New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: The Divine Forge - IC (Ongoing Campaign)

Quote Originally Posted by czieg View Post
    Oren extends his hand. "Oren Longshot of the Water Baron Snipers,"
    Briar grins and shakes Oren's hand. "A pleasure to meet you Oren Longshot of the Water Baron Snipers."
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Staying silent until this point, Halberd's curiosity finally gets the better of him. "Water Baron Snipers? Are they a mercenary group?" His gaze lowers to the horns on Oren's belt. "Are those signal horns?"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    Staying silent until this point, Halberd's curiosity finally gets the better of him. "Water Baron Snipers? Are they a mercenary group?" His gaze lowers to the horns on Oren's belt. "Are those signal horns?"
    I am from the Blade Desert. My tribe has a deal with a merchant that if we teach him desert survival techniques, he teaches us to use firearms. My tribe became powerful enough to take over an oasis, a place of water. We use our firearms to defend our oasis. We heard from our merchant friend that we were being called The Water Baron Snipers.

These horns have gunpowder in each. If you light a match near one of these when they are open, you risk blowing yourself into multiple pieces.
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    She nods in the direction the group is planning on going.
    Sir Cynric looked to the North. "Towards the Gray Keep. Interestng..."
    He turns to the rest of the party. "Mount up. If there's a chance of finding Brent on the way to my Vassal, then I would prefer we take that chance. I for one would like to garner from him what it is he actually saw."

Spoiler: All
    Show
    I'll assume you all decide to follow him, unless you deliberately object... which I doubt.

As you all ride, you all arrive to a heavily wooded area, and Sir Cynric rides on in. The trees are tall pines, centuries old, though quite a few are bare. The gloomy overcast does not let up, and the forest is dark even in the morning. Cynric is far ahead of you when he finally says something.

"Gentlemen, I believe I have found Mr.Gallows... though...I cannot say with absolute certainty."

You ride up to meet him: the smell of blood is heavy in the air. You come to a clearing, where Cynric stares solemnly up into the trees..

The body is hung up on the branches, flesh stripped down to the muscles, face twisted into an agonizing horror. Carrion birds feast on what remains, and flies are everywhere. You can find his blood in numerous places. On a stone in the center are markings painted in red.

Spoiler: Language: Infernal
    Show
    To the Shrine of the Forgotten One, I go. To those who dare to find me, ye shall follow.

"While he was a coward," said Cynric, "Brent was cunning, elusive, and at times a deadly man. He has been known to escape secure prisons, and contribute to the deaths of many of the Guild's enemies.
    "Whoever our new adversary is... killed Brent with little effort. Whatever it is... Mortal, undead... even otherworldly... he is a force to be reckoned with. Stay on your guard, friends, and keep together."
    Last edited by Sir Grave; 2014-07-10 at 09:52 PM.
    Very busy these days and so posting will be sparse.

Extended Sig.

Lady Cordelia of Grimmfell Avatar created by yours truly.

Spoiler: Full image
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

The carnage has Malvin wide-eyed with horror. Still, he dismounts his horse to take a closer look when he notices the writing on the stone. Trailing his finger across the writing, although without actually touching it, he commits the short message to memory.
    "Interesting. I'd wager we have a devil on our hands; it seems to have left directions. It's headed for 'the shrine of the Forgotten One'. Would that perchance be another name for this grey keep you speak of?"
    Last edited by Guard; 2014-07-06 at 11:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Cynric looked at Malvin, shocked. "Bahamut's teeth! You can read that foul dialect?"
    Cynric shook his head, "that is... No. No it is not. I've never heard of such a place."

Extended Sig.

Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Malvin looks distinctly uncomfortable. "I... My master knew a great many arcane languages. I have picked up a few of them. This happens to be among them."

He changed the subject. "I don't believe we should attempt to track down this creature. It is obvious it wants to be found, leaving behind a challenge like this. If it knows something is coming for it, it will have a trap laid out."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Arcane" here meaning obscure, exotic.
    Last edited by Guard; 2014-07-06 at 04:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Briar stepped foreward, his eyes locked on the body. "No. I'm not so sure it would set up a trap. A trap is meant to catch things, but there's no fun in killing a trapped creature. I believe this.. Being.. Would be more likely to lure us somewhere and then hunt us down. We'd be less than pray, we'd be toys for it's amusement."

Briar looked at the group "That being said, going to the place it mentioned, this "shrine of the Forgotten One", is practically suicide. If this being thought and acted like a predator then we might have been able to kill it, however it is not, it is merely playing with us."

extended signature

9. - Top - End - #99

Halberd hates riding around on animals, preferring to walk around on his own two tireless feet. Still, he recognizes Cynric's desire to reach their destination quickly. The corpse of the runaway Brent is a strangely welcome distraction to him. The horrors he had witnessed in the Last War meant that the sight did not distress him. The implications of it, however, worried him greatly. From atop his own mount, the warforged watches the others converse before venturing his own opinion.

