New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ingame References?

Quote Originally Posted by Belteshazzar View Post
    Does anyone else use references to movies, books, or other games in your games or characters.
    The one game I run has a fluff point that a weakening fabric of reality is causing large amounts of random magic spillover in certain areas (especially underground), "mutating" people in vestigial ways - that is, the more exposure the characters get in certain areas, the more they pick up odd vestigial physical traits. One's turning into a human-turtle, one's turning into a human-raven, one's turning into a human-demon, etc. No benefits from any of these (vestigial purely - no attacking someone with demon horns).

At some point random Final Fantasy references were driving me nuts, and I decided "OK! Next person who makes a Final Fantasy reference gets a Cow Point. The more Cow Points you get, the weirder your character looks." This didn't have nearly the effect I thought it would, mind you. My players have also frequently pointed out references that I've made which could be considered from FF games. Pointing out how many Cow Points the DM has is considered grounds for getting pwned.

So, yeah, there are frequently references in my games, although often it's not intentional.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

I had the same problem with **** Star Wars quotes in my Werewolf campaign. I had to set a quota: one Star Wars quote from the players per session. And no more than three Monty Python quotes. It worked, eventually.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

I just noticed a reference in the Spell Compendium: The Mark of the Outcast is a small skull. The Phantom, anyone?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

I have a /lot/ of references in my world and campaign, but not the funny type, more the obscure reference-type that my players will never, ever get, but I find fun to put in. Almost all the names of places come from strange foreign languages, meaning something that actually makes sense, but only if you know a lot more about the world than the PC's are ever going to discover. And some references only make sense in relation to others and to things I personally associate in my head.