New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 132
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Episode 0: Trainers Assemble!

    The five of you arrived at the old Silph Company Building at different times, from different parts of the world. For Talitha, Cyril and Conwenna that meant being recalled from the field; for Xavier, being recalled from, well, his apartment while for Gemini it meant a new set of orders in that cold cell.

    The fact that you had been called to Rocket Headquarters was odd enough in of itself. Now, in a modern world, all orders were relayed through burner phones and secure lines, not in person. In the back of all your minds is the strange feeling that, for whatever reason, you've been recalled to be, well, terminated. After all, since when did Ethan Halsey himself make personal requests?

    One by one you were all filed into the elevator with a conspicuous "Out of Order" sign on it. You'd think after however many months of that sign somebody would grow suspicious but, for whatever reason, nobody ever was.

    As you approach the office you can't help but notice how pedestrian it all seemed. Aside from the nameplate reading "Ethan Halsey" you never would have suspected that the room was the head of Team Rocket. No guards, no golden door; just another office.

    There is a short wait as Ethan presumably finishes an earlier meeting. Fortunately, a small TV is on the wall, apparently playing the news. Champion Paul Ticker, a man who would be more at home in his parent's basement than garbed in the Champion's Cloak, was pinning a badge on the chest of a pale, dark-haired woman with glasses.

    "In wake of Sabrina Natsume's... absence," the Champion says, either fumbling with the word or simply hungover (with him you could never tell), "I hereby appoint Artemis Frerin the Gym Leader of Saffron City."

    For whatever reason, the Champion does not seem particularly happy about the appointment, if his glare at Frerin is anything to go by. Still, he shakes her hand, although the mocking grin on Frerin's face does a bit to explain the Champion's frustration.

    Finally, after a few long minutes and dull speeches, the door to Ethan's office opens, Sabrina Natsume walking briskly away, not even regarding the Rocket agents. While she had not been seen as a Gym Leader for over twenty years, the former Leader has not seemed to age a day.

    "Next," you hear from within the room.

    As you all enter you see a lithe man with thick glasses sitting in a rather spartan chair. While he seems tired, as the small group enters he visibly brightens, placing a device upon his desk as the operatives enter. There seems to be no security, at least of the visible variety, but Gemini can clearly detect the psionic field between Ethan and the operatives and it doesn't take a detective to determine that there is something massive behind him.

    Without any proper introductions, Halsey begins to speak.

    "I'm nearly positive the five of you are wondering why exactly I brought you here today," Halsey states, idly tinkering with the device upon the table. "The answer, oddly enough, is this."

    With a push of a button, Halsey activates the device, a holographic globe appearing above the table.

    "This is our world. Up until three months ago, we believed here," he says, gesturing towards the image, "To simply be ocean, as our satellites said. As you can guess, that is obviously not the case."

    "A new continent,"
    he says, no dramatic flair involved, "One as-of-yet unexplored by the current regions. It seems similar in size to Hoenn. We don't know how it has escaped our notice for this long, especially in regard to our satellites. That is where you come in," Halsey says, eyes invisible behind his glasses.

    "We need information on the region. Who is in control? What makes their economy function? We have sent two operatives in the past but, unfortunately, we have yet to hear from them. For all intents and purposes they have disappeared," Halsey says, with perhaps a bit more emotion than his stoic facade would indicate?


    - .... . .-. . / .. ... / -.- -. --- .-- / .. -. -.. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. / - .... .- - / ... .-.. .- - . / .- -. -.. / ...- . .-. ... .- / .- .-. . / -.. . .- -..


    A red light rapidly blinks behind Halsey before he lifts a hand, cutting it off.

    "I know Mjolnir, I know."

    "As I was stating, we need information. You five are among the top operatives within Team Rocket and, as such, have highly technical skillsets. We want you to infiltrate this new region, find out what makes it tick. If you complete this job, well, you can pick and choose what you want for the rest of your life. As you know, Team Rocket rewards its agents handsomely. We have constructed enough of their language from hijacked signals to create a basic translation so that will not be an issue."

    "Now, all I need to know..."


    Halsey leans back in his chair, fingertips pressed together.

    "Are you in?"

    Episode 1: Calm Seas and Calmer Nights

    The boat rocked back and forth, over and over again. Halsey had you traveling in a boat, of all things. According to him, the previous two agents had gone in using an aircraft. As they had not been heard from for months and were, despite the machine's insistence, presumed dead, Halsey had decided that an aircraft would be too great a risk to the agents. Of course, that was a logical statement but it did little to alleviate the boredom aboard a ship for weeks at a time.

    Of course, there were things to do. Everyday lessons on Rocket's best guess at the new language was hammered into your reluctant skulls. The psychics seemed to have the easiest time of it, for whatever reason, but learning a language without much real baseline is understandably difficult and you are all positive that your accents are atrocious.

