New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can you Rudisplork at D&D 2: Sithsnape and the Orcus of Secret House Rules

Let me tell you the tale of dascarletm.

Long ago, during the very rise of rudisplorking, in a now dead ancient thread he caught his first glimpse of its glory. However due to the vile time commitments that occurred during the 4th of July, he fell behind; losing sight of the great and noble group that rudisplorked. He wished to find this group of honored individuals but their pace was far to fast to be reached during his lunch hours. So, for every one page he read, two more would pop up.

He toiled through the great taco mountains, and through the sea of ice cream. Until he landed upon a floating brownie. Accompanied by his only friend, Orcus. He asked the fair Orcus to summon him a raft which he could use to continue his journey. Orcus attempted, but instead summoned himself. Long did he watch as Orcus battled himself. However, a cheating optimizing pixie come forth and asked if he would like a ride, offering to shapeshift into an Orca. Dascarletm declined, instead asking if he could shift into a dire bear and help his friend Orcus in his battle against Orcus. The cheating dirty wrong optimizer agreed, but lost his mind. However, being a dire bear, the pixie wasn't aggressive. He roleplayed true and gave dascarletm a high-five.

Fearing the worst for his friend Orcus, dascarletm didn't want to waste any more campaign time and left before his impending ban from the game. He spotted a crockpot and journeyed on, turning it into a raft; luckily he survived his 50% chance of failure. He kept finding the remains of the rudisplorkers buried amongst broken logic, moved goalposts, and contradictions. He did not give up hope, he did not falter or stray from his path, except for every night at around 6 when it was his time to drink tea.

Finally he found that the rudisplorkers moved to a new thread. One that had not yet been tainted by the arguments of the past. Though he go really busy and didn't have time to get on until just now. He found that the rudisplorkers were forming a formal guild. Could he dare to join? He had not met with them before, and only ever saw them from afar. Would he come off as a stalker? Most definitely. Though he dusted off his keyboard and began typing. An application so grand that even the great Kazudo would recognize. But his computer crashed, and was forced to wait for another day.

How do I know all of this? How could I tell the tale with such great detail and accuracy? Well my friends it is because I am dascarletm and I humbly ask to rudisplork my way to greatness.
    Last edited by dascarletm; 2014-07-16 at 03:15 PM.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Can you Rudisplork at D&D 2: Sithsnape and the Orcus of Secret House Rules

I recognize dascarletm as a rudisplorker worthy of the guild.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

I can't even rudisplork, I work 6-noon. I spend the afternoons too exhausted to get through this fhtagn thread. D':
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]] As I said the first one is from dragon lance campaign setting
    I'd be fine with the rule if I was to play Dragonlance, but not in any other setting.

And Ravenloft is just silly. The whole horror idea just does not work with D&D. You can't really ''scare'' a hero in a good way. That is why the setting kinda fizzled out.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    I'd be fine with the rule if I was to play Dragonlance, but not in any other setting.

And Ravenloft is just silly. The whole horror idea just does not work with D&D. You can't really ''scare'' a hero in a good way. That is why the setting kinda fizzled out.
    Just because you can't doesn't mean it isn't possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #696
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Graypairofsocks View Post
    Jedipotter could you please respond to this earlier post of mine which was in the earlier thread(but make the response in this one):

inb4 making a reponse to a post in an earlier thread in this thread is cheating.
    Your kinda all over the place. The Artificer is a poorly made class. Making magic items in 3X is way too easy as it is, this class just goes over the top.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    What he said. Ravenloft worked very well for us and several other people I know. When you walk home at night after a session and the mist comes out of the woods and you start walking faster, you're doing Ravenloft right. When an encounter that the PCs should normally have been able to overcome easily has them running screaming from the room and even commit panic suicide, you're doing it right. If you run a game in such a way that the players run from the room, you're doing it right.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

What? Why?

With all the changes you made to forgotten realms, to the point it is no longer recognizable I didn't expect you to be against houserules.

You can, your houserules "scare" several people in a good good way. :P Either way I do can make characters and players feel fear when playing in Ravenloft. And it is one of my favorite settings.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

9. - Top - End - #699
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I always thought that Dark Sun and Ravenloft were two variants on the Killer DM/DM Hates You as Setting idea.

