Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Fall of Zarus - IC

"Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"Anyone can deal with victory. Only the mighty can bear defeat." -Adolf Hitler

You've lost.

Whether or not you actually fought, whether or not you even knew there was a war, you lost. Zarus' armies march across the continent of Ulru, unchecked, and the only places they do not extend their reach are those places they have no desire for. You, the inhumans, have been pushed to the very edges of the world. For some, this is not an issue. They have always lived on those edges, and the only real change is that now things are much more crowded. For others, this is a huge and devastating change. They have lost their homes, their families, all that they were to the scourge which wipes the land.

Somewhere in the Deep Pits, a gong rings, signalling the beginning of a new day. With no sunlight here, it is difficult for the diurnal species to keep to a proper sleep schedule. The dwarves have always used the gongs for this purpose, and with Gahriar's wards keeping sound from traveling outside the boundaries of this strange underground refugee camp, it is still safe to ring the morning and evening gongs. Occasionally, Zarite patrols run through the upper city of Heddwch's Reach, but in roughly fifty years, none have ever bothered to journey into the Deep Pits.

But now, the refugees of the day awake, and begin their work, as those who work in the night take their rest. Forges are lit, crude storefronts are opened, and guards change shifts. The Deep Pits are a twisting series of tunnels, not a city as one would think of one on the surface, but merely spaces carved into the walls as needed. It was never designed for a city, just a mine, and most of the tunnels are sized for dwarves. Over the fifty years it has served as a residence, some of the major tunnels have been widened for the larger denizens, but in most places it is still a tight squeeze.

Each of you has awoken from a dream. Those of you who do not sleep experienced this as a daydream, but dream you did. A summons from your host, Gahriar the Cruel, Lady of the Black Dragonflight, Mistress of the Deep Pits and quite possibly the last surviving Great Wyrm of the old True Dragons. Her majestic frame, lit by green fire, has informed each of you that she requires your presence in her chambers at the noontide gong. There are several hours until then, so each of you are free to conduct any business you may have beforehand - or simply to arrive at Her Ladyship's abode early. Perhaps others will be there.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Fall of Zarus - IC

Reacher

A gnome with short, reddish hair and green eyes picks her way through the twisting passages of the Pits. She has a broad smile and a friendly greeting for those she sees on the way - everything from dwarven guards and elven refugees to a Mind Flayer running an apothecary shop. She has strapped to her back a backpack, a longsword, a bow, and a fiddle - all clearly a bit large for her though they have been wrapped in a bundle which makes carrying them less awkward than it might otherwise be.

She ambles in the general direction of Gahriar, but takes her time - perhaps not entirely keen to stand in front of the great dragon herself. A quick word with a shopkeeper she knows, a stop to pick up a delicious sticky bun, but all too soon she finds herself in the tunnels immediately outside the dragon's lair.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The sound of the morning gong wakes Gulklyreth from a very vivid summons. The great general Gahriar used her dreams to call her forward for a meeting. Lowering herself out of her web she goes about her morning routine. Washing up in a underground basin nearby, making sure to wash her hair and take care around the spot where her precious orb used to be. Damn Zarites I'm going to make them pay for taking my eye.

She still remebers the journey to get here after hearing from a traveling underground merchant about a possible army being put together in the Deep Pits. Her surprise was massive to see so many different races working together to bring the zarites to their knees. Dwarves, elves, gnomes, duergar, drow, mind flayers; everything rom animal to vermin that was being persecuted by these arrogant humans was gathered here for a chance at payback.

Finishing up Gullyreth dries off and puts her clothes on. She feels a little thrill as the strap for her quiver is drawn across her chest. The sheath for her spear placed across her back as well. When she puts her eyepatch back on Gulklyreth feels complete. she's still getting used to the disoriented feeling of not having 2 eyes. The healing scars from heavy fighting remind her why she's here. The former associates she had.

Not feeling the need to poke around and waste time Gulklyreth heads for Gahriars Lair a little anxious to see why she has summoned her. She might be ready to move already and has started to call forth various teams for tasks/missions. Frowning she still feels cramped as she travels through a few sections of the cave system sized for the little people. Having to take care squeezing thrugh these sections she smiles when coming to the area where it's evident a dragon lives as the passages and caverns are larger than she has need for. When the lair comes into view she sees that theres another person there, a small person.
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2014-07-22 at 01:30 PM.
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show
    Lea - Gangs of Freeport(Pathfinder)

Spoiler: Previous Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Under the earth, away from the sun, but no sea to be found. Less alien, but still far from home, if there was even a home any more. Water felt far different to it's stony flesh than it had in the days before what it had come to call the Encasement, where it had used the earth and stone to protect itself from the harsh eternal dreaming. It's rocky skin felt like it's own now, it's cool, smooth, moist skin a distant memory among so many, many other memories that it was hard to call it a memory of it's own at all.

The dwarf-walkers needed help with tunneling for the larger creatures, from their tiny standards. Nevek’Jethixur could now swim through the earth, and, as in the sea, it left a wake, but this wake was in stone, and it could be of use to those that couldn't swim through stone as it could. The dwarf-walkers were very concerned with collapse, they were measuring and writing constantly, using denominations that were unfamiliar to Nevek, though there were distant memories of the Aboleth that had directed dwarf-thralls in building below the seas, and all seemed distantly familiar to the Aboleth, as though another race were recalling a strangely clear dream.

Nevek swam as they directed, wiping away any trail that it made before the dwarf-walkers set in with their lumber and steel to shore up it's wake. It had been like this for some days, Nevek coming here to see it's acquaintance, the bard-worm, and wanting to be of some use. The waking dream had been unusual, Aboleth tend not to fantasize or imagine in the way other races understand it, and it was as if some ancient collective memory had shoved it's way to the surface of Nevek's mind unbidden, forcing all others out of the way. The wyrm-creature directed Nevek to come as bidden, and, while Nevek understood the tunnels of the dwarf-walkers to be the territory of the wyrm-creature, and thus it's obligations as a guest from a twisted Aboleth point of view, it had pangs of pride, as if a wyrm-creature could bid an Aboleth come hither.

The dwarf-walkers would be hard at work for some time. Nevek usually held the beams in place, but occasionally, as it did now, wondered off and left them to it. Forbidden as it was to swim amidst the dwarf-walker tunnels, it dragged itself along through the larger areas of the tunnels, looking for the walker-shape that the bard-worm was wearing, causing as little a stir as possible in the process. The bard-worm knew more about the wyrm-creature and the customs of the walker-tunnels than it did, and it's Aboleth memories screamed caution whenever dealing with a wyrm-creature. More information was needed.
    Last edited by Lord Bayushi; 2014-07-22 at 01:22 PM.
    'When you're lo-oo-ony, then you just don't give a fig.
    Man's so pu-oo-oony, and the universe so big.
    If you hurt inside,
    Get certified,
    And if life should treat you bad...
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Get MAD!'
    -Joker, The Killing Joke

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Ascent did not sleep often. Nighttime was too busy and there were appearances to be maintained during the day. Besides, there were few worse places to trap a Demon than inside their own head. So the nature of the summons would have annoyed her, even had it not interrupted a verrry interesting talk with a Dwarven Elder. (About Dwarf-Human Relations in ancient times. Ascent was far from chaste, even now, but she still knew better than to give the impression she was feeding on her allies.)

Thanks to her mood she had paid little attention during her walk towards the larger tunnels. A state of mind that had won her little but a muddy smear on the forehead from the times she'd walked into a low ceiling during the journey. Luckily she wasn't nearly a fast enough walker to injure herself...

It was, in fact, not cranial trauma but an Aboleth who finally arrested the Succubus' progress. Mainly by being much larger than her, heavier than her, slower than her... and ahead of her.

Abyssal: "....well, that's not the kind of arse I expected to be staring at down here..."

Aboleth (via Tongues): "Could you hurry, oh giant one? Somehow I doubt I have the strength to push you..."

Just because Ascent could be diplomatic, didn't stop her from being in a bad mood...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Reacher

Gulklyreth might see the small figure dawdle, and as she gets closer she might even hear it idly singing a song in what might be Goblin. For anyone who approaches and speaks Goblin, the song is a humorous one mostly about the increasingly unlikely ways a small group of clever goblins trick a much larger group of hapless, bumbling orcs.
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-22 at 08:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Dhuuch tuuch'zaan rhaac ghuugaan shagaakloch. Or't huukakec draaraagaal ar.
    Spoiler: goblin
    Show
    Fools should've been more careful. Orc's probably deserved it.

Gulklyreth has a predatory grin on her face as she approaches the small creature singing in goblin. She stares at the little one sizing it up.

Haakhec kekhaan okaan. Ghec khralkaan an Hol'dur. Magaan o rhaac tolkuukaal maagaan an daach?
    Spoiler: goblin
    Show
    Greetings little one. My name is Gulklyeth. Have you been summoned here as well?
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Reacher

The gnome spins, clearly a bit startled, but quickly producing a friendly smile and smoothly transitioning to Common, "Why hello there! Wonderful to meet you, Gulklyreth - love the eyepatch, gives you a certain gravitas."

She produces a graceful bow, "Reacher Wordsmith, at your service. I was indeed summoned - though I'm not sure what help a humble bard might be to the great wyrm. I'm frankly not entirely sure I'm looking forward to finding out."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Reaching up to stroke the eyepatch a ray of light twinkles in the ruby after her hand passes over it. It is a constant reminder of what happened when I was tested for the second time. I got it the hard way. You notice the scarring around the eyepatch indicating that a blade had passed over the eye socket too close for comfort. For the sake of all of us I hope you find yourself more useful than you think. Failure is not going to be good for any of us, the humans are brutal and relentless. Shall we proceed Reacher? Let's go find out why we were summoned.
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2014-07-25 at 05:13 PM.
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Gilbert awoke with a start, already curious about his summons. An invasion? a spy? perhaps a mission...or maybe the old dragon hag wants a snack. Nah, that's how 'justice' works in this mixed up bottled realm works. n He dutifully got dressed and left to conduct the morning service to his congregation in the half hour slot between Pelor's and St Cuthbert's since all three religions are privileged enough to time share a single chapel within the Moradin's grand vault. The product of being old allies in wars long forgotten, Gilbert was grateful that the Fist of Valor had temporary accommodation. The Arch-Paladin's half brother's cult had fared much worse and as far as Gilbert knew was working out of an abandoned basement somewhere. Not that the bastards deserved any better.

Remaining apprehensive about his summons, he informed his small congregation at the end of his sermon that he might have to step down due to a military assignment and if that is indeed true then he'll be handing the congregation over to his deputy. Determining succession in advance was necessary in these troubled times as it was all too easy to have a schism with so few followers. After a brief chat with the young cleric, Gilbert having full trust in her, let her know the full details of what he expected with Gahriar which was little admittedly. Now his clerical affairs were in order, Gilbert had breakfast and conducted some target practicing with his bow. The practice was more to stretch his muscle than to perfect his aiming which to be blunt was exceptional but that was expected of a pixie anyway.

After concluding his practice, Gilbert went and purchased stationary supplies and more arrows. He needed the stationary supplies so that if he ever used his amnesiac arrows, his victims would at least be aware of a remedy for their affliction. Whether or not they could get the remedy wasn't Gilbert's concern, it took the enemies out of action and in war that what mattered most. The fact that the actual remedy was hidden deep within a pamphlet exposing the evil of Zarus always amused Gilbert as did the wizard who had first made the suggestion.

At around ten after concluding his errands, Gilbert decided it was time to fly to entrance to the Dragon Queen's lair. He was wondering if any others might have shown up yet. Indeed there they were, one stunning naked woman of a race he couldn't identify and a fish thing that appeared to be made from stone. He'll have to inquire about that later.

Good Morning to you both. Are you here to speak to the Lady as well? He asks as calmly as possible, trying to hide any embarrassment or fear although his body language was quite tense.
    Last edited by Rendel Nep; 2014-07-23 at 10:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vertharrad View Post
    Reaching up to stroke the eyepatch a ray of light twinkles in the ruby after her hand passes over it. It is a constant reminder of what happened when I was tested for the second time. I got it the hard way. You notice the scarring around the eyepatch indicating that a blade had passed over the eye socket too close for comfort. For the sake of all of us you I hope you find yourself more useful than you think. Failure is not going to be good for any of us, the humans are brutal and relentless. Shall we proceed Reacher? Let's go find out why we were summoned.
    The smile briefly leaves Reacher's eyes, if not her mouth, "Oh, I know of humans, Gulklyreth. Perhaps we should wait and see if there are others - I had assumed I was the only one summoned, but here you are. Anyway, while I may not dare to be fashionable late, I will at the very least not be early. It's a matter of principle!"

Reacher hums the last couple of bars of the goblin song - it's really quite catchy, "We should know each other better, if we are potentially going to end up room-mates in a dragon's stomach. You did not say why it might be that the old wyrm would call you in?"
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-23 at 11:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Abyssal: "....well, that's not the kind of arse I expected to be staring at down here..."

Aboleth (via Tongues): "Could you hurry, oh giant one? Somehow I doubt I have the strength to push you..."
    The utterance in Abyssal managed to start the Aboleth, it began to turn it's bulk so it could look behind it when it heard it's own language for the first time in what seemed an eternity. It understood that another Aboleth was not here, but somewhere within in, a feeling of longing and hope, alien concepts to the Aboleth, caused it to turn faster, until it was finally able to see the red-skinned, bat-winged form before it. Disappointment was apparent on it's stony features to those that could identify the expressions of Aboleth (few indeed), and it let out a small wheeze from it's mucus ducts, a sigh among it's kind, once it realized how much the foolishness of hope had taken hold.

It responded to the demoness in her own tongue, deciding that the sentimental notions of it's own were still factors to which it should devote more study before indulging. "I have been forbidden from swimming through the dwarf-walker caves, tanar'ri, but if your need is urgent, I can hasten my travel. Is 'arse' a term of familiarity, contempt, or curiosity among your kind?"

It concentrated as it spoke, and rose from the ground ever so slightly, seeming to swim in mid-air, still confined by the tight space of the cavern, but no longer clumsily dragging itself around. It 'swam' sideways through the corridor, twisting it's form so that it could keep eyes on it's path and the succubus as well. "And have you seen the Reacher Wordsmith? I seek it's guidance."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking 10 on the knowledge check (32), activating Psionic Flight, now moving at 60ft.
    If you hurt inside,
    Get certified,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Get MAD!'
    -Joker, The Killing Joke

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Looking bored Gulklyreth mulls over what to say to the diminutive gnome. I don't know why Gahriar requires me, but I will tell you why I'm here.

She stretches a tense minute out while dredging up the recent events up that she wants to forget. "I was surviving on the fringes of underground existence waiting for the tensions between the drow and other driders to either smoothen themselves out or explode. Visiting a nearby enclave of driders I came upon a entrenched battle between them and some of these Zarite humans. You have to realize that for the longest time humans have been slaves to drow down here. I used my magic and steel to try and give my people a chance at getting away.

She strokes the eyepatch again. That's where I got this. There was a point in the battle when I knew it was futile. Running out of spells and blood from the multiple wounds, this insane human male rushes me swinging his long 2-handed blade. I felt the pointy steel skip across my face as I speared him repeatedly. I fled shortly after. I was lucky to get this before they attacked and destroyed the nearby drow city. An underground merchant told me about this place. And that a army was being assembled to strike back. Here I am waiting for an audiance with one of the oldest creatures around...dragons. I just want a chance to revisit some payback for them taking my eye and destroying the closest thing to a family or home I had left.
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2014-07-23 at 12:08 PM.
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Reacher

"Never spent much time around the Drow - or Driders - myself, for all that my own people also dwell underground. We tend to not inhabit places quite so deep, though, I suppose." Reacher studies the drider's face a moment, expression more serious, "So it seems that you owe the Zarusites for an eye. And you are a warrior and a magic user? Indicative of why you might be summoned."

Reacher grins broadly again, "Seems to be good news - perhaps we aren't on the menu, even if we are scheduled for a lunch-time meeting. I owe my own debt of unpleasantness to the human fanatics - a common thread between us, and perchance we might be called to repay them."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Ascent, for her part, hadn't the faintest idea what an Aboleth was. She'd never felt the need to study aberrations, since they'd typically require specialized Succubi to tempt, assuming they were even vulnerable to such things in the first place...

Aboleth (via tongues): "Reacher's here? Huh, guess it's a small cave system. I haven't seen Reacher in decades... Still, I should have known the humans wouldn't be able to kill them. When it comes to evading humans, the right face and some practice on your mannerisms and they'll never suspect a thing.

Actually, 'arse' is an anatomical term, referring to the padded part of a humanoid's body at the back of the joint between the legs and the torso. This part.
    " Turning to present her rear to the fish-rock-monster, Ascent got her first look at Gilbert while she was indicating the correct region of her body with her tail.

Aboleth (via tongues): "I know it's probably not an accurate description of your anatomy, but it was the closest term I had 'to mind', as it were, for someone's rear end."

So, a Pixie too? Strange group. Still, it was far more likely to work on a mission with her than the giant rock-fish-monster was. She could sneak a pixie into anywhere just by wearing a dress with pockets.

Sylvan (via tongues): "I don't suppose either of you understand when I speak in the other's tongue, do you? To answer your question, I am here to speak to the Dragon, yes. I haven't learned enough about... that..." gesturing again with her tail, this time at Nevek "to know if it is as well."

A quick glance back over her shoulder at that comment revealed that Nevek was now easily outpacing her. She quickly spins back around to face where she's going, because she has to hustle to keep up with him now. Something she'd have found sadly difficult to do while walking backwards...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

A curious look comes across her face. What can you do? Certainly theres something other than being a meal that would bring you to the attention of a old dragon. Theres others around here that can probably be a better bigger meal. What do you do?
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Reacher

Quote Originally Posted by Vertharrad View Post
    A curious look comes across her face. What can you do? Certainly theres something other than being a meal that would bring you to the attention of a old dragon. Theres others around here that can probably be a better bigger meal. What do you do?
    "A fair enough question. I am a bard, and so while I carry a sword my true weapons are words. Truth and lies; songs and whispers. And with those weapons (if very few others) I am a skilled enough warrior. I have traveled extensively in the human controlled lands, I know many people, and if we are to be sent against the humans then we will probably need to traverse the areas they control without having to fight an army at every step: I may be some assistance with that. I have some few magical tricks. I suppose those are reasons, though who knows what's in the mind of the old Wyrm." Reacher shrugs, "As for others being a bigger meal, I don't doubt it - but perhaps I'm bigger on the inside than I look on the outside."
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-23 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

Gilbert looks back from the momentary distraction and shakes his head while keeping up effortlessly.
    (Thickly accented Sylvan) No, it sounds like a cacophony of wind instruments all going off at once. Sylvan's a second language for me, I learnt it through an elf tutor paid by the orphanage that raised me. He replies.
    Last edited by Rendel Nep; 2014-07-23 at 10:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

The Aboleth took notice of the tiny new-comer, a fey of some description, but could make not sense of the language they were using. Deciding to attempt to speak in the common walker-speak, it hoped to overcome the problem in a more meaningful way.

"Your strange sounds seem to be a language, perhaps I can help find a way where we could all understand one another more clearly."

Nevek reached out with it's mind, weaving a psionic lattice that would allow them all to think to one another clearly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Activate psi-like ability Involuntary Mindlink, targeting both of my 'companions', make DC 18 Will saves (or just choose to fail) to be part of the fun.
    Last edited by Lord Bayushi; 2014-07-23 at 10:50 PM.
    If you hurt inside,
    Get certified,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Get MAD!'
    -Joker, The Killing Joke

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

Gilbert willingly allows the Aboleth to make contact mostly to be polite he supposes.
    As a gesture of trust feel free to come in but please leave the furniture as you left it. Past experience has assured me it's really quite difficult to pin a spell on me if I don't want it to. So I just think like this right? he thinks

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Will Save" - (1d20+18)[29]

Taking Nevek's lead, Ascent switches to common. Honestly, she'd have tried that earlier if she'd realised that Nevek spoke it.

Common: "How rude! Did I try forcing my way into your mind? Then why are you pushing into mine?! My mind is not some library for you to stroll into at your leisure, you know."

Oddly enough, she was thinking along similar lines to Nevek's resentment of being summoned. Strangers intruding into your mind was what Succubi did to mortals, to have this fish monster do it to her was... distasteful, to say the least. It was especially galling down in the Deep Piits, where Ascent wasn't getting to prey on anyone, since they were all 'allies' now... yet another factor contributing to her less-than-sunny demeanor...
    Last edited by whoiam; 2014-07-24 at 02:42 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mental tether in place, Nevek began to communicate with the fey in a way that seemed far more natural to it than modulating sounds. "Furniture? I have no desire for anything more than the transfer of information, have no fear of re-arrangement. I am Nevek’Jethixur, former Savant of my kind, the Aboleth of the deep seas." As it thought, images of it's strange home and life before it's exile were transferred, some quite disturbing, as what is natural and everyday to Aboleth seems quite horrifying to most other races. Pangs of longing for the waters of it's former life, for it's soft, moist skin and for it's position of authority and acceptance all came along with the images, making the entire visage seem quite sad. "Now an exile to the walker-lands, Encased and homeless, wandering eternal." Less a feeling of depression or anger, but simply of acceptance followed the images of Nevek as it was now, and the few flashes of places that it had been on the surface world. "I greet you."

At the same time, continuing to communicate in the common walker-tongue, Nevek expressed confusion. "Expediting communication in a more meaningful way is rude? Tanar'ri culture must be different than I imagine. No rudeness was intended, only deeper and quicker means by which to exchange information."

As the tunnel began to widen, ahead, it's roof was also extended, so that Nevek could gain a bit of altitude. It looked out among the creatures in the larger area, but could not be certain what walker-form the Reacher Wordsmith would be wearing. "Do you think that one of these is the Reacher Wordsmith?"
    If you hurt inside,
    Get certified,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Get MAD!'
    -Joker, The Killing Joke

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Common, angry: "Actually, going into another's head uninvited is one of the cornerstones of Tanar'ri culture. But if you think Demons are a good model for the sorts of behaviour that allows disparate groups to co-exist peacefully then you really don't know us very well, do you? Around here, it's best to think of Telepathy as like mortal mating. It's typically done between people who know and trust each other, or by people whose judgement is in some respect impaired, or between the strong and those too weak or fearful to resist them. That last category tends to be frowned upon, incidentally. Usually from a safe distance, behind a line of the local guard. But frowned upon all the same. Now let's just agree that the two of us don't currently fall under any of those categories, and stick to using our mouths, shall we?"

As she caught up with Nevek again, Ascent had the chance to look around the chamber. She could see a Drider - who looked sort of familiar? But Ascent didn't know, or work with, Driders... so she shrugged that one off. There was also a halfling, who she did not immediately recognise.

Common, calm: "As to Reacher, I do not know. But as with so many other social situations, being a loudmouth has it's advantages."

Common, shouting through cupped hands at Reacher and Gulkyreth: "Oi! Is Reacher Wordsmith hiding inside either of you two?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Looking up at someone being so crass as to shout out such a implication Gulklyreth stops with a surprised look on her face. Her mind races as she mentaly harkens back to a very impressionable time in her life. She involuntarily holds her breath as she lays eyes on one of her teachers who initiated her into the wonderment of the arcane arts. Finally coming to herself she adopts a annoyed look. And speaking loud enough to carry unobtrusively she replies. My palate does not include the pale cousins of svirfneblin I'll have you know. But what are you doing here Pasha? Were you summoned from the planes for a specific purpose this time?
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2014-07-24 at 04:02 PM.
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Reacher (all in common)

Reacher spreads her arms wide in greeting, projecting her voice without shouting, "Pasha!" She grins and holds her arms up as if linked at the wrist by invisible shackles, "You caught me! I'm am indeed 'in here'. It sounds as though you and Gulklyreth here have already met as well? I hope you aren't here to stop us - I know all the humans turning evil must be doing wonders for business. I don't expect they would let you walk around if that was the case, though. Regardless, its nice to see you, I hope you have been well? Lots of 'customers'? Still better than me at dancing? - though I maintain that being a Succubus is cheating!"

Reacher squints, "And is that Nevek? The old lady gave you a call too, did she? My what an interesting group." She indicates the Pixie, "And who is your tiny friend?"
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-24 at 03:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Common, quietly: "See? There's usually a simple answer to these sorts of questions. I'll admit, I didn't expect it to be *that* simple..."

Grinning, Ascent crosses the open cave to join the two who recognised her. She was staring at Gulkyreth the entire way across. Even when she reaches them and responds to Reacher, she's still staring at the Drider. "The Pixie never introduced himself. Neither did 'Nevek', but then that might have been what he was trying to do telepathically on the way over. The downside to blocking telepathic content is you never really know what they wanted. Aaanyway... I haven't been going by Passion-by-Moonlight for a while, now."

She switches into a singsong tone to recite "The naming of Demons is a serious matter, it isn't just one of your holiday games...".

And back to conversational. "We take names for a reason - and not always the one people would guess! - but when the reason changes, so does the name.

Zaurus is a disaster for the Abyss. And for the Nine Hells. And the Upper Planes. About the only reason you can't look outside to see armies of Angels competing against Legions of Devils to see who can sack the most human towns in the shortest time period is that Zaurus hasn't been ascendant long enough to make us desperate. Yet. The problems for me and mine are two-fold. One, Demons aren't great on teamwork, so there's a good chance we'd be the big losers if this world became an open battlefield. Two, even if we won, no free humans means no need for Succubi anymore. Protecting my privileged position in the afterlife requires fighting the worship of Zaurus... quietly, so that the other planes don't get involved. So, here I am. With the name 'Ascent-of-Man'. Feel free to draw your own conclusions about why I picked it.
    "

Finally, Ascent cuts out the creepy stare, and offers Gulkyreth a hand. "Honestly, I liked your old legs better."
    Last edited by whoiam; 2014-07-24 at 05:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

After the deluge of images being revealed to him, Gilbert's face goes pale and tears swell around his eyes. He flies up and gives one of the Aboleth's fins or tentacles a hug.
    I don't fully comprehend it but I feel so sorry for you. I would welcome you you as a friend at least to ease the loneliness.

Memories flash by of acceptance among the humans then the gradual prosecution he faced as a pixie and heathen. All the times he barely escaped Zarite zealots, the storming of Heironeian temples and the constant retreats he made leading culminating in his role as a minister and inquisitor here in the Deep pits flash by with undertones of hopelessness and anger.

I guess our circumstances aren't too different. I hope to one day become accepted again. A image of human worshipers of Heironeous praying in secret pops into Gilberts head for Nevek to see.

(Common)Ladies, I am Gilbert Founderson, Knight Gallant and Inquisitor of the Fists of Valor and serve faithfully the Arch Paladin. As you could imagine, the church of Heironeous has become a bit short staffed lately. Gilbert introduces himself, the last line said with all seriousness.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

As Pasha approaches Gulklyreth smiles smugly waiting patiently for the succubus to make the connection. She feels hurt that it's taking so long, she hasn't changed that much has she? She takes Pashas hand in greetibng after being offered it. Such is the price of failure. The spider queen doesn't reward failure and is a capricous bitch. I miss my old legs too.

Zarus is a problem for all of us. If he got his way we'd all be either wiped out or enslaved. Which offends my drow pride, no slave race is going to do something like this without consequences.

Giving Ascent of Man a serious look. Do I really look so different?

Turning to address the other newcomers. Greetings my name is Gulklyreth, your estemed Drider acquantance. I'm assuming you've been summoned to an audiance with Gahriar as well? And it sounds like each of us has a vested interest in destroying these upstart interlopers.
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2014-07-25 at 05:18 PM.
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Nevek was about to comment to the succubus' statement, but was suddenly taken aback by the 'hug' of the fey. This kind of physical contact between a surface creature and an Aboleth was quite unheard of, and it didn't know how to respond. Like many facets of the surface world, there was no equivalent in Aboleth culture, and Nevek searched his extended memories for a moment, coming to an ancestor that had many helpful symbiotic fish clinging to it's dermis for much of it's life. Deciding this was the best equation, Nevek ignored the harmless gesture, and reinserted itself into the more clumsy sonic conversation with the other walker-creatures.

It met the Reacher Wordsmith's glance, and gave off a slight shrug, continuing to converse in the walker common language. "It is I, Nevek’Jethixur, and I did try to extend communication to the tanar'ri Pasha, but she took unwarranted offense, and has had an overall attitude thus far in our encounter that suggests she fits one of the walker-colloquialisms that you tried to get me to understand. Pasha is a bitch, if I understand the term properly."

Adjusting it's position to take in the group as a whole, it continued, "As for those that do not know me, I am former Savant of the Aboleth, exile and wanderer of the walker-lands. Any acquaintance of the Reacher Wordsmith has nothing to fear from me so long as they are not aggressive against the Reacher Wordsmith or myself."

Turning back to Reacher, it added, "I am glad to have found you, I have been summoned by the wyrm-creature that claims dominion over these walker-tunnels. The memories of my ancestors urge caution when dealing with the old wyrm-creatures, I seek your advice. Should I go to the wyrm-creature, or move on from this place?"
    Last edited by Lord Bayushi; 2014-07-25 at 01:55 PM.
    If you hurt inside,
    Get certified,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Don't get e-e-even,
    Get MAD!'
    -Joker, The Killing Joke

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Sticking to common now: "A Paladin? Really? Gahriar has business that's best solved by making a Paladin work together with a Demon? Well, little fey, I'm willing to try it if you are. If nothing else it'll make a nice anecdote for parties in a century or two..."

Shifting her attention back to Gulkyreth, Ascent replies with "Well, the limb count has changed. You're much larger. The face has had some work done, too, and I'm not sure I approve of the artist's technique... But apart from that, no, no change at all! Still, I'm not overly fond of the whole having-my-life-destroyed-by-humanity bit, either. It's their fault I ended up in the Abyss in the first place, the least they could do is damn themselves to make my afterlife comfortable!"

And finally, Nevek needed a response, as well. Finally turning away from Gulkyreth, she fixed a stare on what she was reasonably confident was his face... well, he was moving bits of it when he talked, and that had to be close enough, right?. "No, Ascent-of-Man is a Bitch. Or 'Demon', as we typically call ourselves. Pasha was worse. Not to my friends, of course, but there would be a surprising number of soulless husks wandering around these tunnels if I had come here as Passion-by-Moonlight..."