A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default [IC] A New World

Each hero of the New World has ascended after defeating their opponent in their continent. Many turn the tides of massive wars, while others slay fearsome beasts or destroy sinister artifacts. However, they all begin their new story here - in The Tavern.

The bright light that brought you to the New World fades, and as your senses adjust, you find yourself comfortably seated at a wooden table. Looking around, you see faces - for some, there are a few who are familiar, but for the most part, you are with strangers. The room is strangely quiet, but you hear the echo, each person in the room hearing the voice of their god. "These are your new allies. Fight with them, and you shall go far."

Once the echoing voice fades, a door opens slightly, shimmering sunlight pouring through. You can hear the hustle and bustle of a village outside, and the doorway seems to beckon to you. However, table rattles, magically carving an image into itself. A moment later, there are three maps, clearly labeled as "World", "Country", and "Town".

The "World" map is divided into hexes, about a centimeter to a side, each with tiny symbols to mark mountains, forests, plains, and other features. A mark at each side of the hex notes that one hex is a hundred miles - which means the map represents more than five thousand miles to a side. Furthermore, the map is colored with six colors - red, blue, yellow, purple, green and orange. The areas are mostly divided by huge mountain ranges, but where the colors meet, the hexes shimmer and change. Finally, a deeply gouged circle marks your place in the world, near a huge city that seems to take up nearly an entire hex.

The "Country" map is not divided like the "World", showing the massive city in the center and your position as in a village nearby - this map is noted to represent only about five hundred miles to a side. A river flows only a few miles to the west of your village, turning to run through a forest a dozen or so miles to the north. The settlements form in rings around the city, getting bigger as they get closer, from a dot to a centimeter-diameter circle in four rings.

The "Town" map is more detailed than the rest, and shows a myriad of moving pinpricks, noted to represent people. It represents only fifty miles to a side, depicting the nearby countryside (including the forest and the river), as well as the city itself, marking each building and it's function. You can see a blacksmith, a tailor, an apothecary, a church, a general store, a sort of city hall, and many others. The entire map is colored, the wood darkening and lightening in spots throughout. Notably, the city hall is blackened, and dots of dark wood appear above the blacksmith and four houses of varying size, while the countryside is almost entirely light. However, unlike the rest of the map, this remains unexplained.

Once the party reviews the map, the door slowly creaks fully open. The New World welcomes you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] A New World

Dexter draws out a journal and ink set from a side pocket on his backpack that seems to small to hold its contents. He quickly tries to sketch the maps into his journal while introducing himself.

Oh, umm hello. I'm Dex and these two he says pointing to Scorpio and Henry are my friends. If I don't seem too surprised to find myself magicked to a tavern and surrounded by strangers, it's only because that's not even the weirdest thing to happen to us today.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I believe that we should try to make friend at the blacksmith's and those darkly marked buildings. Darkness is usually where the interesting things happen. I'm Scorpio by the way.
    Scorpio sits in the corner under his bright red and slightly scorched robes, when everyone is finished with their introductions he leaves to go to the blacksmith's unless there is a better idea presented.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clear skies to you. I am Velik Emetch, first of Kaerixen. These are my friends... Velik looks left and right and frowns slightly. It appears I am sufficient to pursue the Fire Lord's will in this land. He studies the map carefully. Well, those dark spots do seem odd. The lord says we should endeavor to bring light unto darkness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The massive Jotun, with his wings and tentacles, laughs.
    First my people exile me, now it seems the world wants rid of me! Well, by Kord's bulging biceps, I'll have to fight twice as hard then.
    A tentacle reaches over to Velix. It stops at about halfway between chest and waist and maybe three feet from him.
    I am Drangeer Bonecrusher, mighty warrior of Kord.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Velik shakes the tentacle. Pleased to meet you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Cassius grunted, looking around him. He wasn't sure exactly why he was here, especially as he never thought himself a religious person, with no prayer other than the common military saying, "Let Halmyr smile on our crusade." It was strange, specifically for him, for he did nothing more then fight, no more than any other soldier.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

This is the best I can do with only one color of ink. Dexter says while presenting the heavily annotated maps to those gathered around the table.

I think we should scout out city hall from a distance. If the dark spots are signs of corruption it might be wise to keep our presence hidden. Dex turns and looks at Drangeer size and tentacles. But that might be a lost cause.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Drangeer shrugs.
    Hey, how do you know tentacles and wings aren't normal around here? Maybe Kord has decided to send me somewhere where I fit in.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"We have quite the motley group here..." Henry looks around at the others.
    "I am Henry and this.." he pets the large drakkensteed's snout. "is Orion."Besides Dexter my alittle dragon may also warrant some unwanted attention, but we shall deal with that when we get to that point."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Dexter laughs You're right Drangeer, I might be out of place. This might be the land of intelligent oozes and we all get shunned for having bones. One way to find out I suppose.

