Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Grimtina's Games OOC

Default Grimtuna's Games OOC

Having computer issues - constant hangups, had ti remive a trojan as well today and am now on the tablet on which -i can barely type with my clumsy fingers and bad eyes.

As this might happen in one way or the other I made one thread to inform all instead of having the trouble to c/p and repost with only a pen to help.

I am currently not able to do anything requiring map manipulation or map chosing. I'll be abke ti do most else
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    In the village where the heroes came from, with a kobold attack.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Grimtina's Games OOC

I will take this first post to link War Unit-051 to this thread. If there is anything we could do to help with your tech issues, just ask.
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eusebio Favour, the hobgoblin warmage signing in.

I'm the fast hero.

Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrew:
    The Witchknife: a Psionic-less Soulknife
    Warlock Invocations
    Characters
    Pathfinder
    Lenfrey Coyne, Ratfolk Sin Eater Inquisitor
    Mazer Mandrill, Gnome Saboteur Alchemist
    Ridley Rysewell, Half-Elf Carnivalist Rogue
    Star Wars Saga Edition
    Geoffrey Bears, Ryn Scoundrel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no idea what this darn machine's base issues are. I thought it might be the energy management as it kept crashing at night or when I was away fir a bit but now that it is deactivated, it keeps happening and now also when I use it. It jut freezes up and no hint of overheating etc.

Could be a windiws 7 issue but I think it's rather a different thing,
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Are you sure it isn't overheating? It won't necessarily feel that hot if it is, as it only takes one or two very small components (processor, especially) that also produce a gargantuan amount of heat to hit their red zone to cause a crash or shutdown.

It's also possible your power supply is starting to show its age, and the cheapest/safest/easiest solution is to buy a new one that's either a duplicate or has a higher wattage. If you're using a laptop, you could probably find a duplicate cord online and be safe in assuming it'll work. If it's a desktop, even though it's usually cheaper getting a new brick online, go to a store (Fry's, if your area has one) or order one through a store's online catalog. Speaking from experience, even if you're a total tech wiz, get it installed at the store so they're liable if something goes wrong

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I got nothing to advise on the tech issues.

Here is another link to my character, even though it probably isn't necessary.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Continuing to monitor, with no computer advice
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

subbed and watching

Regarding computer issues and trojan, I would suggest you download Hirens Boot CD, and then you can run Malwarebytes to scan you computer (or download from here)

You may have to disable your antivirus when doing this, as a lot of those tools flag some antivirus utilities.

Once downloaded, disconnect access to the internet, and then scan, if you have Hirens downloaded, literally try every utility under Programs>>antivirus/spyware, until you have exhausted all resources.

After that, clean up your computer with CCleaner (on Hirens as well)

And then cleanup all extensions on Chrome/firefrox/IE, many malware attach themselves via extensions by automating a navigation path to a bad sight. These are both installed on the computer, and browser, so if you find one, then look in Control panel>>Uninstall a program for the same name

EDIT: if all fails, revert to a previous version of a good windows install, which may remove issues, have you made any changes to your machine recently? new hardware, new software, new website?
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-08-06 at 10:31 AM.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

“Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Blast and Damnation!

Get well soon, Tina's Computer!
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Grom here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I got rid of the trojan, that's one thing I am good at, virus removal.

Yeah the computer got new SSDs, and now that I think about it, thr problems did start after.

12. - Top - End - #12

I seem to be from a different game than everyone else, but here's Renon Feynith, Dragonborn Warmage.

13. - Top - End - #13

PaladinGuy

So is this a communal OOC for some of your games Grimtina? I'm kinda wondering where all these people came from.
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, this is for global announcements. Actually a really good idea, since she seems to enjoy GMing 20+ games at a time. Something comes up, she only needs to make one post instead of 20+.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

From the Dark Sun game here, I'll be around whenever you're back in business.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Husband might have found the problem in my energy management, but we aren't sure yet. I'll know if I have a day or two without constant freezeups.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, hey Grim. Here's Salty Shalefist, for your Ebberon play by post. Tadaaa.
    don't click this

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry to hear about your computer woes. Glad you're on the road to getting it sorted out, though!

And here's Abasi Huridah, from the underloved character class game.
    I have been suddenly forced to move to a new home. Expect shaky contributions for the next week or two while I deal with this process. Thank you for your patience!

Why yes, stalwart stranger, I did miss the fact that there was a slightly-too-small character limit on user names before I activated my account.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Ouch. Computer issues always suck.

Well, Francis of the Skulls and Shackles game here.

EDIT: Huh. Text color doesn't stack with links. Here be my chosen one, for a moment.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2014-08-06 at 07:38 PM.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Solid-States? Those things are pretty swanky, good purchase. I retract my estimate of power failure, unless the two SSDs replaced a setup that used less power, in which case they still might be overtaxing the power supply and/or cooling.

I'm holding out for the drives based on glass prisms being developed: Scratches that would be crippling to an HDD disappear with a little bit of resin, a relatively simple spherical design (still a prism, though, with a great many faces) can hold tens or hundreds of terrabytes of data, and they're estimated to have lower production costs than a standard HDD. Very cool, in my opinion.

Hope your computer gets better, soon!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

MKTS-7 (Mecha 7) awaits for its orders.

"Shall I scout ahead?"
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that wasn't it.

Husband says we'll do a mem test this weekend, and if that's not it he'll "Take the (censored) thing apart" to see what's up with it this time.

My guess is I took the drawback "computer bane" at some point, as it is always my machines developing weird issues.

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateGuy

1 Gnome ready to go

Nary Bofferhaler

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Lune Lapin is mixing up a new brew while this gets fixed!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

So, it's slightly better, however, I still crash a few times a day. At least I am not stuck to the tablet most of the time anymore.

Due to some of the games I started not moving forward thanks to lack of player posts, I now require new players to red the About Me to make sure we're on the same page regarding how a game should move.

Thanks for the patience everyone.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Issues are getting worse. We narrowed it down to it likely being my old board being incompatible with the SSD as I get controller- and HD response time errors. Tonight my husband will switch discs to see if it helps, if not - new machine, here I come.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Grimtina View Post
    Issues are getting worse. We narrowed it down to it likely being my old board being incompatible with the SSD as I get controller- and HD response time errors. Tonight my husband will switch discs to see if it helps, if not - new machine, here I come.
    Wahoo! New machine. *drooool* For the sake of your sanity do not get a Windows RT rig. Trust me, I work in tech support. You might be fine but the average "grandma needs a computer" person is outright paralyzed. Also the dumb thing has program compatibility issues. Like every program. Ever. Written.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah definitely reinstalling windows 7 in any case hehe. I totally detest windows 8 except for the tablet. Heck I am not even used to 7 yet lol I kept NT as long as possible.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

They've made quite a lot of things worse relative to Win 2000 Pro / Office 97. Some things are better, of course, but oh my... (especially with recent, outright insane, threads).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have a windows 8 and I don't hate it. It's not as good as 7, sure, but it definitely doesn't deserve half the hate it gets. The part of 8 that most people bitch about is something that is almost entirely optional. The whole "metro" interface doesn't have to be used at all other than to start up the desktop. After that it's pretty much just a different looking start menu. I have heard that it slows down the computer, but I haven't really experienced that at all. I'm also not amazingly tech savvy. I know more than most people software wise, but much less than anyone who knows anything about the hardware or has any kind of job or passion for technology.

Current Characters:
    Evan Therioux, an evil Nobleman Bard

Scrubble, a Goblin Alchemist ... and I just realized both of my current characters are evil.