make your backgrounds according to my requirements so this is a guideline to help you determine what I'm looking for: 10 minute background. You can keep the same format as in the link, change your background or just add what is missing, but please do add something. If you want to keep certain elements hidden from the other players, PM them to me.
    Is the 10-minute background mandatory or is just having the background, personality, and description written out in paragraph form acceptable? I can whip one up, just wondering if I need to.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Can anybody help?
    Obedience is achieved with the carrot, not the stick. It's not mandatory, but it is to your advantage.
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Erik Vale One thing is to adventure and risk your life on a daily basis. Another is to do the same but you don't get any glory and the cool stuff you get is taken away in exchange for being mindread and controlled. Now if everyone get's mindread and controlled anyway that of course lessen the price.
    Regarding the freedom to travel I don't see any reason for people to not leave the land. Only the borders to the other sunguise-parts is off limit.
    There isn't any special protection. The party is obligated to ressurect a fellow member but if all within the party dies noone is gonna help them.

Vedhin What's the carrot in this case? What isn't mandatory but to our advantage?

13. - Top - End - #373
    Bugbear in the Playground

Obedience is achieved with the carrot, not the stick.
    True. Operant conditioning has shown that positive reinforcement is more effective at altering behavior than negative reinforcement. Though utilizing both would be more effective than either alone, if you're going to focus on the one, I'd go with the carrot.

14. - Top - End - #374

Erik Vale One thing is to adventure and risk your life on a daily basis. Another is to do the same but you don't get any glory and the cool stuff you get is taken away in exchange for being mindread and controlled. Now if everyone get's mindread and controlled anyway that of course lessen the price.
    Regarding the freedom to travel I don't see any reason for people to not leave the land. Only the borders to the other sunguise-parts is off limit.
    There isn't any special protection. The party is obligated to ressurect a fellow member but if all within the party dies noone is gonna help them.
    1: May, Gloy is shared [at least, my reading. It's more a "Mine did this!" [With my sponsership/help, details vary] than "I did this."
    2: Judging by the map, I think the Sunguises own everywhere, so there's nowhere to move except within the territory.
    3: ... Good point.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Any deeds that may be deemed "great", "inspiring", "impressive", "atrocious", "vile crimes that threaten to unfold existence itself" or in between, will also be credited to the sponsoring Sunguise
    I would assume all glory goes to the sunguise but you might be right.

Wait. there is a map?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Vedhin What's the carrot in this case? What isn't mandatory but to our advantage?

This answer your question?

The Contract

Spoiler
    Show
    ...The Sunguise may request any specific course of action or goal to be achieved, but the members are free to decline without repercussions, although performing the requested acts will be quite beneficial to the party...

tl;dr: Do whatever you want. The Sunguise has first dibs on whatever you get and takes credit for whatever awesomeness you do.

17. - Top - End - #377

Ok, that quote suggests all glory, however as said, freedom in exchanged for mind-reading/close surveillance [... Damn that's an Oxymoron] and glory taking/sharing...

That'd even work for non travelling types. "You want your wares to travel the globe and be renowned as a master craftsman? Ok, I get credit and get to mind-read you. Don't like it, you don't get world wide/extra-planar renown."
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-06-07 at 10:08 AM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

It's credit as being the guy you work for, not "I did this" but "my guys did this.

Also, Sun's Hunters are highly esteemed and even without additional boons and perks from the Sunguises, others treat them well. You could easily walk into a noble's mansion uninvited and they'll feed you and offer you to stay as long as you wish, just for the bragging rights. (And saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

(And saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

21. - Top - End - #381
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well... professional is more of an attitude than anything else.
    Not sure if all of us would really qualify as professional.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

Eilyra Dlardrageth, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
    Violet, A Faerie Affair
    Adamant, Planescape: Full Circle

22. - Top - End - #382

I don't think we'd qualify as professional as we don't get paid, we get money [goods] taken from us.

... Also, I need to lose a quote, Silver/Ved/Janus, do you mind if I quote the bit leading up to that murderhobo description. Because it's really awesome.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-06-07 at 11:18 AM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

All this talk of professionalism is making me wish I had rolled a Sniper expy instead Oh well to late to change

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

You get paid for everything that the Sunguise gets from you...
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

We get paid - just not with the choice bits. Those are part of what we're paid to retrieve.

It's a job - if you're not fond of it, there are plenty who'd be happy to take your place, I expect. And if you're no good at it, likewise I'm sure.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (Just trying out Dash's attitude. He's very practical - he's doing what he's asked to because it gets him what he wants. He sees what he does as a job, and he tries to do well at it because he believes in being good at what he does - and because he gets to practice being good at what he enjoys (combat).)

26. - Top - End - #386

... Oh. Well then we are the professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos...

I take it the Sunguises' have all had a good laugh that they've privatised/regulated/other fancy worded murderhobos?
    Show

Life is Hectic.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

For all we know they may have been the world's first murderhobos, you don't become epic without breaking ALOT of eggs (and skulls).

28. - Top - End - #388

Nah... Probably the worlds first 12 sets [I think that's the territory number, one for each party wizard].
    Show

Life is Hectic.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    I don't think we'd qualify as professional as we don't get paid, we get money [goods] taken from us.

... Also, I need to lose a quote, Silver/Ved/Janus, do you mind if I quote the bit leading up to that murderhobo description. Because it's really awesome.
    Perfectly happy! Dash's attitude: you can whine about the way the world works while you work to support the system, or you can suck it up and be good at what you do without complaint. I have no time for whining.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post

Go right ahead.