Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default MtG - You Make the Card: Challenge!

So, since the YMtC threads have been fairly popular, I've decided to make a third contest, this one fairly different from the other two. Rather than having a weekly contest with many entries and judging and a winner being declared who makes the next contest, instead everyone is a contestant, a judge, and the creator of the next contest all at once!

Each post should contain a short critique of the card made by the poster before them, a card that meets the challenge posted by the poster before them, and a new challenge for the next poster to take on.

Other contests:
    You Make the Card
    You Make the Mini-Set!

There is no time limit on when a challenge can be met, and no restriction on how often you can post other than that you can't fulfill your own challenges. If two people respond to the same challenge, the next poster simply picks which of those to judge and meet the challenge of, though if you're up to it you could also try fulfilling both challenges at the same time, assuming that's possible.

As with the other challenges, cards should be submitted in text format, like so:

Card Name Mana Cost
    Type - Subtype Rarity
    Card Text
    Flavor Text
    Power/Toughness

For example:

Giant Spider 3G
    Creature - Spider C
    Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
    "It has a quickness about it that seems unnatural for its large size, yet its hunger is about right."
    —Endril, Kalonian naturalist

2/4

Anyways, I'll start things off with the first challenge: Create a card that costs one white mana.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2014-08-07 at 12:28 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card: Challenge!

Deflect Pain W
    Instant C
    Redirect the next three damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn to another target creature.

Giant Spider: Overall, 3/10. Playable in Limited, but only barely. Allows green some response to flyers, but is probably overcosted. All-in-all, this feels like a card from a much earlier time.

Create a card that uses Sweep in a new and exciting way.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2014-08-07 at 02:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Interesting but I think probably a bit overpowered and redirecting 2 damage would probably be more appropriate. Compare with Lightning Bolt which is generally seen as too good. You lose the ability to target a player and you have to play it in reaction to damage but it also prevents the damage, likely saving the initial creature.

Seek Within Jukai 2G
    Sorcery - Arcane U
    Sweep - Return any number of forests you control to their owners hands. Search your library for a basic land card and put it into play tapped for each forest returned this way.

Create a card with a non-mana flashback cost (with a normal cost for casting it from your hand)
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2014-08-07 at 02:55 AM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

4. - Top - End - #4

Yeah, you're probably right about that.

An interesting card, might work a little too well at fueling discard costs while still being good otherwise, but overall I quite like it.

Research's Reward 4U
    Sorcery U
    Draw three cards.
    Flashback—Discard three cards.

Make a 1/1.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2014-08-07 at 03:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hey there,

I'll try this...

I like Research's Reward, it has the right "blue" Feeling
    Cost and effect seem to be right.

For my contribution:

Saprowing 1G
    Creature - Saproling C
    Flying,
    When Saprowing enters the game "Scry 1"
    Nature adapts!
    1/1

Make a card with the "Dwarf"-subtype
    (Dwarves get much to less love in MtG)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Hehe. I quite like it, though scrying seems like something more blue than green.

Duergar infiltrator 2B
    Creature - Dwarf Rogue
    T: Look at target opponent's hand and choose a card. They discard another card.
    Even the most evil of dwarves will never take the last thing you have in the world.
    2/2

Make a card with WUBRG in its cost.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-08-07 at 08:04 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

This is pretty interesting - you'll always have to leave something in their hand, but it will always be the worst thing they have. Unfortunately at such a low cost with no cost to activate it's still far more potent than it should be. Plus instant speed discard is a huge no no. 5/10

True Decimation WUBRG
    Sorcery
    Destory target land, target creature, target artifact, and target enchantment.
    True power is not in what you can create, but what you can destroy.

Challenge: Make a creature with at least ten power that costs three or less.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I feel like this should destroy five things, one for each color. Plus, this already an effect that R/G can do.

Billowing Flamekin R
    Creature- Elemental R
    Pay one life: Billowing Flamekin's power becomes one until the end of the turn. This ability can only be activated if you don't control Billowing Flamekin.
    10/1

Design a five color utility land.
    Avatar made by Flumphy. Praise his name!

I, ah did a thing.
    Twice

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Billowing Flamekin: Interesting, basically drains your opponent of 1 life per turn until they can kill it off. You can't block well with it either, since your opponent will just make it a 1/1 after you declare blockers. Unfortunately it's a bit boring just because it will basically never get to use it's full 10 power for anything unless your opponent literally can't pay that 1 lift. 6/10

Chichen Itza
    Legendary Land M
    T, Sacrifice an enchantment: Add WW to your mana pool.
    T, Discard a card: Add UU to your mana pool.
    T, Sacrifice a creature: Add BB to your mana pool.
    T, Sacrifice an artifact: Add RR to your mana pool.
    T, Sacrifice a land: Add GG to your mana pool.

Challenge: Create a card based on Mesoamerican culture.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The sacrifice effect is very flavourful.
    It's perhaps a bit unbalanced between the colors, but I like it.

Ollamaliztli 2BW
    Enchantment R
    At the end of your turn tap X creatures, where X is the number of game-counters on Ollamaliztli plus one, put a game-counter on it and target player gains control of it.
    Or sacrifice it and lose life equal to the number of game-counters on it.

Challenge: Create a card that is Steampunk-themed
    Last edited by Kapow; 2014-08-07 at 03:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

RedKnightGirl

This is pretty interesting, but the templating is pretty sloppy. It also doesn't feel all that black, even with the life loss. Still it seems like a fun card for multiplayer especially, 6/10.

Steam Core 5
    Artifact
    At the beginning of your upkeep, but a charge counter on Steam Core. Then, Steam Core deals damage equal to the number of charge counters on it to target creature or player and to you.
    The problem with powering all your technology with blistering hot water is splash back.

Challenge: Create a creature with four creature types.

12. - Top - End - #12

Templating needs to be cleaned up a bit. Gameplay-wise, tapping creatures at end of turn won't do much, since your opponent's creatures will just untap next turn, and if there aren't enough opposing creatures to tap, you can choose your already-tapped creatures. It's an interesting minigame, but I think it's too busy, and it's not clear what purpose it's supposed to serve in an actual game of Magic.

Gear Golem 2
    Artifact Creature - Construct (C)
    Spend only colorless mana to cast Gear Golem.
    3/3

Ninja'd.

I feel like at 5 mana, the self-damage drawback isn't necessary, or at least shouldn't be that drastic. Without the drawback, it would be quite fun.

Fallen Servitor 2WWBB
    Creature - Angel Demon Cleric Warrior (R)
    Flying, lifelink
    B, Sacrifice another creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on Fallen Servitor, and target player loses 2 life.
    W, Sacrifice Fallen Servitor: Put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control. Those creatures gain indestructible until end of turn.
    5/5

Next: Create an artifact for one of the minor gods of Theros.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2014-08-07 at 11:41 PM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Love the card, looks like a good amount of power for the mana cost, and some cool abilities that aren't ovepowered/overcosted/whatnot.

Urn of Ephara 2WU
    Legendary Enchantment Artifact
    Creatures you control have +0/+1
    3WU, T: Each blocking creature deals damage to the creature it's blocking equal to its toughness.

Make a card with Flying

Discussion w/ TPBM
    Spoiler
    Show

The activation can happen at instant speed, and is in addition to the combat damage dealt by the blockers. It's not meant to be used everywhere, but where it is intended, (i.e a /defender/ deck) it's FAAAR from underpowered.
    Also, it's "each creature", rather than each creature you control, which makes it ridonculous in multiplayer.
    However, you are right that the primary effect is too weak for the cost. That is an issue... I'd probably buff it to +0/+2.
    Last edited by Eternis; 2014-08-10 at 05:59 AM.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

14. - Top - End - #14

The primary effect feels weak for the cost and the activation is too high. Interesting idea, I like the toughness-as-power bit but it is unlikely to see much play.

Subverting Imp 2BB
    Creature -Imp (U)
    Flying
    When Subverting Imp deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to target creature that player controls. If a creature dealt damage this way would die this turn, gain control of it instead.
    2/2

Make a card that has two instances of the same keyword. (e.g. Flashback -2G, Flashback -pay 5 life.)
    Last edited by TiaC; 2014-08-10 at 07:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Velocity Golem (C)
    (Picture shows a metal humanoid falling from the sky, burning from the friction.)
    3: Suspend 2
    3: Suspend 5
    When you remove a time counter from Velocity Golem, if it has 4 time counters, put an impact counter on it.
    When Velocity Golem enters the battlefield from exile, if it had an impact counter on it, you may destroy up to 2 target permenants.
    5/5

16. - Top - End - #16

Psst. You also need to review my card and make a new challenge.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Oh yeah, sorry.

Your card basically reads "When this card becomes the target of a card which increases its power, target battlecruiser player loses the game. The ability to grab anything up to Eldrazi from your opponent if you increase its power is... a bit much.

The card itself is fine, the ability to pump it up and steal your opponent's battlecruisers is a bit strong IMO.