    Yet, while the trip may be rather dull, it is the dull of a good variety. No Gyarados leaping from the depths to sink the ship. The weather was warm without being painfully so, making the trip somewhat relaxing, oddly enough, despite the fact that you may never return.

    Up above the familiar hum of robotics can be heard. One of the nine Genesects currently possessed by Rocket had been assigned as an escort, intended to keep threats away, a fact that most of the crew was thankful for. Most had seen them in action during the war, thankfully fighting for Rocket's side and calling them a weapon of mass destruction would be an understatement. The only thing that had managed to go toe-to-toe with the robots was Mewtwo and, frankly, the psionic Pokemon had been far too unstable to make a practical weapon as the entire world had soon learned.

    And so, the group moves on, the hum of the Genesect and the boat accompanying the sounds of Rocket sailors on the deck, giving each member more than enough time to review their objective files.

    Spoiler: Cyril Theron
    Show
    Name: Cyril Theron
    Objective: Exploration of the new continent. Enclosed within are the proper accolades and information to pose as a rich big game hunter traveling from the lands across the sea. Your primary objective is to focus on the wildlife of the new continent, capturing samples in order to allow Rocket to discern what is different about the life on the new continent. A cover alias is not required; nobody within the new region should have the capacity to identify you. As a secondary objective, attempt to place yourself within the local criminal faction and gather information.

    Enclosed are various small badges and various photos of Cyril posed with large, unconscious Pokemon of various species propped up in humorous poses, clearly intended to be his quarry.


    Spoiler: Talitha mi-Chelicerata
    Show
    Name: Talitha mi-Chelicerata
    Objective: You will be posing as the representative of the Virdian Nation, a fictitious group comprised of the various tribes that currently reside within your homeland. Hopefully this role should not prove too difficult. You will attempt to integrate yourself into the high society of the new region or, if that proves to be unsuccessful, integrate yourself with the local tribes in the area in order to build rapport among the local populace. As a secondary objective, analyze the local Bug life, a task that you should find rather entertaining.

    Inside are various credentials and identifying badges, clearly labeling you as the representative of the Virdian Nation.


    Spoiler: Xavier Enkea
    Show
    Name: Xavier Enkea
    Objective: Your objective is to pose as a member of the Kanto media, sent with the first group of travelers in order to report on the current situation to people at home. Of course, your true objective is simply what it has been all along: Gather information. Your primary objectives will be the gathering of said information while also finding a way to relay that information back to us in Kanto. For whatever reason, it would appear that the new continent blocks even satellite information, meaning your task may be extremely difficult.

    Enclosed within are various media credentials.


    Spoiler: Conwenna
    Show
    Name: Conwenna
    Objective: Within the new region your objective is simple: Find the local criminal element and, through the use of your talents, find your way inside in order to gain rapport among the criminal element. As a secondary objective you are to attempt to recruit a new Team Rocket, this time within the new region, in order to create a local base of operations for when operations in the new region begin in earnest. While it may be obvious, do whatever is required to accomplish these objectives.

    In addition, hunt for any Kantoans that have fled to the new region. While unlikely, there is a small chance that we are not the first ones here. Gemini Castor will be tasked to assist you in this matter.


    Instead of credentials or new information, there is simply a handwritten note with WHATEVER IS NEEDED scrawled on it.


    Spoiler: Gemini Castor
    Show
    Name: Gemini Castor
    Objective: Within the new region your objective is simple: Find the local criminal element and, through the use of your talents, find your way inside in order to gain rapport among the criminal element. As a secondary objective you are to attempt to recruit a new Team Rocket, this time within the new region, in order to create a local base of operations for when operations in the new region begin in earnest. In order to facilitate the best possible chance at success in this endeavor, your implants have been removed save for the essential ones. Do not abuse your newfound freedom.

    In addition, you are to assess the current status of psionic prowess and psionic technology within the region in order to determine if it may be used as a weapon. Conwenna has been tasked to assist you in your primary objective.

    The pain from the removal of your old implants has all but faded as have the scars and, yet, the dull ache in the back of your head, as if something is missing, is more than slightly annoying.


    Spoiler: All
    Show
    This is a chance to post what your character would be doing with their endless free time, whether it shooting things, twiddling their thumbs or just standing idly about. This is your chance to continue to establish who exactly your character is.
    Last edited by Arcran; 2014-07-24 at 09:56 PM.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Xavier kept himself busy in the weeks before they made landfall. He constructed a set of four "outfits" for use while on assignment, each one geared towards a specific espionage concept. The first was his "general" reporter's outfit: a button-down blue shirt with a white tie, khakis, and cheap loafers. A brown, short-haired wig, blue contacts, and light tan foundation completed the look, allowing him to become a nondescript on-the-streets reporter relatively quickly.

    The second outfit was his "sports" reporter. This outfit was a full grey suit complete with green, blue, or red tie, button-down black shirt, and black shoes with modest, nearly-unnoticeable lifts, giving him and extra inch of stature. The entire suit was carefully padded, giving Xavier the physique of a minor athlete gone slightly to seed with age rather than his true utterly average build. A wig with shoulder-length black hair, deep amber contacts, dark tan foundation, and a fake Sharpedo-tooth earring rounded out the former-athlete-turned-reporter persona, allowing Xavier access to contests of strength and skill of people--and more importantly, of Pokemon.

    The third outfit was a generalized "contest" reporter's outfit. Stylish but understated black pinstripe pants followed by a muted grey dress shirt formed the basis of the outfit, with purple contacts. The accessories were specialized for each Contest: roll up the sleeves, put on some sweat-soaking wristbands, a bald cap, and a fake eyebrow scar for Tough; fake Evee ears, brown wig, and a dopey grin for Cute; wraparound grey shades, slicked back midnight blue wig, and a faux-expensive watch for Cool; square-rimmed glasses, a red short wig, and a pocket protector for Smart; and jangling wristbands, flowing shoulder-length white wig, and a whitened smile for Beauty, along with a judicious use of cosmetics.

    The final outfit was his "nondescript", which he packed for every mission. Blue jeans, a plain black T-shirt, grey hoodie, and sneakers for the clothes, with grey contacts, light green hair, and paler foundation. Most of the Trainers starting their journey were younger than even he was, and looking like them was the best way to vanish into the crowds, he found.

    "Who knows what the locals actually wear, though," Xavier muttered to himself, looking critically over his choices near the end of the trip. All of these costumes would have to be revised as soon as they hit the new Region, but a baseline was always good to start with.

    Xavier made sure to talk with all of his teammates as they headed towards the new shores, getting a feel for their strengths and weaknesses as best he could. He made sure that they knew how to recognize his three reporter costumes, though he kept the "nondescript" to himself, as always. It's best to have a fallback for everything, he reasoned.

    Each day, Xavier made sure to train with Morrigan and Ammit, running the two mon through their drills and exercises. He also checked in with Morrigan every morning and evening, making sure that her premonitions sensed no oncoming doom.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Cyril sighed. A lot. For most of the journey. Every time someone called his name, or started a conversation. Every time he woke up only to see endless ocean. If anyone was stir crazy on the boat, it was Cyril.

    Cyril, as much as he dreaded conversation with people, made a point of getting to know his teammates in his own curt manner. Talitha, she was an odd one. Somewhat of a kindred spirit, their conversations were brief and to the point. Starting off, he liked her and enjoyed her 'company' so much as two loners enjoy company. The bug stuff was frankly a little unsettling. He had no issues with the oddities of pokemon, even Bugs, but she took it to another level.

    Xavier. Xavier, Cyril already disliked before talking to him. If not for individuals like Sabrina, Cyril wouldn't believe in Psychic powers or any such things. He believed in what he could see. His title as a "fortune teller" didn't help Xavier in Cyril's eyes. Even more so than normal, Cyril was brief with the man, and made a point of avoiding him.

    Conwenna was interesting. They had at least one thing in common, though she was much more focused on fighting, while he was focused on fighting. If he were to tolerate someone, she'd be the best compliment to his abilities. Overall, Conwenna and Cyril were neutral. She would at least be useful in the field.

    Gem... Gem confused Cyril more than anything. By her appearance, she looked too sickly to be out of bed, not going out and exploring a possibly hostile region. To make matters worse, she was some kind of Psychic. He feared she would not survive the boat ride. And if she did, she would fall to the first foreign disease that came their way. To some degree, Cyril felt pity for her, being on what he believed a suicide mission for her. While it was likely suicide for the others and himself, they had a chance. Gem likely didn't. Though after talking with Gem for a while (longer than any the others), his pity only grew.

    Cyril's time, when not talking to the others (which was most of the time) was spent watching, waiting, scanning, pacing, racing and some light sparring. But mostly waiting. It was so dreadfully slow and the boat was so dreadfully boring. With that metal Pokemon above them, he couldn't even try his hand at fishing. Nothing had the guts to get near enough for a line. Overall, the boat ride was slow, boring, and annoying.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Talitha observes her co-workers for the coming job. An eclectic group, as always. It seems that they would all be acting independently together. Mingling in high society? Was she really the operative to choose for that? Certainly one of the more pterygota-like operatives could fare better. The information broker, for example. Then again, he had his own role. No matter. This was her job, she would perform it to her utmost.

