Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 406
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male

    Default Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Not banning things like ToB or monks, but just weird bans.

    My uncle banned Melf's Acid Arrow. The campaign was Core+1 and no one had noticed the Orb of X spells, and he thought that not being subject to SR was stupid.

    In retrospect, he really wasn't a very good GM...
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Shadeblight by KennyPyro

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Factotum, not because of anything like extra actions or even iajatsu focus shenanigans, but because applying your intelligence mod to strength and dexterity skills is apparently absurd in some fashion.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    I think at this point we've banned Miracles. Not because they were OP, but because of the damn Shadowcraft Mage and his Miracling everything. So now NO-ONE GRANTS MIRACLES! MUWAHAHAHAH!
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

    I'm a template!

    And an artifact!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    I was once at a table that banned making use of more than one notebook per session. I responded by purchasing one roughly an inch and a half thick and some bookmarks.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Phelix-Mu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Realm of Dreams

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    A DM ruled that there'd be no xp, and anything that called out xp costs would substitute gold for xp at an exchange rate of 5gp = 1xp.

    Now, I have no problem with this, per se. The problem is this was combined with a highly RAW-tolerant DM that liked to stick to the printed word, even when he'd altered a pretty elemental expectation of the game (that xp is a limited resource). Throw in that this was a campaign that started at epic and where we were encouraged to optimize, and some crazy stuff became apparent in short order.

    The campaign would have lasted much longer if, when we showed him some crazy abuse of the gp for xp thing, that he'd occasionally said "no, that doesn't work." Instead, we basically drowned him in a sea of crazy optimization, to which he pretty much always gave the green light. He put on a brave face, tossing Jenova, DOOM monsters, and Hellgate: London stuff our way, among others. But by the time we got to the WH40K-verse with the Doctor in tow, everything had pretty much gone to pot. I cooked up a psion cohort that had access to an infinite power points loop and ways of generating cash for free, and that was pretty much the game. Oh, and the DWK sorcerer was possessed by a greater daemon of chaos, and got his hands on the TARDIS. That pretty much was instant TKO for the entire setting.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

    Extended Sigbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

    You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    snip.

    Wow, I'm not the only one that had a DM that had the Doctor and 40k in the same campaign! We also had some comics stuff, some anime stuff, and at least one jedi in our's too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Friends don't let friends do Starmetal.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Phelix-Mu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Realm of Dreams

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
    Wow, I'm not the only one that had a DM that had the Doctor and 40k in the same campaign! We also had some comics stuff, some anime stuff, and at least one jedi in our's too.
    We were supposed to keep universe jumping, with the eventual goal of stopping Cthulu-Tharizdun Gundam thing that decapitated Ao (our original employer in the campaign), before burning the D&D multiverse to the ground. Unfortunately, daemon-DWK sorcerer got ahold of the TARDIS, which was supposed to be our way out of the WH40K-verse. That and no one wanted to get close enough for the daemon to holocaust us, because the DM had rather painted himself into the corner by making the holocaust mechanics totally game-stoppingly overpowered (no resist, no save, total soul obliteration dead, at a pretty stupidly long range, with no risk to the caster, since the caster was actually a daemon). So no one even wanted to try.

    That being said, we still had one caster that had Epic Spellcasting (by the book mitigation included), and my character's cohort had Epic Manifesting. I'm sure if we'd put our minds to it, we could have countered, but we'd also ostensibly taken over an entire planetary assault by some orks (by mind-switching my cohort with the ork boss), in addition to having constructed our own little extradimensional fortress with which to carry around NI people with, if we wished (and the NI fortress was pathetically easy to create...we could easily have created more). Throw in my epic monk/wizard's crew of psi-reformed simulacra sporting sniper guns and stealth armour from Hellgate: London, and we could have probably taken down that daemon. But one of the character's was likely to die, and the campaign had reached the end of it's natural lifespan anyway (DM burnout and all).

    Still, good fun while it lasted. I played a very LG monk girl that was determined to do her best to always do the right thing, in a campaign where that was occasionally totally impossible (as when Tharizdun decapitated Ao and we had to turn tail and run, abandoning the rest of the D&D multiverse to Tharizdun's soul-eating cronies). Excellent moral quandries, which are always fun when teamed up with high-optimization potential.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

    Extended Sigbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

    You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    This DM once banned the Ranger because he looked nothing like Aragorn

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Phelix-Mu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Realm of Dreams

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This DM once banned the Ranger because he looked nothing like Aragorn
    Whoa. That's kind of harsh.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

    Extended Sigbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

    You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    A DM ruled that there'd be no xp, and anything that called out xp costs would substitute gold for xp at an exchange rate of 5gp = 1xp.

    Now, I have no problem with this, per se. The problem is this was combined with a highly RAW-tolerant DM that liked to stick to the printed word, even when he'd altered a pretty elemental expectation of the game (that xp is a limited resource). Throw in that this was a campaign that started at epic and where we were encouraged to optimize, and some crazy stuff became apparent in short order.

