New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 114
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default PTU: The Beast Within

    Spoiler: How this will work
    Show
    Besides this post, I'll be doing an individual post for each person. I'll try to wait till everyone posts, but since this is Solo games I may just post as I get time to post. You can find me on the pad I sent you guys, you'll more likely to find me there than me responding to PM.

    Fawkes
    Weildon's face was flustered with the heat and bustle of the Jousting event. He was located in the stables where the Ponyta and Rapidash were held and prepped for the jousts for the day. FAWKES! Fawkes, I need refreshment! It was midday, and even in the shade of the stables, it was sorching and the Master of Ceremonies was sweating profusely, threatenign to stain his lavish outfit. I must look proper for the Jousts, Fawkes!

    Tarn
    It was late night in the City of the Gods. You had been on the road since early morning and reached the city in the late evening. You had been to half a dozen taverns and hotels and all have turned you down. Some because they were legitimately full, other because you lacked the funds for their lavish rooms. By most denied you because you lacked the 'finery' they thought needed in such a place as the City. Have you found us a room yet Son? I'm fit as I once was but a man's gotta rest eventually! Your father's belly aching had only increased after every place was turned down.

    Saminra
    The room you found yourself in was dim and smokey, completely blocked off from the scorching desert sun. You were seated on lavish pillows of fantastic purple and gold, a comfort you have rarely felt. Across from you sat the heir prince, Ehbrim Abdulai. The young prince face was marred with worry and fear, emotions he rarely showed to the public. It was not suiting of someone of his standing to face fear. In a low tone, barely more than a whisper. I have called you here on a matter of the utmost secrecy, Saminra. No one, not even Spymaster Toarin or my Uncle may know of it. Do you understand this, Saminra? Commander Myrani sat beside the prince, her face stoic. There was the slightest hint of annoyance in her eyes. It was no secret that the Myrani and Ehbrim are at odds politically, in regards to the Barrir. Her presence here, in the secret meeting can only mean the situation is dire.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    With a curt nod of his head Fawkes quickly acknowledges his master.

    "Yes master," he says, forcing himself to bite his tongue and say the latter word with as little emotion as possible. That word was a constant reminder that, while he was in the court, he was nothing. A simple steward, nothing more.

    Fawkes quickly leaves the stables, giving the flaming horses a passing glance as he leaves.

    To be honest, the portly Master of Ceremonies wouldn't even truly look good. The face was forever locked in Fawkes' bank of a mind, every mannerism, quirk and oddity of the man securely stowed. A man of his size would never be truly good-looking although Fawkes supposes they could make him look a little less like a greased pig.

    Fawkes, for his part, was sweating as well. He didn't have the high quality clothing of some of the nobles and, despite his lithe build, the heat was getting to him. He quickly looks around, trying to remember where he had seen a refreshment station.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Using Photographer to add Weildon to my Profile Album. 5/6 AP left for the scene.

    General Education for water: (4d6+3)[14]
    Last edited by Arcran; 2014-06-13 at 05:44 PM.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Ajadea's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not Here

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Everything still hurts. The deep bow required from a commoner in the presence of royalty had sent twinges up Saminra's spine. Even after three days of scrubbing herself and everything she took with her, she's not sure if she's ever going to stop smelling like Gogoat. She hopes it's not noticeable. Prince Ehbrim's hands are tense and clasped - no doubt to keep them from shaking. She keeps her eyes carefully averted from his face, as courtesy dictates, but she does not need to be able to see his face to feel the fear rolling off him like waves. Between the commander's simmering annoyance, his Highness's worry, and her own roiling anxiety at being in a room with the both of them, the smoke-filled air in the room could be cut with a knife. Saminra shifts slightly on her pillow. "I understand, your Highness," she replies in a low murmur. If Toarin could know, he'd be here, surely. Or she would have received this briefing in his office, for that matter, not in this room. But secrecy from even the pharaoh? And such fear. She doesn't even dare to consider the possibilities.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    "The last place wanted 1000 gold for a night. If I wanted to settle in this holy cesspool." Tarn answers, more than a bit annoyed himself. "There is a reason I usually skip this tourist trap, and travel straight to Corus when coming from the wastes."