    The others treated her like everyone else did. Useful, helpful, but clearly unsettling. Irrelevant. Friendship was not needed for the job at this time. If it developed, so much the better. If not, no loss. Cyril's attempts at friendly behavior were awkward for all involved. It seemed clear that he and her had little in common aside from lack of sociability, hardly something to build an alliance on. Still, it was a sign of being cooperative. This however was counteracted by his complaints of boredom. Hastiness. Proof that any positive trait taken to an extreme can become negative. A shame.

    Observing the others, they ran the full spectrum.

    The broker, Xavier, reminded her of the aspects of outsider society that she despised, especially with his numerous outfits, even if she consciously knew those were part of the job. The outsiders would call him ambitious; a tribe member would call it dissatisfaction, or even disloyalty if it were serious enough. But, it was not her place to judge. His morals were not those of her upbringing, an uncomfortable but recurring experience for the chelicerata.

    On the other end was Gemini. Mission oriented, an outcast who didn't wallow in it. She had a quiet respect for the telekinetic experiment. She considered getting to know Gemini more, if nothing else than out of a curiosity of how she differed from the rest of these people. Less positively, her ragged appearance did give cause for concern. Would she survive the first sign of danger? This doubt was reinforced by the complaints of illness due to the motion of the boat. If a simple boat trip caused this, what of actual stress? Obviously Gemini had proved her worth to Ethan, but she didn't look it. Oh well, he had his reasons.

    Conwenna and Cyril she mentally lumped together: Strong combatants with differing specialties. No doubt the former would end up outfitting them with basic weaponry later, while the latter would likely serve a similar role of any ambush operations that are needed. Conwenna was an interesting one. Her ownership of a Scyther caused her immediate interest in the weapons designer, though her attitude was off-putting enough that Talitha decided the question could wait until later.

    Talitha spends much of her time practicing combat below deck. Killing blows, ensnaring prey, coordinating with Vespa and Taranto, as well as anyone who is interested. As they near land, she focuses more on practicing the new language, doing her best to adopt the accent. If she was to mingle in high society, she had to at least attempt to blend in somewhat. While tribal work would be easier, it was not the primary goal. By half way through the trip, there are several hammocks of webbing around the boat, much to the annoyance of the crew, though nobody voiced compalints to the crazy bug-woman. Did they honestly expected her to sleep on one of those uncomfortable, square bags of fluff and springs?
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2014-07-25 at 03:54 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Despite having access to more open sky and sea than she had ever seen in her life, Gemini spent most of the voyage either clenched in fetal position in her bunk or losing what little she ate overboard. Her newfound "freedom" was difficult to comprehend; she viewed the ship as just another kind of cell. The constant motion of the sea and the damp, salty atmosphere played havoc with her sinuses and stomach, and she complained about her chronic headaches and seasickness loud and often to anyone who gave her the chance. On top of that, the removal of her limiters and, more importantly, her collar, left her feeling constantly disoriented and unfocused. It had come as a surprise to Gem, though she had given no resistance to the surgeries. She had rarely given her handlers reason to employ their punitive measures, and the implants had become a familiar and comfortable weight over the years; without them, she felt naked and empty. By the second week, she was out-surlying the most grizzled sailors on board. The crew learned quickly to avoid her whenever she came on deck, but some of her teammates were more persistent. Gem didn't need telepathy to understand it wasn't for the sake of friendship; though it wasn't uncommon for Rocket teams to form strong bonds, the young psychic held no illusions about how inapproachable she was.

    For her part, Gem was nominally interested in learning what her new teammates were capable of, at the very least enough to do her job properly, though she did so more via sifting through surface thoughts than actual conversation. Any attempts at socialization they initiated were met with little sharing of personal information; she answered any questions asked that she knew the answer to, but offered no information on her own. The other psychic on board was an interesting puzzle, but curiosity had been drilled out of the girl at a young age. Conwenna in particular she made more than minimal effort to speak with, since the woman had apparently been assigned as her direct commander for the mission; or at least, Gem always assumed she was meant to take a subservient role in any partnership. She wasn't sure yet what to make of Halsey's offer of reward; she had never been "rewarded" for any of her previous missions beyond basic sustenance, reading material, and a place to live. The idea of freedom was as foreign to her as the region they were travelling to.

    Her Pokemon remained contained during the voyage, both accustomed to long stays in their Pokeballs until they were needed.
    Last edited by gearHead; 2014-07-25 at 03:52 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yeah, not sure how an edit turned into a double post. :/
    Last edited by gearHead; 2014-07-25 at 03:52 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Aneurin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Conwenna

    In her cabin, Con pauses a moment - rifling tool in hand - as she tries to find a rhythm in the rocking of the ship. After all the work she's put into the damn things, she's not going to louse up a simple barrel correction on her .33 because she's too impatient to wait for the waves to settle enough not to jog her arm. At least the others don't seem to bother her in her cabin - not that she particularly minds them, but doing something fiddly with someone leaning over your shoulder is quite irritating when you want to get it right.

    The ship lurches again, and she sighs. Apparently she's not going to get to do any more work until they hit shore, so she carefully puts the gun back down and methodically cleans and reassmbles the pieces - there's no telling when she'll need it next, and no excuse for being sloppy. Without conscious direction, her hands locate her cigarettes, pull one out and light it. Then they pour her a whisky. She goes to stand by the porthole, or starboard hole, or whatever the hell it's called. The window.

    So... she thinks, staring across the ocean, or possibly the sea. A team.

    It's something of a new experience to be working with other humans. Pokemon, certainly - and not a problem. Docile, for a given value of docile, and thanks to their training somewhat predictable. With a human, though... with a human you never quite know if they'll throw themselves into your line of fire in the deeply mistaken belief they're helping. It's going to take time to learn them; learn their routines, and figure out how they'll react when their lives are on the line - and unfortunately there's not a great deal of opportunity to learn that on a ship. Which means it will be trial by combat, which is jsut going to be messy.

    Staring out over the wet-thing-that-might-be-an-ocean, Conwenna sighs to herself. She hopes - really and truly hopes - that there isn't anyone on the team who takes pleasure in carnage and slaughter, death and destruction. Dealing with that could be problematic to say the least.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    And so days pass, common in their dull monotony, regular in their routine.

    That is, until a day comes when things are slightly less than regular.

    It all starts early in the morning when Xavier releases his two Pokemon for training. Ammit seemed to be fairly typical but Morrigan, well, to say that she went insane upon being released would be an understatement. For the Xatu, natural disasters were commonly regarded with a sense of unease, the Xatu often alerting Xavier without any fuss.

    This episode, however, can only be described as pure terror.

    As the bird flies about the deck, telekinetic power toppling boxes and generally acting a nuisance, a voice comes on over the speakers.

    "This is your Captain speaking," it begins, a fairly redundant statement. Captain Amara's voice was distinctive with the rasp and the general sound of nails on a chalkboard. The crew claimed that a Kingler had cut the Captain's throat open long ago but with sailors who can know the truth?

    "We have just lost all radio contact with headquarters. We're getting close folks," the Captain rasps, a rare tone of unease in her voice. Of course, that's completely understandable. After all, no radio contact meant that, should something bad happen, the crew would be on their own.

    "And get that damn bird under control!"

    Above the ship the constant whirr of the Genesect can be clearly heard.

    Spoiler: Perception DC 14
    Show
    Far out on the horizon, hardly visible, a few choice, fluffy clouds linger in the otherwise clear sky. They seem benign enough although the stark contrast of white on the otherwise blue sky is more shocking than would seem the norm.

    Spoiler: Survival DC 18
    Show
    While the clouds seem benign enough anybody with a great deal of knowledge about the weather can clearly tell that they are as far from benign as they come. While inland that formation of clouds would likely be a simple rainstorm out at sea? That meant a storm, and if the size of the clouds was anything to go by it would not be a small one.


    Spoiler: Note
    Show
    If you read those without successfully making the check in the OoC first I will grind your bones to make my bread.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Upon seeing his bird panic, Xavier's eyes widen slightly, but he gives no other outward indication of worry. He swiftly recalls the Xatu, noting the horizon as he does so. I need to warn the Captain... another's word would bolster his own. He quickly flicked through his options.

    Cyril was discounted almost immediately. The man was a hardcore loner, and Xavier could tell the man disliked him. Talitha quickly followed; he had little to no information on the Chelicerata, and that scared him. She would be given a wide berth until he knew more. If they were heading into a storm, Gemini would be even more useless than she currently was on the ship, and he doubted the sickly Psychic had the social skills to support him with the captain anyways.

    That left Conwenna. As Xavier began to walk briskly towards Conwenna's cabin, he mulled over his choice. The "Holy Hound" was the most senior of the group, and her track record could not be ignored. She had her idiosyncrasies, but they were well documented, and Xavier thought he knew how to exploit them. He smiled quietly to himself. Conwenna was his best bet for an ally among this motley group, and it was better to start early or something to build into.

    By the time he reached Conwenna's room, the smile was gone, replaced by a worried frown. He knocked quickly on the cabin door, waiting for Conwenna to answer. "Conwenna, I need your help. My Xatu sensed a massive storm of some sort that's going to hit us very soon, and I need someone to back me up when I tell the captain," he said quickly, his words coming out in an urgent rush. "My...profession makes people less likely to trust me," he continued, wincing slightly as though his reputation pained him, "but you are known to be true to your word. Please, I wouldn't ask, but this ship is in serious danger and I've never known Morrigan to be wrong."

