New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By the RAW) II

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    Q40
    How much would an item of continous Silent Image cost?
    There's no RAW answer for your question, because the section in the DMG/SRD about magic item pricing is just guidelines. I recommend a new thread, and describe exactly what you would expect the magic item to do. Don't be surprised, though, if you get wildly different answers from people.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

In that case...
    Q41
    Is there any way to see through a darkness/deeper darkness spell without negating/dispelling it?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

A40 The table for estimating magic item costs can be found here. The recommended cost for a wondrous item allowing continuous use of Silent Image is Spell Level * Caster Level * 2000 gold.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    A40 The table for estimating magic item costs can be found here. The recommended cost for a wondrous item allowing continuous use of Silent Image is Spell Level * Caster Level * 2000 gold.
    Which is going to work out to 2000 gp, which is much too low. Which is why I suggested it needed to have it's own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74
    Q41
    Is there any way to see through a darkness/deeper darkness spell without negating/dispelling it?
    Some outsiders (many devils, for example) can see through darkness, even magical darkness. The warlock has an invocation (called Devil's Sight) that does the same thing.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    A40 - further
    One could make the argument that this will give you a Magic Item that will create a Silent Image only as long as you concentrate on it.

Basically the Magic item guidelines require house ruling whenever you get out of specific areas. A spell with a duration "concentration" is outside those areas.

Stephen

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74 View Post
    In that case...
    Q41
    A41
    Technically, since these spells both provide illumination, anyone can see through them. Some people can just see through better. See other's answers on how to improve your ability to see through Darkness and cousins. (Classic situation - You're in a place with no light. Rather than cast Light and stand out like a beacon to all enemies, cast Darkness and presto, you can now see, but don't show up to anyone outside the radius of the spell. :-) )

Stephen

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q42
    Is it ever possible to make a full attack with a sling?

Totally unrelated, so I'll take a number for it too:
    Q43
    If a neutral cleric casts any of Blasphemy/Holy Word/Dictum/Word of Chaos, do they suffer the effects?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
    Q42
    Yes, if your BAB is less than +6. ;)
    John Ling

9. - Top - End - #129
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A43
    Yes. A neutral Hierophant who took Spell Power all five times, has an Orange Prism Ioun Stone, and used a Bead of Karma from a Strand of Prayer Beads would kill himself if he cast Holy Word.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #130

DwarfFighterGuy

Q42
    Yes, but you will need a Quick Draw since ammunition for slings is considered thrown weapons (which require move action to draw normaly).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A042

I think you are confusing slings with shuriken.

Yes, slings let you apply your strength mod as damage, but they are otherwise treated the same as any other projectile weapon. Drawing sling ammunition is a free action. However, loading the sling is a move action. Unlike a crossbow, you cannot take Rapid Reload to reduce that time. I am unaware of any feats or class abilities that reduce the time it takes to load a sling.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Q044

How does the Bloodclaw Master's Pouncing Strike ability mesh with manouvers such as Battle Leader's Charge (White Raven)?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

A. 044

Each Pouncing Strike deals the additional damage if they hit during a Battle Leader's Charge.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q45 What are the mechanical differences from the Maul (CW) and the Goliath Greathammer(RoS)? Are they the same thing?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

A. 045

No, the Goliath Greathammer is superior in every way, except that it costs more, weighs more and can only be wielded two-handed.

I do not think any of these weapons are OGC, so I do not think I can say much more at this stage.
    LLS

16. - Top - End - #136

Q. 046 Thri-kreen. XPH lists the psionic version as 2 racial HD, LA +2. MMII, with the update, lists the NONpsionic version as LA +1, and the psionic as +3. This does not include the RHD, correct? If so, why is the psionic version at a greater LA?

Q. 047 The feat Adaptive Style from Tome of Battle. The feat allows a martial adept to change his readied maneuvers. If his maneuvers are expended, does the feat re-ready them? If not, how does the feat work?

Q. 048 War Hulks have the ability Great Swing, which allows them to choose 3 adjacent, threatened squares and attack them as a full-round action with one roll. Later on, they get the ability to make such an attack "as a standard action." However, this upgrade also states that the warhulk could use the ability multiple times, if the warhulk could make multiple attacks. Which is it? A standard action? Or can it be applied to any attack?
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

A. 046

It is hard to answer, you have already quoted the RAW.
    I suggest you use the XPH version.

A. 047

Certainly.

A. 048

The War Hulk needs to be included in the GBoE I quoted earlier.
    The ability contradicts itself, I suggest you go with the Standard Action.
    LLS

18. - Top - End - #138

Q 049

In mounted combat (provided you have a warhorse, or an otherwise combat trained mount) are you still allowed to take a full action even after your mount took a full action, for example to run?