"Whatever did this, it's obviously a threat to anyone who wanders through this area. This thing likes to kill, and us passing it by will not do anything to stop it. In fact, I suspect that it will follow us. The dreams of the purple-eyed figure and Brent's actions coincide too much with this. I say we do the world a favor and go crush this thing's skull like it was dry field rations."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Spiker shared Halberd's distaste for horses. They were prey, and she was predator, after all. They had no business working together.

When they find the body of the thief, Spiker is nothing more than annoyed.
    And this is the fate of cowards. He should have fought. Maybe he could have gotten lucky and at least wounded his hunter. But it is irrelevant to our goal. When this work is done, I will return and hunt this creature. And one of us will die, as it should be.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

11. - Top - End - #101

PaladinGuy

I'm afraid that devils and creatures of other planes are beyond my experience. If it wants to be found by us, let it be the one to come to us...

Oren returns to the road, more than a bit shaken.
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Sir Cynric was silent for everyone's suggestions at what to do next, until at last he spoke. "There are still the undead and the drow to consider. They are as much of a threat to common folk as this new menace. And I for one am not willing to outright abandon my Vassal, his Knighthood or those they are protecting as we speak. If this bloody message is any indication, we have not seen the last of this monster, no matter what descision we make."

Extended Sig.

Show

13. - Top - End - #103

PaladinGuy

Fine, but when we get there, I'm going to research how to kill one of these things.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

If the people cannot defend themselves, it is only proper for them to be hunted. That is the way it works.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

If the people cannot defend themselves, it is only proper for them to be hunted. That is the way it works.
    "I... wouldn't say that, Spiker. However, 'better to deal with the devil you know.'" His eyes were set back onto the path. "Let us depart before we smell of this evil."
    Cynric spurred his horse, ushering her forward.
    Spoiler: To All
    Show
    Unless there are any objections, we shall keep moving.

Spoiler: Endbringer: Halberd Only
    Show
    Just warning you, Halberd: this creature is unknown to me, much less it's purpose. I'm not sure how much help I will be against it, other than as a weapon.

Kalim, silent the whole time, took one last look at Brent's remains. Not exactly how I pictured you biting it... he thought to himself. He took out a silver piece, and held it up at the late trapsmith. "Pleasure doing business with you, Mr.Gallows," he said, finally. He flipped the coin under where his body hanged. And with that, he rode on.

A few hours of riding later, and you see a clearly paved road for a change. The trees are less condensed, though the gray skies do not seem to be letting up. Thunder rolls in the distance. Eventually, you feel a light drizzle, which turns to a moderate downpour of rain.

Sir Cynric rides on. "We are close now," he says. "If we hurry, we could seek shelter within the Vassal's Hall."

Sure enough, fifteen minutes of riding later, you all find a fork in the road, with a sign pointing your way to Gray Keep. You continue, finally making it to a new clearing.

The fort itself is small, and not very impressive. Gray walls, and a single tower on the west end of the structure. There are a few banners draped upon the keep: each with a platinum star upon a blue field. Hodge podge barricades are placed outside of the walls, each with a few men at arms posted behind them. Upon closer inspection, you notice a line of bodies with white blankets draped over them, heavily guarded by several warriors.

However, what catches your amazement is what sits atop the tower: a huge, winged, silver scaled beast which could only be a dragon! It remains perfectly still, stalwartly staring towards the north, unmoved by your appearance. You're not even sure if it notices you.

As you all approach, a half elven woman, red-haired and armored in scale mail, points her scimitar at you.

"HALT! This area is not safe for travelling! We can provide no more sanctuary! Turn back!"

Extended Sig.

Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

I say what I mean. The strong will hunt the weak. It is the way of the world.

As the rain begins to pour, Spiker's irritation at being mounted grows. So when the half-elven woman tries to turn them away, she nearly snaps. Her tail begins to jerk forward, but she stops it before the spikes fly.
    I expected better from my employers. And from servants of the dragon god, no less!

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

I say what I mean. The strong will hunt the weak. It is the way of the world.

As the rain begins to pour, Spiker's irritation at being mounted grows. So when the half-elven woman tries to turn them away, she nearly snaps. Her tail begins to jerk forward, but she stops it before the spikes fly.
    I expected better from my employers. And from servants of the dragon god, no less!
    Cynric quikcly stood between Spiker and the half-elf. ""Put those away, damn it all!" He turned and bowed to the armored woman, who was unmoved by Spiker's display. "Mistress Sorra, I have returned with this group at the request of the Vassal himself. These gentlemen are called the Mournland Watch, here to help us with our plight. But we must speak with Saint Wyrmslayer, immediately."

The half elf lowered her blade. "Sir Cynric," she said,"I-I'm sorry, but the Vassal cannot be disturbed in his condition."

"It is a matter of great importance, my Lady. I have received ill tidings of our current situation-"

Lady Sorra tried her best to hide her worry, but it's as clear as day. "You don't understand. Th-the Vassal's illness has gone from bad to worse! By the divines, you can see it upon his face..."

Extended Sig.

