Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Island of the Sirens (The Pentallion): D&D 3.5 OOC

The Island of the Sirens

The storm was strong, the seas churning and raging as if the briny water was boiled from beneath, on the whim of some mad ocean god. Stormclouds covered the horizon, as far as the eye could see. Lightning rocketed down to earth in the distance, and thunder rolled and rocked, blasting the skies with it's terrifying cacophony. The wind blew fiercely, some crewmembers already long lost to the hurricane level onslaught of cold air. Rain buffets the side of the proud vessel, and deckhands scramble about, desperately trying to repair and sail the ship to safety all at once. Captain Lenora Lang struggles with the steering mechanism, giving the rudder all she's got as she valiantly yells curses towards the heavens. As the mighty storm rages on, who knows what's in store for it's unwary passengers...

Spoiler: Big 16:
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

A D&D 3.5 game, however the party will start much lower powered than most.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

A homebrew setting. A world called Medean, wherein all manner of strange and fantastical things exist. However, your adventure's will begin in the Sea of Serpents, until a fated storm crashes your vessel, the Tidebreaker, into a mysterious island thought to not exist.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

I am looking for a large amount of players, should interest provide it. Large groups can be quite fun, and that way we have extras should a player drop out. There'd be three groups on the island to band together in the beginning and head out to investigate the island!

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

OOTS boards.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

You will be starting at level 1, and won't have any sort of class material. You'd pick your class, (Core mostly, please), and roll your health points and everything, along with feats, but you wouldn't have.... say, a sword. You'd pick a profession and reason for you to be on the ship in the beginning. This is a character-driven plot!

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

For these characters, whatever amount of gold is regular for their profession. If you have less or more gold due to backstory reasons, I may change it. Just message or mention it to me.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Core classes, please. I find it difficult to manage a Level 4 Muskrat Tamer/Basket Weaver. I may let some stuff fly, especially if it's for the character.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Humans are common and considered normal here. Elves are just about non-existant, and dwarves are regarded as being particularly unpleasant. Most humans don't like dwarves. Other races are quite exotic, and not often seen. So, for example a half-orc in a human settlement will be disliked by even the kindest populace. No weird monstrous things. Were-things may be accepted, but you must message me.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

You may either generate you score with a 5d6b3 set of rolls or a 34 point buy, however once you have picked you must stick with these.
    You will have maximum hit points for level one. You'd role normally for the other levels. If you roll, kindly place said roles here.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

These is a world of grey's, alignment holds no sway in this game bar. Paladins have killed others in brutal expansions of territory. Viking-like cultures steal and kill. Etc. However, if you kill or threaten NPC's, some may attack or threaten back. Be aware that the NPC's will have their own agendas, and won't simply be functioning as props all the time. The groups can co-exist and form nice settlements, or go full Lord of the Flies.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Normal multi-classing rules apply. However, in regards to leveling upů XP will have little sway in this game, I will give level ups when I feel they have been earned. You will all level at the same time.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Most of my dice rolling will be done in secret and I may make rolls on your behalf in secret (I will let you know if I do however) your rolls will be on post. Should you ever ask to roll something secretly, and away from other players eyes, you may message me. I'd appreciate, however, if we didn't try to backstab eachother daily.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Ummm. Not really anything, apart from spell criticals and fumbles being enforced by me! It's always fun to see how chaotic magic can really be. Death will also occur at -15, rather than ten. Death is a thing that can happen, whether it occur to NPC's or PC's.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

I would like a brief background that can be easily updated and grown when you learn more about the game world. Large character backstories are always fun for me to plot things about. The world will adapt and change around the characters, and I intend to use this world setting often, creating a bit of a lore centered around the characters.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

A mix of all of the above, but it will center mainly upon roleplay. Survival will obviously be a big thing here.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

No rulebook restrictions as of yet, unless someone breaks the game.

Welcome, crew members of the Pentallion! Please introduce yourselves and claim a text color!

