New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A (By the RAW) II

Q 079

Ok, so I'm a bit confused on movement through the plane of shadow. The DMG states that the Plane of Shadow allows you to move great strides. And when you read the Shadow Walk spell description, it says that you move 50 miles an hour, which is (by my calculations) 440 feet a round. But then again that is in between the two planes. So my question is: How does movement work on the Plane of Shadow.

(also, any other info about movement on the border of the two planes, etc. would be appreciated)
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 080

Does a shield bash incur standard 2 weapon fighting penalties? Does that mean two weapon defence can be used on shields?

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

A. 079

I don't think there is anymore RAW information than you have already found.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

A. 080

Yes, you treat the shield like you would any other off-hand weapon.

Two weapon Defense apply, but it grants a shield bonus that does not stack with the shield bonus to AC granted by shields.
    LLS

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    A. 075

Yes.

Remember that ECL = HD + LA
    A. 075 more info:

While the wererat and weretiger have the exact save level adjustment (LA), don't forget that you also acquire animal hit dice when you become a lycanthrope. And the animal hit die is a fairly sucky one overall, which factors into it.

A wererat gets 1 animal hit die; a weretiger gets 6. So if each were 1st level fighters, the wererat would have an ECL of 4 (1 level + 1 HD + 2 LA), while the weretiger would have an ECL of 9 (1 level + 6 HD + 2 LA). Very different characters.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Q81 When a caster uses a scroll of a level they cannot yet use they have to make a caster level check (DC scrolls caster level +1) is this roll modified by anything? ie is a caster level check modified by any stat or level bonus?

As it stands there is no difference between a 1st level caster and a 15th level caster using a 9th (spell) level scroll
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

A. 081

To make a caster level check you roll a d20 and add your caster level (1d20 + CL).

So the difference between a 1st level and a 15th level caster's average caster level check is 14.

Certain class features (like the Archmage's Spell Power) and Cleric Domains also increases effective Caster Level and thereby your chance of succeeding on caster level checks.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-03-11 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added possible modifiers
    LLS

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q082
    Heart of water spell lets you activate Freedom of Movement as swift action for the duration of the spell. Would you be able to activate it while paralized since you can take purely mental actions? In other words is this swift action purely mental or not?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

A. 082

A swift action is not a purely mental action by virtue of its swiftness.

If it requires the use of verbal, somatic and/or material components it is not a purely mental action.
    LLS

10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q082 more...
    In the spell description it says: "while this spell is active you can use swift action to activate a freedom of movement(as the spell) effect as swift action"
    What I meant was: what components this activation (swift action) has - same as spell or something different?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

A. 082 Ahhhhh

Yes, that would probably qualify as a purely mental action, since there is no "components" to such an activation, unless otherwise specified.

The FAQ provides the following guideline:

What exactly counts as a “purely mental” action, such as those allowed to the second mind created by the schism power (Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 130)? Does a silent, still spell count? What about a spell-like ability or a quickened spell?

The schism power specifically includes manifesting a power as an example of a purely mental action. Elsewhere in Expanded Psionics Handbook, this is expanded to include “casting spells with no verbal, somatic, or material components.” Thus, a silent, still spell wouldn’t count unless the spell also had no material components (including focuses).
    A spell-like ability is essentially a spell without verbal, somatic, or material components (and is described on page 180 of the Player’s Handbook as being activated “mentally”) so that qualifies as purely mental. This would also include psi-like abilities.
    Although a quickened spell doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, it still includes any verbal, somatic, or material components required by the nonquickened version of the spell, and thus doesn’t automatically qualify as a “purely mental” action by virtue of its speed.
    The Sage can think of a few other actions that fall into the category of “purely mental” actions:
    • Communicating with telepathy.
    • Concentrating to maintain a spell.
    • Dismissing a spell.
    • Directing or redirecting an active spell.
    • Lowering spell resistance.
    • Making a Knowledge check (assuming you aren’t consulting a text or other resource). Some other skill checks might be allowed at the DM’s option (such as a Spellcraft check made to identify a spell effect), but only if the character makes the check without any movement.
    When in doubt, the DM should use common sense and a pretty literal definition of “purely mental” to determine if something fits the bill. If the action requires any physical movement whatsoever (including speech), it shouldn’t qualify.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-03-11 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added FAQ entry
    LLS

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 83

I'm not entirely sure about what gets multiplied on a succesful critical attack. I believe it's the following:

*The base damage of the weapon
    *Your strength modifier (*1/5 or 0.5 as appropriate), or Dex if you have weapon finesse)
    *Enhancement bonuses (Like a +1 sword)
    *Other enhancements due to your own skills (Weapon Specialization)

As an example, I believe that if I, a fighter with strength 18 and weapon specialization for it, achieve a critical hit with a +2 Flaming Bastard Sword weilded in both hands, I believe the following is doubled:

*The 1d10 base damage
    *The 6 strength related damage
    *The 2 damage from the +2 enhancement
    *The 2 damage from weapon specialization
    *But not the 1d6 from the flaming ability

Meaning the weapon hits for 2d10 + 20 + 1d6.