Show

18. - Top - End - #108

"If the Vassal is truly dying, it only emphasises the import of our errand. This matter can hardly wait 'till after he is dead. Let us pass." Malvin stated drily.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: To all
    Show
    Anyone feel free to make a diplomacy roll or aid in a diplomacy roll.

Extended Sig.

Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Briar takes a half-step towards the half-elf called Sorra"Ma'am, i know you're worried about the vassal, but the information is of the utmost importance. it is imperative that he hears what we have to say."

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    diplomacy check
    (1d20+12)[17]
    i really hope this roll works

extended signature

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    Briar takes a half-step towards the half-elf called Sorra"Ma'am, i know you're worried about the vassal, but the information is of the utmost importance. it is imperative that he hears what we have to say."

Show
    diplomacy check
    [roll0]
    Spoiler: Briar
    Show
    You are very close. Would you care to spend an action point for a 1d6 bonus?

Extended Sig.

Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Grave View Post
    Show
    You are very close. Would you care to spend an action point for a 1d6 bonus?
    Spoiler: response
    Show
    sure, i guess
    (1d6)[1]

hopefully this roll is better than the last

extended signature

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    diplomacy check
    [roll0]
    Show
    ... Close enough.

Lady Sorra, hesitant to respond, gives a heavy sigh. "... My humble apologies. Our helpless outnumber our strong, and our dead outnumber our living. We all grow weary. I... will see to it the Vassal knows that you're here-"

"BEWARE!"

Behind you, a mortally wounded soldier on horseback rides towards your group, and falls at Lady Sorra's feet. His neck bears a severe bite wound. He is dying.

"...M-My Lady... Undead... They are coming... s-so many... beware..."

He dies. Lady Sorra Turns to the few men she has. "STATIONS! The undead come again! " She turns to the Mournland Watch. "If you mean well, help us."

Extended Sig.

Show

24. - Top - End - #114

Finally glad to be back in his own element, Halberd swiftly dismounts and faces the direction that the soldier appeared from. His hand clutches Endbringer's hilt and the massive blade is finally held in his hands again. He assumes a ready stance with the blade pointing backward, poised to send it swinging forth in a deadly arc.

Ready to finally see some action, Endbringer? Don't worry, I won't use you to bash any skeletons. I'll just hit them with my fists.

Looking back at Spiker, whose earlier remarks had irked him, he says, "Not forged for war, huh? Well, let's see how well you do in open battle."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Grave View Post
    Show
    ... Close enough.
    Spoiler
    Show
    i swear to obad-hai, if i ever roll that badly again then the first undead i see will take a noncombatant's quaterstaff to the face

He dies. Lady Sorra Turns to the few men she has. "STATIONS! The undead come again! " She turns to the Mournland Watch. "If you mean well, help us."
    i cannot speak for the rest of them, but i will help you as best i can

Show
    i'm going to make a listen check to try and hear the undead. don't for get, i'm a great scout

(1d20+12)[21]

i swear to obad-hai, i'd better at least get in the 20's

extended signature

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Spiker laughs at Halberd's comment.
    War is far from the only form of battle. I've killed my share of undead in the Mournlands.
    Her tail whips up to her shoulder as she looks up at the warrior woman.
    Now, are you going to let us in before the undead arrive?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    i swear to obad-hai, if i ever roll that badly again then the first undead i see will take a noncombatant's quaterstaff to the face

i cannot speak for the rest of them, but i will help you as best i can

Show
    i'm going to make a listen check to try and hear the undead. don't for get, i'm a great scout

[roll0]

i swear to obad-hai, i'd better at least get in the 20's
    Spiker laughs at Halberd's comment.
    War is far from the only form of battle. I've killed my share of undead in the Mournlands.
    Her tail whips up to her shoulder as she looks up at the warrior woman.
    Now, are you going to let us in before the undead arrive?
    Lady Sorra glares at Spiker. "If you are truly a capable fighter, you will help us prevent the undead from even entering the sanctity of Gray Keep. There are innocents inside!"

Show
    It is difficult to hear with the downpour, but you hear the faint sound of ghastly moaning... and it grows louder... accompanied by a chorus of cold groans... They draw close...

Extended Sig.

Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Spiker looks at the woman for a moment before laughing again.
    You may have a spine, it seems. Perhaps I will need to fear, when the day comes that I hunt you.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

29. - Top - End - #119

PaladinGuy

I understand your hesitance but I do much better at longer range.
    Oren hefty his rifle to his shoulder, pouring in some powder from the horn on his belt and stuffing in a lead ball.
    This thing isn't that good in hand to hand.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Loading Musket
    Diplomacy- (1d20-2)[14]
    Have mercy on me in this next fight o' great gods of dice...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

briar looks at his present company and lifts up his quarterstaff "we might want to draw our weapons, they're getting closer"

Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, i didn't expect to hear much i'm still waiting to roll higher than a 10. although, i guess i did get in the 20's, just

i was going to see if i had a useful spell, but i won't be able to do much spell wise until they come within eyesight
    Last edited by Somensjev; 2014-07-07 at 07:01 PM.

extended signature