    The Wanderer briefly digs through his pockets, and fiddles with Daggerteeth's Pokeball, contemplating sending the Onix out. "I suspect we can make do by getting out of the city and setting up camp for the night. Roughing it in these lands is a lot more easy and enjoyable than roughing it back home. Alot less deadly too. We can all pay our respects to the gods and do our shopping tomorrow."

    Tarn then looks up to examine the clouds. The price of the room, his experience outdoors, and the quality of his tent all meant that little short of a typhoon would cause him to reconsider his camping plans...

    (3d6+4)[18]

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Fawkes
    With haste, you dash from under the shade of the stables into the blistering mid-summer sun. The trips is short though, as the tent containing food and refreshments for the staff and Jousters was only a stone's throw away. You could still see your portly master quite easily. As you grab a glass, filling it with water from a large cask and scooping ice, a luxury rare even by the standards of the Court, into the glass. Weildon pulled out all the stops for this event, including obtaining a few Vanillite to provide ice. The attendant at the tent, a young women by the name of Marryl, whom you are rather acquainted with whispers in your ear. Whats Master Lard gripping about?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Saminra
    The prince waved his hand, smoke swirling but doing nothing to clear the air. Formality and courtesy are not needed here, Saminra. Please. He gestured for you to sit up right. The reason you were called here, Saminra, is because the Prince and I, despite our differences a hint of edge creeping into her otherwise icy cold voice believe the throne is danger. And we want your help in ferreting out who seeks to threaten it.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Tarn
    The wind was picking up and the outlines of looming clouds were off in the distance. It would likely rain and thunder soon, though the intensity and duration you are not sure of. The weather this far south was so much different than the Frozen Wastes, it was difficult for you to tell. Well at this rate, you might as well pay them! We've been traveling for too long, Tarn. A man needs his rest! A touch on your arm from Meredith showed her concern as well. Before you could respond, you heard the distant sound of screaming.

    Spoiler: Perception Check DC 5
    Show
    You see waves of smoke raising from somewhere to the south of you, the same direction the screaming is coming from.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Fawkes looks at the Vanillite in the sun, trying to keep his face flat. One of those would fetch a huge price with the right people, but Fawkes soon puts the thought out of his mind. Information was his trade, not petty thievery.

    "Master Weildon," he says, the sarcasm subtle enough that most wouldn't notice, "is not enjoying the weather, of course," Fawkes states, giving a tired look. "I'll bet you a gold coin I'm back within five minutes," he says, knowing that the odds of that were heavily in his favor.

    He gives her a casual nod as he carries the drink back towards Weildon, knowing extremely well that tardiness and chit-chat would cost him dearly. Weildon was not the one to tolerate that sort of behavior and, while he wouldn't mind talking to Marryl over the cool refreshment stand,
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Tarn looks up, knowing full well that Smoke likely means fire. "...There is smoke with those screams," he announces for the benefit of his father, "if it is a fire, Daggerteeth would be ideal for a rescue. I have to go."

    He calls the Onix out and squeezes Meredith on the shoulder, before digging into his coin purse and producing five coins, which he presses into the woman's hand. "You two find some strong tea, and perhaps a warm meal of something other than salted meat. Then meet me by the North Gate. Unless somebody offers me lodging out of gratitude, we ride until dawn or the rain stops and find a place to set up camp. We can rest for several days then, and build up strength for the next leg of the trip."

    Climbing onto the back of his massive mount, the rider looks down upon his family. "And take care of each other for Groudon's sake!," he adds, knowing that the pair will need both eyes and a voice to track down food and drink - teamwork.

    Tarn then nudges the Onix into motion towards the smoke...