Am I correct? Are there any other factors that get multiplied on a critical hit, or have I taken too many things into account?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

A. 083

You got it about right.
    Extra damage dice do not get multiplied, while static bonuses do get multiplied on a successful critical hit - as you said.

Note: You do not add Dex to damage, not even if you have the Weapon Finesse feat.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Multiplying Damage: Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.
    Last edited by Lord Lorac Silvanos; 2007-03-12 at 09:03 AM. Reason: SRD Reference
    LLS

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 84 Does CR correlate to ECL? In other words, if I advance a monster via HD, templates with LA, or class levels which raise the creature's ECL, is the CR raised by the same amount, some other related amount, or is the CR unrelated to ECL at all?
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

A 084

They are technically unrelated, but anything that increases CR is likely to increase LA and vice versa.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A84
    CR adjustments for adding HD depend on the type of HD as outlined here.
    Templates typically have a separate CR adjustment specified, so you can just apply that.
    Class levels increase CR by either 1 per 2 levels or 1 for each level, depending on whether the class in question works well for the particular monster. Reference.

Almost everything that increases ECL except associated class levels has a much reduced effect on CR.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

Q085

Does magical damage from a weapon (the 1d6 from Shock, for example) apply when making a damage roll for a sunder check?

Thanks in advance.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

A085 Yes, unless for some reason the item being sundered has immunity.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A 085

Note, however that energy damage still faces the usual modifications against attacking objects.

Q 86

If you make a sundering attack with a flaming greatsword +1, dealing 10 slashing damage from the sword and 2 fire damage from the flaming ability (after the energy damage is halved as usual against an object), do you apply hardness agains the total 12 points of damage or separately against the slashing and fire? I suspect the latter, but I could be wrong.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

A086 I would say apply against it as one lump sum of damage, but I don't have a RAW source to back me up. You don't apply DR against sword and sneak attack seperately, and I don't see why this would be any different.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

A. 086

I agree. The attack only constitutes one application of damage, so hardness should only be deducted once.
    LLS

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    You don't apply DR against sword and sneak attack seperately, and I don't see why this would be any different.
    That's an invalid comparison. You do apply DR to weapon damage, while energy damage is unaffected. In my opinion, this is the correct interpretation:

separately against the slashing and fire
    edit: actually, I'm not sure that's entirely correct either. In my opinion, the hardness reduces the physical damage, but the full elemental damage goes through regardless.
    Last edited by Zherog; 2007-03-12 at 04:07 PM.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    That's an invalid comparison. You do apply DR to weapon damage, while energy damage is unaffected. In my opinion, this is the correct interpretation:

edit: actually, I'm not sure that's entirely correct either. In my opinion, the hardness reduces the physical damage, but the full elemental damage goes through regardless.
    Except the SRD reads (paraphrased) "halve the elemental damage (unless acid or sonic) before applying hardness." So, one would think that you do apply the hardness to the damage. And applying seperately doesn't make sense, since it's still one source of damage.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post

Hardness is not DR.
    Hardness applies to both physical damage and elemental damage, but when they are delivered with the same attack I cannot see anything suggesting that they should be treated as separate sources of damage.
    LLS

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Here's the relevant bits:
    Hardness
    Each object has hardness—a number that represents how well it resists damage. Whenever an object takes damage, subtract its hardness from the damage. Only damage in excess of its hardness is deducted from the object’s hit points.
    Energy Attacks
    Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.
    From this, it looks like you roll damage (weapon and elemental), halve (or quarter) the elemental damage as appropriate, then apply hardness to the whole bundle.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Given those rules quotes, I agree. I was simply objecting to the comparison to sneak attack with DR, because elemental damage with DR is factored separately, and we're talking about elemental damage.
    John Ling

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Q087

Blind-Fight does not effect ranged fighting or does it?
    Check out my horrible homebrews

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

A. 087

No, it does not.
    LLS

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q088: Are caltrops reusable?