Dark Sun is just super lethal without a single safe place ever with constant struggle just to have basic sustenance for survival. Ravenloft has everyone constantly betraying you and turning out to be horrible monsters up until you actually react to it and then you've killed an innocent and become a monster NPC yourself.

At least according to my mostly flanderized understanding of their general conception.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    Well, I'm ready for this thing to start whenever you all are. Please make sure to PM me when the thing's actually up and running. I don't usually get on the Playground in the evening time. Too busy with my hot wife.

Of course Kazudo, King of the Sane. Creator of the Rudisplork has a hot wife. What did you expect?
    A smokin' hot wife. Or a smoking hot wife.

But that's kind of an obscure reference to something outside the purview of this board's culture, and fairly WASPy at that.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-07-16 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

I'm so bewildered. What's going on?
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I do horror just fine. Players that put time and effort into thier characters, play in great fear of them dying. It's a great way to add horror to a game. Plus all the unknowns. You most often woun't know what something is in my game. You have to guess and wonder, and let your mind think up of things. You don't get the boring, easy to file away, knowing what everything is all the time. It's scary not to know.

Plus my game s full of tons of ''not in the book'' stuff, so there is a lot of mystery and fear. And no easy fixes. So when a character gets a magical affliction, they can't just go to a temple and get a heal.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Orcus Orcus Rubisplork Orcus. I think. I also think this whole thread committed harikari with a rubber chicken
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

The whole horror idea just does not work with D&D.
    I do horror just fine.
    So what you are saying is that you don't do D&D?

14. - Top - End - #704

How long were you away? Look here and here.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irk View Post
    How long were you away? Look here and here.
    Long enough, apparently.

Great, now I feel compelled to earn another title. Avatar of PCdom is only a title of maximum awesomeness.

16. - Top - End - #706

Great, now I feel compelled to earn another title. Avatar of PCdom is only a title of maximum awesomeness.
    Just ask Threadnought

17. - Top - End - #707
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    What? Why?

With all the changes you made to forgotten realms, to the point it is no longer recognizable I didn't expect you to be against houserules.

You can, your houserules "scare" several people in a good good way. :P Either way I do can make characters and players feel fear when playing in Ravenloft. And it is one of my favorite settings.
    The Dragonlance rule is ''optional''. By default Dragonlance is normal D&D. If they wanted to to be ''like the novels'', it would not be optional. And in D&D the effects don't do much. Oh the tired wizard can run, whatever, he still casts all his spells with full effect. And even getting knocked out is a bit pointless...oh, someone just woke him up the next round.....

I'm not saying anything about the setting. It's the D&D default rules that don't do horror well. Even the optional, ''oh your character is scared'' stuff.

18. - Top - End - #708

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, the rudisplorkery is gone.

Anyway, as far as campaign settings go, I've never really felt obligated to keep them separate unless the material demands it.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irk View Post
    Just ask Threadnought
    Seems the rudisplorking thread has been closed. D:

Might as well try it here...

High Rudisplorker Threadnaught, founder of the Rudisplorkers' Guild
    , I beseech entry into thy guild and a title!
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-16 at 04:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #710

Why did friendly banter get locked? I thought that was the place for random discussion
    4/10/2013 is this first day I used blue text. Isn't that soooo cool
    Quirble muffins - with credit to Xervous and myself. Now with 50 cent royalties
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

The Dragonlance rule is ''optional''. By default Dragonlance is normal D&D. If they wanted to to be ''like the novels'', it would not be optional. And in D&D the effects don't do much. Oh the tired wizard can run, whatever, he still casts all his spells with full effect. And even getting knocked out is a bit pointless...oh, someone just woke him up the next round.....
    unconscious

I'm not saying anything about the setting. It's the D&D default rules that don't do horror well. Even the optional, ''oh your character is scared'' stuff.
    So... you don't do D&D?

22. - Top - End - #712

WolfInSheepsClothing

Who knows. This thread will be good enough until it goes the way of the Rudisplorkery as well.