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Ajadea's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not Here

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Saminra slowly looks up. This was getting stranger by the minute. She doesn't like informal environments. Courtesy is a scaffold of social interaction. Without it, things become unpredictable. "Of course," she manages, biting back the 'your highness' at the last moment. Her gaze flicks around the room before settling, somewhat awkwardly, at a point just above Prince Ehbrim's shoulder. "I will not allow anyone to threaten our empire, nor your uncle." The Sassnid and their sympathizers? Or over-ambitious nobles seeking to overturn the line of pharaohs? Either way, she would likely need to report to Bahna in order to keep an eye on Pharaoh Idrissu. Fare on another boat would not be difficult to manage, though she dreads boarding another so soon.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    Fawkes looks at the Vanillite in the sun, trying to keep his face flat. One of those would fetch a huge price with the right people, but Fawkes soon puts the thought out of his mind. Information was his trade, not petty thievery.

    "Master Weildon," he says, the sarcasm subtle enough that most wouldn't notice, "is not enjoying the weather, of course," Fawkes states, giving a tired look. "I'll bet you a gold coin I'm back within five minutes," he says, knowing that the odds of that were heavily in his favor.

    He gives her a casual nod as he carries the drink back towards Weildon, knowing extremely well that tardiness and chit-chat would cost him dearly. Weildon was not the one to tolerate that sort of behavior and, while he wouldn't mind talking to Marryl over the cool refreshment stand,
    Weildon hastily grabbed the ice cold water from your hand, downing it sloppily. Despite trying to avoid getting his outfit wet, more ended up on his chest and rotund stomach than in his mouth. Good Fawkes, very good! However we have a dilemma! Sir Zairon's tabbard has, ahem, combusted. You obviously forgot to buy the flame retardant cloth! Of course you remembered, but Weildon insisted you use an inferior cloth to save on costs while he pocketed the rest.

    Weildon dumped a small burlap sack into your open palm, which clicked with coins. From the weight, you wager most of them are gold coins. Go to the market and purchase a new tabbard template! Sir Zairon's joust is in the evening, we can still salvage this disaster of yours if you hurry! However, there was no rush. Nobles in jousts always had a template of their crest ready in case the inevitable burnt tabbards happen, it take no more than half an hour to sew it to the new tabbard.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Quote Originally Posted by weirdsound View Post
    Tarn looks up, knowing full well that Smoke likely means fire. "...There is smoke with those screams," he announces for the benefit of his father, "if it is a fire, Daggerteeth would be ideal for a rescue. I have to go."

    He calls the Onix out and squeezes Meredith on the shoulder, before digging into his coin purse and producing five coins, which he presses into the woman's hand. "You two find some strong tea, and perhaps a warm meal of something other than salted meat. Then meet me by the North Gate. Unless somebody offers me lodging out of gratitude, we ride until dawn or the rain stops and find a place to set up camp. We can rest for several days then, and build up strength for the next leg of the trip."

    Climbing onto the back of his massive mount, the rider looks down upon his family. "And take care of each other for Groudon's sake!," he adds, knowing that the pair will need both eyes and a voice to track down food and drink - teamwork.

    Tarn then nudges the Onix into motion towards the smoke...
    The street rumbled and cracked beneath the rock snake, bits of cobblestone flung behind you. If not for the hurry, Daggerteeth could avoid damaging the road as such, but now was not the time. It took only a few minutes to reach the heart of the city and your heart sank. The air had gone from a balmy 65 of a summer's night to a frigid 0. Snow was falling from the sky, though only one lone cloud hung over the city, centered directly in the center. Only one thing could do such a feat.

    ABOMASNOW! The cry was unmistakable. As you rounded a corner, hail began to pelt you and Daggerteeth mercilessly. You quckly find a large open square, lined with large opulent cathedrals, their stain glass windows being pelted, chipped and cracked with the hailstorm. In the center, stood a massive Abomasnow. It towered over 10 feet tall, its massive arms crashing through a now-frozen fountain that sat in the middle of the square. Scattered throughout the square looked like snowmen of terrified people, attempting to run. The Abomasnow turned as you arrived, bellowing a challenge.

    Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Tarn is first, then the Abom, then Daggerteeth. A note on releasing mon; Summoning Sickness (being unable to act when released) only happens when a pokemon has been returned and then let back out. So releasing Twitchy would allow it to act this round (also after the Abom).

    Daggerteeth has taken 1 round of Hail damage (1/10 of his Max HP) and will continue to take damage till he is returned. Tarn has his Winter Cloak and is immune.

    And for the record. You can win this fight without loosing a pokemon. I wouldn't do that in your first battle! Maybe the second, but not the first!

    MAP!
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2014-06-14 at 05:06 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Saminra slowly looks up. This was getting stranger by the minute. She doesn't like informal environments. Courtesy is a scaffold of social interaction. Without it, things become unpredictable. "Of course," she manages, biting back the 'your highness' at the last moment. Her gaze flicks around the room before settling, somewhat awkwardly, at a point just above Prince Ehbrim's shoulder. "I will not allow anyone to threaten our empire, nor your uncle." The Sassnid and their sympathizers? Or over-ambitious nobles seeking to overturn the line of pharaohs? Either way, she would likely need to report to Bahna in order to keep an eye on Pharaoh Idrissu. Fare on another boat would not be difficult to manage, though she dreads boarding another so soon.
    The Prince's fear seemed to lessen at your reassurance. This assignment will be like nothing you have taken before, Saminra. We believe there is a plot to kill the heir Prince and the Pharoh. And we fear we do not know the scope of this conspiracy. And that is why we task you with this. You see, we have, uh, suspicsions that the conspirators may rank in the higher echelons of Carthak. If this is true, and whom, we do not know. This is why Spymaster Taorin may not know. He... he may not be trustworthy. And the same can be said of you, Saminra. Commander Myrani's eyes bore into you with a cool intensity, her gaze broken only by a quick peek at the Prince, who visibly flinched as her eyes darted over him. You do not have the connections or ties to the politics of this country to receive a direct reward from a change of power, but you are no less vulnerable to bribery, coercion or treason. And it is for that reason we will not share any more of what we know. Or don't know.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Tarn casts his eyes to the ground. He knew little of the gods. He couldn't even name any other than Groudon or Regice, but he had always thought that they would protect their city from such things. Abomasnow, this large and this far to the south... Not a good sign. Not even close.

    Not having much time for reflection, Tarn grab's Twitchy's Pokeball, and gives it a good hurl! "Twitchy, Think quick and use Flame Burst!"

    The Numel pops out of the Pokeball, promptly and correctly interprets the situation on the field, and unleashes a good sized puff of flaming air at the walking tree!

    Spoiler: Mechanical Stuff!
    Show

    Tarn uses a Shift Action to let out Twitchy at J10!
    Tarn uses a Standard Action to use After you on Twitchy! Twitchy goes next!
    Tarn gives command to Twitchy!

    Twitchy Moves to L10 and uses Flame Burst on Abomasnow! AC roll made in OOC Thread!
    Damage Roll: (2d10+27)[43]
    Last edited by weirdsound; 2014-06-15 at 09:33 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Fawkes is forced to physically bite his tongue to stop from snapping back. Insults, the occassional slap, those were fine. But blaming his own stupidity on Fawkes? That always made the minor noble angrier than it should.

    "Yes Master Weilon," he says simply, making a show of rushing away, rounding a nearby corner.

    When he's out of sight he slows, shoving the coins deep into his pocket as he makes his way towards the market at a leisurely pace.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Ajadea's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not Here

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    So... not in the minor nobles or the Sassnids, but the very lords who the pharaoh trusted most. And with such power, anyone could be in their pocket. Turned by promises of power, of coin. Their own suspicion of her was expected, but still somehow disappointing. And yet, they chose her. That surely means much in itself. "I assume I will be reporting directly to you then, Commander?" She can't even begin to fathom calling the stern commander just 'Myrani'. It seems entirely wrong. So she doesn't.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Quote Originally Posted by weirdsound View Post
    Tarn casts his eyes to the ground. He knew little of the gods. He couldn't even name any other than Groudon or Regice, but he had always thought that they would protect their city from such things. Abomasnow, this large and this far to the south... Not a good sign. Not even close.