    Spoiler: Guile Roll
    Show
    To play the part of the concerned, conscientious info broker: (5d6+3)[23]
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Talitha heads up to the deck, Taranto sitting obediently on her shoulder. She stays in silent communication with the small tick as she stops her training to investigate the commotion on deck.
    Spoiler: Taranto's perception
    Show
    (3d6+2)[14]

    The Joltik taps her shoulder, pointing towards a cloud formation in the distance. Storm clouds... Muk. That's not good. Without further delay, she runs to find the navigator.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2014-07-25 at 08:08 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Frak. Cyril noticed the looming clouds on one of his many trips to sigh at empty ocean. He knew those clouds. They were storm clouds and they were nasty sort. And out at sea, with no solid ground, it was going to very rough. Fraking crap! Cyril dashed from his perch on the forward bow, heading towards the helm. Captain Amara! There's a storm approaching from the East! Cyril called out as he ran, for anyone to hear.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2014-07-25 at 08:32 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    "Urk..." Gem was on deck when they lost radio contact, sitting with her back to the rail and her arms wrapped tight around her shins, rocking slowly back and forth in a vain attempt to counter the boat's own swaying. Her hands were clenching each other so tightly that her usually pink and dry-skinned knuckles had gone white. The 'fresh' ocean air was doing little to alleviate the twisting of her guts, but there was no one nearby to moan about it to at the moment. She was almost ready to consider letting one of the Pokemon out to gripe at for a while when her gaze happened to be drawn upwards, noticing the billowing clouds in the distance. The weather was not normally something Gem paid much attention to - rain or sun, being outside was pretty much 100% miserable for her - but before she could even begin to speculate if the clouds would make the air even more humid someone's bird went crazy. Gem winced, gritting her teeth as she tried to block out its intense psychic distress. Everyone else began scrambling across the ship, and she overheard a couple of her teammates shouting warnings about a storm.

    Gem pulled her legs in tighter, groaning as she shover her head between her knees. "Awesome! As if this tub wasn't enough of a queasfest." She'd been better off in the lab - at least it had been clean, quiet, and motionless. "Got my own problems, but what's everyone else so worked up about? Sure these sea dogs've seen their share of nasty weather." She muttered to no one in particular - whoever happened to be close enough to hear - for all Gem knew she was spitting uselessly into the wind. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Last edited by gearHead; 2014-07-25 at 10:46 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Aneurin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Conwenna

    The door opens almost as Xavier's first knock connects - she'd actually been about to leave after battening down the booze, and making sure her ammunition press wasn't in danger of coming loose. Conwenna listens intently to Xavier for a moment, then nods decisively.

    "I saw it too. I'm sure the captan is already aware, but there's no harm in being doubly sure," she says, twisting her body slightly in a you-go-first-because-you're-in-my-way gesture. As they walk, she gives Xavier a slightly odd look; "How do you manage without a reputation for honesty?" she asks after a moment of silence. Honour amongst thieves may be total nonsense, but reputation is important outside of the law where trust is a scarce commodity.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Cyril and Talitha


    As the operatives burst in to the command center Amara turns, shouting at Cyril and Talitha.

    "What the frak do you think you're doing!" she screeches until somebody points out the storm to her.

    "Frak," she repeats, the rage gone from. "How the hell did we miss that?" She snatches the microphone from the table, speaking rapidly.

    "This is the captain. We have a large storm approaching from the east; repeat, large storm approaching."

    Down on the deck, sailors begin moving about, lashing down everything and generally preparing for the storm.

    "Non-essential personnel should remain in their cabins until this all blows over."

    As the storm approaches, the clouds turn from white to black in a matter of seconds, huge flashes of light visible even from this far away. If the look on Amara's face is anything to go by, that's not how a storm should be behaving.

    "You all are going to want to go to your rooms," she says, face blanching as she turns back to Talitha and Cyril. "It's going to be a big one."

    "Whelst!" she shouts, turning to the navigator. "Set a course due south. Let's see if we can dodge the damn thing!"

    Gemini

    As you muse on the deck, the chuckle of a large sailor some ways behind you is the only indication you were heard. The man seems about to speak until something comes over the intercom.

    "This is the captain. We have a large storm approaching from the east; repeat, large storm approaching."

    Soon followed by:

    "Non-essential personnel should remain in their cabins until this all blows over."

    The sailors quickly make their way across the deck, hurriedly beginning to work. In the distance, massive grey clouds can be seen, the flashes of light visible even from distance. The ship turns almost ninety degrees, clearly intending to try to outpace the storm.

    Xavier and Conwenna


    As the two of you make your way towards the command deck, an announcement comes on over the intercom.


    "This is the captain. We have a large storm approaching from the east; repeat, large storm approaching."

    Soon followed by:

    "Non-essential personnel should remain in their cabins until this all blows over."

    A burly sailor nearly knocks the two of you over as he races down the hallway, making his way towards the deck. You feel the ship turn abruptly, likely to attempt to outrun the storm.
    Last edited by Arcran; 2014-07-26 at 12:30 PM.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Xavier turns and walks quickly towards the navigation room, smiling slightly as he answers Conwenna's question. "My superiors know that my information is always sound, and act on it as such. Others, on the other hand... well, they see a fortune teller with a vast array of disguises and a knack for getting information that is closely guarded, and they draw their own conclusions," he ends with a sigh.

    As the announcement comes on over the radio, Xavier's eyes flash quickly with annoyance, swiftly covered by a wide smile. "Oh, good! One of the others must have seen it too. I guess we don't" he is cut off by the sailor nearly bowling them both over. "I guess we should head back to our cabins, then. I'm not sure about you, but I'd only be in the way," he says, gesturing towards the retreating sailor for emphasis.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2014-07-26 at 01:01 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Aneurin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Conwenna

    Glancing up at the speaker's announcement she gives a short shrug and stepping out of the way of the hurrying crewman.

    "Oh, well, good. That saves some time," she looks around for a moment. "I hope we get there soon," she adds without rancour. "There's only so much I can do on board ship, and parts are impossible to acquire if I don't already have them,"

    Con puases for a moment, looks blank, and goes to the old socialising fallback; "Drink?" she asks, miming a tipping glass. "Can't do anything to help, so might as well pass the time,"
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    "Cyril, I will follow you. Should anything happen, two people may be needed." She doesn't look like no is an answer.

    So with that, Talitha sticks to Cyril, keeping his door unlocked in case they had to move quickly. After a few consoling pheromone messages to Taranto, she begins to mentally plan for the worst. If they had to leave her room, what are the paths out? The primary exit is simple enough, no massive maze of corridors. Should that be unavailable, she could climb out the window and up the side of the ship, though that was risky in such choppy water. She had a bad sense, as though the ship wasn't going to make it to shore. Who could she carry? Most of them, but only one person without having trouble swimming. The sickly one would likely need help if they went over, being the highest risk. Should she be fine, the weapons specialist and the broker would be the next most likely to need help. And if a wild shows up...

    If-then-else scenarios spread out in her mind like a web. If she gets blocked off, if the ship sinks, if a team member goes overboard, if a wild attacks.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    "I'd be glad to," Xavier responds, smiling. Perhaps this storm won't be a total disaster, after all. "So, any speculations on the new region?" he asks, making general small-talk as he follows Conwenna back down. "The higher-ups must think it's pretty dangerous, judging by the team they've sent along. Excluding me, of course," he adds with a small chuckle.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Aneurin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Conwenna

    Back in the cabin, Con pours a couple of drinks, and flicks a record on. Scotch on the rocks, to ward off boat on the rocks with any luck.

    "No idea," she shrugs. "Not sure why they think there's anyone there, though. I hope it's inhabited; I'm not interested in wandering a deserted wasteland for weeks on end,"

    To be fair, she doesn't look like she's cut out for wilderness exploration, either; smart business casual is more her style. Grey suit jacket, white shirt and a dark slit-sided skirt with low-heeled black shoes. The innocuous professional look is somewhat disconcerting combined with the fact that the cabin appears to be a portable weapons factory. A press on the table, along with a scattering of brass cases, suggests that Con prefers to manufacture her own ammunition, and a full gun cleaning kit is laid out on a velvet roll on the desk.

    "Suspect I'm here to get you all out of any trouble you can't talk your way out of,"
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Xavier's eyes are a flurry of movement as he enters the cabin, taking in every detail that he can to familiarize himself with his potential ally. Definitely a professional. Makes her own weaponry, guns completely presiding... the reports were right. Probably not one to get in close and dirty with her marks, if the more expensive clothes are any indication. He accepts the drink and sits where he can, sipping the scotch appreciatively.

    "If there's no one there, my job becomes pretty much useless," he responds. "You can get some info from Pokemon, but that's not my specialty, and I'm not really the outdoorsy type either." He pauses for a moment, then decides that divulging a little info to get some in return is a good plan. It's nothing he's worried about anyways. "You've seen my disguises for this trip; I'm supposed to pose as a Kanto reporter and collect as much information as I can. It seems there's no sure way to get the info back to headquarters, so I'm planning to pose as a sports reporter and scope out the fastest and strongest Pokemon in this reason, then obtain them and send them back with my information to Kanto. It's dual-purpose: the higher-ups get their report, and the R&D crew get a new Pokemon to research." He paused again to sip the scotch on the rocks. "What do they have you doing here? I'm guessing it's more than just keeping all of us out of trouble."
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Cyril nods stiffly. He wasn't going to argue. If not for the captain's orders, he'd not even go to his room. Regardless, he made his way to his room, shutting the door. He didn't speak, instead making a point of tying down every thing he could, before nervously pacing and fiddling.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    "Quit panicking. It's out of your control. Just be ready to move when something goes wrong." He's no good to the team stressed out or dead.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    I'm not panicking. I'm pacing. I'm not used to sitting still for long. The one break in monotony on this trip and I'm confined to my cabin.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Managing to push herself to her feet, Gem fought against the deck that seemed to roll wildly under her feet - though it had grown no worse yet than it had been before the alarm was sounded. The only truly bad part was her legs almost buckling as the ship suddenly turned away from the oncoming clouds. Grumbling under her breath the whole way, she stumbled belowdecks, leaning heavily against the wall as she made her way down the corridor to her room. Every sailor that rushed past her earned a tirade of curses, largely ignored; they were obviously too busy to deal with her attitude, but that didn't stop her from wasting a few choice insults she'd been saving up for a couple weeks.

    Gem felt safer once she was in her bunk with the door closed - confined spaces usually had that effect on her - but another part of her, the part that was always focused no matter how miserable of a show she might be putting on, had enough presence of mind to make sure she had all her important possessions on her, including both her Pokeballs. Not that she had any personal property; just all the gear she'd been assigned for the mission. After a moment of hesitation, she tentatively reached out to Xavier. Hey, uh, you're the fortune-teller - just how bad is this storm gonna get? Gem was no clairvoyant herself, but even she could sense something wrong in the atmosphere.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Xavier winced slightly as Gemini's voice resounded in his head. "Sorry, incoming call," he says, tapping his temple and smiling. "Gemini's a bit worried about the storm is all."

    He thinks back to how Morrigan had reacted. He had never seen her panick like that; she was always cam and collected, even shy. Either this storm wasn't natural, or something else was coming. This storm is going to be bad, but the sailors were trained to handle this, he answers, trying to downplay his own worries to keep them from bleeding over the psychic connection. Best be on our guard, though. I'm getting a feeling that the storm may not be all our worries.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Arcran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    On a Charizard
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    As the three groups are confined to their cabins, they slowly feel the waves chopping against the side of the ship harder and harder. They don't seem to be doing much to actually disrupt the ship but they certainly make fine tasks, such as getting a drink, somewhat more difficult.

    Should anybody look out the porthole, however, they'd be met with the sight of the storm not being far to the east, as it should be with the change in direction, but actually closer to the ship, although whether that is simply the sheer size of the storm or something else is impossible to tell.

    Still, even from the great distance it still is from the ship, giant cracks of lightning can be seen, illuminating the dark of the storm for the briefest of seconds at a time.

    Up above, shouting can be heard, although it's impossible to make out the words through the ship.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    This storm. It's not normal. It shouldn't have gotten so dark so quickly. We should be skirting its outer edge, but its right here. Cyril absent-mindedly tapped his fingers on the porthole as he stared out.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2014-07-26 at 11:00 PM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Xavier glanced casually out the porthole, then did a double take and stared intently. "Is... is the storm following us?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Claircognizant, Dailyx3: Instead of making an Education or Intuition Check, you may make a Perception Check instead and use the result.

    Perception (to see if Xavier can 'see' anything about sentient storms): (4d6+3)[15]
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Esprit15's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Talitha nods, and goes to open the door, Taranto shuddering on her shoulder. "Follow me if I'm not back in a minute," she says to the outsider.

    Talitha crawls along the upper portion of the wall to stay out of anyone's way, heading to the source of shouting. Losing any crew would be bad for travel.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

    Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show


    By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Aneurin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK

    Default Re: Team Rocket: The Next Generation

    Conwenna

    As she listens to Xavier, Con nods to herself.

    "Interesting," she says after a moment. "Halsey talked about a language and translations, so I would assume there are people there," she hesitates, considering how much to reveal; it's hardly anything sensitive or secret, but if it wasn't common knowledge...

    Well. Halsey will have to live with it.

    "I'm establishing Rocket's presence in the new region, and searching for Kantoan expats," she frowns at a sudden thought; could Real Rocket be in the region? They have been quiet recently, and it would make sense to hunt them down even this far away...

    "What?" she looks up, startled from her thoughts by Xavier's talk of a 'call'. She gives him an odd look as he stares into space.

    "It... what?" Conwenna stares out the porthole for a moment. "Oh. So it is. Wonderful," she glares sullenly at the porthole, the storm and then the sloshing bottle. That's going to make drinking it more difficult.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •