A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

Q246 Does putting poison into a Scorpion Tail Whip carry the same risks as smearing poison on a weapon?

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

2. - Top - End - #572
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q240 - the previous is not ten characters long
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post

When applying multiple templates does a Titanic (MM2) Dungeonbred (Du) creature get its size changed before the application of the Titanic size increase or after?

I'm vaguely remembering some sort of priority among templates involving acquired vs inherited vs unlabeled...

3. - Top - End - #573
    Bugbear in the Playground

A240:

Inherited templates are always applied before acquired templates. Other than that, you default to the old "apply in whichever order is most beneficial" rule, unless your DM chooses to abide by the type pyramid in Savage Species.

Titanic isn't labeled as inherited or acquired. Which it falls under would be up to the DM but the description of Titanic hints pretty clearly that it should be considered an acquired template ("Titanic creatures are created as the result of powerful transformation magic as well as forces of nature gone awry. [...] The transformation usually leaves a titanic creature confused or bewildered."). As a result, you'd apply Dungeonbred first, and then Titanic.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Q241;

My class gives me a Bite and two Claw attacks.

How exactly does it work with a charachter?
    - Can i use a weapon along with those?
    - Can i use my unarmed strike along with those? (assuming i have the feat)
    - Can i use a shield?
    - Assuming i have +6 BAB, how does my (best possible) full attack routine look?
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

A 247

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    - Can i use a weapon along with those?
    Only if you use the weapon with an appendage other than the one that contains a claw.
    - Can i use my unarmed strike along with those? (assuming i have the feat)
    Yes, even without the feat, but without it you incur all the penalties for attacking with an unimproved unarmed strike.
    - Can i use a shield?
    You can but any claw attack on the arm using the shield, cannot be used.
    - Assuming i have +6 BAB, how does my (best possible) full attack routine look?
    Assuming no STR bonus TWF, ITWF and the claws not being on the arms that wield the weapon: +4 (Weapon, can even be two-handed), +4 (Unarmed Strike), +1 (Claw), +1 (Claw), +1 (Bite), -1 (Weapon), -1 (Unarmed Strike). Without iTWF remove the second attack with the Unarmed Strike. You do not want to use that combo without the TWF feat. If the claws are on the limbs that wield the weapon, remove as many claw attacks as limbs involved in the wielding.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-09-19 at 11:13 AM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 241 additional

If you don't have Two Weapon Fighting or Improved Unarmed Strike then it probably comes out like this:
    +6 weapon, +1 weapon, +1 Bite, +1 Claw, (+1 Claw).
    The second +1 Claw is bracketed as it depends on the limb with the claw not holding anything - usually it will be holding your weapon.

Some explanation:
    Only manufactured weapons and unarmed strikes get iterative attacks.
    If you only have natural attacks then one is primary (full bonus) and the rest are secondary (at -5).
    If you mix manufactured and natural weapons then all naturals are secondary (at -5) - hence the bite/claw/claw being at +1.

There is the feat Multiattack - this lowers the secondary natural attack penalty to -2
    So if you take multi-attack before two-weapon fighting (generally I think it will get you a better benefit) the sequence above becomes:
    +6 weapon, +4 Bite, +4 Claw, (+4 Claw,) +1 weapon.

Edit: As Andezzar said, even without the feat you can use the Unarmed Strike as well (though there are rules about two-weapon fighting and unarmed strike) but without the feats such attacks will provoke Attacks of Opportunity.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2014-09-19 at 09:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Heads up everyone, Gandariel's "Q 241" and answers should be numbered "247" as the "Q 240" was just a repost.

Q 248

Does the Marshal's Motivate Dexterity aura apply to Move Silently checks?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-09-19 at 10:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 248 Yes - as it applies to dexterity-based skill checks and Move Silently is a skill check.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q249

Is a wizard allowed to scribe a metamagic'd spell in his spellbook? Or exist options, classes, feats to do so?

What i mean is: can a wizard learn a Charm Person as a Quickened Charm Person and scribe it in the spellbook as a 5th level spell? This involves in no way preparing the spell, I'm talking just about scribing in the spell book already metamagic'd.
    I'm Italian, thus I'm historically predisposed to ignorance.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

A 249

No. There is no metamagiced spell formula. There is only the normal spell. Metamagic is applied during preparation (prepared casters) or during casting (spontaneous casters.

A wizard could however research a spell that has the effect of charm person but has a casting time of a swift action, if the DM permits.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Orc in the Playground

q 250
    I recall reading about a (fairly useless, gamewise) sorcerer sub-type which was bound to his house - i.e., could not leave it. I am pretty sure it is D&D 3.5.
    Any ideas as to class and sourcebook? I want to use it for an NPC
    1) "Let's split up!"
    2) silence
    3) TPK

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Q 251 (or is it Q 258?)

Would a Half-Dragon Ettin retain the simple and martial weapon proficiencies from the giant type, or would it lose them because it's type is changed to dragon by the template?

13. - Top - End - #583

Q 252

Could a Schism be targeted independently (that is, separately from the creature who manifested it) by any spell, power, skill, class ability, or special ability?
    Last edited by Kalaska'Agathas; 2014-09-20 at 06:06 AM.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

Q 253

Does a disguise work through a sending spell?

• If you're known to the target and disguised, does the target automatically see through it?
    • If you're unknown to the target and disguised as someone known to the target, does the target automatically see through it?
    • If you're unknown to the target and disguised as someone else unknown to the target, which one does the target see?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

A 253

It does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You contact a particular creature with which you are familiar and send a short message of twenty-five words or less to the subject.
    Disguises do not matter, only familiarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The subject recognizes you if it knows you.
    Again, only knowledge matters, not the presence of a disguise. If the caster is unknown to the target, the target gets no information who is sending the message.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-09-20 at 01:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 251 No.

Some creatures have a selection of type or subtype traits included (copied) as racial traits, or as Special Qualities (example: construct traits). Unfortunately for your example, Ettin do not copy Giant traits as racial characteristics; upon changing to Dragon type they would lose all Giant type traits, and gain Dragon type traits instead.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 254

Can a level 1 cleric with the magic domain cast pretty much any wand without a check (not including druid spells stored in wands and the like)?

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

A 254

Without a UMD check, yes. Wands work. perfectly. However there is a failure chance (caster level check) with scrolls if his effective wizard level is not high enough, just as for any other wizard or cleric in case of divine scrolls.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 254

The level 1 Cleric with the Magic domain can use wands of spells from the Cleric class list, the Magic domain list, their other domain(s), and the Wizard class list. They cannot use wands containing other spells:
    • Cleric domain spells not available to this character
    • Sorcerer-only spells
    • Druid spells
    • Assassin spells
    • Ranger spells
    • Wu Jen spells
    • & c.

So this character can use wands of many D&D spells, but not "pretty much any wand".

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

Reposted as i has been a couple of days without reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Q 228

Can an Incorporeal creature attack an adjacent creature from within a solid object/the ground (without penalty)?

In the standard great wheel cosmology, what planes are coterminous/coexistent with which transitive planes?

Q 230

If a medium creature is lying prone underneath a hip-high table that is about a third of the size of its square, what kind of cover bonus against what kind of attack would it benefit from, and conversely, would it be subject to any penalties beyond those stemming from lying prone?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 255

When living creature transform into undead, what will happen with it's grafts and symbionts?

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 255

Most grafts require attachment to living flesh to function; that includes undead, deathless, elemental, and plant grafts as well as the more common race-based types. However, there are some exceptions which would still function on an Undead creature.
    Weapon Graft: While most grafts are living tissue attached to another living body, a weapon graft is exactly what the name suggests: a normal, masterwork, or magic melee weapon grafted onto the hand of a thrall so it is never unarmed. The weapon actually becomes a natural weapon, though its other properties are unchanged.
    The rules don't state how quickly a graft will die when it's no longer attached to a living body; you'll need to talk to your individual DM about that.

23. - Top - End - #593

A 228

An incorporeal creature can attack from inside an object with no penalties on its attack roll. However the target has total concealment and the incorporeal creature can only 'see' creatures adjacent to it.

An incorporeal creature can enter or pass through solid objects, but must remain adjacent to the object’s exterior, and so cannot pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own. It can sense the presence of creatures or objects within a square adjacent to its current location, but enemies have total concealment (50% miss chance) from an incorporeal creature that is inside an object. In order to see farther from the object it is in and attack normally, the incorporeal creature must emerge. An incorporeal creature inside an object has total cover, but when it attacks a creature outside the object it only has cover, so a creature outside with a readied action could strike at it as it attacks. An incorporeal creature cannot pass through a force effect.
    Bolded for emphasis.

Q 256

Cry of Ysgard summons 2d4 creatures, but only allows 4 to be controlled. If you summon 6 at one time are 2 automatically dismissed?

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 257

Does the second level of Human Paragon progresses Spellcasting if you get the first level before having a spellcasting class? Eg. Human Paragon 1/Wizard 1/ Human Paragon +2, do I have CL 3 or 1?

A 256

Indeed they would.

No matter how many times you cast this spell, you can control no more than four bariaur rangers; others are released from service and return to Ysgard immediately. You choose which creatures to release.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-09-20 at 08:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

A 257

Yup. The presence of a spellcasting class is only checked at the 2nd level of the PrC

26. - Top - End - #596

Q 258

Can a cleric rebuke a vampire, force it to make them a vampire, and then order the vampire to release them from control? It says that a vampire cleric cannot use their rebuke undead on the vampire that controls them, but if you already controlled the vampire do you maintain it after rising?

Q 259

Does a lich's phylactery cost 60,000 gp to create due to its market price being 120,000 gp, and magic items being created at half value?
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2014-09-20 at 11:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 260

Where can I find the Heavy Fortification Gemstone? I could swear it was in the Draconomicon, but can't seem to find it.

Q 261

Is there any spell that raises Carrying Capacity directly (ie. not Str bonus)?

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 260 Page 83.

You've got the right book.

A 261 partial

Wild Runner (Spell Compendium, page 239) turns you into a Centaur, gaining the quadruped's increased carrying capacity. Demon Wings (Book of Vile Darkness, page 91) lets you fly with greater than a light load, which is an increase in carrying capacity for that movement mode.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-09-21 at 02:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Q 262

If you apply the half-fiend template to a creature of animal intelligence (i.e. 2), does it automatically gain some kind of language (Abyssal, Infernal or Common?) if the base creature lacks one, or must it spend ranks in the Speak Language skill to gain one?

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 262 N/A.
    Creating A Half-Fiend

"Half-fiend" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
    A creature with INT 2 is not a legal target for the Half-Fiend template.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-09-21 at 03:45 AM.