A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Random Plots and Places 9: What a crazy, random happenstance!

Vulpine Outpost

At the shout, Caravan looks around. She recognizes that voice, and... "Ebony, get away from there, I'm moving the dragon again."

Ebony does that, and the dragon gets imploded through a portal again. Ebony, if not stopped, will go over near Caravan and Verise.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [La Fontaine]

Katrina nods again

It's something else, isn't it?

The song finishes and the band sets their instruments down

They always have an intermission here. The bigger acts complain a bit because they'd rather just get done, but the smaller ones love the chance to rest a while and sell some merchandise. Personally, I think they perform better when they get a break.
    [La Fontaine]

'Having a rest seems sensible. I mean, the guy on drums was really going at it.' Urias smiles. Of all the musicians, the drummer was the one he was watching closest.

'What sort of things do they sell?'
    Last edited by Baeleck; 2014-09-30 at 09:43 AM.
    Active Nexus Characters: Urias Starsailor

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Pixie in the Playground

(( Vulpine Outpost needs to wait just a bit - Serious Plots needs another round or two to finish up ))

[La Fontaine]

Katrina nods

It's amazing how fast they can play the drums! My arms would fall right off I tried to keep that up even as long as they do. There's this Equestrian band Stratocumulus that plays here sometimes, and they're even faster yet.

Then she gestures to a table set up way off to one side

The usual stuff: posters, tour books, T-shirts, lunchboxes, cd's, dvd's, shot glasses, keychains...

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Troll in the Playground

Grief

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Grief

As they run, a glance back will tell them that they're still being followed, but every once in a while, one or two of the Jackals simply vanishes from their path, bits of fur and blood all that's left behind. Whatever else is out here, it's fast, silent, and more than a little deadly. Perhaps because of the creature the party isn't successfully attacked from behind, nor is there any sign of one of the beasts ahead of them. After what seems to be a lifetime of running, they find their way out of the columns and to a cliff edge that hangs over a rather large chasm. There's a small bridge leading to the other side, wide enough for two people or three if they squeeze tight. It sees quite long though and it is exposed, but it's the only way across.

There's also a large white bundle on the ground on the other side, but it's too far away to see what it is just yet.
    "Cat... you scout ahead. I'll cross behind you," Wes says. His voice is calm, if a little odd. A switch has been flipped in his head, convincing him he's in a nightmare, and he's in that curiously detached feeling that one gets sometimes in dreams.

If Needs goes on ahead, Wes will follow, holding the handrail, but crossing the bridge backwards, facing and shining the light back the way they came to light the path for The Mother.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Dwarf in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

'A serious feat of endurance, for sure,' Urias agrees. Even as someone who kept himself fit and trained every day, he figures he'd be exhausted about half way through those first songs.

He takes a sip of his now mostly-empty drink.

'I'm going to go have a quick look, then,' he says, nodding to the merch stand.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Granite City]

When even your 'innocuous cover story' sounds pretty evil, you know that something awful is going down.

Anywho! Timeskip time to get the timelines in time with each other in a timely matter.

Chronology!

The next day, no doubt after some cognitive testing or some such, the lab gets a call from Fortuna! Or more specifically Fortuna will call for Jace and Zebes. She'll inform her friends that she found the Kells and that the Kells are just fine. Then she'll explain what they found out about the Gloom Stones from personal experience and research on the Internets. Finally, she'll describe where they need to go in order to reach the diffuse bridge that leads back to the Nexus from the Iwa region.

"So that's basically everything," Fortuna explains over the phone. "I think we should stay here and try doing something about Team Helmet instead of rushing back home. We did plan for an adventure vacation, we just weren't expecting to be flung right into the middle of it by a chance meeting with a bunch of Team Helmet goons."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Pixie in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

Katrina finishes her drink

Ok. Want a refill for the second half? Or something different?

It's band merchandise. Not much more to say, really

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

"Well, the guy in Inside said the machine made pokemon easy to control, so maybe they're hoping to infect enough pokemon for them to have some serious firepower. But the Stones don't seem to make them easy to control. Maybe they're prototypes? Or the Helmets have an ace up their sleeve. They've definitely got some sinister motives in all of this.
    So, you want us to meet up? I can bring Prof. Iris' science bands for everyone. A chip would probably be safer since you can't rip those off but that's not really an option. She can probably get us lots of supplies if it means taking down the Helmets, so ask now."
    Jace Sounds into the phone.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Dwarf in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

'A refill sounds great!' Urias says, as he stands. 'I've decided I quite like that drink.'

And off he potters to the table in the corner.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Pixie in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

Katrina smiles and nods

Great! I'll go get them.

And she heads up to the bar to get the drinks.

Over at the merchandise counter, the various items are all arranged in neat rows on the tables. There's a bit of a crowd, and the t-shirts are already a little disorganized from people looking for their size. The bass player is here and signing things for people, but none of the rest of the band has come over.

11. - Top - End - #1301

[Granite City]

"If the bands can keep us from being caught, then by all means. In case things get really bad, I'll have my Teleport anchored at a nearby PokeCenter, that way if things go pear-shaped we can bail in a hurry and get healed up," Fortuna replies over the phone. "It sounds like the Kells would rather just head back home, so we do have that option if you guys don't want to try kicking Team Helmet over."

A beat.

"Or I guess we could try taking them back and then return? I dunno, that would give the Helmets more time to keep doing... whatever they're doing."

And whatever they're doing is no good!

Probably no neutral, either.

"Either way, see if you can't get some potions from Professor Iris and meet us in Limestone Town at the PokeCenter. I'm sure Zebes' flight will get him here a lot faster thank walking."

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Dwarf in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

Uh-oh. Crowds. Urias becomes a little hesitant as he moves closer, but manages to slowly move along to the side of the table and avoid the worst of the crush. Once he's able, he'll pick out and pay for a pair of wristbands, with the band logo on. His current white sweatbands that he used for training were quite worn and needed replacing, plus they would be a nice reminder of a (so far) enjoyable evening.

He'd like to get Katrina something as well, but there's a couple of problems. He's not sure what she'd like, and even if he was, she'd seen this band plenty times before, from the sound of it - so she'd probably own it already.

'Excuse me! Uhm, what here is new?' He'll ask whoever is manning the stall.
    Last edited by Baeleck; 2014-09-30 at 12:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

"Well, if it's that important I could probably take them back to stay safe with the Professor for a day or two while we assault Team Helmet. Either way, we'll discuss it when we meet up."
    Hang up!

And then they go to find the Professor and ask for a goody bag.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Palace of Orochi]

Frederick wakes up with Helen wrapped around him, and he mmmms happily

Hey, sweetie.
    Helen smiles and nuzzles Frederick as she says, "Good morning, honey."

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Pixie in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

Woo hoo! Wristbands are acquired!

He gets the attention of an attendant

Well... all the tour stuff is new: we don't play the same place more than once. Otherwise... um... the windbreakers over there are new. And the school supplies on the far end are too - the folders, pencils, pencil pouches, and spiral notebooks.

Then he dives under the table

Oh, man... I forgot to set these out. We have these silver-plated roses, too... you know, "Silverthorn".

[Palace of Orochi]

Frederick grins

Ready to start the real training?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-09-30 at 01:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen smiles and nuzzles Frederick as she says, "I'm ready if you are."

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Dwarf in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

The school supplies receive a dubious look, but as soon as the roses are mentioned, Urias's face lights up.

'Silver roses, huh? Yeah, I'll take one.'
    Last edited by Baeleck; 2014-09-30 at 01:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1308

Post Re: Random Plots and Places 9: What a crazy, random happenstance!

[Granite City]

Professor Iris won't be particularly hard to find. She's reviewing some results of the Zapdos' cognitive tests. "Hello there, boys," she says as they approach. "How can I help you?"

A goody bag, probably.

And sending any more information she gets on Team Helmet?

Those would be good things. Maybe see if she has any TMs they can use?

[Limestone Town]

Fortuna gives a little nod and ends the call. "Alright. Jace and Zebes will get ready and meet us here as fast as they can," Fortuna says. "And considering how fast a Dragonite can fly, that shouldn't take too long."

Despite being kind of pudgy, Dragonites are absurdly fast.

"It sounds like they want to help take down Team Helmet, too. So we definitely won't be going straight home," Fortuna explains. "I think it might be a good idea to do some training before they arrive so you two are combat ready. What do you two think?"

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Dwarf in the Playground

Limestone Town

"<I really should practice.>"

"<Have you ever looked at a Kirlia's moveset? Combat readiness and doesn't even live on the same block as I do.>" Kellia frowns. She thinks she has a few nonstandard moves, but still.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Frederick stretches and gets up to get dressed.

Guess we just ring the bell to call one of the servants. I wonder what time it is... or if that even means anything here.

[La Fontaine]

One silver-plated rose (well... the stem with three leaves and three thorns is): it's about 6 inches long overall, and the flower has that oddly shiny anodized aluminum look to it.

Katrina is back at the table with the new drinks

21. - Top - End - #1311

[Limestone Town]

"Hey, if it comes down to a Struggle, you still need to know how to fight," Fortuna replies. "I can try to Move Tutor you something, maybe? We don't have any TMs on hand, but I might be able to teach you how to use Psychic or Psyshock?"

It's worth a shot if nothing else?

"Come on, let's head up to one of the private battle rooms on the second floor. We'll be able to practice without being interrupted there. If nothing else, you can get better at using Shadow Ball. That's a pretty powerful attack. And versatile if you get creative with it."

Since, y'know, this is FFRP. Moves are much more flexible!

Use stunts and stuff!

It's cool!

Fortuna gathers up Henry and Trapinch, who is gladly snoozing now rather than trying to bite everything. "Thanks for helping us, mister Armstrong."

"There is no need to thank me for carrying on the sacred duty to all pokemon and pokemon trainers passed down the Armstrong family line FOR GENERATIONS!" the Nurse bellows back, flexing and sparkling for all the Center to see.

The Totally-Not-A-Mew giggles at the display before heading up to one of the battle rooms.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Dwarf in the Playground

Limestone Town

"<Sure, let's go.>" And the group will head upstairs!

23. - Top - End - #1313

[Limestone Town]

Once the door to the private battle room is closed Fortuna likewise closes the observation window so they can have some privacy. Like... real privacy. Because then she can return to her natural shape! The human pixilates and blurs before re-resolving into a little floating Mew! Or rather, a normal sized Mew. She might be a little larger than average, but not by much.

<Alright! I want you to start with what you do know,>
    Fortuna says as she begins layering concentric shells of barriers and psionic fields around herself. She's going to be tanking some hits for the team! <I want you to blast me as hard as you can. Don't worry about hitting me too severely. With six layers of protection running I'll be able to shrug it off.>

Three uses of Barrier and Amnesia later, the Mew is ready to go!

<Alright! I'm all warded up. Let's see what you girls can do.>

<Go Kellia! Go Kellform!> Henry cheers from the sidelines, flopping back in forth in a display of Splashing that few Magikarp could ever hope to match. <You guys kick Forte right in her fuzzy pink butt!>

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

We're going to go meet up with our friends, and we might see if we can't do something about Team Helmet. Can you offer some supplies? Maybe some potions, ethers? Hrm...? Oh, and maybe a TM if you've got one that works for psychic or normal types. The Kells aren't very combat-ready. Oh, and we'll call if we find anything new. Feel free to do the same. Jace says to the Professor.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Limestone Town

"<You can go first,>" Kellform tells Kellia, "<I think I need a bit to figure out what my hardest hit is.>"

Kellia nods, conjures a shadow ball, and hurls it at Fortuna. It's not an unusual shadow ball. "<That's the strongest thing I know right now. I know a grand total of three other damaging moves.>"
    Last edited by Lost_Deep; 2014-09-30 at 02:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1316

[Granite City]

The Professor gives her head a little nod. "Potions I can supply easily enough, but I'm afraid the only TM I have on hand is TM 99, Dazzling Gleam," she explains. "Your Mew friend would be able to learn that, I'm sure. But I don't have any others."

Seriously?

She just happens to have a TM for a Fairy type move?

That's pretty helpful, actually!

They could arm Kellia with that thing! Now she won't have to wait for level bazillion to get Moonblast!

A bag of potions of various kinds is gathered, along with several SCIENCE! bands and the TM.

"I'll call Fortuna with anything else I find out about Team Helmet or the Gloom Stones."

[Limestone Town]

The orb of swirling darkness passes through the Mew's reactive psionic fields, each one sapping away a sizable chunk of the attack's power until a rather pitiful looking shadow ball finally collides with Fortuna's fuzzy pink belly. She gives a grunt of discomfort at the super-effective, ghostly attack, but she doesn't seem too terribly harmed. True to her word, her wards ate most of the attack's oomph.

<Well! That isn't bad at all, Kellia,>
    Fortuna says with a bright smile. <If not for a few castings of Amnesia, that attack would have really knocked me for a loop! That's a pretty strong ghost attack, and ghost attacks work at least decently on a huge range of pokemon. Now, let's switch things up a little.>

Fortuna holds up her paws, forms a little baton of psionic energy between them, and then tosses the glowing construct to Kellia. Her wards, weirdly enough, will be passed along with it.

<I'm going to blast you with Psychic a few times,> Fortuna announces. <I want you to try to hold onto the sensation of what the attack feels like in your mind. After I've used a few times, try your best to use it back on me.>

She'll wait for Kellia to pick up the baton before focusing her mind and fixing her gaze on her friend, reaching out with smothering mental power to try to crush her psyche. Fortuna isn't putting her all into the attack and between Kellia's innate mental resistance and the psionic dampening field it should be blunted significantly.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Dwarf in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

Urias thanks the merch man and heads back to the table. The sweatbands are stowed in his pocket, though the flower is too fragile for pocket storage, he figures.

He sits, slipping the rose onto the table with a single, smooth motion. 'I, uh... I got you a thing.'

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Limestone Town

Kellia frowns when she feels the attack. It doesn't do anything notable. "<That's unpleasant. Ew.>" Kellia shakes her head. "<I'm not sure I want to do that. Blasting people is one thing, squoosing them is something else...>"

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

Jace nods.
    "That'll work. Thanks so much, Professor!" Sounds Jace.
    The two walk out the door, give a little wave, and take off!
    ....it's probably best to handwave that there was a map in that package. We all know how those two got to the Nexus in the first place....

30. - Top - End - #1320

[Granite City ==> To the Skies!]

A map, certainly. Hopefully the wind doesn't snatch it out of Zebes' stubby little dragon fingers, though.

That would be tragic!

[Limestone Town]

Fortuna gives a little nod. <I can understand being hesitant. Attacking someone's mind even strikes a lot of psychic type pokemon as kind of unpleasant. But I think it's really useful since it lets me incapacitate a foe without causing any physical damage. If you aren't comfortable with it, though, I have another option for you. Psyshock!>

And with that she manifests a field of purplish telekinetic power and smashes it into the barriers around Kellia! The barriers will, once again, absorb most of the force, but it still might bop her hard enough to knock her on her butt. This attack isn't mental in the least, simply a burst of raw kinetic force.

Kapower!