Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Can you Rudisplork at D&D 2: Sithsnape and the Orcus of Secret House Rules

Quote Originally Posted by kellbyb View Post
    The feats are for crafting mundane items.

So, do we just rudisplork an arbitrary soul value for each item?
    I believe the Frank and K have rules for Souls as currency for anything over the gp limit of Wish.

I approve of the continuation of the Crafter feats, but I feel like the skill ranks should be 9 and 24, to correspond with the epic levels either in E6 or standard. Of course Rudisplorkers can ruidisplork their way with the Favored in Guild line to get those early. Requires DCFS at level 20 though. I rudisplork of this rudisploitation.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2014-07-17 at 01:47 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Can you Rudisplork at D&D 2: Sithsnape and the Orcus of Secret House Rules

Actually, BOVD also has rules for the value of souls. IIRC, they can be used to save you 25 XP when crafting. And considering the normal 1xp=2gp ratio, that means a soul is worth a meagre 50 gp. So good news: your soul has a market value! On the downside, it's less than a good suit of platemail.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Actually, BOVD also has rules for the value of souls. IIRC, they can be used to save you 25 XP when crafting. And considering the normal 1xp=2gp ratio, that means a soul is worth a meagre 50 gp. So good news: your soul has a market value! On the downside, it's less than a good suit of platemail.
    You might be better off having yourself skinned for armor.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Bugbear in the Playground

You might be better off having yourself skinned for armor.
    That sounds painful... but that's okay because you saved money!
    4/10/2013 is this first day I used blue text. Isn't that soooo cool
    Quirble muffins - with credit to Xervous and myself. Now with 50 cent royalties
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

5. - Top - End - #785
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post

But any of our "judges" who will be monitoring the thread for evidence for or against Jedipotter's claims that his houserules:

1. Maintain levels of fun similar to the primary game
    2. Mute or rid a group of a "problem player"
    3. Doesn't get rid of perfectly good players

need to know every last one of the houserules so we know what we're monitoring for.
    1.Of course ''fun'' is subjective. And people can lie about having fun. And people can sit back and choose not to have fun.

2.I know this works. And, after all, many have said they would not play in a game with my house rules, proves that it works. But no one wants to be called a problem player......but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

3.Well, I'd say a good player is the type that says ''I don't like that house rule''.....but then just plays anyway.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ddude987 View Post
    That sounds painful... but that's okay because you saved money!
    I'll remember this if I ever need to make a suit of armor and the only resources I have are the other rudisplorckers.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do we have an in-game thread yet?

8. - Top - End - #788
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    2.I know this works. And, after all, many have said they would not play in a game with my house rules, proves that it works. But no one wants to be called a problem player......but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

3.Well, I'd say a good player is the type that says ''I don't like that house rule''.....but then just plays anyway.
    And here's another fallacy to add to the list.

Congratulations! You've almost completed your collection!
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

9. - Top - End - #789

WolfInSheepsClothing

1.Of course ''fun'' is subjective. And people can lie about having fun. And people can sit back and choose not to have fun.

So what you're telling me is that we just have to take your word that it works even though everything we've said and seen would say to the contrary?

To refute:

1. Fun IS subjective. People can lie about the fact that they're not having fun. People can just sit up and choose to have fun.

2. You know this works based on what one group of people has said and don't want to listen to what another has to say. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it might be a goose. Just saying.

3. Or they say "I don't like that house rule" and decide not to play because they don't want to interrupt the group.

Point being, there are a lot of definitions at stake. Making this not a competition but a learning exercise for ALL parties is the best way to make this work.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Colossus in the Playground

You realize that begging the question (in this instance, defining "problem player" as "one who won't play in a game with my house rules" and declaring, "My house rules have a 100% chance of keeping away all and only problem players") is a logical fallacy, right?

(Oh I forgot. Logic is bad.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    You realize that begging the question (in this instance, defining "problem player" as "one who won't play in a game with my house rules" and declaring, "My house rules have a 100% chance of keeping away all and only problem players") is a logical fallacy, right?

yes, get out of here you cheater.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #792
    Orc in the Playground

Isn't it irrelevent to bring up logical fallacies to someone who claims not to believe in logic?
    I has Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #793

Quote Originally Posted by Ariko View Post
    Isn't it irrelevent to bring up logical fallacies to someone who claims not to believe in logic?
    Did JP say that directly? I know its implied, but...
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Did JP say that directly? I know its implied, but...
    He said logic has no place in the real world, and answers any question about that with non-sequitors referencing Doctor Who.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #795

Thanks! Guess I need to pay closer attention

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    yes, get out of here you cheater.
    So, using logic makes you a rudisplorker?