    Not having much time for reflection, Tarn grab's Twitchy's Pokeball, and gives it a good hurl! "Twitchy, Think quick and use Flame Burst!"

    The Numel pops out of the Pokeball, promptly and correctly interprets the situation on the field, and unleashes a good sized puff of flaming air at the walking tree!

    Spoiler: Mechanical Stuff!
    Show

    Tarn uses a Shift Action to let out Twitchy at J10!
    Tarn uses a Standard Action to use After you on Twitchy! Twitchy goes next!
    Tarn gives command to Twitchy!

    Twitchy Moves to L10 and uses Flame Burst on Abomasnow! AC roll made in OOC Thread!
    Damage Roll: [roll0]
    The fire ripped through the tree pokemon, instantly melting the fountain beneath it. But no sooner had it melted did it refreeze as it stumbled out, eyes glowing deadly. It stomped out of the ruined fountain, the ground creating a thin layer of ice beneath each strop, spiderwebing outwards. It inhaled deeply, before bellowing out a chilly gusty gale dealing 38 Special Ice damage, and dropping Twitchy's Speed.

    Spoiler: Damage
    Show
    Whenever I give you damage, it is umodded. You need to apply Defenses and Typing as appropriate yourself.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    Fawkes is forced to physically bite his tongue to stop from snapping back. Insults, the occassional slap, those were fine. But blaming his own stupidity on Fawkes? That always made the minor noble angrier than it should.

    "Yes Master Weilon," he says simply, making a show of rushing away, rounding a nearby corner.

    When he's out of sight he slows, shoving the coins deep into his pocket as he makes his way towards the market at a leisurely pace.
    It took a good half hour to reach the market at your leisurely pace. The Sun had finally started its lazy descent towards the horizon, but the sweet relief of sunset was still hours away. As you meander through the common rabble towards the official royale seamstress shop, your hear something peculiar. This must stay between us. It came from your right, from 2 peasants who were dressed a tad too well to be peasants but not well enough to be nobles either.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    So... not in the minor nobles or the Sassnids, but the very lords who the pharaoh trusted most. And with such power, anyone could be in their pocket. Turned by promises of power, of coin. Their own suspicion of her was expected, but still somehow disappointing. And yet, they chose her. That surely means much in itself. "I assume I will be reporting directly to you then, Commander?" She can't even begin to fathom calling the stern commander just 'Myrani'. It seems entirely wrong. So she doesn't.
    No. The prince glowered at Myrani before finishing for her. If you are in contact with myself or the Commander frequently enough, we fear the spies and the conspirators will catch onto us and your purpose. If we can help it, we will not be in direct contact until we have the conspirators in irons.

    Spoiler: Questions
    Show
    If you have anymore, now would be the time to do so.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    For Fawkes those three words meant something very, very important was happening. Something that he probably shouldn't know which, of course, meant that he needed to know it.

    Without breaking stride Fawkes turns to a nearby stall, inspecting the goods with a practiced eye as he tries to listen in on the conversation of the two 'peasants' even as he looks over their faces. While some hidden information would be worth quite a bit, knowing who knows that information would be worth far more.

    Spoiler: Actions!
    Show
    General Education to ID the Not-Peasants: (4d6+3)[22]
    Guile to Seem like I'm Shopping: (5d6+3)[22]
    Perception to Listen In: (4d6+3)[16]
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    The fire ripped through the tree pokemon, instantly melting the fountain beneath it. But no sooner had it melted did it refreeze as it stumbled out, eyes glowing deadly. It stomped out of the ruined fountain, the ground creating a thin layer of ice beneath each strop, spiderwebing outwards. It inhaled deeply, before bellowing out a chilly gusty gale dealing 38 Special Ice damage, and dropping Twitchy's Speed.
    Tarn cursed under his breath. He had fought Abomasnow before, and although none were quite this large, they had all been bested by a single attack from Twitchy. All was not lost though... It was a simple matter of rallying the numel to launch another attack before the monster could move again... unless...