Spoiler: Crew List:
    Show

The Pentallion: Captained by Lenora Langstruck

Dragonslayer: Magic Miles.
    ---
    Whoiam: Audr.
    ---
    ImperatorV: Irrais.
    ---
    Arutha: Dren.
    ---
    DexterCorvia: Weldan the Smith.
    ---
    Amail: Unnamed.
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 2014-07-30 at 11:35 PM.
    don't click this

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Island of the Sirens (The Pentallion): D&D 3.5 OOC

Hello, fellow Doomed Souls.... er, I mean, fellow players! I am whoiam, playing Audr, a thin, quiet, one-eyed teenage girl who has spent most of the voyage helping out in the galley (successfully), trying to hide her posh accent (badly) and that this is her first voyage (very badly). She speaks in a dark green fashion, and as the storm hits them, she's mostly just trying to stay out of the way of both the crew and the wind.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

My character is Magic Miles, street magician extraordinaire! He has got onboard the ship in order to find a new place to perform some street magic, as the guards from his old city had taken a strange dislike to him after some of their money went missing during his performances. He is especially fond of his trick in which he pulls a snake out of a hat, and nobody understands how he does it.
    He speaks in orange, a bit like this.
    The Lichway Dungeon Crawl IC
    The Lichway Dungeon Crawl OOC
    Spoiler: The Lichway Dungeon Crawl Map
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I am Weldan, a small town smith hoping to open my own shop one of the big cities. While technically a passenger, I have difficulty staying idle, so you have seen me about the ship making repairs of all sorts. My pet raven, Scarlet likes to loll about in the crow's nest, although occasionally the worthless bird fetches the correct tool. My faithful hound, Grump splits his time between hunting rats in the hold, sleeping on the deck, and nudging into me while I work. I speak in the color of tempered steel (gray).
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Welcome shipmates! I, ImperatorV, will be playing Irrais Donnelby, the ship's navigator. He keeps to himself mostly, but is friendly enough if you talk to him. Any questions about his origin or religion will result in an immediate need to recalculate the ship's location and check his charts again. He will speak in A Brownish Color.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, cool. Hallo there all, and welcome to The Island of the Sirens! As soon as Arutha and Amaril arrive, we can get this all started! I even managed to scrounge up a nice map of your beach.

Spoiler: Ta Daaa.
    Show
    don't click this

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello all, I am Dren Oyent, jack of many trades, and former member of the hirelings union. Normally I would never leave my city, but my baby sister is graduating for her wizard collage, and I am going as a surprise. I can't wait to see her face! I speak in boisterous blue

8. - Top - End - #8

How is it that the Forward Unto Dawn thread has 29 replies, and we have like 4?

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    How is it that the Forward Unto Dawn thread has 29 replies, and we have like 4?
    I have been wondering the same.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Two of our players haven't hit the IC thread, and a third hasn't finished a character yet. Even the three of us have only averaged one post a day between us... although it'll be one and a quarter posts a day if I remember to make my next one before I fall asleep ;)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Two of our players haven't hit the IC thread, and a third hasn't finished a character yet. Even the three of us have only averaged one post a day between us... although it'll be one and a quarter posts a day if I remember to make my next one before I fall asleep ;)
    This, pretty much. I will always wait for everyone to post, before making a post myself. I don't like randomly retconning people into a situation because the posters didn't post.
    don't click this

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingPirate

Makes sense. I know I was posting slower than usual to give folks a chance to jump in.

Who is having trouble with their character? I'm more than happy to help point out mechanical goodies, if you have an idea that is stonewalling you.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

So we're just missing Amail, who hasn't posted in the OOC or IC threads... perhaps he should be PM'd?

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingPirate

I would really like to get to that island.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I did, he never responded.

We'll be moving forward without him. I'm going to post.
    don't click this

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingPirate

Who are we waiting on this time? I'm serious about getting to that bloody island.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, Dragonslayer and Amail are the two players who haven't posted since the last time the DM did. Dragonslayer hasn't posted anything on the forums at all for the last two weeks... I'm guessing this is entering 'magic miles may have a tragic accident during the shipwreck' territory now...

18. - Top - End - #18

HalflingPirate

That sounds reasonable to me. Does anyone know how the other team is faring? If they have also lost a couple, then once we get to the island, it might make sense to join forces.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I third this movment.

20. - Top - End - #20

We should at least relegate him to NPC status even if we don't kill him off. But yeah, fourth'd. Let's get moving.

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingPirate

I guess that means he got voted......off the island. YEEAAAHHHH!
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    I guess that means he got voted......off the island. YEEAAAHHHH!
    Yup.

Character limit.

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingPirate

Are we all dead then?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show