As a corollary, where can I find detailed rules on mounted combat?
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2007-03-06 at 11:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Re: A. 047 Could you go into a little more detail? While this is my initial reading of the feat (based on how it acts for crusaders, it should work similarly for other manifesters), the wording is just slightly ambiguous enough to allow debate. The fact that, given such an interpretation, the feat is incredibly good, and essentially a must-have feat for a Swordsage, makes such argument likely, as some will say it is too good and "clearly doesn't work that way." So I was looking for ammunition to counter such an argument.

Edit: also, GBoE? was this in a prior incarntion of this thread?
    Last edited by SpiderBrigade; 2007-03-06 at 11:22 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

A. 049

You can make a full-round action while your mount is taking one, but you are restricted in what kind of actions you can make.
    For instance, you cannot make a melee full attack if your mount moves more than 5 feet.

More information can be found in the PHB under Special Attacks and under the ride skill.

There is also the Rules of the Game article series.
    LLS

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

A046 The MM-II is a 3.0 book, not a 3.5 one. Thri-Kreen were updated to 3.5 in the XPH, and therefore the copy found in the XPH is considered to be the primary source.

A047 "...as if you had just prepared them at the start of the day." Initiators receive readied maneuvers at the start of the day. Yes, it is just that good.

A049 You are. You can find rules for mounted combat in the SRD underneath the Mounted Combat heading. Do note: skirmish does not work from horseback, so no mounted scout cheese for you.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-03-06 at 11:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Fax, what about the MM-II "update to 3.5" PDF? Does that not count?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

It does count, but any material that was actually updated and not just part of an update booklet caries a little more weight.
    LLS

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

A46 (more)

XPH was published after the update book as well. WotC's "rule of thumb" is that the most recent source takes precedent. So if you have differences between MM2 (including the update booklet) and the XPH, the stuff in the XPH is considered the "current" version.
    John Ling

25. - Top - End - #145

46 continued. Also, taking a longer, harder look at the MMII version, the psionic thri-kreen gets Chameleon and Know Direction at will rather than 3/day. So that probably merits the +1 to LA. Yay, I answered my own question

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    A. 049

You can make a full-round action while your mount is taking one, but you are restricted in what kind of actions you can make.
    For instance, you cannot make a melee full attack if your mount moves more than 5 feet.

More information can be found in the PHB under Special Attacks and under the ride skill.

There is also the Rules of the Game article series.
    Note: There are laos some prestige classes that extend the movement your mount can make with you retaining the ability to make a melee full attack. Wild Outrise - Comp Advent is one example where your mount can make a single move and you still get to make a full Melee attack.

Basically you should look at the various splat books and at the start of the Prestige classes they'll normally tell you which ones are aimed at mounted combat types.

Stephen

27. - Top - End - #147

HalflingRangerGuy

A 48 Speculations.

I think they meant attack. So you can swing for each numeric value you get for getting high BAB. This is watered down by the non-progression of the War-hulk's BAB. You can first make a single swing as a full atack, Then you can make as many swings as your bab and feats allow(twf whatever). I think.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 050

This is a realy stupid question and I should know this but what is the attack bonus based off of when you calculate offhand attacks while fighting with 2 weapons. Is it your highest base attack - the modifier or is it 0 - modifier?
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2007-03-06 at 10:44 PM.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

A 050

It's your highest attack bonus.

Example: An 11th level fighter has a BAB of +11/+6/+1. If he begins fighting with two light weapons and without the Two-weapon fighting feat would have a primary hand attacks take a -4 penalty, and his off-hand attacks take a -8 penalty. This gives us +7/+2/-3 for primary attacks, and an off-hand attack at +3. (This takes into account only BAB and two-weapon fighting penalties, but not Strength, magic or any other modifiers.)

Extra attacks gained through Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting are likewise figured off of one's highest attack bonus. If our 11th level fighter had Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting and fights with two light weapons, his attack routine would be modified as follows:

Primary Hand: +11/+6/+1 minus 2 for a total of +9/+4/-1

Off Hand:
    • Two-Weapon Fighting reduces the usual -8 penalty to -2 giving us: +11 minus 2 (total: +9)
    • Improved Two-Weapon Fighting grants an additional attack at +11 minus 2 minus 5 (total: +4)
    • Greater Two-Weapon Fighting grants an additional attack at +11 minus 2 minus 10 (total: -1)

Total Off-hand routine: +9/+4/-1.

Note that the penalties in the Two-weapon fighting table apply to all attacks made with the respective hand.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-03-06 at 11:07 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 050 continued

So when getting the attack bonus of an ofhand's 2 attack you start with highest Bab -2 (assuming light weapons) then subtract the 5 from Improved Two-Weapon Fighting or do you subtract 5 from highest Bab? (and thank you)
    Check out my horrible homebrews