New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Questions about Staves

Some slightly random questions... Thanks in advance. I think.

a) Are staves necessarily wooden?

b) If not, can you silver a staff?

c) The spell shillelagh specifically states that it impacts 'your own nonmagic club or staff'. Does that mean that it stacks with things like masterwork?

d) Could you have an Animated Object that's a staff? And, if so, any thoughts on using it in combat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Questions about Staves

a) If you're talking about a quarterstaff (as opposed to a magic staff). Then yes, they are typically wooden. A staff made from steel or metal would be a lot more like a double ended mace than a quarterstaff (if for no other reason than it now weighs a whole lot more)

b) You can only add alchemic silver to a weapon made from steel.

c) Shillelagh can be cast on a masterwork weapon but it does not provide any additional benefit. Both provide an enhancement bonus, which does not stack.

d)No reason why you could not. However it would not be terribly effective. It would be a medium animated object just like any other.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krill View Post
    Some slightly random questions... Thanks in advance. I think.

a) Are staves necessarily wooden?

b) If not, can you silver a staff?
    a) Magic staves (the ones that have 50 charges and let you cast several spells) aren't. The quarterstaff weapon, however, is always considered wooden. If you try to make a metallic quarterstaff, it will be a custom weapon (or, if you re-write the fluff, I suppose it could use the mechanics for a Dire Flail or something).

b) Again -- magic staff or quarterstaff? You can't silver a quarterstaff.
    If for some bizarre reason you wanted to silver a magic staff, I'd say you can, but for the same price upgrade that it would take to normally silver a similar weapon.

c) The spell shillelagh specifically states that it impacts 'your own nonmagic club or staff'. Does that mean that it stacks with things like masterwork?
    Masterwork gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus to hit. Shillelagh gives the staff a +1 enhancement bonus to hit and to damage. Enhancement bonuses don't stack with each other. A Shillelagh-ed staff is no different whether it is masterwork or not.

d) Could you have an Animated Object that's a staff? And, if so, any thoughts on using it in combat?
    You can Animate a staff, yes. It would fight like any other Animated Object. Since it would probably be ruled to be Small at the biggest, I think you'd usually have a more effective target to Animate with your spell (though the flavor is kind of cool). See also: Dancing Weapons.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Magical staves can be fashioned out of anything. My characters' staves (to name just a couple) have varied between a thicken oaken staff, a slim silver birch staff with silver caps and a magically-strengthened rune-carved bone from a dragon's forearm.
    Magical staves can be given an enhancement bonus to hit on both ends and treated as a magic quarterstaff as well as their magical abilities.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Awesome. Thanks all!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Actually, if you want to enchant a magic staff as a weapon, wouldn't you have to add 600 gp for the double-masterwork quarterstaff to the price, before adding any gp for the special abilities and enhancement bonus?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well you would, yes, but I was somewhat naively expecting that a magical staff would be a masterwork quarterstaff first. (I know - faulty assumption!)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

A stave is one of the most dangerous weapons of the ancient world. The use of wood stems from it being a common and easily worked material as well as light weight but there are sources on "Iron Cored" Staves that are designed to block blades with.

A steel staff is possible to be sure, and not "like a double ended mace" because of the style with which you use the staff. I myself have a steel staff at home for sparring against live blades.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The tetsubo, eh?

10. - Top - End - #10

And there shouldn't be anything to stop you having a silvered quarterstaff - made of wood (or whatever) but shod with silver at each end
    Look at me - I'm Robespierre!

Have you ever considered eating your own lungs? I can show you how to prepare them if you'd like.

Safe is for NPCs. I live on the edge

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ethdred View Post
    And there shouldn't be anything to stop you having a silvered quarterstaff - made of wood (or whatever) but shod with silver at each end
    There is something stopping you; the fact that a weapon has to be made of steel normally to be silvered. Quarterstaves are wooden.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Well you would, yes, but I was somewhat naively expecting that a magical staff would be a masterwork quarterstaff first. (I know - faulty assumption!)
    Nope. Most of them aren't quarterstaffs at all. The staff of power is, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    There is something stopping you; the fact that a weapon has to be made of steel normally to be silvered. Quarterstaves are wooden.
    Yeap. Them's the rules. If there's an all-metal staff weapon in some book, then you can go nuts.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The conan rpg treats the staff as a reach weapon which you can strike adjacent targets...
    Arma virumque cano,

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    To be coated in alchemical steel perhaps, but all you're looking to do is add a bit of silver to the thing you're hitting the werewolf with. Or am I the only person who's ever seen a wooden stick shod with metal?
    Look at me - I'm Robespierre!

Have you ever considered eating your own lungs? I can show you how to prepare them if you'd like.

Safe is for NPCs. I live on the edge

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Elemental silver and alchemical silver are not the same substance. Alchemical silver hurts lycanthropes; elemental silver doesn't.

Elemental silver is too soft to be used for a weapon, anyway. Same with elemental gold.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2007-02-23 at 10:27 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."