Dex stands up from the table, places his journal in his bag, and peeks out the open door.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have ways of finding out how well we all will fit in here... the easiest of which is to simply walk outside. I suggest we head to the blacksmith first if subtlety and investigation are our goals. Nothing is particularly suspicious about visiting a local business and asking a few innocent questions about the latest news while replacing a damaged belt buckle. Velik walks over and holds the door open while gesturing for the group to go first. We can get to know each other on the way. What do you say? Velik smiles broadly.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As Dexter peeks out the door, a tiny ringing sound is heard. A young child nearby glances at the door, his eyes looking up and meeting Dexter's, the growing wide. He dashes off, and a moment later you hear him cry "Mother! Mother! Heroes!"

Ten seconds later, a crowd gathers around the door, staring in awe and, to a degree, expectation. Voices murmur throughout the crowd, evaluating the party from stolen glances. "That man... Did he have tentacles?" "Forget tentacles, I think he had wings..." "The stranger, the better. Remember Rure?" "I think I saw a dragon!" "Goodness, how many are there?"

Then, as Velik opens the door, the crowd falls dead silent. Dozens of eyes fall upon him, looking hopeful and instantly placing their trust with this stranger. Then, a man in what seems to be a worn noble's outfit timidly speaks. "We... We ought to get the mayor over here. He'll want to talk to you for sure." He whispers to a thin, raggedly dressed man to his left, and the lanky man sprints away.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-08-26 at 12:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

About a minute later, you can hear the clattering of a horse-drawn carriages on cobblestones, and the crowd parting for the new arrival. A middle-aged man, presumably the mayor, steps out of the center carriage out of three, cane in hand. He wears a gold-trimmed silk suit, and his cane has an ornate golden falcon's head, but his attire seems to be old and worn. He walks to the door and clears his throat, then begins to speak in a deep voice, one that would be very commanding if it wasn't tempered by inflections of timidity.

"Ahem! Greetings, heroes! Welcome to Talus Ridge. I am Mayor Abel Perur. By divine decree, we will provide mundane accommodations for you - You are technically not required to provide any services in return, but, as seems to be the case of every town... there are problems. If you would like to accompany me back to the city hall, I'm sure we could find a mutually beneficial arrangement. Otherwise, feel free to get to know our humble settlement - The Tavern will provide food and shelter, but if there's anything else you would like, just ask."

Abel walks back to his carriage and gets in, and waits a moment to see if any of the party follows in either carriage to the left or right.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-08-27 at 05:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Velik allows whomever decides to exit to pass and then ducks out of sight into the tavern for a moment. Lord grant me insight into the hearts of the people. He stealthily casts Detect Thoughts and returns to address the people. Morning fire to you all. I am Primate Velik Emetch, first priest of Kaerixen, Lord of Life. I hear the title of hero being spoken. The Lord tells us that the brightest flame burns hottest and changes the world with unmatched fury. But without people to warm and protect from the dark, the fire simply destroys and consumes and dies. Thus, the hero is made by the people he guards. He then walks amongst the people, shaking hands and reading minds for anything interesting or out of place. Until the carriages pull up and he focuses on the Mayor.
    Last edited by firebrandtoluc; 2014-08-26 at 05:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Drangeer laughs at Velik's flowery speech
    Calm down priest, you'll have plenty of time for the conversions later. Let's earnt he title of hero around here before we start abusing it
    He appraises the mayor
    Do you gentlemen have any kind of lotion? My tentacles are feeling a bit dry.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    For reference, his tentacles are more like the ones on a displacer beast than the ones on a mind flayer.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Cassius looked up and down at the people around him, scrutinizing their every moves, his face in distaste at the being addressed as heroes, his gaze focused especially on the mayor. Heroes don't exist.

"We aren't heroes, mayor, but I could do with dinner." He especially emphasized heroes.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The people listen in awe at Velik, some of the better-dressed ones scribbling notes on paper. They listen to his every word with rapt attention... until Drangeer steps up. Then, they gape at his wings, tentacles and size. At the mention of lotion, no less than three people offer up small containers of such a salve, holding their arms up in hopes of being chosen.

