New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default OT: Does anyone here play the iron kingdoms RPG?

I ask this because I'm creating a homebrew world that draws heavily on the iron kingdoms d20 system, and I don't know if anyone will get the classes or rules that I mention.

And I'm pretty sure stating specific rules or classes is a no no on these boards, unless I'm mistaken?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OT: Does anyone here play the iron kingdoms RPG?

You can't post non-OGL stuff like full class stat blocks, no.

There's a few people who know a thing or two about IK around here somewhere.
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2007-03-02 at 12:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, basically, just make a post or two and see where it leads you. There are a few folks familiar with Iron Kingdoms. Also, consider posting the same material on other forums for a more rounded view.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Alrighty... thanks a bunch for that. I think I'll post on one or two forums then... once I get everything down

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Hi Kakita,

I can well understand your fascination with the Iron Kingdoms setting. I can recommend in particular the witchfire campaign.
    Last year I DMed a homebrew campagin based on it. Just added some kind of dwarf/human civilisation into it in the middle of a civil war like that in England in the 17th century, plus an Inquisition, plus Salem/witch elements (make sure you have a low magic campaign for maximum effect), and a lot more intrigue. The best part of it was to introduce several NPC girls of sorcerer level 1-3 who could be suspected of being behind the evil plot and the main witch using magic jar on the girls to confuse the PCs. Was fun!

- Giacomo

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    Just added some kind of dwarf/human civilisation into it in the middle of a civil war like that in England in the 17th century, plus an Inquisition, plus Salem/witch elements (make sure you have a low magic campaign for maximum effect)
    Oh, something like Cygnar during Vinter the Elder's reign?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    Oh, something like Cygnar during Vinter the Elder's reign?
    Hmm, don't know that one so can't tell.

- Giacomo

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

See, King Leto Raelthorne of Cygnar had enough of his brother's - Vinter Raelthorne IV, also known as the Elder - Inquisition-slash-secret-police, witch-hunts, madness and general evilry. Then, with the help of the Storm Knights and other personnel of the Cygnaran military, including the then-member of the Royal Guard, poster-boy-to-be Coleman Stryker, he fought his way to Vinter's throne room, engaged him in single combat and was about to get his ass back on a platter when a probably divine intervention switched the roles and Vinter found himself defeated.

So that's civil war, Inquisition and witch-hunts all in one. I love the setting.
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2007-03-03 at 02:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Plus it has warjacks. Warjacks are awesome.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    See, King Leto Raelthorne of Cygnar had enough of his brother's - Vinter Raelthorne IV, also known as the Elder - Inquisition-slash-secret-police, witch-hunts, madness and general evilry. Then, with the help of the Storm Knights and other personnel of the Cygnaran military, including the then-member of the Royal Guard, poster-boy-to-be Coleman Stryker, he fought his way to Vinter's throne room, engaged him in single combat and was about to get his ass back on a platter when a probably divine intervention switched the roles and Vinter found himself defeated.

So that's civil war, Inquisition and witch-hunts all in one. I love the setting.
    Wow, awesome! I admit I only got the Witchfire trilogy and it did not occur to me the extent of the whole campaign setting's similarity of the stuff I came up with.
    I guess what the witchfire campaign does best is: inspiration. You need not play the modules 1:1 (although they are also really good), but the whole setting, layout, ideas, dungeons etc. are highly atmospheric.
    Maybe where my scenario deviated most was that the country was ruled by a strange golem-like creature which the party later found out had been already gone for 40 years, replaced by a demon prince twisting everything slowly to his desires in the once-flourising country. As the only one with true magic powers, the demon prince turned the inquisition order (which originally was there to research scientific and technical stuff from a lost, 20th-century like civilisation, including old metro stations below the city of Corvis) into an order bent on finding those few people left with a talent for magic (mostly witches).
    Due to the actions of the demon, a civil war ensued between democracy-loving people suspicious of their ancient ruler gone mad on the one hand, and mornachist-like dwarves and humans on the other hand.

A, the campaign of ICK was really one of the best. I'd recommend it to everyone.

- Giacomo