New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Class Skills as Proficiencies

I have never been perfectly comfortable with the way Skills are capped at [3 + Level]. It always seemed a bit too arbitrary to me.

So, I was considering an alternative, which was to treat Skills as Proficiencies that you invest points in. Basically, if a Skill is a Character's Class Skill, he is Proficient in that Skill. If not, then he has a -4 Penalty when trying to use that Skill (since he isn't Proficient in it). A Character would be able to invest Skill Points in Cross Class and Class Skill, but the number of points would be limited by Level (i.e. 1 Point per Level). A Character could become proficient in one or more skills via a Feat of some sort or Multi Classing or whatever.
    Obviously, some DCs might have to be altered, but I don't think that is too big a deal. So, does anyone see any other problems with this approach for 3.x?
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-02-20 at 06:41 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Class Skills as Proficiencies

I'm not sure I fully understand, let me see: you're saying, in this system, one could buy ranks in all skills for the same cost, but non-class skills would have a permanent -4 penalty, no matter how many ranks you had? And there would be no max ranks...but you could only put in 1 point/level?

It seems to me that this isn't a big enough change to go to the trouble. But maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The max Ranks would be [Level]. Skills a Character isn't Proficient in would be -4, instead of the half ranks, half max thing.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

4. - Top - End - #4

Hmm, I see. At first blush, it seems like that would work fine...although as you say, some DCs might have to be adjusted since a character is going to have a slightly harder time using a skill at a given level.

The other thing to consider is, at level 1, the cross-class penalty is a really big deal...but at level 20, not so much. Whereas in the current system, a cross-class skill is always going to be only half as good.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Monsters. They get (X + int modifier)xHD skill points anyway. This might not be large problem but it does favour monsters.

This is from players point of view.

6. - Top - End - #6

Err...how does it favor monsters? A player still gets (x+int)xlevel points in this system, as far as I can tell...they're just distributed differently.

7. - Top - End - #7

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBrigade View Post
    Err...how does it favor monsters? A player still gets (x+int)xlevel points in this system, as far as I can tell...they're just distributed differently.
    Because monsters , if I'm correct, get (X+INT)xHD and classes get (X+INT)x(3+HD) so they have (X+INT)x3 less skill points.
    If you do it like Matthew suggests then both get (X+INT)xHD skill points.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ohh, I see what you mean, yes. The players are usually ahead of the monsters, and now they're not anymore. I'm not sure that would be that big of a deal, but I guess it could in some situations. PLAYTESTING!

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfFighterGuy

Sorry about that. I thought that monster HD doesn't give you x4 skill points at first HD, but they do.
    Conclusion: I'm not correct.
    Last edited by marjan; 2007-02-20 at 07:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I agree with SpiderBrigade - it seems perfectly fine at low levels, but there might be problems at higher level; a flat -4 isn't much of a penalty when you've got 20 ranks. In essence, there isn't enough of a drawback to a cross-class skill at high level to make it "feat-worthy". At low level, the -4 is very significant.

If you changed the scale to a flat +1 per level (as opposed to level+3), you'd need to lower all the DCs by around 3 or so, but that's doable, even on the fly.

Switching all skill acquisition to 1:1, though, isn't a problem for me. I find it encourages a little bit more versatility, and having a fighter have a couple of ranks worth of Spot isn't a bad thing.
    Last edited by Golthur; 2007-02-21 at 10:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

That's a good point, and it would be a bit strange to have a 20th Level Player Character Fighter being able to achieve 16 Ranks in a Skill which he is not proficient. On the other hand, he would have a BAB of 16 with a weapon with which he was not proficient. Hmmn. Have to have a think about this.