Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default {OOC} From the Dark

Okay, so maybe half a month past schedule is unacceptable by my standards, but y'all can deal with it since I haven't had a computer to use. And sort of still don't, but whatevs.

Player Character Class Race Concept Color
    Diful Takveh Simon Rensley Wizard (Necromancer) Human What? Necromancers aren't ALWAYS evil! Dark Green
    RaggedAngel Fix Artificer Warforged You like it? I'll make you one Navy
    Crinias Maria Solyenov Warblade Human Maybe murder isn't the best solution. Indigo
    OMG PONIES Dr. Phinneas Kessler Archivist Gnome Magic? Shmagic! Any old gray?
    King Tius Thianin Psychic Warrior Elf Valenar Elf with something on his mind Goldenrod
    Thanks, Tius, for the table. If anything's wrong, blame him. Also tell me so I can update it. Y'know, little things, like Fix's and Phinneas' sheets

Spoiler: Character Creation Parameters
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Eberron setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    You know who you are.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Here.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    1st level. Ten XP for item creation (well, I guess that means scroll scribing and nothing else at first level, but still), with the creation costs taken from your starting wealth. Unused XP is lost. Why yes, I am suggesting that preparation and foresight will be important, good of you to notice

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Roll your starting wealth by your class. Classes with unlisted starting wealth use the higher of whatever they're most similar to; a swashbuckler, for example, is a roguelike fighter with no listed starting gold, so you would take the fighter's 6d4x10 value.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    An archivist or wizard (or both!) would be great, and a duskblade who focuses on intellectual skills wouldn't go amiss. There's nothing that particularly doesn't fit, either, though; a druid would be just as wonderful to have as an archivist, and I won't lose any sleep if nobody really feels like playing one of those classes.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Anything, within reason. As one of the devs said, "if it's got a place in D&D, it's got a place in Eberron." I don't like homebrewed races, though.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2E PHB
    Method VI:[...] Each ability starts with a score of 8. Then roll seven dice [7d6]. These dice can be added to your character's abilities as you wish. All the points on a die must be added to the same ability score. For example, if a 6 is rolled on one die, all 6 points must be assigned to one ability. You can add as many dice as you wish to any ability, but no ability score can exceed 18 points. If you cannot make an 18 by exact count on the dice, you cannot have an 18 score.
    Obviously this applies before racial modifiers, so you can, in fact, have a final score of higher than 18.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Oh yes, the game does use alignment. I prefer no evil characters, but I won't make a rule of it.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multiclassing is totally legit. Favored classes will also be a thing, but in a different way than normal because I'm a woman of science and know that rewards are superior to punishments in pretty much all ways. Instead of normal favored class rules, for every class level in your race's favored class you have the option of gaining either one additional HP or one additional skill point.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Yes. You roll your dice on the forum roller, and I'll be assuming a roll of 13 for knowledge checks to make things smoother (though for feats, class features, or spells that require knowledge checks, you still need to roll the check to determine effects).

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    1. A recently injured creature can receive a special "first aid" heal check that restores one fifth of the check's result in HP. You can take ten on this check, but not 20. Once a check has been made, the creature can't benefit from another until they've sustained another bout of injuries.
    2. The spells in PHB, Spell Compendium, Completes, etc. are not the end-all spell knowledge. NPC wizards or archivists will probably have a few novel spells in their spellbooks, and they can probably be persuaded to let them be copied. I'm totally going to allow custom spell creation, too.
    3. All NPCs and monsters play by the same rules you do.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    You're first level, but you're also the main characters so you've got a right for what history you've had to be more interesting than a peasant commoner's. Overall I'm more interested in the character personality than the things they've done or had done to them, but you'll give me more options if I have a background to work with.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Everything is a puzzle. I always have ulterior motives. Combats will generally be short and violent. Roleplaying is probably the biggest focus, though.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Not that I can think of.

Spoiler: House Rules
    Show
    Spoiler: Magic/psionics transparency
    Show

Knowledge (psionics and arcana) overlap, as do UMD and UPD, but with +5 to DC for cross-discipline checks.

In addition to their normal effects, antimagic fields always suppress psionic items, including dorjes and power stones and the like from which powers are indirectly manifested, and have a 60% chance to nullify any given power or psi-like ability when manifested by a creature directly. The reverse is also true for null psionics fields with magic items and spells.