Cassius, on the other hand, seems less enthused. The mayor stops mid step, stumbling and regaining balance with his cane, then turns around, looking apologetic. He waves a hand, and the clamor momentarily stops. "Ah, I'm terribly sorry. I haven't explained The Tavern, have I? It is a divine building, housing for the champions of the gods. Simply ask within, and you shall receive. It seems mostly limited to food and shelter, though I think the halls have records of trinkets being brought in... In any case, it is well warded from anyone but you her- erm, what title would you like to go by? Regardless, you are safe in The Tavern from all but others such as yourself.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Titles?
    Drangeer scratches his head with a tentacle, taking a salve with the other.
    Thank you good man.
    He returns his attention to the mayor as the tentacles begin applying the salve to each other.
    Never had much use for titles, beyond Champion, but that one's gotta be earned in combat. Just call me Drangeer.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Ah, very well, Drangeer. I suppose I could call you champions, if hero is not palatable... In any case, just speak what you would like to The Tavern and it will accommodate you. But, I really must get back to the city hall - your arrival has set delicate timeframes in place."

The mayor continues walking to his carriage and gets in, and it begins to depart. The two carriages to its left and right, however, remain, and two drivers step from the reins and hold the doors open.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

When everyone is done with The Tavern, Velik boards the left carriage. He smiles and waves to the crowd when driving off.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

What's wrong with heroes? Heroic tales were always my favorite.

Dex points to each of his allies in turn as he casts a short spell. This'll let us stay in contact for the next hour. Whisper if something comes up.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not sure if I am comfortable with the word Hero...." Henry keeps the young ones from touching the dragon, Orion being very on edge from the sudden excitement.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the word hero. Just that we haven't done anything besides apparently step out of a magical tavern to earn the title.
    Drangeer looks at the carriages.
    I don't like the look of those things. I would prefer to walk.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

"Heroes don't exist. It's simply a title the weak put on the strong in hopes of protection, and only fools attempt to protect others." With that, he briskly walked towards the right carriage, grunting at the driver and sitting down.
    Last edited by Bluydee; 2014-08-27 at 05:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Those following or riding in the carriages reach the city hall fairly quickly - the carriages move with a restrained urgency, and after a few minutes you reach the city hall. Immediately, a few lanterns catch your eye - three separate chains of light lead away from the building, created with what seem to be specialized bullseye lanterns. The city hall itself is fairly mundane - an old, two story building, stretching a hundred yards or so across, mostly made of dark, painted wood. An imposing fence surrounds the area, with a large gate in the center through which the carriages pass. Each parks to either side of a central fountain, ornately carved out of a single piece of stone, but with several more delicate parts broken off and with no water. The carriages then stop, the drivers opening the doors to let the party out. They lead the party into the building, and then into a main auditorium where the mayor is sitting at a central table, speaking to a dozen noblemen.

"Ah, thank you, for coming. We have some things to discuss."

Abel, the mayor, pulls down a map, looking almost identical to the Town map in The Tavern. However, the area of the town looks significantly larger, with more farmland - except much of the farmland is crossed out. "There have been... troubles, lately, in our town. Our militia does its best, but we've lost almost half our farmland, and no one dares venture into the woods, where much of our income once laid. Some... some come back, but raised as undead. Wild animals seem to be driven into our city, creatures who would normally be satisfied to maintain their distance."

He points to the forest, where you can see he has drawn an X. "We sent a scouting party into the forest, a few months back. Only two men made it back, and one was... too far gone. Still, the head forester got us a small amount of information. He had noticed strange patterns of the wild animals - some unusually large, or aggressive. Tracking one of them, the group made it to the edge of a clearing, but were chased away. Wolves, bears, even a few herbivores, working together. That's our first concern."

Then, he points to another point, where a circle in the countryside has been drawn. "Our second concern involves the undead. Necromancy is... worrying. The undead seemed to come from this direction, and so we sent a small scouting party. They didn't find any undead, but found a tunnel, into the ground. One scout went in, and didn't come out."

Finally, Abel sighs, putting his hands down on the table. "Unfortunately, much of our problems come from lack of funds, and so payment would be delayed. I can offer you what we have - there's at least a few thousand gold we can scrape up, if we need to. However, I can assure you that you will be fully compensated over time, once our industry is re-established. I offer you ten thousand gold, in addition to what we can get you immediately. And of course, anything you find, you can keep."

He looks at the party, his eyes full of both worry and hope.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Before the carriages depart, Drangeer comments on the man's opinion of heroes.
    Well, it seems someone needed a hero on the playground.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

Cassius looks at Drangeer strangely, and not because of the tentacles.

"What is this, "playground"? Is it a metaphor for war?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

To have such a cynical view, you clearly gotten picked on when you were a kid. Wish I'd been there. Abuses of strength are an afront to Kord.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Dexter updates his map based on the mayor's before turning to his fellows.

Sorting out the mess in the forest gets my vote and I'm ready to leave when the rest of you are. I'll be waiting in the church while you prepare.