Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Expanded Alignment system

First of all, two disclaimers:

1- All Real Roleplayers (c) know that the ideal game doesnt concern itself with alignments... All characters should have a well defined personality that is well rounded and credible from day one.

2- Truth is, some players need some help to achieve this and that's the reason for an aligment system. If used correctly, the alignment rules are tools not straightjackets.

Now, I have given some thought to the "tool vs straightjacket" question, and I have come to the conclusion that a more flexible system might be useful for some groups. So I have come up with the following system.

-

Alignment Levels
    {table=head]
    Alignments
    |
    0 Fiendish
    |
    1 Diabolic
    |
    2 Aberrant
    |
    3 Egoist
    |
    4 Un-concerned
    |
    5 Neutral
    |
    6 Well-Meaning
    |
    7 Dedicated
    |
    8 Devoted
    |
    9 Heroic
    |
    10 Angelic

0[br]Chaotic|CE*|CE*|CE*|CE*|CN*|CN*|CN*|CG*|CG*|CG*|CG *|

1[br]Unpredictable|CE*|CE|CE|CE|CN|CN|CN|CG|CG|CG|CG*|

2[br]Wild|CE*|CE|CE|CE|CN|CN|CN|CG|CG|CG|CG*|

3[br]Disordered|CE*|CE|CE|CE|CN|CN|CN|CG|CG|CG|CG*|

4[br]Independent|NE*|NE|NE|NE|NN|NN|NN|NG|NG|NG|NG*|

5[br]Neutral|NE*|NE|NE|NE|NN|NN*|NN|NG|NG|NG|NG*|

6[br]Dependable|NE*|NE|NE|NE|NN|NN|NN|NG|NG|NG|NG*|

7[br]Ordered|LE*|LE|LE|LE|LN|LN|LN|LG|LG|LG|LG*|

8[br]Strict|LE*|LE|LE|LE|LN|LN|LN|LG|LG|LG|LG*|

9[br]Rigid |LE*|LE|LE|LE|LN|LN|LN|LG|LG|LG|LG*|

10[br]Lawful|LE*|LE*|LE*|LE*|LN*|LN*|LN*|LG*|LG*|LG*|LG* |[/table]
    Alignments marked with an asterisk (*) are too extreme for regular characters or monsters and are limited to extraplanar "parangons" of a given alignment.

-

Or perhaps my point is more easily illustrated with some examples:
    Alignment Levels
    {table=head]
    Alignments
    |
    0 Fiendish
    |
    1 Diabolic
    |
    2 Aberrant
    |
    3 Egoist
    |
    4 Un-concerned
    |
    5 Neutral
    |
    6 Well-Meaning
    |
    7 Dedicated
    |
    8 Devoted
    |
    9 Heroic
    |
    10 Angelic

0[br]Chaotic|Tanar'ri|CE*|CE*|CE*|CN*|Slaadi|CN*|CG*|CG*|CG*|Eladrins|

1[br]Unpredictable|CE*|CE|CE|Belkar|CN|CN|CN|CG|CG|CG|CG*|

2[br]Wild|CE*|Xykon|CE|CE|Thog|CN|CN|CG|CG|CG|CG*|

3[br]Disordered|CE*|CE|CE|CE|CN|CN|Haley|Elan|CG|CG|CG*|

4[br]Independent|NE*|Hannibal Lecter|NE|NE|NN|NN|NN|NG|NG|NG|NG*|

5[br]Neutral|Yugoloths|NE|NE|NE|NN|NN|NN|NG|NG|NG|Guardinals|

6[br]Dependable|NE*|NE|NE|NE|NN|NN|NN|Durkon|NG|NG|NG*|

7[br]Ordered|LE*|LE|Nale|LE|LN|LN|LN|LG|LG|Roy|LG*|

8[br]Strict|LE*|Darth Vader|LE|LE|LN|LN|Varsuvius|LG|LG|LG|LG*|

9[br]Rigid |LE*|LE|LE|LE|LN|LN|LN|Miko|LG|LG|LG*|

10[br]Lawful|Baatezu|LE*|LE*|LE*|LN*|Modrons|LN*|LG*|LG*|LG*|Archons|[/table]

With this new method, a Lawful Good Character could be LG (8/9), LG (9/8) or LG (8/8)... While all 3 characters would be Lawful Good, each would have different outlooks in life and each would have a different idea on how to balance Order and Good.

This also holds true on the other end. For instance, both Belkar and a Balor are technically Chaotic Evil, but Belkar is CE (1/3), while the the Balor is CE (0/0) and the differences should be evident, even to a Miko-type of zealot.

Any comments?
    Last edited by Amphimir Míriel; 2007-06-22 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Elan is CG & Miko is back to LG
    -

Is it evil, Evil, Evil or EVIL?
    Expanded Alignment Rules (PEACH)

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

Instead of that, read Peregrine's lesson

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Expanded Alignment system

So Miko would be right up there.. 10/10?

Haha, anyway, I do like this. Less of a, as you said, straightjacket. Some people are just more EVIL than others. I had thought that Belkar was "evil" but apparently not as evil as Xykon, per se... Although I thought Belkar is more of a "malefactor" :P He's pretty predictable and is more "everyone should die", but he's unlikely to kill a "friend".

Anyway. I like, personally.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daedu View Post
    So Miko would be right up there.. 10/10?

Haha, anyway, I do like this. Less of a, as you said, straightjacket. Some people are just more EVIL than others. I had thought that Belkar was "evil" but apparently not as evil as Xykon, per se... Although I thought Belkar is more of a "malefactor" :P He's pretty predictable and is more "everyone should die", but he's unlikely to kill a "friend".
    Actually if you see the second table, you'll see that I placed Miko on 9/4, which makes her very strict on the Law-Chaos scale, but more than halfway down the Good-Evil scale

If I were the DM and I was using this system, I would have ruled that she went down like 3 steps when she "lost it" and killed the old guy, instantly turning her from LG to LN (even at the beggining of the story I would have rated her a LG 9/7, right in the edge between LG and LN.

Anyway. I like, personally.
    Thank you... I envisoned this as something useful for those who think that D&D is too manichean and Black&White... You can use this to say "yeah, he's evil, but not cthulu-level evil"
    Last edited by Amphimir Míriel; 2007-02-23 at 04:47 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    -

-

Playing a Paladin? Don't fall into the traps of casuistry or excessive rigourism!

-

"It's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately force some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who can reshape matter with our thoughts and those who cannot!"

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Amphimir Míriel View Post
    Actually if you see the second table, you'll see that I placed Miko on 9/4, which makes her very strict on the Law-Chaos scale, but more than halfway down the Good-Evil scale
    Ah, I actually missed that :) But it makes sense. She was barely "good". I'd almost argue that she wasn't, but yeah... I guess she was o.O

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Very nifty. I like the idea of having it on different levels -- I've always asked my players thing like "OK, I know your character is chaotic good....but is your character more good or chaotic?"
    or "Would your LG paladin put law first, or good?"
    This pretty much has that built in, which I like.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I have to admit, that is a neat system. That said, I've never really concerned myself with alignments. I ask my players to put one of the 9 choices in the old system on their character sheet, and then basically forget about it unless they're acting way off their alignment.

Also, I'm not really sure that's necessary. If you feel like making the system more specific, then this revision is excellent. I just don't see the need.......... I guess I'm just fine with "LG, but more Good" as opposed to "9/7".
    Proud member of the Hinjo fanclub

A Video Gamer's Perspective: My thoughts on all different kinds of entertainment, especially video games and anime... plus maybe the occasional webcomic reference...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Very intresting. looks mor elike a scale to me though. I fore see...

"no I'm a 9/4" Right you can't be a 9/4 because you worship a good god!' "yeah I'm a 9 on the good scale and a 4 on the lawful, dumbass"

Priceless
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Alignments are a nebulous & arbitrary thing, really. Unless, as a DM, you make zealotous paladins materialize from thin air to smite your PCs whenever they stick a toe over the evil line, I fail to see why alignments need be relevent to the flow of the game. Are your players killing their enemies instead of capturing them alive? One should probably expect that, even if there is a reward for mercy. Are they working for themselves, against their benefactor, the king? So what, that can be even more dramatic? Its only when PC have "LG" on the sheet, but the players are portraying them as plot-shredding, genocidal, frothing psychopaths. That's not an alignment issue, that is a player maturity issue, as they are obviously being Stupid Evil.

That said, I do like this system very much; it is much more robust & specific, & I can see this being a great crutch for the player who needs helps defining his/her character. I've had far too many players talk to me far too many times about their characters' alignments, & what they truly mean when they say "Chaotic Good."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

when I first started roleplaying, the DM had a house rule VERY similar to this one: the only difference was that it was a scale of 1 to 100.

That one was not set out on a table (Gaah! 1 000 little squares!), so it was a bit dificult to visualise. I like thelables you have put on the alignment steps too.

Just a few questions: How does this effect spells that deal with alignment? For instance, would a Diabolic (X/1) character show up more strongly in a detect evil than a egotist (x/3)? Would an unholy weapon deal more damage to an angelic being than a heroic figure?

Also, under this system, what would a zombie be? Chaotic Fiendish? They seem more Disordered Unconcerned to me... but whats your spin? What about other mindless undead? Half Fiends? Aasimars?

Love the system though! Good stuff!
    We the Unwilling,
    Lead by the Unqualified,
    Have been doing the Unimagineble
    For so Long, with so Little,
    That we shall now attempt the Impossible
    With Nothing!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This system isn't bad, but I fail to see why it's necessary. I am perfectly fine defining all the little nuances of my character's behavior myself, looking at it, and then putting one of the nine labels on it. As a player, if my DM asks me how Lawful or how Good I am, I'll just tell him, I don't feel like I need to bother putting a number to it. As a DM, I'll do the same thing I do with my own characters, look at it, then tell the player if he's fitting his label.

In short, I'd do something like this already, I just don't think it's necessary to make some numbers to define it. I think general alignments work better because there's more room for customization. This system defines what custom choices you can make, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    That said, I do like this system very much; it is much more robust & specific, & I can see this being a great crutch for the player who needs helps defining his/her character. I've had far too many players talk to me far too many times about their characters' alignments, & what they truly mean when they say "Chaotic Good."
    It would be a crutch for some of the people that need help. Personally, I have more experience than I'd like with the player that needs help because he doesn't care about roleplaying. That type would hate this system, because it's more hard thought about their character. Not saying I agree with that view, just pointing it out.

If a player wanted to talk to me about what his alignment really means, I would listen and tell him whether what his alignment really means actually fits that alignment. I don't mind having such discussions; in fact, I love them.
    Elina d'Lyrandar, Bard 4/Dragonmark Heir 4/Windwright Captain 5/Storm Sentry 2

"Arise, my children. Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable...... even by death itself." -Soon, OOTS #449

11. - Top - End - #11

1- All Real Roleplayers (c) know that the ideal game doesnt concern itself with alignments... All characters should have a well defined personality that is well rounded and credible from day one.

2- Truth is, some players need some help to achieve this and that's the reason for an aligment system. If used correctly, the alignment rules are tools not straightjackets.
    I very much disagree. I see the alignment system as, first and foremost, a mechanic to introduce the ability (very widely used in fantasy) to 'sense' good and evil. By making good and evil palpable, objective things recorded on a character sheet, you make it possible to do that in game (without DM fiat, i.e. the DM says 'You get a sense of wrongness' every time it serves the plot as he/she sees it, but otherwise arbitrarily and haphazardly).

Secondarily, yes, it is an aid to roleplaying. But it is, if you'll forgive me for saying so, somewhat arrogant to say 'real roleplayers' dismiss it. (Lest there be any misunderstanding, let me be clear: I'm not saying you are an arrogant person, I'm saying that you're stating a view which comes across as arrogant, and so you may want to reconsider it if you have no wish to appear arrogant to others.)

The alignment system is a descriptor for personalities (or certain facets of them), just like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and its alternatives, or more esoterically, enneagrams or even horoscopes. Although Myers-Briggs et al have many detractors, just like the alignment system, there are many 'real' professionals who do use them. But the best will be aware of their limitations; they won't scrap the whole system because of them, but they will not attempt to stretch the system beyond them.

And so for roleplayers, and roleplaying. The alignment system is a descriptor for personalities which, yes, should be completely well rounded even without it. But as far as it goes, it is a useful guideline, not only for roleplaying one's own character but for broadly guiding interactions with other characters.

Your expanded alignment system is essentially just another system like alignments, giving mostly the same benefits and suffering from mostly the same limitations. It is more useful as a guideline (primarily to DMs) of how close exactly a given character is to changing alignment. As a tradeoff, it is less flexible; many people have bemoaned their difficulties in fitting a particular character into the standard alignment grid, and yours would be even harder -- plus a lot more people would disagree with your labels, their relative positioning, and their mapping to the standard alignments.

That said, I like its potential. But I like the alignment system too, so that was a given.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

And real D&D players know that alignment is what makes D&D... D&D, and not just some other medieval fantasy setting.

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, people take alignment too seriously. It's just a very loose guideline. You are either good, evil, or something in the middle. Same for the chaos/law axis.

That table is an interesting way of seeing how a character's actions changes his aligment. I think that NWN has a similar system. I even thought about something like that before 3.0 was released.
    Hmm.. do paladins need to be 9/9, or they can loosen up to 7/7?
    I noticed that the each aligment has 3 levels, plus the over-extreme ones. Looks cool.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

me likey me no usey in me champainy but stilly really goody

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The only in game effect alignment has (aside from the odd class prereq) is how alignment based magic affects you, so I don't think you need to expand the alignment concept.

Truth be told, alignment should be largly irrelevent to how you play, in fact I don't even let players choose their own alignments in my campaign. You roleplay your character the way you want, and when that cleric casts unholy blight on you or that priest casts detect law i decide if your actions have been good/evil/lawful/chaotic enough to be effected/detected by the spell.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I think it's valuable for a reason alluded to by Peregrin. In reality, it's an underused element of the mechanics of fantasy roleplaying. Interactions with others, with equipment and magic and the environment... All of these things can be affected by your alignment.

Now, you don't need alignment to have this work. But, you don't need to have a lot of things to do roleplaying properly. Heck, I've run sessions that never had a pencil touch paper or a dice hit the table (other than in spins... I can't resist.) Ability scores are really the same thing, for me, that alignment is; it's a suggestion on what your character should do, on how they should be acting... and on how the world should react to them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

I did something similar the first time I DM'd- took a sheet of graph paper, made 9 10 x 10 squares. Which of the 9 big squares you fell in determined your general alignment, but it allowed for some wiggle room.

I still use it, but I use it more as a DM tool than a player tool- helps me know when to say "change your listed alignment from CN to CG, because that's how you're playing it." It's most important for the divine casters, since if the CG cleric of an NG deity falls of the wagon and goes CN, it's more of a big deal than if the CG rogue does the same. Whoops, there goes your spellcasting abilities!
    "I have tasted the heat of many stars, and all of them were sweet."
    -The Hive Queen

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I very much disagree. I see the alignment system as, first and foremost, a mechanic to introduce the ability (very widely used in fantasy) to 'sense' good and evil. By making good and evil palpable, objective things recorded on a character sheet, you make it possible to do that in game (without DM fiat, i.e. the DM says 'You get a sense of wrongness' every time it serves the plot as he/she sees it, but otherwise arbitrarily and haphazardly).

Secondarily, yes, it is an aid to roleplaying. But it is, if you'll forgive me for saying so, somewhat arrogant to say 'real roleplayers' dismiss it. (Lest there be any misunderstanding, let me be clear: I'm not saying you are an arrogant person, I'm saying that you're stating a view which comes across as arrogant, and so you may want to reconsider it if you have no wish to appear arrogant to others.)

The alignment system is a descriptor for personalities (or certain facets of them), just like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and its alternatives, or more esoterically, enneagrams or even horoscopes. Although Myers-Briggs et al have many detractors, just like the alignment system, there are many 'real' professionals who do use them. But the best will be aware of their limitations; they won't scrap the whole system because of them, but they will not attempt to stretch the system beyond them.

And so for roleplayers, and roleplaying. The alignment system is a descriptor for personalities which, yes, should be completely well rounded even without it. But as far as it goes, it is a useful guideline, not only for roleplaying one's own character but for broadly guiding interactions with other characters.

Your expanded alignment system is essentially just another system like alignments, giving mostly the same benefits and suffering from mostly the same limitations. It is more useful as a guideline (primarily to DMs) of how close exactly a given character is to changing alignment. As a tradeoff, it is less flexible; many people have bemoaned their difficulties in fitting a particular character into the standard alignment grid, and yours would be even harder -- plus a lot more people would disagree with your labels, their relative positioning, and their mapping to the standard alignments.

That said, I like its potential. But I like the alignment system too, so that was a given.
    Thanks for your comments Peregrine, I consider you as one of the most mature and intelligent people in this forum, so your opinion means a lot to me.

The "real roleplayer" comment was actually typed "tounge-in-cheek", I did not mean to sound arrogant.

My idea on creating this was to "loosen up" the 9 straightjackets, not to create 100 "smaller and tighter" ones.

Like Roderick mentioned, this is basically meant as a DM tool to help determine things like how close is someone to an alignment change, and to help players describe their character's views on Life, the Universe and Everything.

And this also opens up some story hooks, for example, a Paladin could be 9/9, or 8/8, or even 7/7 (or any combination)... however the 7/7 paladin could be constantly running into trouble with his church's authorities, yet still be keeping his powers.

-

PD: ...and yes, I expect that someone will yell at me any minute now about how Hannibal is more Lawful, or how Miko is still more Good than that.

But all human perceptions are subjective, and that's ok.
    -

-

-

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by magic8BALL View Post
    Just a few questions: How does this effect spells that deal with alignment? For instance, would a Diabolic (X/1) character show up more strongly in a detect evil than a egotist (x/3)? Would an unholy weapon deal more damage to an angelic being than a heroic figure?
    Yes and No, with this system a detect evil would be able to sense anything with a rating of 4 and below on the Good/Evil scale, but of course that a being with a rating of 1 would register a lot more strongly than someone with a rating of 4.

But holy/unholy weapons and other stuff that affects characters depending on alignment would work the same for all characters that share an alignment...

Edit: Im not sure how to handle a "Helm of Opposite Alignment" though...
    Last edited by Amphimir Míriel; 2007-02-24 at 09:00 AM.
    -

-

-

19. - Top - End - #19

Thanks for your comments Peregrine, I consider you as one of the most mature and intelligent people in this forum, so your opinion means a lot to me.

The "real roleplayer" comment was actually typed "tounge-in-cheek", I did not mean to sound arrogant.
    And I was tired, missed the tongue-in-cheekness somewhat, and probably overstated my reply, so I apologise. But still, it read like you were saying using alignment and making a well-rounded character were somewhat incompatible. Which I suppose holds true a lot of the time in practice; people in general have a tendency to let those two letters do their thinking for them. Even good roleplayers get stuck or get lazy sometimes, and falling back on alignment isn't so different to a real person falling back on the familiar when in a difficult situation. Modifying the alignment system won't change that, and I'm hesitant to say that any one system is a 'better' or 'worse' one for someone to fall back on. (I don't think even getting rid of alignments would get rid of that temptation; people would just find some other way to summarise their default behaviour.)

And this also opens up some story hooks, for example, a Paladin could be 9/9, or 8/8, or even 7/7 (or any combination)... however the 7/7 paladin could be constantly running into trouble with his church's authorities, yet still be keeping his powers.
    I like, I like...

Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

This looks very good. Sometimes I've used an alignment system with 25 squares, kind of like that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Heh, interesting system. I always visualized alignment more as a clock face than a square grid: while you may be both good and lawful, eventually a situation will arise where you can't be both (one example being a LG individual under an evil government who sees a chance to do something clearly good but illegal). I guess a better way of saying it would be to decide which component is dominant if you fall at any of the four corners.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

While I find this system interesting, it doesn't really serve my purposes overmuch; in my view, alignment exists so that you can build magical items around interacting with alignment, not character concepts.

Still, if I was DM'ing and needed to strictly track my characters' alignments, I would seriously contemplate using an expanded scale such as this (and now that I've seen _this_ expanded scale, I'd probably just steal it for use).

23. - Top - End - #23

RogueGuy

dam I need this in my campigan too...so many great things are bein' made in this forum.
    -
    Beware of them, they walk among us, talk with us, interect with the world around us, they act as they see reasonable, and they follow the 'Code of the Wisdomless', don't let them get you!
    Wisdomlessly (Mississippilessly?!)

forgive me, english is not my mother tongue.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

One quick enhancement- switch either the good-evil or law-chaos axis to use letters instead of numbers. That way every alignment is unique with no confusion of whether good-evil or law-chaos is the first number.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I like this system, alot. Good job.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Still, if I was DM'ing and needed to strictly track my characters' alignments, I would seriously contemplate using an expanded scale such as this (and now that I've seen _this_ expanded scale, I'd probably just steal it for use).
    You are welcome to it, my friend...

And thanks to Peregrine, Flying Elephant, Rumpus, Spartacus, Kellandros and Geezer...

Ah, and Kellandros: I kinda dislike letters (they aren't "numbery" enough for me) but I see what you mean...

Ive been using the regular alignment letters plus the numbers as the alignment designation, with the law-chaos part first.... For example: "My Bard is C3G7, while my Paladin is L8G9... and the BBEG is L8E2"

I know it's a bit redundant, but that's how it works for my group... YMMV
    -

-

-

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

This can be a good starting point on character or npc personality development.

Good one :D

28. - Top - End - #28

Ive been using the regular alignment letters plus the numbers as the alignment designation, with the law-chaos part first.... For example: "My Bard is C3G7, while my Paladin is L8G9... and the BBEG is L8E2"
    Wait, wait. Your numbers are backwards. You have to have L at the low end and E at the high end.

How else are you meant to make a L3E7 bad guy?

(Yes, I deserve to be shot for that one... )

Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    How else are you meant to make a L3E7 bad guy?
    But then he would be good. And chaotic. Which is neither very bad, nor very chaotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    We should change the collective noun for crocodiles to "an abundance of crocodiles".
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

It's back! The thread has risen! From beyond the grave!

It's still a nice, albeit more complex system. If your into the whole alignment mechanic, than it may be great. I generally prefer to use alignment as a guideline for character portrayal than as a hard&fast numerical categorization. If you can roleplay your character well, than your alignment won't matter in my game.