    The campaign would have lasted much longer if, when we showed him some crazy abuse of the gp for xp thing, that he'd occasionally said "no, that doesn't work." Instead, we basically drowned him in a sea of crazy optimization, to which he pretty much always gave the green light. He put on a brave face, tossing Jenova, DOOM monsters, and Hellgate: London stuff our way, among others. But by the time we got to the WH40K-verse with the Doctor in tow, everything had pretty much gone to pot. I cooked up a psion cohort that had access to an infinite power points loop and ways of generating cash for free, and that was pretty much the game. Oh, and the DWK sorcerer was possessed by a greater daemon of chaos, and got his hands on the TARDIS. That pretty much was instant TKO for the entire setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We were supposed to keep universe jumping, with the eventual goal of stopping Cthulu-Tharizdun Gundam thing that decapitated Ao (our original employer in the campaign), before burning the D&D multiverse to the ground. Unfortunately, daemon-DWK sorcerer got ahold of the TARDIS, which was supposed to be our way out of the WH40K-verse. That and no one wanted to get close enough for the daemon to holocaust us, because the DM had rather painted himself into the corner by making the holocaust mechanics totally game-stoppingly overpowered (no resist, no save, total soul obliteration dead, at a pretty stupidly long range, with no risk to the caster, since the caster was actually a daemon). So no one even wanted to try.

    That being said, we still had one caster that had Epic Spellcasting (by the book mitigation included), and my character's cohort had Epic Manifesting. I'm sure if we'd put our minds to it, we could have countered, but we'd also ostensibly taken over an entire planetary assault by some orks (by mind-switching my cohort with the ork boss), in addition to having constructed our own little extradimensional fortress with which to carry around NI people with, if we wished (and the NI fortress was pathetically easy to create...we could easily have created more). Throw in my epic monk/wizard's crew of psi-reformed simulacra sporting sniper guns and stealth armour from Hellgate: London, and we could have probably taken down that daemon. But one of the character's was likely to die, and the campaign had reached the end of it's natural lifespan anyway (DM burnout and all).

    Still, good fun while it lasted. I played a very LG monk girl that was determined to do her best to always do the right thing, in a campaign where that was occasionally totally impossible (as when Tharizdun decapitated Ao and we had to turn tail and run, abandoning the rest of the D&D multiverse to Tharizdun's soul-eating cronies). Excellent moral quandries, which are always fun when teamed up with high-optimization potential.
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

    You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

    EDIT: Quick note since I remembered that some people dislike the immortal Emperor. This is meant as a complement.
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2014-08-08 at 12:18 AM.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Shadeblight by KennyPyro

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Whoa. That's kind of harsh.
    Yeah, he had this major beef with the Ranger because according to him, the first time he went to play D&D the description of the game was that it was "high power LotR". So like every fanboy, he went straight ahead for the Human Ranger and was met with nothing but disappointment. Spells? Animal Companion? Two choices of Combat Style, neither of which are like Aragorn's?

    He told the story like you would tell a sad one, but the entire table was just laughing by the end of his tale.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-08-08 at 12:16 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    most dangerous place ever
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    i had a new DM who'd never played a proper game before, and he retro-actively banned my character from injuring a creature

    Spoiler: basically what happened was
    Show

    "the creature attacks you"
    "i get an attack of opportunity since it enters my threatened square"
    "No. it's immune to your attacks"

    and then later
    "i cast a fireball at the creature"
    "No. it's immune to your spell"


    of course, these bans only effected me, since during the battle i watched others players hurt it with attacks and spells (one even used a fireball)
    elemental avatar by kaariane

    extended signature

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Phelix-Mu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Realm of Dreams

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

    You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...
    *blush*

    I am certainly not an unconditional Tippy fan, but I do greatly admire both the manipulation of RAW that he uses (nigh unparalled in my admittedly limited experience, even if I can't tell if it's legal or not), and the creativity of his Tippyverse model (even if I'm not entirely convinced that it is the *only* logical outcome of RAW in 3e). So this is praise of the highest order, to my ears.

    Permission to add your compliment to my extended sig?
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

    Extended Sigbox

    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

    You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keledrath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    GMT -5
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Of course. I would not have said it if I did not believe it to be true.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

    Shadeblight by KennyPyro

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sith_Happens's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    My first DM banned the Grasping Hook from Dungeonscape, because it was a Zelda-themed campaign and he apparently thought that being able to throw a grappling hook really far was too much like a Hookshot (which he wanted to keep somewhat special). Of course, I immediately pointed him at the Rod of Ropes for being a direct Hookshot imitator with two other functions on top, to which he responded by keeping the Grasping Hook banned and not banning the Rod.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    most dangerous place ever
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    My first DM banned the Grasping Hook from Dungeonscape, because it was a Zelda-themed campaign and he apparently thought that being able to throw a grappling hook really far was too much like a Hookshot (which he wanted to keep somewhat special). Of course, I immediately pointed him at the Rod of Ropes for being a direct Hookshot imitator with two other functions on top, to which he responded by keeping the Grasping Hook banned and not banning the Rod.
    i.. what?

