Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default M&M 3e: How does Multi-Attack work?

Right in the title? How would me using a assault rifle work in the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: M&M 3e: How does Multi-Attack work?

As per the description, Multiattack has 3 functions:

1. You can attack someone normally, but with a little extra firepower. The Multiattack extra will add to the effect if your attack roll beats their defense by 5 or more, but otherwise the attack is unchanged. In assault rifle terms, this means shooting a stream of bullets at a single target; if you're lucky or good enough, you'll land more hits and do more damage.

2. You may attack multiple targets. If you do this, you get to roll an attack against each target, but all of your attack rolls suffer a penalty equal to the number of targets (so, if you're shooting 3 people you take a -3 penalty). n which case you make 1 attack roll per target, and suffer a penalty equal to the number. In assault rifle terms, this means spraying bullets around to try and hit several different people - a little indiscriminate, but odds are you'll hit someone.

3. You can lay down covering fire. If you do this, choose a single ally; they effectively get cover (as described on p. 193; -2 penalty to attacks against them and +2 on Dodge checks to avoid area effects. It's not 100% clear to me whether this modifier is supposed to grant partial or total cover, so the numbers might be higher). An enemy can choose to ignore this cover, but if they do you get a free attack against them with your Multiattack power. In assault rifle terms, this represents, well, laying down covering fire, shooting indiscriminately to force your enemies to stay down and focus on not being shot (instead of focusing on shooting you/your friends).

Hope that's helpful! Let me know if there's some particular aspect you aren't getting, and I can try to explain better.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I recall this is often paired with I think Accuracy so it gains +5 to hit to counter the -2 penalty per additional attack beyond the first.

Been a while I need to reread this.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Right in the title? How would me using a assault rifle work in the game?
    You can attack multiple targets, but each targer you want to attack imposes a -1 bonus on every attack. Example: attacking five targets imposes a a -5 penalty to hit each target.

You can attack a single target, at two degrees of success you increase the DC by +2, at three degrees of success you incrase it by +5. For example if you multiattack a target with a Dodge of 12 if you get a total of 17 you get to add +2 to the effect rank, if you get at 22 or higher you get to add +5 to the effect rank. Using an assault rifle would be Damage 7 if you go two degrees of success, or damage 10 on three degrees of success. Note however if the base rank can't overcome Impervoius, neither can the increased damage from Multi-Attack.

The last option is to use it asl covering fire. Pick an ally that ISN'T in close combat and they get Cover against enemies attack them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Question: Doe actually get multiple attacks? Or only the benefit from beating the DCs and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Question: Doe actually get multiple attacks? Or only the benefit from beating the DCs and such.
    If you choose to target several enemies, you get multiple attacks (one against each enemy). You do not get multiple attacks against a single target. (Not in mechanical terms, anyway; you might describe a Multiattack power as firing a spray of bullets or using super-speed to punch someone several times, but the game represents this as a single attack with a potentially greater effect.)

In general, Mutants and Mastermind tries to avoid any mechanic that messes with the action economy - no iterative attacks, super-speed is handled with Speed, Quickness and power descriptors rather than actually having a Super-Speed power that grants extra actions, Reaction and Linked powers tend to be expensive and/or limited in applicability.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Re: multiple targets- Don't you roll once and compare that attack to each target's Defence separately?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jlerpy View Post
    Re: multiple targets- Don't you roll once and compare that attack to each target's Defence separately?
    No. "Roll one attack check per target in the arc."

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    No. "Roll one attack check per target in the arc."
    Huh, okay. I must be thinking of something else then.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlerpy View Post
    Huh, okay. I must be thinking of something else then.
    Either Star Wars Saga Edition area attacks, or M&M 2E targetted areas which worked that way.