Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Aegis Tristalt Out-of-Character

Feel free to discuss among yourselves here, ask me relevant questions, speculate on the plot and world, etc.
    I tend to play off of the ideas of players, so activity here will be helpful to me both for generating interesting and personal material, as well as attempting to maintain verisimilitude.

As far as colors for speech, I will use random assortments of colors that may or may not overlap with your own choices, should you choose to use colors for your own speech. If they do, don't worry about it. I'm merely doing it to distinguish NPCs, but context and quotation marks will always be present to inform you which NPC is expressing what dialogue.

Spoiler: The Big 16, again
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, tri-gestalt (tristalt) game.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Generic-y Medieval Setting, you guys are going to be reincarnated heroes born into a small kingdom, please have a reason why your characters would accept an invitation to the capital to see the King. You can know that you are a reincarnated hero, or not. Most Spellcasters proficient in Divinations could tell you if they investigated, a skilled Diviner or similar could tell simply by being near you.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Two to four dedicated players who can post at least once per day. I don't want to take more than four players, so if I have more than four submissions I will base it on how well I like the character... yes, that's super subjective. Sorry, I don't have better criteria for it.

Providing a full 20 build so I can see where you're going/make plot hooks around the specific characters/incorporate lore related to the characters will help.

Please be dedicating to posting at a rate of approximately once per day. If something comes up, let me know if you can.
    If you haven't posted within a day and it's your turn in combat or the like, I will delay your turn to the end of the round, at which point I will temporarily NPC-ify your character and attempt to use tactics that are sensible for your character/your playstyle. If it's in a non-combat situation, your character will be with the party but not really there, mentally. He'll contribute reasonably if actions are suggested by other members of the party.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

OOTS

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Starts 6th level. Mid level was requested, and I intend to accelerate XP gain beyond what would be RAW for 3.5.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

WBL for level 6, use the PF table, since I don't think the 3.5 one is on the SRD (I don't remember finding it) and the PF one is more anyway.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Party composition isn't all that important to me.
    Prestige classes are allowed in all three trees of the gestalt at the same time. Dual progression PrCs are allowed. Pathfinder and Dreamscarred Press material will be allowed, but it's possible you might have to hold my hand when it comes to some of it; I'm not super well versed with those. Dragon Magazine and Homebrew will be allowed on a case-by-case basis.

For Dragon Magazine, I mostly need to be able to find the text for myself, so presenting me a way to do so will help your cause. If I'm already familiar with it, I'll probably ok it.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All official 3.5 allowed. If you want something from Pathfinder let me know, I'll probably be ok with it.
    RHD and LA take up level slots, they can't be bought off. (ie, Fighter/Ranger/LA +1 might be a level)

Try to make it reasonable, you'll want to be able to pass in a standard fantasy town without having the guards scream "Monster attack!"

Inherited templates can be taken as much as you want for the first six levels, but afterwards, only acquired templates can be gained. If you want specific templates later let me know and we'll try to figure out how to fit in story-wise.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    44 (3.5) point-buy for stats. I don't like rolling.
    HP is full first three levels, after that it's Roll a die half your HD+half your HD. (ie. for a D4, you'd roll 1d2+2, for a d6 1d3+3, d8 is 1d4+4, et cetera)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment not in place for players, ignore alignment requirements on classes, prestige classes, feats, spells, etc.
    They will be in place for monsters for the cases of DR/evil (and the like), smite evil, protection from chaos, and other such effects.
    Any bizarre interactions with this will be dealt with when they arrive.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multi-classing XP penalties are stupid. Multi-class your hearts out.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Make your rolls on the forum in spoiler tags, please label what the roll is for, and if you think a roll is justified, don't wait for me to call for it, just go ahead and roll it.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

It's a Tristalt Game.

Fractional BAB/Saves will be in effect. (Unearthed Arcana)

Thirst/Hunger rules/carrying capacity are generally going to be ignored. Unless it's totally unreasonable, assume you're in light load even if you're not. I'll be adjudicating what's "totally unreasonable."

XP will be coming quite a bit faster than it would in a normal game. I'll be adjusting how much additional XP is gained from completing challenges based on how difficult they actually turned out to be, but even if you steamroll it/circumvent it with absolutely no problem, you'll get XP. If the group solves a challenge in a particular creative or cool way, XP will be increased.

For XP components/item crafting, you may multiply the XP by 5 and sacrifice that much GP instead. (If your spell requires 250xp, instead lose 1250gp)

Everybody gets two extra feats at first level as if you had taken two flaws. But the flaws are usually lame and don't have a significant impact on the character anyway, so we're going to skip that part unless you want to put flaws on your character.

We'll be using Pathfinder's feat progression. Yes, prepare to be swimming in feats.

Everybody can take up to two Unearthed Arcana or Pathfinder traits.

Magic-Mart will, generally, be in effect. Candles of Invocation do not exist. You likely will need to get to a town to access the magic-mart. Magic-mart will be done in a kind of Tippy-esque style; Magic item stores will basically have nothing in them, when you ask for a specific item the owner will use his contacts to find a seller across various Planar Metropolises. Only a select few get initiated into the operation of the Magic-Marts.

Everybody will have a Handy Haversack of effectively unlimited extradimensional size. Anything I think you could reasonably stuff into the mouth of a large backpack, you may carry without limits.

You will automatically receive WBL upon level up, simply add the difference between the level you are now and the level before and add it to your funds. You will also likely find loot and magic items throughout the course of the game, this you may sell or do with as the group pleases.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Once again, you need a reason why you are/would accept an invitation to go to meet the king of your home kingdom, you may know or not know that you are reincarnated heroes. A few lines is enough, if you want to add more, add more. If you want to add items into the setting, feel free to do so as long as it's sensible (nothing like Space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of the starship... that doesn't fit).

Make sure your characters have motivations that make sense for getting into adventuring. At least one is mandatory.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Largely hack-n-slash, with elements of other playstyles, social intrigue and exploration/discovery being important secondary factors.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Again, all 3.5 material is allowed. Pathfinder and Dreamscarred Press will be allowed, but inform me of their use so I can try to learn a bit about it, and I may need you to explain things. Dragon Mag is generally available as long as it's not super borked, and I can find the material. Homebrew is available on a case-by-case basis.

Various Notes:
    On characters: I'm more interested in interesting characters (especially if their mechanics interact in interesting/cool ways) than powerful ones. I reserve the right to ask you to play something else if I don't think I will be able to challenge your character or provide meaningful interaction with the game world.

On my style: when I present an obstacle, I do not predetermine solutions for overcoming that obstacle. The more creative/effective you are in coming up with solutions, the better! But it also means there may be obstacles that are simply too challenging. Use your discretion on what you want to try to tackle.

On PvP: Unless both players agree, don't do it. Try to cooperate!

Spoiler: Table of Character Submissions
    Show
    Player Character
    Mousedigits Trasil
    NecroticPlague Arknid Sanshrew
    Ishcumbeebeeda "Hresh"
    TempestFury Kenpachi
    Mechagaston Millyardo
    Bluydee Hercules
    Silver Night Kasha
    whoiam Renia and Wizard spells
    Doxkid Matthew
    Flinn_Furious Nathaniel
    General Patton Sahael
    Yas392 Xiao
    Drako_Beoulve Enzo
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2015-04-03 at 03:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Aegis Tristalt Out-of-Character

Heracles is using maroon, for his speech color.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha will be using Magenta

Edit: I'm off to work right now, will probably post IC when I get back
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-25 at 10:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Trasil will take Gray.
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Wraith raspy growls come out looking like #66.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I find it somewhat odd that you chose to see the king as the Wraith, rather than as Nathaniel, Flinn_Furious.
    With an Int score of 14, it would be reasonable to have figured out that whoever determined you as a reincarnated hero might know both of your identities, though it might create some issue with the other nobles should you have an audience with the king with a bunch of random people.

So, I'm curious as to your reasoning for going as your mercenary persona rather than your nobleman persona.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I don't suppose I could get a houserule that Walker in the Waste advances rebuking? I'm asking for reasons totally unrelated to the creepy tomb we are being sent into.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't see any reason why it would, by fluff or theme. Deserts usually aren't associated with Undead/Necromancy, even if there are some desert-themed undead.

So I've got two questions on your request

Do you have any alternate fluff for the PrC that might cause it to make sense to?
    and
    What do you plan to do with it/why do you want that?

(Depending, it may also be possible to find a custom magic item to serve the same purpose. Perhaps from the King's treasury maybe?)
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-07-25 at 10:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    I find it somewhat odd that you chose to see the king as the Wraith, rather than as Nathaniel, Flinn_Furious.
    With an Int score of 14, it would be reasonable to have figured out that whoever determined you as a reincarnated hero might know both of your identities, though it might create some issue with the other nobles should you have an audience with the king with a bunch of random people.

So, I'm curious as to your reasoning for going as your mercenary persona rather than your nobleman persona.
    Nathaniel Treble is a big waste of space. He plays the harp and couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. Taking part of a conference with other reincarnated heroes would be a fairly big warning sign that there might be more to him, something Wraith has spent a lot of time trying to dissuade. As for the discovery of his past, the oracle in question worked for his shadowy bosses.

To anyone interested, with Aegis' express permission, I will be changing the five levels of ninja in my character with five levels of Stalker. He made mention of similar allowances, so I suppose now would be the time to ask.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    I don't see any reason why it would, by fluff or theme. Deserts usually aren't associated with Undead/Necromancy, even if there are some desert-themed undead.

So I've got two questions on your request

Do you have any alternate fluff for the PrC that might cause it to make sense to?
    and
    What do you plan to do with it/why do you want that?

(Depending, it may also be possible to find a custom magic item to serve the same purpose. Perhaps from the King's treasury maybe?)
    Well, the capstone of the class is that you become undead. It also has a class feature where you create undead (Salt Mummy). I would just be thinking of using it to actually rebuke undead we might run into. Turning/Rebuking tends to get less useful without investment, but as soon as you have a class that doesn't actually advance your 'turning level' it is instantly useless basically (except for powering divine feats, which is what I'm using it for right now). It's all good if you decide no - just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Considering I've allowed Flinn_Furious to rebuild his character somewhat, and you do make a good point that it allows you to create undead minions (salt mummy), so I'm going to allow Walker in the Waste to progress Turn/Rebuke Undead as if it were levels of Cleric. I'll be inclined to allow similar things if/when Mousedigits and Bluydee decide they wish to ask for such.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, on the subject of undead: Are we running it Pathfinder where anything but Elementals and oozes can be critted, or 3.5, where undead and constructs can't be critted, either. I mean, If you hit a construct and pop a gear out, that'd be a critical hit. Golems have weaker points, stress points, in the rock they are made of.
    Extended Signature

Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Waiting on Bluydee for a post, should there be none, we'll continue on with the story tomorrow, his character temporarily NPC-ified.

On your request Mousedigits, I'll consider this your similar benefit to what the others are getting and allow Undead, Constructs and Plants to be subject to critical hits and sneak attack and the like.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Well, my computer crashed and so I couldn't post while fixing it, and now it looks like I magically poofed into existence.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Nah, you were there the whole time. Definitely.
    And no sweat on the computer crash, things happen.

Typically, if a player is unable to post for any reason, when I NPC-ify their character, they will be entirely silent, only taking reasonably safe actions at the party's behest or contributing in combat as would make sense. Generally, the only time they will speak is an event like, say, hypothetically, Silver Night was unavailable to post and someone asked her character "What do you make of this magical symbol?", in which event I would roll Knowledge:Arcana or Spellcraft or other relevant skill and have the character state the information they know. I only do that to ensure the game moves along steadily, since I don't like controlling player characters when DMing, generally.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Exciting! Being covered in spiders.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Forgot:

Knowledge (Nature) for knowledge about the spiders and spiderlings (I think I do only the 1 roll or all of them, though I can do more if you'd like.) and for Knowledge Devotion: (1d20+13)[24]

Can I still take a move action to step back or to the side? And would it take my out of the spider swarm? Also, when you said 'tiny' was that the actual size? Since tiny swarms aren't totally immune to weapon damage.
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-29 at 12:40 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

So I'll be out of town for the week, and if I can get any internet I'll probably forget to check here, so you can just npc my character for the time being right now.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps someone else's character could step in for a week, since Heracles is clearly stuck in a moment of bewilderment and self-discovery?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, flinn, we don't get 4th level spells yet, I don't think... Especially not Magi.
    Extended Signature

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by General Patton View Post
    Perhaps someone else's character could step in for a week, since Heracles is clearly stuck in a moment of bewilderment and self-discovery?
    Perhaps.
    Current players, would you want this? There will be a reasonable time to add another player temporarily in the near future. If everybody expresses a desire to have a temporary replacement, feel free to vote on another submitted character who you would like to see cameo'd. (character submission table)

Quote Originally Posted by Mousedigits View Post
    Wait, flinn, we don't get 4th level spells yet, I don't think... Especially not Magi.
    He has D-door and Fly as 3/d special abilities from something or other. I'm not precisely sure where, since I'm not especially familiar with PF material. I'm trusting the players to follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Night View Post
    Forgot:

Knowledge (Nature) for knowledge about the spiders and spiderlings (I think I do only the 1 roll or all of them, though I can do more if you'd like.) and for Knowledge Devotion: [roll0]

Can I still take a move action to step back or to the side? And would it take my out of the spider swarm? Also, when you said 'tiny' was that the actual size? Since tiny swarms aren't totally immune to weapon damage.
    That's actually the wrong Knowledge. You'd need to roll Arcana for Magical Beasts. They didn't register on detect magic because they don't have any magic auras.

You definitely could 5ft step or move action away out of the swarm after the spell, though moving back before your spell would make it nigh impossible to catch the swarm with Color Spray without your allies. You're actually where the iron block was, so there's not much space to the sides (about 10ft wide of which you're occupying half). If you move forward, you would enter the sticky web coating on the floor.

Tiny was the actual size, so they're resistant to certain weapon attacks, but not immune, as you say.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-07-29 at 01:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Voting for Renia Alo'Nevin.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

would I have to make a STR check to escape the webs by flight? I can fly for a 6 minutes/day.
    Extended Signature

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Or an escape artist check. You're currently entangled into the sticky webs on the ground. Once you manage to get out and into the air though, you'll be safe as long as you avoid touching the walls or ceiling in the combat area.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Okay, can we just add 2 to the roll, or do you want a new roll? I'm at work using my phone so rolls are kind of challenging, but I can do one when I get home. Also, if we could do the step back after the spell. (Again, can edit into the IC when I get home if you'd like)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Night View Post
    Okay, can we just add 2 to the roll, or do you want a new roll? I'm at work using my phone so rolls are kind of challenging, but I can do one when I get home. Also, if we could do the step back after the spell. (Again, can edit into the IC when I get home if you'd like)
    That's fine. With a roll of 26, Kasha also recalls her knowledge about this particular brand of spider.

They're called, aptly named, Tomb Spiders. They have a strange connection with the forces of Positive and Negative Energy. They are healed by Negative Energy and harmed by Positive Energy as though they were undead, despite being living breathing creatures. The poison they secrete can cause this phenomenon in their victims. If they manage to cocoon a victim into a web, their feeding process creates a special brand of undead often simply referred to as Web Mummies.

However, you're pretty sure that Tomb Spiders don't spit darts, and the chitin on their bodies is bizarrely shaped and colored; perhaps someone had a hand in mutating these particular creatures.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

What action is it to try to break free? Move, swift, free, standard?
    Extended Signature

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Cool, and I edited in her move action

Did the knowledge check give any info on the swarm, or are they the same sort of spiders, just lots of little ones?
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-29 at 09:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mousedigits View Post
    What action is it to try to break free? Move, swift, free, standard?
    It would be a standard to break free.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I guess additional spiderling info isn't that important now, unless it's the knowledge that they make delicious spider jerky when dried.