Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default How's this feat?

I'm making a campaign setting, D20 with psionics instead of magic. This feat is for it; it's based off of the Redheaded feat from Ravenloft.

Psionic Prodigy (General)
    Prerequisites: Cha 11+
    Benefits: Select one 1st-level psionic power. You may manifest that power once per day as a psi-like ability. You manifest this as a Psion with a Manifester level equal to your hit dice.
    Special: A character must select this feat at first level. Characters with this feat usually have an unusual appearance outside the racial norm, like platinum hair or catlike eyes. These normally provide no in-game effect.

What do you think?
    Last edited by atemu1234; 2015-05-30 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Manifester Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: How's this feat?

love it!
    I'm a huge fan of that Ravenloft Feat and also Feat's that affect characters in a physical and therefore roleplaying way.

Only thing I can see as a change as allowing the character to swap it for Wild Talent (Or maybe a Metapsionic Feat if they have Wild Talent already) when they take a level of a psionic class: there may be a point where the extra PP is worth it for a higher level psionic character and that would help leverage some room to grow later.
    Just an idea.
    It is by my pen that I do swear
    To write up classes and content with care.
    To review, critique, and P.E.A.C.H. those in need
    These are the words of the homebrewer's creed

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

The line "these normally provide no in game effect." is not necessary.
    Once a day is good at first level, but very quickly becomes a bad feat.
    Why Charisma? That means that the number of people who can actually
    use this feat is very small.
    You might consider increasing the number of times per day it can be used
    as the character levels up, and maybe even make a feat chain so that
    they can use higher level psionic abilities.

So:
    Psionic Prodigy (General)
    Prerequisites: Cha 11+
    Benefits: Select one 1st-level psionic power. You may manifest that power once per day as a psi-like ability. At each level divisible by 3, you may manifest the power one additional time each day.
    Special: A character must select this feat at first level. Characters with this feat usually have an unusual appearance outside the racial norm, like platinum hair or catlike eyes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reminds me of the Hidden Talent feat, which is a first level only feat from the Expanded Psionics Handbook (pg 67).

Don't forget to include what manifester level you can use the power at, remembering that a psi-like ability works as if a number of power points equal to its manifester level, were used to manifest it.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2014-06-06 at 06:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

This, mechanically, seems just like Hidden Talent, except with increased manifester level and less uses per day.
    Also, does having this feat let you take psionic, metapsionic, or psionic item creation feats? It's unclear, because although the SRD says:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Psionic feats are available only to characters and creatures with the ability to manifest powers. (In other words, they either have a power point reserve or have psi-like abilities.)
    it is unclear whether the feat actually grants the power as a psi-like ability.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show