    404: logic not found
    elemental avatar by kaariane

    extended signature

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    iTreeby's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Today I met someone who banned dwarves. He just really hated dwarves.
    avatar by Elrond

    "You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    In 3.5: Traveler's Mount.

    Because I calculated that we could go over 130 miles a day via Pony Express, outspeeding the airship that the DM wanted us to take.

    In 4ed: Shifting (aka five foot stepping in 3.5 terms)

    Because the DM couldn't be bothered to read the Player's Handbook and didn't believe that that rule existed.
    Last edited by Story; 2014-08-08 at 12:59 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2013

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    I saw a dm that ban bard's cute wound line spell because he think arcane magic shell not get healing spells..

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by With a box View Post
    I saw a dm that ban bard's cute wound line spell because he think arcane magic shell not get healing spells..
    Does he cause them? Or heal them? And are they butterfly and/or mahou shoujo shaped?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

    I'm a template!

    And an artifact!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    I saw a DM ban, or I guess be mistaken about how something works and then made a impromptu huserlue when proven wrong, Perform working on instrument groups. This was of course after being incredibly condescending to the "stupid" person that mentioned the Perform they had ranks in.
    Last edited by Hand_of_Vecna; 2014-08-08 at 01:25 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2014

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by Hand_of_Vecna View Post
    I saw a DM ban, or I guess be mistaken about how something works and then made a impromptu huserlue when proven wrong, Perform working on instrument groups. This was of course after being incredibly condescending to the "stupid" person that mentioned the Perform they had ranks in.
    ive had that happen before as well
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

    Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    1) It wasn't a game, just a LFG post, but was along the same theme of irrationality. The poster started out voicing a desire for a RP heavy game, but by 2 paragraphs in it had devolved into a rant about how cure light wound wands obsoleted clerics. People started asking why he felt that way considering clerics can do other things, and we finally figured out he had never actually played 3.5 or Pathfinder. It all stemmed from some kind of wand related trauma from playing D&D Online.

    2) I've had a DM ban autohypnosis because being able to remember things was too powerful.

    3) I had a DM try to nerf archery by making it really, really hard to buy any quivers. Edit: Okay, more a semi-ban, but it was just ridiculous that we went into major cities and all the blacksmiths just happened to have sold their last one. Come to think of it, he did the same thing with mules, because he thought inventory and weight tracking was the greatest thing ever.
    Last edited by jaydubs; 2014-08-08 at 01:34 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Playing the Marvel superhero card game (basically like D&D but using cards for checks instead of dice) with one DM had him banning any powers that you couldn't "realistically" get from an experimental super-soldier serum. Some of them made sense, like Magic and Darkforce Control, but some were just stupid. He allowed Light Control (basically making light and lasers)... but not Shadow Control, which is kind of the same thing.

    He also forced everyone to take limits on their powers that made it virtually impossible to run the ideas we originally pitched to him when rolling the characters. Or at least he did it with mine; if the guy with Kinetic Control can make a gun out of a hollow tube of metal and his finger with minimal effort, I see no reason why it should require the equivalent of several feats to have a miniscule chance of turning your character into water and being able to move yourself around when that's what you dumped literally all of your non-attribute points into...

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubs View Post
    1) It wasn't a game, just a LFG post, but was along the same theme of irrationality. The poster started out voicing a desire for a RP heavy game, but by 2 paragraphs in it had devolved into a rant about how cure light wound wands obsoleted clerics. People started asking why he felt that way considering clerics can do other things, and we finally figured out he had never actually played 3.5 or Pathfinder. It all stemmed from some kind of wand related trauma from playing D&D Online.

    2) I've had a DM ban autohypnosis because being able to remember things was too powerful.

    3) I had a DM try to nerf archery by making it really, really hard to buy any quivers. Edit: Okay, more a semi-ban, but it was just ridiculous that we went into major cities and all the blacksmiths just happened to have sold their last one. Come to think of it, he did the same thing with mules, because he thought inventory and weight tracking was the greatest thing ever.
    Options 2, and 3 are easily solvable with fabricate. Man I love fabricate.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    I've had a GM ban feats.

    Like. The entire concept. From everything that wasn't a Fighter.

    His reasoning was that since fighter bonus feats were a Fighter's only class features, no one and nothing else should have feats AT ALL.

    It was a....interesting game to say the least?

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Svata's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, GA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    Bards. Because "they're either useless or broken and way too versatile."
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

    Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunnydale

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    I had a DM ban everything from Eberron. We weren't playing in any particular setting; people were mixing Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Ravenloft content. The supposition was that Eberron stuff was "too strong" while both the Wizard/Incantatrix and the DMM Cleric stacking Nightsticks were perfectly OK.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    nedz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    London, EU
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    PrCs, because they are all flangey overpowered munchkinny non-sense and then he allowed someone to play an Ur Priest. Eldritch Knight and Enlightened Fist were still not allowed.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.


    Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

    Avatar by Caravaggio

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    molten_dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The State of Denial
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

    I had a DM ban characters over 3rd level once. They were too complicated for her.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

    My Homebrew

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •