New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Maxing perform

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Maxing perform

Strange question maybe, but what are the ways to get a perform skill as high as possible? Are there other feats than skill focus(perform) I could take to get teh über perform check? It's for 1 check/day, so 1/day abilities to up any check would be cool too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Maxing perform

There's a feat in Complete Adventurer that gives you a bonus for doing combined Perform checks (like dancing whilst playing the fiddle, or singing to a lute melody, for example).

edit: Ah, here it is...'Versatile Performer' it's called.

you could also try Elven Harps (RotW) which are like Masterwork+ Harps or any of the various Magical Instruments. I pretty sure there must be a spell or two as well (if not, make one...I mean Glibness gives you a Bluff bonus, what's to say you can't cast a spell that boosts Perform?)
    Last edited by JellyPooga; 2007-03-03 at 10:36 AM.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

You have feat in Races of Destinythat allows you to add d6 to d20 roll 1/day but it is human only. I think it is called Heroic Spirit or something like that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Is there a particular reason for wanting a particularly high Perform? Just curious.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it may just be a theroetical exercise
    Spectacular Dr Insano avatar by RPGsr4me

No one plays Heroclix

Place holder ego padding:
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Oh my goodness it's Who!

6. - Top - End - #6

Feats:

Skill Focus (Perform)
    Versatile Performer (CAd)
    Artist (regional, 1st level only; PFGtF)

Mundane Items:

Masterwork Elven Harp (+3 circumstance bonus to Perform (String Instruments) checks if you have 5 or more ranks; RoW)

Magic Items:

Circlet of Persuasion (+3 competence bonus to all Charisma-based checks)
    (Greater) Choker of Eloquence (+5 (+10) competence bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Perform (Singing); CAd)

Maxing Perfom has also practical purposes. It sets the DC for the bard's Fascinate ability. There is also the Fugue spell (SC) whose effects are dependent on a Perform check => the higher the check result the better the effect.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-03-03 at 11:01 AM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Well, actually I'm thinking of changing the spirit shaman somewhat and had the wild idea of not using wisdom for bonus spells, but a perform(shamanistic ritual) check costing an hour, minus 2x highest spell level he can retrieve 2 spells from(for balance and because the spirit shaman tries to get higher level spells). Makes sense to me. I checked and I think it might be feasable, since a 3rd lvl Spirit Shaman with charisma 18 would have an effective wisdom (for bonus spells only) between 9 and 28 (avarage 18,5). 12th lvl with 24 charisma would be between 15 and 34 (avarage 24,5). I don't know if it's really balanced, but I wanted to check if it was a good idea to try and work this out or if I can throw it away allready since you can double your bonus spells with 2 feats this way.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

So are you looking for existing ways, or just rules-legal ways?

Because, you know, an item for +30 competence bonus on a skill is just 90,000 gp. Add half again if it doesn't take up a slot, I guess.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Is there a particular reason for wanting a particularly high Perform? Just curious.
    From a practical stance, almost-guaranteed bardic fascinate, even amidst combat. Once your checks are up in the 30s, the +5 for that is just a pittance.

10. - Top - End - #10

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria, Countess of Mispelling View Post
    Artist (regional, 1st level only; PFGtF)
    That's too many letters; what book is that, something in Forgotten Realms? All I can think of for that to stand for is "Players Forgotten Guide to Forgotten" and that probably isn't right.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd imagine the book in question is "Player's Guide to Faerun" which does have that feat if I am correct, and that the extra F is simply a typo.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

12. - Top - End - #12

Yeah, me and my clumsy fingers ...
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    So are you looking for existing ways, or just rules-legal ways?

Because, you know, an item for +30 competence bonus on a skill is just 90,000 gp. Add half again if it doesn't take up a slot, I guess.
    That's a what, most of the money for a 13th level WBL'd character? The 135k version would probably be too much for them.

It's a lot of money to be spent, especially just for fascinate.

I suppose if you're using it for swaying people in your favour, it might be more useful once you're around level 20.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Isomenes View Post
    From a practical stance, almost-guaranteed bardic fascinate, even amidst combat. Once your checks are up in the 30s, the +5 for that is just a pittance.

Isn't it impossible to use fascinate in combat?

15. - Top - End - #15

Yes, it is.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maglor_Grubb View Post
    Isn't it impossible to use fascinate in combat?
    You caught me smoking crack again. I don't even know where I got a +5 from, much less the whole using in combat thing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

There is also the "Nymph's kiss" feat (+2 on any Cha related check), and the loyalty feats (+1 luck bonus on any one check once per day) from BoED. They are only for exalted characters though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Mainly because skill checks > Spell DC.

Spell DCs go up every three to four levels(ie, you attain a new Spell Level, so your highest possible DC is raised by 1)

Perform checks go up every level(adding another rank). Both use Charisma modifier, so that is a bit of a wash. You can take (Greater)Spell Focus: Enchantment, but that will only raise it by 1(2 total after you get GSF), and only for one school. I don't know of anything that gives synergy bonuses to Perform, but you can probably find and take some feats that give +2 to Perform and another skill, as well as Skill Focus: Perform itself. That's not even forgetting that you can add 1-20(roll d20 for the check, duh), which you can't really do with a Spell.

On the other hand, there isn't really very much beyond Countersong and Fascinate that use the Perform Check for opposed rolls. :/
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.