Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default OOC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

TO THE LOST MINE OF PHANDELVER... AND BEYOND! because frankly infinity was just too much
    EXPLORE subterranean labyrinths! PLUNDER hoards of treasure! BATTLE legendary monsters! STEAL taglines from the back of the starter set box!

A HANDY LINK TO THE IN CHARACTER THREAD and now to finish the joke AND placate my OCD!

Fra Lippo, with Corrin Strongjaw.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 15 HP: 12/12
    INIT: +3 HD: 1d10+2

Melee Attack: Mace (+3 to hit, 1d6+1)
    Ranged Attack: Shortbow (+5 to hit, 1d6+3, range 80ft/320ft)

Passive Perception: 9
    drbraininajar, with Doran Redhill.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 10 HP: 7/7
    INIT: +0 HD: 1d6+1

Melee Attack: Quarterstaff (+3 to hit, 1d6+1 , versatile 1d8+1)
    Ranged Attack: Firebolt (+4 to hit, 1d10, flammable target ignites if unattended, range 120ft)

Passive Perception: 12
    Foodle, with Ellyjobell-Beren-Badger.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 16 HP: 8/8
    INIT: +3 HD: 1d8+0

Melee Attack: Shillelagh (+5 to hit, 1d8+3, magical)
    Ranged Attack: Produce Flame (+5 to hit, 1d8, range 30ft)

Passive Perception: 13
    gearHead, with Arduin Magebreaker.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 19 HP: 16/16
    INIT: +3 HD: 1d12+4

Melee Attack: Warhammer (+5 to hit, 1d8+3 bludgeoning, versatile 1d10+3)
    Melee/Ranged Attack: Handaxe (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 slashing, light)
    Melee/Ranged Attack: Javelin (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 piercing, range 30ft/120ft)

Passive Perception: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by gearHead View Post
    Spoiler: Arduin Magebreaker, Dwarven Barbarian
    Show
    Arduin Magebreaker
    Class & Level: Barbarian 1
    Race: Mountain Dwarf
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Background: Folk Hero

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    AC: 19 HP: 16/16
    INIT: +3 HD: 1d12+4
    Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Melee Attack: Warhammer (+5 to hit, 1d8+3 bludgeoning, versatile 1d10+3)
    Melee/Ranged Attack: Handaxe (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 slashing, light)
    Melee/Ranged Attack: Javelin (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 piercing, range 30/120)

STR: 17 [+3]
    DEX: 16 [+3]
    CON: 18 [+4]
    INT: 11 [+0]
    WIS: 15 [+2]
    CHA: 4 [-3]

Saves: STR and CON
    Speed: 25 ft
    Passive Perception: 14

Languages: Common, Dwarvish

Skills
    STR
    +5 Athletics

DEX
    +3 Acrobatics
    +3 Sleight of Hand
    +3 Stealth

INT
    +0 Arcana
    +0 History
    +0 Investigation
    +0 Nature
    +0 Religion

WIS
    +4 Animal Handling
    +2 Insight
    +2 Medicine
    +4 Perception
    +4 Survival

CHA
    -3 Deception
    -3 Intimidation
    -3 Performance
    -3 Persuasion

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Arduin is a dusky-skinned, incredibly ugly bear of a dwarf, his bulky frame covered head to toe with grotesque, disfiguring scars that run in jagged pink swaths criss-crossing his leathery hide. His face appears broken, his lower lip twisted and perpetually drooling, his upper lip curled into a snarl on the right side, with a long gash rising towards his eye and leaving his jaw partially exposed. That eye is swollen and discolored, and incapable of closing. The left side of his face is wrinkled and riddled with bulging veins, and his hair no longer grows on that half of his head. His back is hunched, and he walks with a bit of a stagger with one foot twisted inward, though if either of these disabilities effect his speed or strength he seems to have learned to compensate for it. He wears simple clothing, a deerskin cloak and boots with a sleeveless cotton work shirt and durable leather pants; he makes no effort to disguise or hide his heavy disfigurement.

Spoiler: Roleplay
    Show
    Personality: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way. Arduin is stubborn, even for a dwarf, but is not by nature confrontational. When he disagrees with someone, he will simply continue with what he believes is the best course of action regardless of any protests, rather than arguing about it. On the other hand, he's no fool, and will defer to the wisdom of those he respects in situations where he is out of his depth. He tends to be terse in speech and introspective, but is not unduly rude, preferring to keep to himself. This is not mere shyness; he fears letting himself get close to others or allowing his emotions to reign over his actions, lest he inadvertently do something unthinkable. While he is a patient and careful man, there is a rage within him that threatens to erupt in times of stress or danger, one that he can neither quite control nor comprehend. While he doesn't concern himself much with what others think of his ugliness, he takes a simple pride in his physical ability, and can be hurt when it goes unacknowledged. He does have a soft spot for animals, who are unperturbed by his looks and don't judge him as others might; they seem to enjoy his company in turn.

Arduin's combat style relies more on his brute strength than studied technique, though he has good instincts in battle and is not normally a reckless fighter unless he sees he can get some advantage from it. He has no particular preference for any kind of weapon, picking up and using whatever's heavy and handy.

Defining Event: I stood alone against a terrible monster. Arduin did not get his scars by being clumsy. The Magebreaker clan lived a simple life far removed from other dwarven communities; its founders were highly distrustful of both magic and technology, anything they considered unnatural, and left their homeland to avoid conflict with other clans over matters of philosophy. Several years ago, an ambitious young warlock thought to gain himself a village of unusual minions, seeing the clan's isolation as an easily exploitable weakness. Setting upon the Magebreaker hamlet, he found a greater challenge than he had initially expected, as the dwarves lived up to their namesake and proved well-prepared to deal with magical threats. Unfortunately, the otherwise average caster had come across a powerful scroll, setting loose a summoned manticore on Arduin's people. The spell was so powerful, in fact, that the warlock himself could not control it; the beast ignored its would-be master, going on a wild rampage. Arduin fought it alongside his brothers and sisters, but they all fell one by one to the manticore's attacks or the warlock's spells until only he remained. Letting its beast focus on the young dwarf, the caster gleefully levied curse after curse on Arduin. But seeing his fallen clanmates around him, something broke inside him, and he went into a blinding, white-hot rage, shrugging off each jagged spine and twisted curse as if they were nothing; his mounting wounds seemed only to spur him on, not slow him down. Wrestling the manticore to the ground with his bare hands, he ripped two of its bladed spines from his own chest and stabbed out its eyes, and with a great roar it vanished back to where it had been summoned from. The warlock, fearing for his life, fled as well.
    Ideals: Freedom - tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people. The freedom to live the lifestyle they choose has always been an important tenet of the Magebreaker clan's customs, and Arduin holds it dear as well. After fighting off the warlock, he has a particular hatred for those who would seek to deny the freedom of others through force or fear.
    Bonds: I worked the land, I love the land, and I will protect the land. Arduin's people lived on the surface, deep in a wooded mountain valley, and survived mostly by farming and hunting boar, bears, and deer. He has a deep respect for nature, both its bounties and dangers.
    Flaws: The people who knew me when I was young know my shameful secret, so I can never go home again. While most of his clan hailed him as a hero, those who had actually witnessed Arduin's battle looked at him differently. His berserker rage had shown no discretion, doing more property damage than the manticore itself had and nearly catching a number of injured and unconscious dwarves in the crossfire. Arduin could see the fear in their eyes no matter how they tried to hide it, and knew he had lost their trust. He left home in search of challenges that would give him the opportunity to experience his rage again, and hopefully learn to direct it productively without hurting anyone innocent.

Curent Goal: Teach the Redbrands a Lesson. Most recently traveling in the region around Phandalin, Arduin heard from Gundren, a distant cousin of the Magebreaker clan he met up with early in his journey, that Daran Edermath was looking for people of courage and principle to teach some bullies a lesson. These thugs, the Redbrands, have been throwing their weight around in Phandalin, all too strong of a reminder of the warlock the dwarven warrior faced. Putting a stop to their villainy seems to be a worthy goal, and a suitable challenge.

Spoiler: Features
    Show
    Proficiencies:
    Weapons: All simple and martial
    Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
    Tools: Smith's tools, woodcarver's tools, vehicles (land)
    Saves: STR and CON
    Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, Perception, Survival

Racial Traits:
    • Darkvision
    • Dwarven Resilience (You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.)
    • Dwarven Combat Training
    • Stonecutting (Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.)
    • Dwarven Armor Training

Background Trait: Rustic Hospitality (Since you come from the ranks of the common folk, you fit in among them with ease. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among other commoners, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not risk their lives for you.)

Spoiler: Rage
    Show
    In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action. While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:
    • You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
    • When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table. (+2)
    • You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

If you are able to cast spells, you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action. Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table (2), you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.

Unarmored Defense: While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Feats
    None

Spoiler: Inventory
    Show
    Money: 40gp
    Weapons: Warhammer, Javelin (x4), Handaxe (x2)
    Armor: Shield
    Equipment:
    Consumables: 10 torches, 10 days of rations
    Gear: Smith's tools, woodcarver's tools, shovel, iron pot, common clothes, belt pouch, backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, waterskin, hempen rope (50ft)
    Yuki Akuma, with Julius Ludd.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 16 HP: 8/8
    INIT: +3 HD: 1d8

Melee Attack: Cane or Unarmed (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning)
    Ranged Attack: Dart (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 piercing, light)

Passive Perception: 13

The DM gathers you together and says in a loud, booming voice, "Select your speech color, puny mortals, for I, your illustrious DM, shall be speaking like this!"* Then he begins to roll some dice, and with each clatter of the dice his grin begins to widen. "Tremble in fear, for now you are within my domain: a place where none yet have entered and survived!"

Funny Quotes So Far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jötunn View Post
    Funny Quotes So Far:
    ^Is it weird that I find this funny because of the naive optimism of a new PbP DM from the perspective of a relatively well-travelled PbP player? And that both of these are me?
    *additional commas sold seperately
    None have yet entered, so this is a lot less scary than it sounds.
    IF ANYONE FINDS THESE MESSAGES, DON'T MENTION THEM WITHOUT DOING IT THE SAME WAY YOURSELF, LET'S JUST SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR EVERYONE TO NOTICE! (YAY FOR FUN MINI-GAMES KIND OF IN THE OOC OP!)
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-09-07 at 08:20 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

Ok, a slightly more serious post, and some housekeeping.

I'd like everyone to pick a color, and check that their stats in the above spoilers are correct and also that I have linked to the correct sheet.

I'd also like to say that my goal is roughly a post from everyone a day, which I think is fairly standard. If you want something else, let's discuss that. If you aren't available to post for a day (or multiple days) please let us know, and I can either let you be run by another character or run you myself for that period of time. I will do so if you do not post for 48 hours (or possibly if I'm really bored). If you are gone for a full week, I will start contacting alternates. Unpleasant business, this, but it had to be said.

The mention I made of having to fiddle with people's backstories? I'll pm people in the next 24 hours hopefully, there's nothing drastic just some name changes etc.

Anything else we need to discuss? Feel like you're overshadowed by other people's characters? Something I do wrong as DM? Please, please let me know in this thread or by PM.
    Show
    None at the moment...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

My passive perception is 1 too high - it should be 13~

Also, I shall speak in bold dark purple. Because I am ninja. Sorta.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2014-08-23 at 09:34 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4

Show
    None at the moment...

5. - Top - End - #5

Ignore the fact that I may have left it saying Neverwinter instead of Amarand, they are totally not the exact same thing. Honest. And renaming a character. Had to do that too.

Good start, me.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-23 at 10:05 AM.
    Show
    None at the moment...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Super excited to get started! However, I'm assisting in the execution of my niece's birthday party today, so I likely won't be able to post IC until this evening.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I was gonna pick purple for Shani, but now I guess I'll go with medium blue instead.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, and I guess I'll go for this shade of brown. I think? It's a little hard to tell on my phone. :P

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Well, I was gonna pick purple for Shani, but now I guess I'll go with medium blue instead.
    Plenty of shades of purple to go around!

So. As my IC post may have indicated, I like the idea of his companions just writing Julius off as some fop who won't be very useful if there's a fight. Because it'll be funny.

Also I have no thieves' tools. I should take care of that when we get to town.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2014-08-23 at 01:39 PM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #10

Hi everyone!

I'll take Golden Rod Bold for Ellyjobell's speach and Golden Rod Italicized for her thoughts.

And for her mini stat block, she should have 16AC, 8/8hp, a 1d8+0 HD and a +3 to Initiative.

GearHead, just looking at your Barb, it should have 19AC instead of 21 too (+3 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Shield).
    DMing
    Part II: Search for the Tower (5e)
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I feel all lonely in the IC thread. :(

*hint hint*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Green for the mysteriously mystical half-orc

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

How mysterious!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whoops, you're right. I think I know what happened - I was going back and forth on whether to have Arduin use 1h + shield or a 2h weapon, and probably added the shield AC twice at some point.

