New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Simple Q&A (By the RAW) II

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here.
    If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here.
    If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here.
    You may want to skim the old Q&A thread to see if your question has already been asked and answered here.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3 What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?
    Q.5. Where can I find this “Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil” everyone is talking about?
    Q.6. What is GURPS?

{The first version of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2007-04-06 at 10:18 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By the RAW) II

Q 001

Is there anything in RAW that places conditions on certain types of creatures and their ability to hover/fly backwards based on their method of flight?

I.e. a dire bat flying backwards or hovering in place is rather unlikely, but that is apparently conferred as it has a good maneuverability rating.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

A. 001

Unless otherwise noted in their description, it is determined by their maneuverability rating.

Hovering or moving backwards requires good or perfect maneuverability.

Feats can help improve your aerial performance and maneuverability.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-02-27 at 04:26 AM.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 002

How often can the Blighter PrC from Complete Divine use his Blightfire ability?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

A. 002

As often as the Blighter can take a Standard action. There is no daily limit.

(Or rather, assuming 14400 rounds a day, the limit is 14400/day)
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-02-27 at 04:54 AM.
    LLS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 003

The Dragon Shaman's Touch of Vitality says "Each day you can heal a number of points of damage equal to twice your class level x your Charisma Bonus", how many could you heal if your modifier was 0 or a penalty?
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    Q 003

The Dragon Shaman's Touch of Vitality says "Each day you can heal a number of points of damage equal to twice your class level x your Charisma Bonus", how many could you heal if your modifier was 0 or a penalty?
    None. A bonus isn't a penalty. If you have a -1 Charisma mod, it's a penalty, and - by extension - you have no Charisma bonus.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

A 003

Since you have no bonus, it appears you would be unable to use the Touch of Vitality ability at all.

My advice: get a Charisma of at least 12.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

9. - Top - End - #9

Q 004

Are there any RAW rules governing/defining modifiers for situations where multiple creatures must, for some reason, occupy the same 5' square? Specifically small and medium sized characters, and who are healthy (i.e. not disabled in any important way) and not grappling. I understand the default of moving the "invading" character to the nearest unoccupied square, but in some cases that is either impossible (there aren't any), or preposterous (nearest is 50' away, for instance).

Thx.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

A 004

That would best be represented by the squeezing rules.

The PHB even uses an example of one creature squeezing past another in confined quarters.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-02-27 at 11:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 005

If a creature whose attack only does ability damage has levels in rogue, would the sneak attack damage be hit point damage or more ability damage?
    Last edited by Burk; 2007-02-27 at 11:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

A 005

It would be reflected through hit point damage.

This answer is an extension of the guidelines given in All About Sneak Attacks (Part Four) on the WotC website.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-02-28 at 12:00 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q005 Are there any feats aside from Improved Trip/Disarm that can improve your Trip/Disarm attempts? If there are in which books are they?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Q006 Is someone going to create a FAQ from the last Q&A thread?

15. - Top - End - #15

Q 007
    Monkey Grip allows someone to use a weapon one size category "bigger then they are" at a -2 penalty. Ony of my players is playing a Half-Giant weilding a great axe. Now, for being a half-giant he is a large category for purposes of weilding weapons and grapple and all that stuff, but he is still technically a Medium creature. Does this mean that he can use large weapons with no penalty (due to being a Half-Giant) and Monkey Grip will allow him to use Huge weapons at a -2 penalty? Or not because Monkey Grip allows you to use a weapon one size category larger than YOU are, not one size category larger than what you can already use? Since he is still a Medium, should Monkey Grip only allow Large weapons? Isn't this a digression for a race such as a Half-Giant?

jp
    Thanks to DarkCorax for the "Gnome Wizard", which holds a special place in my heart as it's the first DnD character I'd ever made.

Live everyday like it's your last and one day, you'll be right.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q008

Do templates acquired after character creation change the LA of a creature?
    Last edited by ampcptlogic; 2007-02-28 at 11:13 AM.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 007
    Monkey grip does not stack with powerful build. He is still a medium sized creature and monkey grip only applies to weapons one size cat larger (large in this case).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jpbooth View Post
    Q 007>>snip<<
    Monkey Grip and Powerful build both (essentially) do the same thing - they allow you to wield a weapon one size larger than you are. Those last three words are the really important ones. Neither allows you to wield a weapon larger than you normally can.

In the case of your half-giant (and a goliath, and any other race with Powerful Build), Power Build allows you to use Large weapons with no penalty; Monkey Grip allows you to use Large weapons with a -2 penalty.

In conclusion: spend your feat on something else. ;)
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Q006 Is someone going to create a FAQ from the last Q&A thread?

A.006
    This question cannot be answered by the RAW.

More seriously, I'm not sure what you mean by a "FAQ" - questions should, theoretically, not be asked more than once (let alone frequently) within the same thread - so there should be no frequently asked questions. If you mean an index of all the questions from the last thread, the answer is probably not. I don't view it as worth the time investment to keep an index of all the questions and answers. If someone wanted to volunteer, they are welcome to do so.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2007-02-28 at 12:00 PM.
    Forum Rules

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ampcptlogic View Post
    Q008

Do templates acquired after character creation change the LA of a creature?
    Yes, the LA still works normally.

There's generally three ways to handle it. For our example, we'll take a character who is acquiring the Celestial template (+2 LA).

1) The character gains all the benefits of the template now, essentially pushing his ECL two ahead of the party. For a while he'll be more powerful than the rest of the party, but in two levels they'll catch up.
    2) Don't allow the character to gain any abilities from the template until he/she has earned enough XP to level twice. Then give the benefits of the template.
    3) Build a level advancement for the template, and have the PC take "levels" in celestial for the next two levels. Basically, you determine how many levels you need (2 in our example), and you split the abilities up among those two levels. The PC then must spend his/her next two class levels on these.

