New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Best format for campaign setting books

I've been working on a campaign setting for the last three or four years and have now reached a point where I think I pretty much have all the essential elements designed to make it a complete world that can stand on its own feet.
    Now I want to publish it to a larger audience for free. But all the material consists of notes and ideas in my head, which now all need to be written down. And I am still quite unsure how to structure such a document.

It's not a super complex and detailed world like Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Golarion, Planescape, or Legend of the Five Rings. It's probably more like the first versions of Greyhawk and very early Forgotten Realms, Red Tide, or the setting from Dragon Age. Not a big franchise universe, but not a mini-setting either.

Lot's of people have a very high regard for the first edition Grey Box set for Forgotten Realms, and I personally quite like The Savage Frontier supplement for it. Structuring my own setting in such a style might work quite well. But I was really wondering what other people think about good ways to present a new setting.
    Have you any preferences for what topics are being covered and how everything is sorted into useful categories?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Best format for campaign setting books

It depends, what sort of content-chunks do you have?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you considered releasing it as a wiki instead of as a book?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

The FRCS from D&D 3.0 is one of the most highly regarded setting books of which I know. You could start there.
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    People are capable of some crazy stuff when there's another guy trying to poke you with a sharp bit of metal and make your insides go on your outside.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I'd go with a combination of organizing it by usefulness and size of the chunks.

So, you start with some relatively small chunks that are immediately useful... things like adjustments to standard race and class rules. This makes those portions easy to reference while creating a character ("My ranger has to do what now?"), and also helps convey the tone.

You then go to non-geographical world information... things like the calendar, some general economic facts (coins in international trade), moving into religion and the available deities. It's useful stuff to know, might be needed for some people to have handy, but can be in the middle of the book since you don't need it all the time.

Lastly, the Gazeteer... where's where in your world, and who's who once you get there. It's the kind of big information not every player needs, but which afficianados of your world will want to pore over.

The downside of a wiki, IMO, is that it's easier to miss things... important information that didn't happen to be linked on the page you looked at. But I'm also an old man.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

FRCS seems to be pretty standard regarding layout, but I am not sure it's necessarily a really good one. I've seen other books do things differently, and so I am considering my other options.

Online wiki is quite useful too look up specific things, but I think not so good to get an introduction into a completely new setting. But since it's going to be free either way and it's all stuff I wrote myself, it won't be much trouble to simply copy the individual sections into a wiki as well.
    But a book can have structure and explain each element in a sensible order.

The current index I have in mind looks like this:

Heroes/PCs
    Races and Classes
    Honor and Allegiance (Subsystems)
    The Role of Heroes
    The World
    History
    Calender
    Beasts and Plants (overview)
    Social structure (general)
    Weapons and Technology
    Religion
    Magic
    Spirits and Demons (overview)
    The Peoples
    [Individual entries]
    Languages
    Region Codex
    [Individual entries]

Seems serviceable, but I am always looking for ways for improvement. Regarding each specific entry, I am thinking of something like in the first edition forgotten realms book. I separated peoples from regions, because most peoples are spread over multiple regions, and there's usually several groups present in any specific areas. As society is based much more on ethnic groups than states, that seems the practical choice.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

That looks good. My limited editing experience has yeilded some possible changes. See what you think. Also, how many words/pages is this document?

Heroes/PCs
    The Role of Heroes
    Races and Classes
    Honor and Allegiance (Subsystems)
    The World
    History
    Social structure (general)
    Weapons and Technology
    Calender
    Religion
    Magic
    Spirits and Demons (overview)
    Beasts and Plants (overview)
    The Peoples
    [Individual entries]
    Languages
    Region Codex
    [Individual entries]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I have no idea yet. I think I am aiming at about 100 pages.