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #797

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    So, using logic makes you a rudisplorker?
    It may, it may not. One thing is certain. Asking questions makes you a rudisplorker

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It may, it may not. One thing is certain. Asking questions makes you a rudisplorker
    Wow, that makes me a rudisplorker!

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a rudisplorcker because I keep having to ask what is going on.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a rudisplorcker because I keep having to ask what is going on.

Rudisporking: Being able to admit you have no idea what the heck is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

21. - Top - End - #801

I think rudisplorking has a lot of definitions. I propose we make a root word, rudisp, which stands for being the "cause of, specifically related to role playing games" A rudisplorker can be a cheater or problem player. Rudisplorking - to not know what is going on. Heck, we clearly need to play the rudisp~ dictionary.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

But does it float like a duck?

Corollary 1 to jedipotter's houserules: Problem players act like ducks and quack like ducks, therefore are ducks. Ducks do not want to play in a game with his house rules, therefore none of his players are ducks. Ducks float in water, but since none of his players are ducks, they do not float in water. What else doesn't float in water? Rocks. People with rocks for brains will not float in water, but will play with jedipotter's houserules.

Corollary 2 to jedipotter's houserules: I personally do not allow problem players in my games. Jedipotter has never played one of my games. Therefore, jedipotter is a problem player. His own houserules mean he will not play in his own games, therefore jedipotter has never actually run a game, and has no players.

It all makes sense now because logic doesn't matter!
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

23. - Top - End - #803

I feel like you are strawmanning JP with those arguments Pru

24. - Top - End - #804
    Banned

MonkGuy

Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

I do declare: My house rules do keep away most problem players and control the ones that do show up to game. That is one third of the reasons of my house rules(the others being balance and fun).

Now I should define a problem player. A problem player is a person, who simply put will cause a problem. More to the point, they will cause a problem to disrupt the game. For example:

*They don't show up to have fun playing a group game. They show up just to play the build they made with the express reason of rubbing it in other players faces. They want an audience to see how great of an optimizer they are and they want to make fun of and belittle others.

*They don't show up to have fun in a group game. They want to play a solo game with the DM and have an audience.

*They want to game and have fun at the expense of others. For them, having fun, is making others miserable.

*They are a social leech. They don't want to play the game at all, but they don't want to sit home bored and alone. So they show up. Though they do little but take up a seat. Girl friends /wives often fall into this spot: where they must stay with their guy 24/7, and it won't be long before they disrupt the game with ''oh we really need to go and look at floor tiles 'right now' '', like a hour or so in the game.

*They are a rules lawyer, of the worst sort: they want to ruin the game for everyone and ''always be right''. The type that will ''demand'' to know everything about the game to ''keep the DM in check''. And should he find a single plus that he can't explain, he will rant and rave and ruin the game for everyone.

*The casual gamer. Whatever, man. They just like show up. They sort of remember that you roll a d20, but are mostly just take up a seat.

*The busy gamer. Wow, there life is so busy and exciting that they don't even have time to breathe. Why they get like ten texts a minute. And even with their busy life, they show up to game....sort off. They might play for a couple minutes, but soon enough...often right before something exciting happens in the game they ''must'' take a call or ''must go me Jarmar at the Cricle-K'' or ''must go read thier kid a bed time story''

*The pure Hack and Slasher. They just want to kill, loot and repeat. To them D&D is a pure combat game.

My house rules block all the above types(and more). Take using spell components: The casual and busy won't want to keep track of them. And it ''ruins'' the first ones spellcaster build. The god looking over your shoulder stops the hack and slasher, they can't just ''pick a cool domain and kill, kill, kill.'' It also stops the casual and busy gamer. And it has the rules lawyer not play a divine spellcaster. All the spell fixes block a lot of the common tricks that the first three jerks will do. All the randomness stops the rules lawyer: he can't complain if he does not know the rules. The no free knowledge stops the rules lawyer and casual and busy gamer....and the first three jerks too.

Lost of the house rules focus on spellscasting, as it is both popular and powerful. Few problem player people playing monks or rangers can make problems in the game. Now, a average or good player might not like a house rule, but that won't stop them from playing. If they don't like the divine rule...then they won't be a divine caster. Only a problem player 'must' be a class or 'must' have an ability or spell or whatever to have 'fun'. A normal or good player might want to be a cleric, but they don't 'have to be' one.

And just in case they are sneaky, my house rule of ''the DM decides what happens'' is the final check.

25. - Top - End - #805

HalflingPirate

Maybe, but JP has acknowledged that he wouldn't play under himself as a GM, because of the houserules. He's also stated that his houserules only prevent problem players from joining his game (because not-problem players have no problems with his houserules). The implications are there.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Can I sig this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Can I sig this?
    Oooh me too!
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #808

HalflingPirate

If fallacy only has the one around, I don't think it's very nice to be throwing it. Seems kind of bullyish.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #809

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    If fallacy only has the one around, I don't think it's very nice to be throwing it. Seems kind of bullyish.
    But I took "throw anything" and rudisplorked in a few levels of Hulking Hurler just so that I COULD throw fallacy's only around.

HOW AM I BULLYING IF I'M JUST USING MY CLASS FEATURES.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter
    O-kay...

I do declare: My house rules do keep away most problem players and control the ones that do show up to game. That is one third of the reasons of my house rules(the others being balance and fun).
    I can keep problem players away, too. I can tell them to leave. No draconian houserules necessary.

*They don't show up to have fun playing a group game. They show up just to play the build they made with the express reason of rubbing it in other players faces. They want an audience to see how great of an optimizer they are and they want to make fun of and belittle others.
    I think you're attributing malice where there probably isn't any. A player who isn't aware of the groups power level will show up with a powerful character. It's easier to reduce a character's power than to increase it after creation.

*They don't show up to have fun in a group game. They want to play a solo game with the DM and have an audience.
    This requires houserules?

*They want to game and have fun at the expense of others. For them, having fun, is making others miserable.
    No amount of houseruling will keep a sociopath from making others miserable. Get rid of them ASAP.
    *They are a social leech. They don't want to play the game at all, but they don't want to sit home bored and alone. So they show up. Though they do little but take up a seat. Girl friends /wives often fall into this spot: where they must stay with their guy 24/7, and it won't be long before they disrupt the game with ''oh we really need to go and look at floor tiles 'right now' '', like a hour or so in the game.
    I've seen my fair share of DM/player girlfriends, and this has never happened to me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, though. Don't houserule the game into oblivion because of uninterested players. OOC is the way to go, even if it ends in a kick or two.
    *They are a rules lawyer, of the worst sort: they want to ruin the game for everyone and ''always be right''. The type that will ''demand'' to know everything about the game to ''keep the DM in check''. And should he find a single plus that he can't explain, he will rant and rave and ruin the game for everyone.
    And when the rules lawyer figures out your houserules? You'll do what you should have done in the first place, I'll bet. You're the DM, unless they want to do something that you clearly allow, you don't have to listen. If they persist, they likely are a problem player, and should be dealt with.

*The casual gamer. Whatever, man. They just like show up. They sort of remember that you roll a d20, but are mostly just take up a seat.
    Always make sure your players understand the game. If they can't be bothered to learn it, then get rid of them. I recall you saying in the first thread that you liked people who didn't know the rules, though.

*The busy gamer. Wow, there life is so busy and exciting that they don't even have time to breathe. Why they get like ten texts a minute. And even with their busy life, they show up to game....sort off. They might play for a couple minutes, but soon enough...often right before something exciting happens in the game they ''must'' take a call or ''must go me Jarmar at the Cricle-K'' or ''must go read thier kid a bed time story''
    Any player who does this more than a couple of times should be kicked. Again, this doesn't require houserules.

*The pure Hack and Slasher. They just want to kill, loot and repeat. To them D&D is a pure combat game.
    Most players enjoy role-play. Admittedly, these sorts of players exist. Trying to nudge them into role-play can be quite rewarding, though, for you and the player. A warning that your campaign will be role-play heavy will keep such people away better than houserules, though.

My house rules block all the above types(and more)
    Yup, but as I said, it's an unnecessary overreaction. You could do more with less, like WORDS.

All the randomness stops the rules lawyer: he can't complain if he does not know the rules.
    As I said, given time, the rules lawyer will learn the rules, then you'll have to deal with vim just like the rest of us. Or you could arbitrarily change rules to keep vim on vis toes. Whatever.

If they don't like the divine rule...then they won't be a divine caster. Only a problem player 'must' be a class or 'must' have an ability or spell or whatever to have 'fun'. A normal or good player might want to be a cleric, but they don't 'have to be' one.
    What about the good player who's never been a cleric before, but has done most of the other classes more than once? This can happen. Maybe they just 'have' to be a cleric because it's truly the class they have the itch to play. What about a player who devised a backstory before you divulged the secret houserules? This player loves the character and backstory that ve spent days working out. The numerical stuff is an after-thought for vim. There's no intention of playing a cleric for power's sake. The class fit the concept best, and this player LOVES the concept. You might have just chased away a great role-player who doesn't give a squat about roll-play. Good job.

And just in case they are sneaky, my house rule of ''the DM decides what happens'' is the final check.
    So... Orcus?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Gotta say that I'm a fan of any plan that involves an ever-heightening glacier looming over all of mankind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Only cheating optimizers use dice. Real roleplayers kneel before the altar of Orcus and beg for merciful judgment.
    The Unknowable Rudisplorker, Summoner of Orcus