I like option 3 the best; option 2 is a way screw your PC, and I don't recommend it (but, unfortunately, I've heard of people using it).

If you need help with a level progression, it's a great topic for a new thread.

edit: and I have a "procedural" question for Roland. I just realized that had you not answered the FAQ question, I would've double posted. Is it better (for this thread) to put multiple answers in one post, or is this thread a sort of exception to the double (or even triple) post rule so that answers are nice and neat?
    Last edited by Zherog; 2007-02-28 at 11:55 AM.
    John Ling

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    Yes, the LA still works normally.

There's generally three ways to handle it. For our example, we'll take a character who is acquiring the Celestial template (+2 LA).
    Thanks. You read my mind. Sort of. The character is an Aasimar and might turn into a Celestial, given enough time. I might start that thread if it looks like the game will survive.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    <snip>

edit: and I have a "procedural" question for Roland. I just realized that had you not answered the FAQ question, I would've double posted. Is it better (for this thread) to put multiple answers in one post, or is this thread a sort of exception to the double (or even triple) post rule so that answers are nice and neat?
    You can do whatever you feel is clearer. Feel free to combine answers into a single post or separate them into different posts to enhance clarity.
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

A. 005

There are few feats that does what you are looking for. There are a couple that does the opposite and some that does something related.

I do not know if this is any help to you:

Trip

- Gore Toss (Dragon #313) gives a free trip attempt on a successful gore attack.

- Knockdown (Deities and Demigods, Sword and Fist) knocks opponents down.

- Tail Sweep Knockdown (Draconomicon) knocks opponents down.

- Knockdown Power (Complete Psionics) knocks opponents down.

- Curling Wave Strike (Stormwrack) allows you to make multiple trip attempts against different foes.

- Improvised Trip Attack (Dragon #295) allows for tripping with thrown weapons.

Disarm

- Double Weapon Disarm (Dragon #309) bonus on disarm with double weapon.

- Ranged Disarm (Complete Warrior), as the name.

- Snatch Weapon (Song and Silence), snatch it after a successful disarm.

Anti-Trip & -Disarm

- Combat Stability (PH II) protects against trip and disarm attempts

- Cunning Sidestep (Draconomicon) allows you to try and avoid being tripped.

Edit:
    Hopefully this puny attempt to offer my assistance has brought attention to your question, so someone else might be able to offer more insights.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-03-01 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added a few
    LLS

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Q009

If I start a campaign with characters not at first level, how many GPs of equipment should they have?

I'm aware that there is a table for this in the DMG, but I don't have one. It's not in the SRD; I guess it doesn't qualify as Open Game Content.
    The Chronicles of Jakwin A 3.5 D&D Campaign Setting.

avatar is a cool guy eh can bend air and doesn't afraid of anything

Don't say anything. I think my avatar might be the Avatar!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deckmaster View Post
    Q009

If I start a campaign with characters not at first level, how many GPs of equipment should they have?

I'm aware that there is a table for this in the DMG, but I don't have one. It's not in the SRD; I guess it doesn't qualify as Open Game Content.
    Correct - that table isn't open content, so we can't share it.

WotC assumes characters have magic weapons by level 3, or 4 at the latest. So that's something you'll want to keep in mind when determining how much cash. Armor should be about the same level - +1 or so. And they should certainly still be able to afford other minor stuff (potions, general equipment, small magic items, scrolls, and so on). Just put a little thought into what you might expect characters to have at certain levels, and you can probably back into a decent number for your own campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    You can do whatever you feel is clearer. Feel free to combine answers into a single post or separate them into different posts to enhance clarity.
    Excellent. I know double or even triple posting is normally frowned upon around these parts; but I do think answering each question in a separate post makes things more readable. Glad I won't get smacked on the knuckles by a mod's ruler for it. :D
    John Ling

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 010

Natural Bond (a feat in CAdv) gives you a +3 to your effective Druid Level. It says that that bonus cannot make your druid level exceed your character level. How would this work with the Beastmaster prestige class? (It stacks directly at BM level +3 to determine your Druid level for animal companions, but allows you to exceed your character level)
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2007-02-28 at 11:13 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 011

Theoreticly if a monsterous snake had a head at both ends could it flank with itself?
    Last edited by jlousivy; 2007-03-01 at 10:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

A 010

It works exactly as stated, Natural Bond cannot make your Effective Druid Level higher than your character level. Beastmaster's ability does not suffer this restriction, but it does not remove it from Natural Bond.

Basically the +3 a beastmaster gets does not count as 'character levels', so Natural Bond will not have any effect if your current druid level is equal or higher than your current character level. Of course, the two bonuses do stack when both apply, so a Barbarian 6/Beastmaster 1 with Natural Bond will have an effective druid level of 7 (+4 from Beastmaster, +3 from Natural Bond), exactly equal to his character level.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Q12

How does an Elan work as far as will save, hit dice, attack bonus, and skill points.

Its entry says its an Aberration and they have special stats, do you take the best of the stats from the aberration/class levels. I.e. if you have a better hit dice for the class level you take better class level hit dice but if you have a bad will save from your class you take the better aberration will save?

they can be found here
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2007-03-01 at 12:52 AM.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

30. - Top - End - #30

A 11 (from jlousivy)

No, Flanking explicitly requires two seperate creatures. Multiple heads is not sufficient.

A 12 (from crazedloon)

No, Monster saves, hit dice, skills, etc. only apply to monster levels (in this case racial HD, of which the elan has none). Undead are the exception to this, and even then they only modify HD.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!