New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Can you Rudisplork at D&D 2: Sithsnape and the Orcus of Secret House Rules

Okay, two questions. First one is for anyone, and second one is for jedipotter:

1. What the heck does "rudisplork" mean?
    2. Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
      Out of curiosity, Jedipotter, which of these comics depicts a more fun game in your opinion?

DM of the Rings

Darths and Droids
      I'd like an answer to this, jedipotter.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Can you Rudisplork at D&D 2: Sithsnape and the Orcus of Secret House Rules

IIRC, rudisplorking is a term that Kazudo (I believe) coined, which is synonymous with definition of cheating used by jedipotter, and which we refer to as munchkining. It was to show that calling it something doesn't make it something, ie, just because jedipotter called it cheating didn't mean that it was cheating.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Okay, two questions. First one is for anyone, and second one is for jedipotter:

1. What the heck does "rudisplork" mean?
    Early on in the last thread, back when it was still about cheating, and everyone was struggling to figure out how jedi's definition of cheating worked, Kazudo said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    I was thinking Earthbound myself, but that's neither here nor there.

The point is that if YOU call it cheating at your table, then it's cheating at your table. If Slipperychicken calls it cheesing at their table, then it's cheesing at that table. If I call it exceptional cleverness at my table, then it's exceptional cleverness at my table. If someone else calls it rudisplorking at their table, then it's rudisplorking at their table.

Either way, if you're the DM, you have control over situations like this. If you'd rather someone not rudisplork at your cheesing table, then let them know you don't want them to do things like that and that, for the purposes of the game, this just won't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    What the heck does "rudisplork" mean?
    Questions like that don't get you an answer, they get you Orcus!

(Just a nonsense word that was coined in the last thread. Don't remember the exact content, but it has no meaning. )

Edit: KELEDRATH! Orcus'd again.
    Last edited by Nilehus; 2014-07-14 at 08:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

So... There's a second thread devoted nigh-entirely to arguing with Jedipotter? :v
    Avatar made by the fahhhbulous Akrim.elf

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by facelessminion View Post
    So... There's a second thread devoted nigh-entirely to arguing with Jedipotter? :v
    The last one actually went off on several tangents that had nothing to do with him. This one seems to have changed it's course from arguing with him to starting a campaign with him.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, now we're trying to get him to GM two games for us so we can troll the hell out of him in one and prove him wrong in the other.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #248

SwashbucklerGuy

Speaking of, if there's room in the second campaign, I'd love to play as a Paladin. Grid posted a tweak to the class that I'd love to try, DM permitting.

I'd only be in for a couple months, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by FidgetySquirrel View Post
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by facelessminion View Post
    Here ya go. Have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Gotta say that I'm a fan of any plan that involves an ever-heightening glacier looming over all of mankind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Only cheating optimizers use dice. Real roleplayers kneel before the altar of Orcus and beg for merciful judgment.
    The Unknowable Rudisplorker, Summoner of Orcus

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Actually, now we're trying to get him to GM two games for us so we can troll the hell out of him in one and prove him wrong in the other.
    Well, admittedly you're not doing this for the most noblest of reasons, but, you're not arguing with him (as much).

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Well, admittedly you're not doing this for the most noblest of reasons, but, you're not arguing with him (as much).
    Yeah, it's mostly just Orcus jokes, and inside references, which I guess covers Orcus, as well.
    Gotta say that I'm a fan of any plan that involves an ever-heightening glacier looming over all of mankind.
    Only cheating optimizers use dice. Real roleplayers kneel before the altar of Orcus and beg for merciful judgment.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I dunno, assuming that players of spellcasters always go off and talk on the phone for twenty minutes for no apparent reason while the rest of the group is shopping as the primary reason for preventing players of spellcasters from gathering spell components seems flawed and problematic in the extreme, actually.
    The obvious solution to Jedipotter's material-component houserule is that EVERYONE plays a class with some spellcasting ability, and have the players stage a sit-down strike whenever he doesn't let them get their material components. "No, we're NOT going to the Ogre Cave without our bat guano, thankyouverymuch."
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

13. - Top - End - #253
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    The obvious solution to Jedipotter's material-component houserule is that EVERYONE plays a class with some spellcasting ability, and have the players stage a sit-down strike whenever he doesn't let them get their material components. "No, we're NOT going to the Ogre Cave without our bat guano, thankyouverymuch."
    I would think the Ogre cave would be a good place to find Bat Guano?

Especially with a ShovelVorpal Halberd user along.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

I think whoever plays the Dirt Farmer should name the character Jedidiah Potter in honor of the DM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's truly amazing how this thread constantly jumps from one topic to another, only to inevitably return to bat guano.

16. - Top - End - #256

I read about the first five pages of the first thread when it was posted, thought "well this is gonna be ugly," and didn't open it again. Seeing where it ended up going I'm honestly kind of disappointed I didn't stick around.

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Jedipotter
    So sure, bring back Bob the 1st level commoner dirt*farmer*from the ''lets start as commoners campaign''. Bob's story was that he has never been in a fight or any type of combat and has just walked from his farm to town. So Kyle, the cheating optimizer, gives Bob the feat Improved Initiative...for the sole reason to make his awesome build when he levels up. But why would non-combat Bob have that feat? Other then to cheat....
    I've decided that if I am going to do this right I should probably name my Dirt Farming Commoner "Bob Kyleson".

Now I made a few tweaks to the original background… accounting for the fact that if this commoner is going to show any ambition whatsoever later on (as he will undoubtedly become an adventurer during the course of this PbP campaign) he should probably show a little more ambition in his backstory.

Spoiler: Original Background for Reference
    Show

Dirt Farming Commoner Business Plan:
    Live in town w/ 400 homes.*
    Start w/ 20 gp from class.
    Borrow 20 gp from moneylender @ 50% interest/month.

Buy cart - 15 gp
    Buy donkey - 8 gp
    Buy 3 shovels - 6 gp

Buy feed - 1.5 gp/month
    Hire 1 skilled Laborers - 9 gp/month
    Hire 1 unskilled Laborer - 3 gp/month

Collect everyone's waste in town, for 1 sp/household/week... This = 40 gp/week, or 160 gp/ month. This task uses the untrained laborer, donkey and cart. Collecting waste from 80 homes/day.

Waste is brought to the dirt farm where I, and skilled laborer mix it with soil, to create compost through weekly craft checks, using skill Craft: Compost.

Taking a 10 on this skill, allows each of us to craft 100 sp worth of compost/week.*
    This comes out to a total of 80 gp/week. That I sell to the local farmers

Income generated in first month =240 gp
    - 30 to pay back moneylender
    - 12 to pay laborers
    - 2 for feed for the donkey
    - 26 for meals for me and my laborers
    = 170 gp profit

After the first month, I'm bringing in 200 gp/month.

My character is 24 years old. He's been "dirt farming" for 6 years now.
    He has a net worth of 14,370 gp.

I was originally going to go with an Azerblood Dwarf, but the only connection to the Earth was a resistance to bull rushing when on the ground. Instead, I am going to go with the subtle...
    EARTH DWARF

FYI, I rolled stats (4d6k3), and after racial adjustments, this is what I got:
    STR:19 DEX:11 CON:16 INT:16 WIS:13 CHA:11

If you need me to re-roll later, so be it... I just wanted to make clear this guy has the strength and constitution one would expect of a farmer, but he is also unusually intelligent, thereby supporting his ability to do the following:

Here is the Revised Background
    Spoiler: Chapter 1: The Business Plan
    Show

Bob Kylson lives just outside of a town w/ approximately 400 homes in it.*He grew up in a small shack of a house under the abuse of his dishonest father (Kyle). The Family owned land, but it was literally just a bunch of barren dirt fields.

On Bob's 18th birthday, he takes the 20 gp that come with his acceptance of his "Commoner" class status. He chooses to take that money, and borrow an additional 20 gp from a local moneylender in order to start a business. Bob will need to repay the loan @ 50% interest/month.

Bob Kylson then purchases:
    Cart - 15 gp
    Donkey - 8 gp
    3 shovels - 6 gp
    Total: 29 gp

Bob Kylson then takes on the following monthly expenses:
    Feed for the Donkey - 2 gp/month
    Hire/Pay 1 skilled Laborer (Jim) - 9 gp/month
    Hire/Pay 1 unskilled Laborer (Tim) - 3 gp/month
    Provide meals for he and his laborers 26 gp/month
    Total: 40 gp/moth

Bob Kyleson establishes a monopoly on a crucial town service that will not only increase the attractiveness of the town (both Visually and Odiferously) but also reduce the risk of th eplague and other illnesses spreading.

Bob Kyleson has agreed to collect the waste from every household and business in town, for the low cost of 1 sp per household/business per week. Bob has Tim take the donkey and cart through the town (sector by sector), collecting the waste from 80 homes / businesses per day. This generates a revenue of 40 gp/week, or 160 gp/ month. (Bob pays back the Moneylender after the first week)

Tim brings the daily haul of waste back to Bob Kylson's farm. Once there, Bob and Jim mix waste in with piles of the farm's dirt. Through daily attention, and weekly craft checks, using the skill Craft: Compost, they are able to create an average of 200 sp worth of compost per week (or 80 gp/month). Bob then sells his compost to the local farmers.

After paying all of his monthly expenses, Bob is able to make an average of 200 gp per month (or 2,400 gp per year).

Spoiler: Chapter 2: Expansion and Growth
    Show

After two years of Dirt Farming, Bob has saved up 4,761 gp. However, recently he has become smitten with a young lady named Sally. She is the daughter of one of the farmers who buys compost from Bob. She is a nice you lady who really likes Caribou. Bob asked Sally's father for permission to marry her, but Sally's father wants Bob to prove that he can provide the life that Sally truly deserves.

At age 20, Bob Kyleson decides to hire a new Unskilled Laborer (Fred). After working on the Dirt Farm for 2 years, Tim has developed some skills and is able to help Jim with the Compost Crafting. Fred is now in charge of the waste collection around town. Bob has decided he is going to travel to the 2 closest towns or similar size, and establish franchises of his Dirt Farming/Compost business. Bob purchases a light horse, saddle, saddle bags and stocks it with traveling supplies (120 gp).

When he reaches his first destination, he purchases a small cottage just outside of town (2000 gp). He then finds three of the poorest young men in town he can find. He makes the following proposition to the men. He will let them stay in the cottage rent free so long as they work for him. He will purchase their equipment (29 gp), train them, and build up the customer base. In addition to the pre-agreed upon price for meals, the three workers will be allowed to keep 10% of the profits each. They will not be given daily wages on top of this, their wages will come form the profit sharing.

This franchise will bring in 212 gp/month (adjusting for the agreed upon monthly expenses). Of that amount, each of the workers will receive 20 gp. That will leave 152 gp per month in profit. Bob will come out four times per year to check in on the operation, and to collect the profits. Bob will stay with these men for the first month, getting everything established, before moving on and repeating this process with the second town.

After the two months of setting up the franchises, Bob is down to just 1,101 gp, but by the end of that year, he has brought his total net worth up to 6,293 gp. And by the following year, he has saved up 12,340 gp. In order to ensure that Sally will be well taken care of her entire life, Bob decides to repeat the expansion process to two more towns.

Bob Kyleson is now 24 years old. He has been married to Sally for a year now. They are expecting a child in a few months. Bob invested some money into building a nicer house in town for he and his growing family (4,000 gp). He is well regarded in town. He still works on the farm every day, but now Tim is living in the old shack there. Every month, he makes a week long journey to one of the other towns where he has a dirt farm running. Bob Kyleson currently has 13,769 gp saved up, and continues to earn a total of 808 gp/month from his 5 waste management/dirt farm businesses.
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

18. - Top - End - #258

It's truly amazing how this thread constantly jumps from one topic to another, only to inevitably return to bat guano.
    It's only proper, this entire argument started out of me asking if anyone had homebrewed an economy system based on item weight rather than gold pieces, with bat guano as the example.

It began with bat guano, it goes off topic with rules and balance and annoyance and grod's law, goes from that to optimization/DMing styles, hits a cycle talking about food, then rolls back across the scale down to bat guano.

I'm beginning to suspect there's an awakened psion direbat eating and doing his business somewhere in this world, manipulating the course of these arguments based on if he has to poo, kill time, or eat.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    ...I'm beginning to suspect there's an awakened psion direbat eating and doing his business somewhere in this world, manipulating the course of these arguments based on if he has to poo, kill time, or eat.
    You caught me.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    You caught me.
    This explains an incredible amount of things.
    Currently Playing:
    -

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    You caught me.
    Quick, everyone scatter, the mods are here! Run for your lives!

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Does this mean we flee like ants or cockroaches?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

23. - Top - End - #263

SwashbucklerGuy

Quick, everyone scatter, the mods are here! Run for your lives!
    ... Has anyone ever seen Orcus and Roland in a room together?

Oh my god.
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nilehus View Post
    ... Has anyone ever seen Orcus and Roland in a room together?

Oh my god.
    Roland, I hereby request that you confirm or deny your status as Orcus in the Playground

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Roland, I hereby request that you confirm or deny your status as Orcus in the Playground
    But! I! Called! Dibs!

Orcus isn't a word, Orcus is a way of life! Seriously, if I was a mod, I'd want to be an Orcus in the Playground.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

But! I! Called! Dibs!
    Maybe you can both be Orcae in the Playground?

Peelee’s Lotsey

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'd be honored!

28. - Top - End - #268

SwashbucklerGuy

Orcus does not call 'dibs'.

Orcus takes.
    My Steam profile!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Orci, actually. Pronounced "orkey".
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    Which, in my opinion, prompts the appearance of That One Player. You know, the one who'll give his character a non-sardonic backstory and a class that has not been mentioned in this or previous thread, avoid all optimisation routes that contain even a little bit of lactose and proceed to play the game with a total focus on events and roleplaying (not to imply that other players won't roleplay their best — no Stormwind Fallacy from me — but here i'm talking about exalted roleplaying in vein of "My spells don't work as they've always had? Somebody must be interfering with the Weave, so i'd better not cast anything until i can be sure there'll be no dangerous mishaps. All my actions seem to be irrelevant and lead to a predetermined outcome? Now to go ponder destiny in a lenght…"). No provocations, and his only response to any rule arguements would be "well, the DM must be right, he's the DM and he knows better how to make it all fun".
    After all, it's not like sir Jedipotter doesn't have an extensive experience dealing with problem players; it's a problem problem player that could be a problem. And an experiment needs its control group, right?

I would gladly play the part myself but first, i don't feel qualified (too many accounts of me going on principle to make sure everyone's explicitly playing by the same rules) and second, this summer is rife with IRL business.
    I would gladly take this role.

In fact, I have a Warlock idea I've been meaning to try for a while - and she can even have her powers thanks to a pact with Orcus.

I'll name her Orca Rudisplork.

And, to nerd a little, Orcus declines differently depending on if you take the name out of the Latin or the Old English traditions.

Quick primer on cases: nominative is subjects, genitive is possession or 'of', dative and ablative are most prepositions, accusative for objects of most verbs, and vocative is like "Yo, Orcus, 'sup?" In Old English there is no ablative. English used Orc/Žyrs as translations of the Latin Orcus.

Latin would be:

Nominative singular - Orcus // plural Orci
    Genitive singular - Orci // plural Orcorum
    Dative/Ablative singular - Orco // plural Orcis
    Accusative singular - Orcum // plural Orcos
    Vocative singular - Orce // Orci

English would be:

Nominative/Accusative singular - Orc // plural Orcas (Žyrs / Žyrsas)
    Genitive singular - Orces // plural Orca (Žyrses/Žyrsa)
    Dative singular - Orce // plural Orcum (Žyrse/Žyrsum)

Žyrs would be pronounced like thürs.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2014-07-14 at 11:07 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.