Spoiler: Favored Classes
    Show
    So it's up in the character creation parameters, but that's a lot to sift through so I'm putting it here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Favored classes will also be a thing, but in a different way than normal because I'm a woman of science and know that rewards are superior to punishments in pretty much all ways. Instead of normal favored class rules, for every class level in your race's favored class you have the option of gaining either one additional HP or one additional skill point.
    For humans and half-elves and other races for whom the favored class is listed as "any" or unlisted, your favored class is still treated as the one for which you have the most levels.

Diplomacy
    The Giant's fix for the horribly broken diplomacy rules.

Heal
    A recently injured creature can receive a special "first aid" (or "trauma surgery", if you prefer) heal (or profession [surgeon, etc.] check that takes ten minutes and restores one fifth of the check's result in HP. You can take ten on this check, but not 20. Once a check has been made, the creature can't benefit from another until they've sustained another bout of injuries. This is in an effort to make the heal and profession (surgeon, etc) skills actually useful, as a really good doctor's abilities should scale in the same way that spellcraft and bluff do without requiring divine magic. A character can reduce the time by half by taking a -10 penalty to this check, but a negative check result can result in lost HP according to the same formula.

The spells in PHB, Spell Compendium, Completes, etc. are not the end-all spell knowledge. NPC wizards or archivists will probably have a few novel spells in their spellbooks, and they can probably be persuaded to let them be copied. I'm totally going to allow custom spell and item creation, too, obviously, because it makes the world more interesting.

All NPCs and monsters play by the same rules you do.

Others as they become pertinent. I really don't like saddling everyone with rules that might never come up, and
    Last edited by Saskia; 2015-11-18 at 11:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: {OOC} From the Dark

Reserved for XP and loot tracking.
    Loot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magical Map
    Inscribed heraldic gem, suspected value 250-400 gp
    Mwk. short sword
    43 gp worth in scroll scribing inks and reagents
    Two spellbooks (wizard)

XP
    Spoiler: Group
    Show
    90 for the fight at the burned-out manor house
    60 for getting through the gate without raising suspicion

Last edited by Saskia; 2015-04-02 at 01:46 PM. Reason: XP update

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Good afternoon, everyone! I look forward to a great game. Fix will speak in Navy Blue, which matches the color of her eyes.

Fix's sheet! Scrolls to be decided, but they'll be on there soon. I may use this post to keep track of her crafting information.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2014-07-18 at 05:57 PM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Curse you woman, you stole my color! Thianin will take Golden Rod, since, you know, he's from the desert.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2014-07-18 at 02:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Dark Green shall be the color of Simon's speech. Why? Because why wouldn't someone speak in his favorite color?
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Woo, we're starting! Maria will speak in Indigo, because purple is a powerful color, I guess. I was considering other colors, but I think it's the one I like more. I don't usually take speaking colors in consideration, so it's just an impulsive decision.
    Last edited by Crinias; 2014-07-18 at 05:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

To impose upon the lot of you young whippersnappers just how persnickety, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, ornery, stodgy, and generally old Phinneas is I'll be speaking in some kind of Gray.

Phinneas' Sheet, for DMly perusal

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Phinneas' eyes are just about as sunken as his career. The large saucers blink slowly behind the wrinkles that have started to form all over his face throughout the decades, and he looks much like you'd expect one to look who had spent more than 100 years in the library.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    As an academic, Dr. Kessler is cautious to accept any new ideas without incontrovertible proof. Even then, it can be difficult. Stubborn isn't the word...oh wait, yes it is. Dr. Kessler also enjoys blathering on at length about subjects that interest him with little regard to whether they interest others. Phinneas is fiercely inquisitive, stemming from his days as a scholar. He's also incredibly cautious unless he's lost in thought, at which point he becomes an unparalleled daredevil because he's simply not paying any attention to the world around him. Phinneas can come across as condescending, especially when he prefaces a lengthy discourse on minutiae the average person wouldn't know with "It's quite simple, actually..." It's a habit that hasn't earned him any friends--well, that and his old-fashioned ways.

Spoiler: NPC relationships
    Show
    • Penelope d'Sivis, amateur history buff, Phinneas' pen pal back in Zilargo and object of his longtime affections. She hardly knows of his interest, though, as their correspondence has always been strictly platonic and mostly professional.
    • Major Bradley Hathaway, human in the Brelish army who had long ago recruited Phinneas as a codebreaker. When he was edged out by later advances in technology, Major Hathaway was one of the few who fought to keep Phinneas onboard. Since humans have a much shorter life expectancy than gnomes, Hathaway is now on his deathbed (unbeknownst to Phinneas).
    • Dr Reglas P Ignelia, elven historian. Reglas seems to have made a habit of publishing papers that refute everything Phinneas has ever published.
    • Dean Arthur Turlington, the human who'd prefer to sweep Phinneas under the rug rather than having the stones to fire him or the sympathy to support him despite the sideways glances of others.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    They say that time heals all wounds, but the experience of Dr. Phinneas Kessler had been quite the opposite. Instead, time only creates new wounds around the old ones that have started to settle in and scarify. As a youth, Phinneas had traveled from Zilargo to Breland to study at prestigious Morgrave University. He became a Brelish citizen and enlisted in the Brelish army to help afford the exorbitant tuition, and for a while the arrangement worked. Phin was trained in various languages and the art of codebreaking in his capacity as a soldier while he learned classic literature and history during his time at the University.

However, the cryptology group saw a revolution with the influx of arcanists and artificers. No longer did one need a complete understanding of letter replacement, mirror scripts, or cipher cards to break a code. No, instead these newfangled magicians needed to only wave their hand or punch a button, and either the "magic" or the "machines" did all the work. A bunch of phooey if you asked Phinneas...but nobody ever did. The army thanked him for his service and provided him with an honorable discharge. He could still pursue his post-graduate studies at Morgrave University, but of course the bill would be his to foot.

Phin began to scrimp and save, moving to a hovel down in the Cogs and making the climb up the levels of the City of Towers to attend his classes and complete his study each day. To afford his academic career, he took a job as a janitor at The Burning Ring, one of the brothels in Firelight (the red light district of the Lower Menthis Plateau). The work wasn't glamorous, but it paid the bills. This continued for decades as Phinneas studied, until the Last War changed everything.

When war broke out, all hands were needed on deck. The army approached Phin once more about assisting with the cryptology group, and he had the opportunity to work alongside the magicians and engineers that had once ousted him. What he saw as a chance for retribution was instead a nail in the coffin, though--Phin's accuracy was far removed from that of the magic or the machines, and once Zil formally aligned with Breland there was no need for nonmagical cryptographers. Instead, there was an explosion of arcanists and artificers coming out of House Sivis, and Dr. Kessler was once more discharged and left with a hefty tuition bill.

The Last War ended, but Phinneas' hatred of magic carried on. He developed elaborate theories of how it was all merely a parlor trick conjured or evoked through other, more mundane means. None in his academic circles took him seriously, and some (like his friend Major Hathaway) figured he would simply give up this odd notion. Instead, he entrenched himself ever deeper and became something of a laughingstock. He sought employment, but could find none anywhere except the University that had been his alma mater. Even then, he was given a position more as a way for Morgrave to silence Phinneas' more unique views than anything else. He was shuttled off to a dark corner of the University to continue his research, and he was allowed to give the occassional lecture or two...but always with the supervision of another member of the faculty. Usually, this "supervisor" was someone much younger who happened to luck into their gig because of their knowledge of "magic." Phooey.

This was the way things continued for some time, even through the end of the war. However, one day everything changed. Phinneas was in the middle of his consolidated history of Xen'drik when a student in the front row collapsed. Some joked that she had fainted from boredom, but none moved to help. Phinneas, however, realized that something needed to be done and moved to the student's side. She had not simply fainted--she had no pulse! Phinneas tried to remember back to the University-mandated first aid course that all of the professors had taken and attempted first aid. Chest compressions weren't having any effect, but then he placed a hand gently on the unconscious girl's shoulder.

Phin's hand pulsed with a gentle light, and he felt a wave of warmth come over him accompanied by the scent of ozone. The girl's eyelashes fluttered and, before Phinneas knew what had happened, she had risen to hug him and thank him for saving her. Phinneas sheepishly accepted her compliments and dismissed the class early. For hours afterward, he sat motionless in his office and stared at his hand. What had he done? He had never believed in any of that "magic" hogwash, but it seemed he had somehow just used it. This would require research.

In the months that have followed, Phinneas has dug into every text he could find on the subject of magic. However, most of them indicate that magical ability is either innate from birth (in the case of the sorcerous), studied at length (as with the wizardly), or granted by the gods (cf. the clerics of the Silver Flame, the Sovereign Host, et al). Phin had no prior magical ability, and had not studied it previous to The Incident, so that left only one terrifying possibility...but what god might have granted him with this power, and why? These are questions to which Phinneas does not have answers, but he will not stop seeking until he finds them.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-19 at 06:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

IC up. Feel free to bicker amongst yourselves or plot the puppeteer's downfall. It's always nice to start with the party conveniently alone in one place, right?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    IC up. Feel free to bicker amongst yourselves or plot the puppeteer's downfall. It's always nice to start with the party conveniently alone in one place, right?
    I roll initiative. Can't trust these people!

Kidding. Though the wording of that letter makes me naturally suspicious.

LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #10

Oh, I see you edited in Fix's sheet into your post, Ragged. Really digging her so far.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I roll initiative. Can't trust these people!

Kidding. Though the wording of that letter makes me naturally suspicious.
    Great literature is half creativity, and half clever plagiarism.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Great literature is half creativity, and half clever plagiarism.
    My game is 100% creatively disguised plagiarism.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by King Tius View Post
    My game is 100% creatively disguised plagiarism.
    Wait, I'm supposed to disguise my plagiarism?!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Wait, I'm supposed to disguise my plagiarism?!
    Don't look at me, I'm running my game straight out of a module with half-disguised characters from my favorite books thrown in as seasoning.

Plus some evil plots cribbed out of various Eberron books.

LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I apologize for the lack of plagiarism. There will be more of it come the next town, I swear.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Oh man, I have really missed playing Fix. She's the best when it comes to not having any idea how social interaction works.

LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, this is something I've never thought of before, but can warforged smell?

Also, how was this message delivered to us?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diful Takveh View Post
    Alright, this is something I've never thought of before, but can warforged smell?

They cannot smell or taste. There is a warforged component that grants the ability to smell (along with the actual Scent ability).

LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say not generally, no. Warforged don't really have need of that sense for the most part, so probably wouldn't be worth the effort and cost to include it.

Maybe a dedicated alchemy or cooking warforged? But generally no.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say not generally, no. Warforged don't really have need of that sense for the most part, so probably wouldn't be worth the effort and cost to include it.

Maybe a dedicated alchemy or cooking warforged? But generally no.
    And the second part? The part of how this message was delivered to us in the first place e.g. messenger boy...
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

And the second part? The part of how this message was delivered to us in the first place e.g. messenger boy...
    Oh. Right. The operative part I forgot to include but was most intending to reply to.

Various ways. For Simon, his was left in his spellbook. Fix's was in her bag. Maria's was on her bed with a rose. Phinneas found hid in a book he had borrowed from a colleague, but who knew nothing about it. Thianin found his in his clothing after a street urchin girl bumped into him on the street, but she ducked off into a crowd and couldn't be followed.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

To be entirely clear, I really want to know what's going on, but Simon just doesn't care enough yet to give any serious thought to it.

These people are ruddy mysterious.

Also, I just realized that I hadn't put spellbook in my equipment list. I should probably double check for a few other things as well.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Hopefully Fix noticing that we resemble an 'adventuring party' doesn't seem like metagaming. Eberron's published history is stuffed with adventuring parties, especially anything dealing with Xen'drik or big important events. I figured that part of the 'cinematic world' aspect means that groups of exceptional individuals tend to accomplish more than normal groups of people, and are therefore written about more often.

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #24

Hey folks, just checking in to say that I'll be getting up an IC post in the morning.

EDIT: Or tonight. Please don't kill me.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-07-21 at 09:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Hey folks, just checking in to say that I'll be getting up an IC post in the morning.

EDIT: Or tonight. Please don't kill me.
    Guh. On one hand, I really really want to post. On the other hand, I want to let everyone have a chance to talk before I say more.

Decisions, they burn me.

LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #26

Guh. On one hand, I really really want to post. On the other hand, I want to let everyone have a chance to talk before I say more.

Decisions, they burn me.
    When in doubt, post away. I can always catch up.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

When in doubt, post away. I can always catch up.
    But patience is a virtue, and now we have gnomish goodness to respond to.

LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #28

I can't help but find it amusing that although the average party Intelligence is very high, the one party member with highest Charisma is a Warforged, of all races.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crinias View Post
    I can't help but find it amusing that although the average party Intelligence is very high, the one party member with highest Charisma is a Warforged, of all races.
    And wait... Simon has the second Highest Charisma? What is that about? I mean, I guess he has his charm, but really people? Really?

--EDIT--
    Then again, given the nature of that post, it seems he has more Charisma than I do.
    Last edited by Diful Takveh; 2014-07-21 at 10:59 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Personally, I'm going to question why on earth you'd choose to have more Charisma, Dexterity or Strength than Constitution.