New challenge is to make a card which changes or removes one of the rules of the game entirely for its duration.

18. - Top - End - #18

Gameplay-wise, I like it. Both modes are quite fair, and it's something that I would be satisfied with getting at any time, as is important with a suspend card. But before I'd print it, I'd want to see if we could find a less clunky templating for it.

Ethereal Distorter 1U
    Creature - Elemental (U)
    Flying
    Each player skips his or her precombat main phase.
    1/2

Next: Create a hybrid card.

Love wins. S'agapo.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

That's... really strong. It denies a significant chunk of spells outright, on a reasonable body. It needs to cost significantly more, to shut down one-turn steal spells, combat-only haste, sorcery-speed buffs, and probably other things I've not thought of.

Fleeting Notions X(U/R)(U/R)(U/R)
    Sorcery - U
    If you spent R to cast this spell, every player discards X cards and draws X cards. Then, if you spent U to cast this spell, target player draws X cards.

Next player: Make a permanent with flash.
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2014-08-10 at 08:12 PM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

20. - Top - End - #20

The red option is definitely weaker than the blue. It's probably costed right for both, but not really worth it without blue.

Spellheart 4U
    Creature- Elemental
    Flash
    Imprint — When Spellheart enters the battlefield, exile target spell card from the stack.
    When Spellheart dies you may cast the exiled card without paying its mana cost.
    3/3

Make a card with at least four keyword abilities.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2014-08-11 at 12:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I get the feeling that you wanted this to be 4U, not 4B, since countering and re-casting cards is very much not a black thing to do. I do like the idea of a creature that steals a spell and lets you cast it later, though the flavor might have been better if the spell somehow modified the creature, for example gaining power and toughness equal to the CMC of the stolen spell. Still, a nice idea, 5/10.

Multus Golem 5
    Artifact Creature - Golem R
    W: Multus Golem gains vigilance until end of turn.
    U: Multus Golem gains flying until end of turn.
    B: Multus Golem gains lifelink until end of turn.
    R: Multus Golem gains first strike until end of turn.
    G: Multus Golem gains hexproof until end of turn.
    Sometimes one head is better than five.
    5/5

Challenge: Make a Planeswalker.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2014-08-10 at 11:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    I get the feeling that you wanted this to be 4U, not 4B, since countering and re-casting cards is very much not a black thing to do. I do like the idea of a creature that steals a spell and lets you cast it later, though the flavor might have been better if the spell somehow modified the creature, for example gaining power and toughness equal to the CMC of the stolen spell. Still, a nice idea, 5/10.
    You're quite right, 4U was the plan. I considered P/T=CMC, but I didn't want a 6+ cost counterspell. It seemed too hard to use.

As to Multus Golem, I think it's quite nice. First Strike feels a little out of place for some reason. 8/10

Eredran, Knowledge Seeker
    +1: Scry 2, Fateseal 1
    -2: Search target player's library for a card and place it on top of their library.
    -5: All players draw seven cards, then all opponents discard their hands.

Make a card that cares about the stack.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, he needs a mana cost - I'd estimate, oh, maybe 2UU or 3UU? Serious templating issue there regardless. I really like his -2, since that's not an effect I've seen before. His +1 is useful, albeit rather unexciting. His -5 (which is only two turns away from hitting play, I note) seems a little inelegant; I would remove either the opponent draw (which is effectively mill) or the opponent discard (converting the opponent draw into mill).

Spell-Siphon 2
    Artifact - R
    T: Add 1 to your mana pool for each spell on the stack.

Next person, make a land.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Looks like a fairly good card, although...
    It's only really going to be useful in situations where you want large numbers of spells on the stack, in which case you're generally dealing with counterspells or buffing spells, in which case you'd want coloured mana. That, and the fact that it can only provide mana when something's already on the stack, would probably allow it to go for "one mana of any colour" instead of just "1".
    ANYWAY
    This card is pretty bad...

Lair of the Beast
    Land - R
    T: Add G to your mana pool. Put a 0/1 white goat creature token into play under your opponent's control.
    9, T, Sacrifice Lair of the Beast: Put a 7/7 green beast creature token named The Dweller into play under your control. It has "Whenever a goat token dies, put a +1/+1 counter on The Dweller".

Create an instant or sorcery that permanently changes a permanent.
    Last edited by Eternis; 2014-08-11 at 07:13 AM.
    Xykon's not Evil. He just get bored really easily. And he doesn't have constructive hobbies.
    Spoiler: Gen/Degen
    Show
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your signature and add one.
    Degeneration 92
    The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and subtract one.
    Spoiler: Super Secret Awesome Point Counter
    Show

Iceseer - 3

HUGS FOR ALL!
    Spoiler: I be an awesome pokemon
    Show

Spoiler: Le Quotes on le topic of Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    You're a perfect person.
    Isn't Socksy adorabibbles?

25. - Top - End - #25

It's clever. I'm not fond of complex abilities on tokens though. Maybe have it be a one-shot effect that destroys Goats and puts +1/+1 counters on the token equal to the number destroyed?

Equalize 1 U/B
    Instant (U)
    Target creature loses all abilities. (This effect is permanent.)
    "The era of bending is over. A new era of equality has begun.
    -Amon, Equalist

Next: Make a legendary Spider.

@v: Most big creatures have quite threatening bodies. And there are straight-up kill spells for two mana.
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2014-08-12 at 12:23 PM.

Love wins. S'agapo.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, warning, I'm terrible at this.

I think it's quite cheap for that fact that it's an instant speed card that more or less counters everything rare or better. In my experience, you don't get a lot of raw beatsticks outside of Green.
    That said, it is an interesting ability that could also be used to remove negative factors from your own creatures.

Shlob
    Legendary Spider R
    Suspend 5 GB
    When you remove a time counter from Shlob, place a web counter on a creature. Creatures with web counters lose Flying, Unblockable, X-walk [islandwalk, swampwalk, etc], and Protection from [colors] and creatures.
    Shlob does not untap during your upkeep.
    Sacrifice a Human, Halfling, Elf, Dwarf, or Orc: Untap Shlob
    Reach, Vigilance
    7/7
    Flavor Text: What do you mean we got a discount giant spider?

Next: Make a non-permanent with Morph
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2014-08-11 at 11:11 PM.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #27

Shlob has a few templating issues. (Unblockable isn't a keyword, you can just say landwalk, and Protection from [colors] and creatures should probably just be Protection. Untap step ≠ Upkeep step.) I like the idea of "no evasion for you", but I'm doubtful of the execution. The combination of an untap cost and Vigilance is odd and feels anti-synergistic. 2/10

Golem Electrocore
    Instant U
    If Golem Electrocore would be turned face up, place it on the stack face up instead.
    Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
    Morph R

Make a blue card that is a mana source. (Not the obsolete card type.)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Needlessly complicated. A colourless 2/2 with no types and "R, Sacrifice ~: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player" would be almost the same, except I suppose that your opponent can't see that you can do the damage, but really any opponent who isn't ready to be lightning bolted was doing something wrong anyway.

Font of Inspiration 2UU
    Enchantment U
    Tap two untapped islands you control: Add UUU to your mana pool.

Design a card which causes you to win the game.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-08-12 at 04:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Typically you still need a mana cost for morph cards - all other morph cards you can morph then flip or hardcast straight away. I'd recommend 1R as the cost and then you basically get a much more versatile volcanic hammer which should be okay at an uncommon. Maybe make it a sorcery instead to make it a bit less versatile when cast directly from your hand to make up for the fact that it can be a creature if you need it to be (you could still flip it at any time once it was out). Not a bad idea but needs a bit more execution.

I like the challenge here because I have a bit of a soft spot for Energy Tap.

Energy Conduit 3U
    Enchantment - R
    Creatures with fatigue counters do not untap during their controllers untap step
    T: Tap an untapped creature you control and put a fatigue counter on it. Add X colourless mana to your mana pool where X is that creatures converted mana cost
    X: Remove a fatigue counter from a creature with a converted mana cost of X

Make a card that encourages people to use of basic lands over non-basic lands in a format
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2014-08-12 at 05:43 AM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

30. - Top - End - #30

Font of Inspiration:Well, as written you don't need to control the islands and they don't need to be untapped. Setting that aside, I like it but suspect that it is horribly broken with the right combo. I'm not sure if it's really all that blue. 5/10 (6/10 with obvious mistake fixed)

Energy Conduit: I too have a bit of a soft spot for Energy Tap. You also forgot to limit this to untapped creatures. I quite like this, it is a very blue mana source. 9/10

From the Jaws of Defeat 4UU
    Sorcery R
    Until the end of target opponent's next turn, if you would lose the game, you win the game instead.
    Until the beginning of your next upkeep, you may not pay life.

Urban Elf 1G
    Creature -Elf C
    T: Add G to your mana pool. If your opponent controls a non-basic land, add GG instead.
    1/2

(That second one was a little rushed, I think.)

Make a creature with defender.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2014-08-12 at 03:58 AM.