EDIT: Here we are talking about passive perception, and then everyone gets awesome rolls but me. XD
    Last edited by gearHead; 2014-08-24 at 02:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, I didn't even make any rolls!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'll take Golden Rod Bold for Ellyjobell's speach and Golden Rod Italicized for her thoughts.

And for her mini stat block, she should have 16AC, 8/8hp, a 1d8+0 HD and a +3 to Initiative.

GearHead, just looking at your Barb, it should have 19AC instead of 21 too (+3 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Shield).
    I remember making those changes (except for the Barbarian AC thing) I swear it's been reverting things on me (like with the table in the recruitment thread).

Should be fixed now hopefully?

Also, I am all of a sudden feeling mighty outclassed with the level of writing here - be gentle with me.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-24 at 06:48 AM.
    Show
    None at the moment...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

No need to worry. You have a book to copy verbatim from~

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    No need to worry. You have a book to copy verbatim from~
    For the general descriptions, maybe. Describing combat, not so much.

I'm really just out of practise, and find it hard to be verbose in an interesting way.
    Show
    None at the moment...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Gasp! Are you hinting that there might be combat soon?

20. - Top - End - #20

Gasp! Are you hinting that there might be combat soon?

Would you believe me if I said no?

Show
    None at the moment...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I may possibly have already read the adventure.

Maybe.

Potentially.

Not giving away any spoilers to the people who haven't though.

22. - Top - End - #22

I may possibly have already read the adventure.

Maybe.

Potentially.

Not giving away any spoilers to the people who haven't though.
    You better not tell them about the mindflayer sorcerer pretending to be the mayor I mean wait crap.
    Show
    None at the moment...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

So... we don't get to see your attack rolls, huh? Or initiative rolls?

24. - Top - End - #24

So... we don't get to see your attack rolls, huh? Or initiative rolls?
    I did say in the original 16 that I'd be rolling dice. I can promise that I did roll for all of those. My job is to arbitrate and make sure everyone has fun, not to 'beat' you or anything. Even if it was to beat you, it wouldn't be fun for me if I was cheating.

If it helps, what happened was something like this:

The goblins rolled an 8 for their stealth, +6. Only Arduin was looking at the thickets on either side and had a passive perception that could beat that stealth roll.

Then the party rolled low on their initiatives (I think the highest was something like an 11) while the goblins rolled a 20.

Attack rolls I don't remember, but I wrote the post as I was attacking.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-24 at 08:16 AM.
    Show
    None at the moment...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I was assuming you'd at least tell us the results. Maybe not attack rolls, but certainly initiative. Shouldn't we know what order we're meant to be acting in?

26. - Top - End - #26

Ah, my bad, I didn't say - when it gets to it, we'll be doing group initiative. In this case, the goblins acted first as well as getting a surprise round on most of you. Once Arduin acts, the goblins will act and then everyone will act in whatever order people post. In most fights, we'll just alternate between everyone posting and then I'll post actions for all the enemies at once.

EDIT: This is up for discussion - if you still don't like doing things this way, I'll change. I just did what was easiest for me personally, but I want everyone to be happy.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-24 at 08:35 AM.
    Show
    None at the moment...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Alright.

Although you should probably tell us what the attack rolls were. One of us, at least, has the ability to add +5 to his AC in response to an attack - he might appreciate knowing when that's worthwhile!

I'm fine with group initiative. I just appreciate knowing we're using it beforehand. >.>
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2014-08-24 at 08:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Alright.

Although you should probably tell us what the attack rolls were. One of us, at least, has the ability to add +5 to his AC in response to an attack - he might appreciate knowing when that's worthwhile!

I'm fine with group initiative. I just appreciate knowing we're using it beforehand. >.>
    Ah, might have glossed over that part.

I'll post attack rolls in future.

Remember, I did say this would be my first pbp as DM as there are definitely some kinks that will need working out.
    Show
    None at the moment...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

You're doing fine. THere's always a few hicchups.

You're not screaming about how you're the DM and it's your call, after all. That puts you in the top fifty percent already.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Doran sent his owl to look around. of course if you were just going by passive perception then I suppose it wouldn't have made a difference (curse them stealthy gorblins and their stealth roll of 14! <shakes fist>)