A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [IC] Guardians of the Flower Garden [Magical Burst]

It looks like a cat, but with bigger paws, ears and muzzle. A lion cub, pale, with black runes inked on its fur.
    "Call me Jad-bal-ja", they say, with the soft voice of a little boy. "We've already met, remember? I'm what we call here a tsukaima. Think of me as your guardian spirit. There are more like me, but I am yours, and I hope to help you keep the world devoid from horrors and ugliness as much as possible."
    They tilt their head serenely. "Sognatrice. Anima Magus. Dröm Beskyddar. Dream Witch. Promise Keeper. Mahoutsukai. Magical Girl. Those are names for what you've been allowed to become, the powers and magic you obtained, thanks to the promise we made. The world is full of invisible monsters normal people can't see, but you can defend yourselves and your loved ones, now. Kill them, kill the youma before they can enact more horrors, bring me back their Oblivion Seeds as proof of their death, and with 13 of them, your wish will finally be granted to you. Do not fear, you won't be alone in your task. More girls like you just accepted the contract. You shall all meet soon."
    They lower their head. "I will meet you, too. There is one thing, until then, that you must never forget: do not let those who are not like you know about you. If they see you for what you are, if they see that your two selves are one and the same, they will turn back, they will abandon you.
    Men can be animals.
    Don't look back."
    The cub's presence fades, and the dream becomes a numb, comforting blur.

*opening credits*

-----

You wake up after a good night's sleep. You feel something important is going to happen today.
    This is a day of May, a bright day of Spring. The school year began not long ago.
    You get ready for school. Tokyo is a city of glass and steel, clear and clean. The city you live in, and that you've been tasked to protect.
    The school day starts as scheduled, nothing supernatural in sight so far. You're keeping your Jewel close and safe.
    Before the classes are over, what happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Guardians of the Flower Garden [Magical Burst]

She awakens alone. The house is empty and silent, save for her breath in it. She pads on slippered feet, and eats alone. She dresses alone. She prepares to leave alone when a *thump* against the side window announces Uzume's arrival in the morning.

Her heart warms a bit, but the melancholy rages on. She enters her school. <Generic City High School> looks like any height school she has been to. It feels right too. Under her feet and hands.

But her mind. Her eyes don't agree. They like to see things they shouldn't be there. Doors that are locked, doors obscured by cloud or most, or shadow, doors that vanish when you stare at them too long.

Something is wrong here, and isn't just the school. It everywhere. We have to fix it.

I can fix it.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura got up - well, figuratively speaking. In reality, she just sat up in bed, of course, and started dressing. Pulling the uniform skirt on took some effort, but she was used to that already. Heaving herself into a wheelchait stending waitingly next to her bed, Laura reached into a bedside table and retrieved a small purple medallion on a simple string. Settling it around her neck and under the uniform, she nodded and rolled out to the kitchen. In the kitchen, way too large for a household of three, her mother was already taking a tray of buns out of the oven. Valentina Giambolli gained a few pounds over the last half a year - but anyone would say that those pound all went to the right places.
    Laura smiled. Hewr parents took the incident much harder than the girl herself, she knew - dad still blamed himself for failing to catch her - that's why she had to stay cheerful, for their sake as well.

Receiving a kiss on the forehead from her mom, and grabbing a bun for herself, Laura rolled her wheelchair out and headed to school. As usual, she met Micchan - Fijiwara Mikan - about halfway to the school. Merrily chatting about yesterday's episode of a dorama, Mikan pushed the wheelchair - Laura's pride usually forced her to reject such help, but Micchan was an exception. Laura knew for a fact that Mikan helped her because she wanted to, not because she felt oblidged to - and that was a huge difference.

The classes went as usual. Their class had PE the last lesson before lunch, and Laura, who, of course, didn't have to attend, followed Micchan to the door to the changing room, finally giving her a cheering smile and whispering, "Don't let me down!" The girls were supposed to do gymnastics today, and Laura spent most of yeserday's evening at Micchan's house, coaching her friend at cartwheels - Mikan was really worried about them.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Eri drags herself out of bed and pushes her hair into a more managable condition. She brushes her teeth in the mirror, while trying to see how to do a smile that looks natural and just like how she used to smile. She throws on her uniform and heads to school. She hangs out with her friends and boyfriend, but says enough that she might as well had not been there, as Jojo so helpfully pointed out. But him noticing coaxed out her first genuine smile of the day, though it was a weak smile. She spends the rest of her day in kind of a haze, doodling her magical girl outfit instead of taking notes.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Blinking the sleep from her eyes, Nodoka slowly woke and sat up. It took real effort to get out of bed but she did so anyway, dressing, brushing her teeth. All the usual things. A routine that kept ticking. After the usual quiet and comforting breakfast with both her parents she left for school, her mind slowly slipping from the brief warmth and respite back to her usual solitude. Thoughts of a dream kept trying to surface in her mind and she tentatively tried to grasp on to them, to hold them for hope. She was someone new now. She was someone else. That's all that really mattered, she could be someone else.

The school day passed largely uneventfully as she stuck to her routine. Lunch was eaten in the back of the library, tucked away between the book shelves. Rei-san joined her and they ate in companionable silence for a while before Nodoka quietly finished and excused herself. She still didn't really know who Rei-san was, nor why she joined her for lunch so often, but it helped. She didn't feel quite so lonely with rei-san around, though she'd not yet tried to have a full conversation with her. Just the company was enough to keep her occupied, more relaxed.

Almost absentmindedly, Nodoka kept tracing a line as she brushed hair out of her eyes, a finger running along behind her ear and down her jaw. It tingled, ever since the dreams started.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Miaka
    Watamoto-san's history lesson today is about Western Ancient History, digresses about Plato and his Allegory of the Cave. He tells the story of men chained in front of a blank cave wall, upon which shadows are projected, originating from the fire in their back. These men, having never seen anything else, believe this to be reality. Some men, though, can be unchained and walk out to discover the actual reality outside.
    That's when he starts digressing even further to talk about the trip he made 30 years ago in Greece...

Laura
    Mikan nods back, smiling hopefully.
    But when Laura sees her again after PE, Micchan is bruised, and has lost all confidence. Immediately, she apologizes to her friend: "I'm sorry... you really helped with the cartwheels, you really did, but-"
    A small buzz is heard, as Laura's phone receives a short video by text.
    "Oh no... don't look!"
    Spoiler: If Laura checks the video
    Show

Someone filmed Mikan doing cartwheels perfectly during PE, but a small ball is thrown at her while she does another one, and she falls flat on her face. All the girls are laughing at her.

Eri
    Jojo, sitting behind Eri, whispers to her while she's doodling. "Oh, that's pretty", he comments with a slight accent, "What are you drawing?"

Nodoka
    As she leaves, Rei dares speak up. "Huh, hey, Nodoka-san? If you lost something precious, but didn't know where it was, what would you do?"
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The warning comes too late, unfortunately, as Laura plays the video. "That's great, Micchan!" she exclaims, "I wasn't nearly as good after just one day of training-" which was technically true. Of course, Laura was four at that moment. At that moment, the clip's climax comes, and Laura bites her lip, almost dropping the phone, "Micchan... Are you alright? Does it hurt? If it does, even a little, you should go to the nurse..."

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Cave.

Not a bad analogy for my life now,
    Miaka thinks, scrawling down notes on a small tablet approved for use in the classroom.

She compares her life to that of the enlightened man, taken from the cave. She was in the dark, ignorant of what was going on around her, oblivious to pain and suffering. And then she was given sight. She didn't ask for it, it terrified her to know that there were things like her tsukaima in the world. And if what he said was right there were worse things yet.

And of course, the last part of the allegory, the fact that those the man had spent his whole life with staring at shadows upon the wall. The fact that they would kill the man who was damaged by e sun to keep themselves in the dark, it bore an eerie similarity to the warning in her dream...

Great. The trip to Greece again. Let's just hope the lecture on the Parthenon doesn't... Too late I guess.

The class was spared the rest if the story by the tolling bells. Taking her purse, her amazing purse, which seemed to have no end of room or things inside, she headed for lunch. She has a few friends left, and hopefully she manages to find one of them somewhere around the crowded cafeteria...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Nodoka paused and turned to Rei, a slightly confused look on her face. "What? Why would you do anything? It's lost, so it's gone. I suppose you could find something else?" Nodoka shrugged and continued to walk away, vaguely bemused at the strange question from a little girl.

Looking at her phone, Nodoka saw it was getting close to her next class, so she made her way back, walking sedately enough to let her lunch settle.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Nodoka, Miaka and Eri

Suddenly, you all receive on your phone a video from a classmate, accompanied with the message "just happened during PE, check it out LOL".
    Spoiler: Content of the video
    Show
    Someone filmed a girl, called Mikan, doing cartwheels perfectly during PE, but a small ball is thrown at her while she does another one, and she falls flat on her face. All the girls are laughing at her.

Laura
    Mikan shifts uncomfortably on her feet. "I'm... I'm okay, don't worry, it doesn't hurt..."
    A classmate nearby checks a message on his phone at the same moment. He laughs, then takes a double-take as he seems to recognize Mikan, and laughs even harder.
    "Stop it!", asks Micchan, "It's not my fault I fell! Thanks to Laura's help, I was doing fine, it's not my fault someone-"
    "What", incredulously replies the boy, "Laura? That girl here?" He points at Laura. "You got cartwheel advice from a... man, this is getting better! I have to tell everyone else!", he comments, starting to type furiously on his phone.
    Mikan seems on the verge of tears, and is very sorry to have involuntarily gotten her friend involved in that personal problem.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura can only shake her head and cling tighter to Mikan's hand, "It's OK, don't worry about anything... you did nothing wrong... but... That was mean!" she shouts to the laughing boy, "What's wrong with asking a friend for help?"

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Miaka was halfway through her lunch when the video was linked to her. She watched as half the cafeteria started laughing while they looked at their phones or tablets. She opted to finish her lunch before she looked at the video.

She gasped when she saw it. That isn't funny. At all. And my god, the comments...

Cripple... Katawa... Baka.... Most hilarious thing in the world...

My god... She texts Laura.

<Have you seen this thing? What are they doing? Why is this funny? And how can they say these things about it? About you!?>
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2014-07-06 at 01:47 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Slightly startled by her phone, which rarely got any attention at all, Nodoka flipped it open and saw the video attached. It first seemed fairly normal, though the cartwheel was impressive. When the ball came in and knocked the girl over however, Nodoka frowned. There wasn't really any sense or point to it. Once the video had finished, Nodoka deleted the mail, flipped her phone closed and entered her next class, checking for the fight books in her desk.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: To everyone who checks the video
    Show

On the first, or second look, you suddenly feel detached from reality for the briefest instant; nobody around notices it. A message appears instead of the embarrassing scene, in a runic alphabet you didn't know until now that you could read: "SHARE ME AND BE COOL". All the comments have turned into "DON'T THINK".
    It's not normal. It's not normal at all. The urge to obey surely isn't. This has to be some kind of magic.
    Stay Calm.
    - On a 15+, you resist the urge and overcome your shock effortlessly.
    - On a 12-14, you resist the urge, but feel the force behind it manages to take something away from you. Take 1 Overcharge on the attribute of your choice.
    - On an 11 or less, you also do something embarrassing - in this case, you obey the urge and share the link before you can catch yourself doing it. (If you were intending to share it anyway, you instead share it with someone your age you have a relationship with, and lose 1 rank in it, as they wonder what's wrong with you.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

As Nodoka checked through her books, her phone in her bag caught her eye - there was a little light blinking on it. Frowning again, she picked it up and flipped it open, only to see 'Message Sent' on the screen. Confused, she checked what had been sent, and saw she'd forwarded the video to another person in class.

"What? I don't remem.." she began, before a flicker of runic forms swirled in her memory. Shuddering, she snapped the phone closed and stared at it for a while. "That's... not acceptable..."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

As realisation strikes Laura, she clenches Mikan's hand even tighter - then lets go immediately, realizing that might very well hurt. "Micchan", she whispers, "We need to talk where no one overhears us. I... have to find whoever shot it. It's... because of what I've told you that time..."

At that moment, her phone beeps again. Laura almost deletes the message without reading it, but stops at the last moment. It's nice to know Miaka managed to resist it too...
    {I did}, she texts in response, {Don't worry, I'm fine... but I need to find whoever started it... it's for their own sake.}

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Miaka bites her lower lip as she reads the reply to her message. There was something wrong with the message, but when she managed to overcome the urge it suggested, she had hoped her friends had too. But clearly, that was not entirely the case.

With fingers tapping quickly overt he keypad, the reply was finished and sent less than a minute later.

<If you think you have to Laura-chan. Just let me come too, okay?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Laura

The guy opens his mouth to reply: "No offense, but-"
    Which makes it a certainty that the rest of his sentence is going to be awful. Mikan already looks ready to slap him, but thankfully, the two girls have a good excuse to leave before it escalates. "... okay, Laura-chan. Kouta, just... just stop talking to us, please."

Everyone
    Before school is over, at some point during the day, you remember one detail of your last dream: you dreamed your tsukaima was in a nearby shrine, which is all but abandoned. If the other girls Jad-bal-ja recruited had the same vision, they might be found there as well.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

As they head to the roof, Laura whipers, taking care to not let anyone overhear, "That video... it's magical. It forces anyone who watches it to send it to friends... Seems some people could resist it, but... it's still bad. It's most likely the doing of a Youma... and my only clue to finding that Youma would be the one who shot the video..." it's nice Miaka-chan resisted it too, but... it's a shame I can't tell her the truth...

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Sometime during the day...

Oh no! I forgot my math book! I wonder... Eyeing her purse, she decides to give it a try. Looking around before the class starts to see if no one else is watching her, she thrusts her hand into her purse. She grabs ahold of something inside and starts tugging it out. At first it seems like it won't fit through the mouth of the bag, the bag just suddenly opens up, and out comes a book.

At least its the right one... Oh no! It's last years book! And my handwriting wasn't that horrible was it? It was. That's my doodle in the corner... geez. I hope I don't get called on today...

Later...

Miaka pulls out her phone.

I wonder if everyone got the same video today. There was definitely something weird about it. I should check with Nodoka too. She goes to the same school, so I could check with her too.

Fingers fly over the keypad, sending out the text in the minutes between classes.

<Nodoka, did you get that odd message, with the video link? If you have, don't open it. Its mean and doesn't do any good for anyone. Oh, and wanna meet me by the gate after school? There is a place I want to go check out. Then we can go get some tea and cake at Tirade before I have to start work, k?>

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Still irritated with her phone, Nodoka simply went to class and tried to keep her mind off of it. Near the end of the day a typical chime sounded from it, and Nodoka picked it back up in mild surprise before checking who it was from. Miaka. A friend.

Frowning at her phone again, Nodoka flipped it open and read the message, her eyebrows furrowing further as it was too late to avoid the previous text. At least meeting up with someone would be pleasant, and cake was always a good way to spend the evening. She typed a typical message back, < Sure. ( ~_~)/ > and finished up her classes.

When the final bell rang, Nodoka quietly packed her books away, unhooked her bag and made her way to the front gate, a slight smile on her face easing away the frown that had been there most of the afternoon. She did like cake. Maybe Jad-bal-ja would want some.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Walking at a brisk pace down to the front gate after the final bell, Miaka stays away from the crowds of people. They always seem so happy. Happier than she is, at any rate. Then she spies Nodoka in among the throng of kids walking along to escape from the school grounds. Stepping up her pace, she catches up quickly and taps the girl on the shoulder.

Hey, Nodoka. Ready to go? The place isn't too far from here. An old shrine, you know the one. It's the rundown one, with all the urban legends about it being haunted and all?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Peering round at the groups and cliques forming up after school as the students started to go to clubs or out with friends, Nodoka felt a little bit lonely once again, though it was a fairly common occurrence now. They all looked like they were enjoying life so much, all had purpose. It made Nodoka feel almost as if something was wrong. Maybe it was all a mask, since such happiness couldn't possibly be genuine all the time..

"Hi." Nodoka said as Miaka tapped her. Shaking herself slightly out of her reprieve, she nodded. "I'm ready, I know that shrine too. I dreamt of it actually." She hoisted her bag on her shoulder and gave a small smile for the company, beginning to walk towards the Shrine.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Did you say dream?

It can't be...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Nodoka shrugged and nodded. "Yes, I had a dream about this shrine. I lost my face here, and I was beautiful underneath. I was whole..." Nodoka trailed off, slightly lost in her thoughts with a wistful smile on her face, as she continued walking.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

The shrine is empty, as expected, and looks like no one's come in a couple decades. The kami of this place are long-forgotten. Not that many in this modern world remembers them, if they even existed in the first place.
    In the obscurity, suddenly, ghostly runes glow in the air, detailing a certain lion cub's silhouette when the light fades.
    "I have much to teach you, but first, have my greetings, and see who here responded to my call."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

After a short pause wondering if she should respond, after all, Nodoka wasn't a magical girl. But then again, she said she dreamed about this temple. So did Miaka. After weighing this over in her mind for what seemed like forever, she finally spoke up

Everyone has something to teach. And much to learn.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Nodoka smiled and nodded at the cub. "Sure, teach."

She slipped her bag off her shoulder and carefully placed it on the ground before beginning to loosen up her shoulders and hips. After a few stretches, Nodoka began to limber up properly.

Turning to Miaka, Nodoka gave her a small smile. "Aren't you going to stretch out? You'll hurt yourself otherwise."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

No. I'm still fairly limber from gym and the walk over.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

"Never underestimate the importance of preper stretching!" Laura says in a mentorish tone, holding her finger up, then chuckles, "Though I'm not really in the position to say that right now, am I? Still", she turns towards Nodoka, "Need some help? Believe it or not, I was pretty flexible back in the days..."

Extended signature