23. - Top - End - #713

If we get a third thread going, I'll be strictly giddy
    4/10/2013 is this first day I used blue text. Isn't that soooo cool
    Quirble muffins - with credit to Xervous and myself. Now with 50 cent royalties
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ettin in the Playground

Can we refer to that thread as the third? That will make me giddy. And confuse me.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

This has split into four different threads now. This is something amazing, that shall be remembered for ages beyond time, dedicated to the ancient tomes of the wiki, held in the sacred Thread Hold, studiously kept by a legion of scholars and sages. It will be viewed in it's split complexity by acolytes learning the deep history of these forums in hundreds years hence, this I declare. The understanding of Rudisplorking will be passed along the lines to new generations of Rudisplorkers, heroes of a new age. The Guild will grow, and be remembered for it's heroism and groundbreaking invention of the art and science of rudisplorking. The understanding of Orcus and Storm Bird will be made commonplace, their names known to all. Summoners will summon Orci, experimenting to make more orci at a time. The future, my dear friends, is bright for Rudisplorking.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow, I went away for a day and the thread gained another 15 pages and TWO MORE THREADS!
    Whoever is generating all these posts so quickly is an optimizing rudisplorker.

27. - Top - End - #717

I posted this to the recruiting tbread, but i felt i should post it here to.

Threadnaught, there is a major flaw in the grand plan. In his normal games, Jedi can boot people as he see's fit if he feels they are problem players that got past his initial smokescreen. Here, you are admitting to him openly, and testifying for all, that anyone participating in this campaign is and will proceed to act like said problem player. He should be well within his right to act on said knowledge, and this game would never take place (but none of us want that). So what is proven?

Think about what our motivation is for playing this game? Is it because we are all munchkiny (rudisplorking) cheating problem players (no! We hate those) who just like wrecking people's fun? OR Is it just that we were offended by things said many many pages ago, and are filled with righteous indignation and just want to prove a point any way possible even if we are nit sure exactly what that point is?

Would we typically subject ourselves to Jedi's houserules? No - we have all said so much.
    We do not think of ourselves as problem players though. So weather we play or not, it proves nothing.
    Jedi might think of us all as problem players, but we have all admitted we wouldn't typically subject ourselves to his rules. Again, that proves nothing.

We play a game where everyone tries to be a jerk to one another, and yet the dm can't boot people for their actions... That's such a contrived situation, it may be the biggest straw man the Cheating threads have seen thus far (and that's saying something, cause Jedipotter posted a ton of them). And it proves NOTHING.

Honestly, on this one, I'm going to agree with jedipotter- I plan to just play for fun.

If I can't have fun under his rules than I can pat myself on the back and say "you were right oddman80, those rules and dm style were inhibitors of fun. At least you gave him a chance to prove otherwise"

And if I do have fun, and the rules stop feeling like a prick in my side, and possibly do make things pretty cool... I'm not so proud that I can't admit that. And I'll be the first to start the I APOLOGIZE TO JEDIPOTTER thread.
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Are you kidding? There are so many flaws in this plan its not even funny.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

29. - Top - End - #719

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Are you kidding? There are so many flaws in this plan its not even funny.
    Sorry. Might not have been clear. The "major flaw" to which I was referring was that the plan made no actual sense. At least to me it doesn't. I still want to, an play the game, though. But only for the reasons I mentioned there at the end.

I'm going to try to restrict my build to what has been portrayed by Jedipotter as 'the right way' - taking feats that make sense story-wise, and not just taking whatever feats I wish my guy could have (I like having combat reflexes early on, but it would make no sense for my dirt farmer to have that feat). I am both eager and curious to see how it goes.,
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

30. - Top - End - #720

Your kinda all over the place.
    How am I all over the place, you are telling me that I am, but not in what way.
    The Artificer is a poorly made class.
    How is it a poorly made class.
    Do you think it was a more poorly made class than monk?
    And again you are just stating something instead of stating why.

Making magic items in 3X is way too easy as it is, this class just goes over the top.
    How is it too easy.
    Yet again you state something with out telling me why.

Please provide more in-depth explanation.