    A thought popped into Tarn's head. A crazy thought. The sort of wild idea that got him into trouble. The Abomasnow... it had to be hurt. Catching it was an option, and a Pokemon like that would serve a man with Tarn's ambitions well. Failure, however would be costly. There was no way Twitchy could respond in time unless her trainer devoted his attentions to encouraging her - if the creature broke out, it would get another attack in.

    There was also the chance that the beast was not wild - that somebody had brought it here in a Pokeball and so Tarn's own attempt to catch it would be wasted. If that was the case, Tarn would have to be on the lookout for whatever mischievous individual had put it there, and attempting the capture was the only way to find out for sure...

    With a call to Twitchy, ordering her to back away and launch another attack, the rider drives Daggerteeth forward, produces one of his two empty Pokeballs, and hurls the sphere at the aggressive Pine Tree!

    Spoiler: Mechanical Stuff
    Show

    Tarn:
    Shift Action: Move self and Daggerteeth so that our bottom right hand corner is at I12
    Standard Action: Throw Pokeball at Abomasnow (AC: (1d20)[7], Capture Check: (1d100)[19]
    Command Action: To Twitchy

    HP Count:
    Tarn - 82/82
    Daggerteeth - 66/82
    Twitchy - 28/70 (2 Injuries)

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Ajadea's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not Here

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    So that was it then. Saminra would be operating on her own, for however long that might be. And whoever she was looking for had a wide enough reach to potentially find any network, and trace it back to its source. And was reckless enough to dare threaten Prince Ehbrim and Commander Myrani, though that was not a surprise if they had designs on the throne. So there would be no net. No one to catch her if she fell. Oh, she had no doubt she was not working alone. But each spy would certainly be working independently. Best not to even try to find them, really. It was far easier to plead ignorance when it was true. "Just tell me where to go, and it shall be done."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Fawkes
    You turn towards a Berry stand, pretending to listen to the merchant's spiel. You recognized the two men rather easily. One, older and stockier, was a retired Ranger, Dunn Mith. While he was in active service, he was mediocre at best and his mediocrity is the main reason he lived to retirement preventing him from being in any major trouble. He had let himself go since retiring, gaining a prominent gut and a scraggly grey beard. The other, short and young and dressed in the uniform of a Ranger Squire. You hadn't heard his name, but you've recognized his face. He was new to the Ranger's, no more than a few months and had yet to make a name for himself (obvious, given even you didn't know it).

    However, between being turned partially away from the pair, the busy street crowd and the merchant's endless sales pitch, you only heard bits and pieces of the conversation. ... Mystrung ... ... on his ...! ... ... squire ... ...! He ... ... ... willing ...! Dunn's words shocked the young squire, the look obvious on his face.

    Spoiler: Over hearing
    Show
    any ellipse (the 3 periods) is a word you missed. You can make an Intuition test to piece it together (depending on your perception, its possible for you to be unable to figure out every word if you missed too much). You can try re-positioning. You'll need a new Guile check to do so. I'll need a new Perception check and a Focus check either way.
    On an entirely different note, at what point does Fawkes consider killing to be morally reprehensible? IE, what is Fawkes moral event horizon?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Spoiler: Pokeballs
    Show
    Ok, so I'm going to have to ask you for a Symbology test for now on to understand things about pokeballs. They aren't as common knowledge as they would be in a standard setting. It isn't assumed you know that a failed capture is because its owned, or whatever other reason.

    The sybmol-laden apricorn hit the behemoth square on the head ... and fell to the ground without any flourish or flash of light that normally accompanied a capture attempt. The beast stared at the ball quizzically for a moment, before returning its attention to Twitchy. It unleashed a hurricane of leaves, which tore through the camel for 30 Physical Grass damage.

    Spoiler: Morale Event Horizon
    Show
    At what point would Tarn consider killing morally reprehensible? IE what is his personal moral event horizon?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    You will be going to Kamfrietta. I think its obvious that the Bloody Hand will be involved in this conspiracy, if they are not already. They will be your best place to start, I assume. My agents may make contact with you while in the field. The passcode you must remember is this; "Is that a new shade of blush? Its suits your face!" Myrani's voice became overly cheerful, in an attempt to mimic a natural conversational tone. It didn't work too well. And you'll respond. "Oh its wonderful, fit for a queen!" It is best you leave without us, lest a spy catches us all together. The prince motions towards the heavy drape that constituted the door.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check as you leave.
    Also, same question as the others. At what point would Saminra find killing morally reprehensible? IE her morale event horizon.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Spoiler: On Pokeballs
    Show

    Tarn has a feat to make Pokeballs, so although his Symbology skill is untrained, I'd like to think he at least has more knowledge on Pokeballs in particular than the average schmuck. I'll make the check anyway, but I will argue that if I must roll, I should be rolling survival, because that is the skill I used to qualify Tarn for Apricorn Balls.

    (2d6)[8] Symbology check...
    Add (1d6+3)[4] to the roll if I can use survival instead.

    I'll proceed with the rest of the turn as is. If these rolls lead to some new knowledge, I'll just have it dawn next round.


    The leaves slice into the Numel, who emits a howl somewhere between laughter and agony, before narrowing her eyes and glaring back at her attacker. It had always been Tarn's belief that there were two sorts who could do good in a fight: The noble hero with a good cause and good heart, and the savage creature to whom hurting and being hurt was as natural and enjoyable as a strong drink or the touch of a lover to anybody else. There was no doubt in the trainer's mind that Twitchy fell into the latter category as much as Tarn did into the former.

    Glowing bright red, Twitchy inhales deeply, preparing to launch yet another scalding plane of flame, but when she opens her opens her mouth, only tiny red sparks emerge harmlessly into the frigid air. A look of surprise and resignation flash briefly across the Numel's face before it passes out on the spot - the cold and hail having finished that which the beast who conjured it couldn't.

    Tarn blinks. The Abomasnow had bested the creature he had caught and raised in large part as an answer to Abomasnow. His risky plan had utterly failed. There was, however, no time for panic or self loathing in the heat of a fight, and Tarn had a backup plan ready.

    "Twitchy... back to me! Daggerteeth! Make haste! We must chart a retreat and lay a trap... If the gods of this city are willing, it should be enough to end this fight!"

    The Onix offers rumbles in understanding, before turning tail and bolting away from the Abomasnow, leaving a few pointed rocks in its wake...

    Spoiler: Mechanical Stuff
    Show

    Tarn - 82/82
    Daggerteeth - 50/82
    Twitchy Negitive 5/70 (3 Injuries) Recalled

    Twitchy takes the attack, but is KOed by hail at the start of her turn!
    Tarn uses a shift action to recall Twitchy!
    Tarn uses a standard action to use After You on Daggerteeth! Daggerteeth goes next this round!
    Daggerteeth uses a standard action to use Stealth Rock! (Marked on Map as SR)
    Daggerteeth shifts so that his bottom left corner is at F19!
    Last edited by weirdsound; 2014-06-17 at 01:09 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Spoiler: Morals
    Show
    I feel that, for Fawkes, the event horizon shifts quite a bit depending on whether or not it would help him. A murder that he would normally be disgusted by he could tolerate should it put him in a good position, if that makes sense.

    I would say he draws the line at killing kids though. That's when things are beyond ambition and gets into simply being wrong.


    Fawkes' face continues the game of buying a berry but, within, his mind roils.

    He didn't like not knowing a name. Without a name tracking somebody down became much more difficult, to say the least. Still, the shock meant that, at the very least, something important was going on or at least something interesting if the look on the new Ranger's face is anything to go by.

    He continues to try to focus through the crowd, hoping to catch a bit more of the conversation even as he tries to gain something useful from the snippets he has heard. While it may delay him getting the tabbard fixed this was worth a few slaps from Weildon.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Intuition: (3d6+2)[17]
    Perception: (4d6+3)[22]
    Focus: (2d6+2)[9]

    Also, what berries are being sold?
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    tongue Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Tarn
    As Daggerteeth twists his serpentine body away from the behemoth, motion catches your eye. Silhouetted against the full moon was a massive bird, its sleek body dwarfed by its massive wings. The wings tucked in and the bird flew into a dive bomb heading straight towards the square. The bird came into view, but it was quite obviously not a bird. On its back was a mountain of a man with the most manliest of beards. He was drapped in an orange and black stripped pelt billowing behind him. He and the not-a-bird let out a piercing battle cry and the not-a-bird belched flames at the Abomasnow. Then, even stranger than the manly man's sudden appearance was the Abomasnow's response. The beast was encased in a golden shell for a brief moment, before the shell broke. The Abomasnow emerged from the shell radically changed. Very suddenly, a wave of frigid air slammed into your back. The flurry which had begun in the square developed into a full-force blizzard, knocking into both you and Daggerteeth for 49 Special Ice damage.

    The blizzard buffet did nothing to slow the onslaught of flame, which tore through the abominable snowman. Despite its new form, it fell to the ground with a very heavy thud. The buffet hit the not-a-bird, which took it hard but stayed aloft if only barely. The Hail ceased in tandem with the felling of the beast, though the blizzard still raged.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hail is over. Its still blizzarding but no more Blizzard attack.
    You can make a EDU: Pokemon check for the Not-A-Bird, the pelt on the Manly-Man's back and for the Abomasnow's radical transformation.
    And you can make an EDU: General on the Manly-Man and the Abomasnow's radical Transformation (Pick General or Pokemon for the transformation).
    You can make any or all of these checks (but please separate checks for each)
    And yes I realize you were avoiding this situation. I like rails! :P
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Fawkes
    The berries laid out before you were the usual sort. Oran berries, a few Status-Cure berries and a Sitrus. Nothing too spectacular. Based on some context, you piece together what was being said. Commander Mystrung is on his ..! With his Squire ...! He is willing too! You twisted your head just so, picking up the next words better than before. Really? With his squire!? He could be killed for that! Or worse, banished! The young squire looked a mix between horror and intrigue. To think he risked - You look like a man who could use his fortune read! Your attention was drawn from the conversation by a short elderly women. She was draped in gaudy jewelry made of pewter and bronze and tattered red dress that had seen better days. He face was beaming a giant toothy smile, which hid the numerous moles, warts and wrinkles of a women far past her prime. She pulled firmly on your arm, trying to lead you towards her shop.

    Spoiler
    Show
    You'll need a Focus to continue to pay attention to the conversation along with Perception and a new Guile (harder DC) to not make a scene.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Ajadea's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not Here

    Default Re: PTU: The Beast Within

    Saminra nods, filing that little passphrase away in her mind, and reminding herself to get some blush once she docked at Kafrmietta. "I will procure my own transport. Luck be with you." She gets up, reigning in her impulse to bow at the last minute. She settles for a respectful nod, and leaves, careful not to step on the pillows. Well, too much. The Bloody Hand. Saminra knew enough about them to know she didn't really want to mess with them, if at all possible. Unfortunately, such was not. Quite the opposite, really.

    Even if Kafrmietta was objectively the closest city by land, it might well be faster and safer, if not cheaper, to go by boat. The desert wasn't the sort of place one took a stroll through. With that in mind, she heads out and towards the docks via the leatherworkers and the market. A circuitous route, but one that would likely confuse anyone following her, for the leatherworker's district was a tangled mess and the market was crowded at best. If nothing else, the stench of tanning leather had a good chance of discouraging any pursuers.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception - (3d6+3)[17]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •