Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 108
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jötunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fourecks

    Default IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    The Lost Mine Of Phandelver


    In the city of Amarand, a dwarf named Gundren Rockseeker asked you to bring a wagonload of provisions to the rough-and-tumble settlement of Phandalin, a couple of days' travel southeast of the city. Gundren was clearly excited and more than a little secretive about his reasons for the trip, saying only that he and his brothers had found "something big," and that he'd pay you ten gold pieces each for escorting his supplies safely to Barthen's Provisions, a trading post in Phandalin. He then set out ahead of you on horse, along with a warrior escort named Bravorn Trell, claiming he needed to arrive early to "take care of business".
    You've spent the last few days following the High Road south from Amarand, and you've just recently veered east along the Triboar Trail. You've encountered no trouble so far, but this territory can be dangerous. Bandits and outlaws have been known to lurk along the trail.

    You've been on the Triboar Trail for about half a day, guiding the wagon of supplies drawn by two oxen through deep valleys, over poorly maintained road and once through the woods around a fallen tree. As you come around a bend, you spot two dead horses sprawled about fifty feet ahead of you, blocking the path. Each has several black-feathered arrows sticking out of it. The woods press close to the trail here, with a steep embankment and dense thickets on either side.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ok, to start.

    I want three things in your first post:

    A description of you as you are now, travelling.

    What you did while travelling (are you riding on the wagon, walking next to the oxen, are you the one holding the reins - first in, best dressed!).

    Finally, your response to the above situation.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-23 at 10:03 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Julius Ludd doesn't really look like he belongs here, on the road guarding a cart of goods. The young man, no older than his early twenties, has the appearance of some manner of aristocrat or at least a member of the middle class. He's dressed in a black suit, worn over a black waistcoat and white shirt, complete with black tie and bowler hat. The lapel of his jacket has a red poppy worn through it. He has short, brown hair, and green eyes, as well as very clean skin of an average tone.

    The man has been rather lazy throughout this journey, mostly sitting on the back of the cart, only occasionally stepping off to walk alongside it to stretch his legs. He's been personable, talking to anyone who takes an interest, but he doesn't really have the appearance of an adventurer. Just what is he doing on this journey?

    As the cart slows to a stop, Julius turns his head to look out towards the front. "Hm? Why are we stopping?" he asks, before jumping to the floor without actually waiting for an answer. Walking around to the front of the cart, he stops mid-stride at the sight of the dead horses. And then he promptly jogs towards them, cupping one hand over his mouth. "Gundren?" he calls. Were these the dwarf and bodyguard's horses?

    Spoiler
    Show
    First in is indeed the best dressed. I do hope that post was adequate.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2014-08-23 at 10:03 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Foodle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Ellyjobell-Beren-Badger, Forest Gnome Druid

    Ellyjobell had taken to looking after and talking to the oxen, her small 3'4" frame lay lounging on the front seat, short dark hair that may have once been a lighter blonde if not for the dirt, hung down around her face, most of the leaves and twigs that were tangled in her hair at the start of this journey had long since fallen out and she'd been looking around the campsite at night for some fresh pine needles so she could crush and smoosh them over herself, she loved the smell of pine.

    As they'd been riding she'd gladly introduced herself to everyone along and happily attempted to share with them her favourite plants and animals, pulling out some charcoal sketches from a scroll-case she kept in her bags if anyone showed interest. Holding the reins casually in one of her hands as they made their way along the track, mainly to keep them form dragging along the road than from any desire to use them, she passed the time talking to both the oxen, and so far they where happy to go where she directed them.

    As they came around the bend the oxen slow themselves, <Blood...> they say to her slightly panicked, coming to a complete stop and pawing the ground nervously. Springing to her feet and up onto her tiptoes for a better look at what's blocking their path she lets out a gasp, hands going to her face "Oh no!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So far Ellyjobell has been casting Speak with Animals in it's ritual form (Takes 10min, doesn't use any spell slots) on and off during the journey so she could talk to the oxen etc.

    Also Perception to check out the horses from the back of the wagon, to see if they're still alive or what killed them is nearby: (1d20+3)[19]
    DMing
    Part II: Search for the Tower (5e)
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Shani has so far refrained from riding in the wagon, preferring to keep up a brisk walk alongside it; vexingly, she also insists on carrying all her equipment herself. Today is no different--clad as usual in her full scale mail, with her blue-dyed Conclave hood pulled up despite the absence of any real chill, she marches stoically beside the oxen at the front of the group. Underneath her hood, her plain features are arrayed in their customary expression of calm attentiveness, and she continually glances back and forth along the sides of the road, watching for any sign of danger. She hasn't precisely avoided conversation with her companions so far, but neither has she been especially outgoing, answering questions curtly and volunteering no unnecessary information.
    As the horses come into view, Shani almost imperceptibly raises her eyebrows in surprise. Troubling...an ambush site? We should be cautious--they may still be about. Before she can indicate as much to the others, however, Julius has already started making noise and moving towards the horses. Foolish. With an exasperated sigh, she turns back to the others. "Stay quiet. Whatever did this could still be nearby." Easing her sword in its scabbard, she slowly approaches the carcasses. The black-fletched arrows immediately draw her attention. Intriguing...do they identify the attackers? Who uses arrows like this?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Insight roll to see if I know of anyone who uses arrows like these in this area, or can discern anything else about the attackers from the bodies.

    (1d20+2)[20]

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    drbraininajar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    At the cart's reins sits Doran Redhill, a tall, lean half-orc man in his mid twenties, clad in the layered buckskin garb of the North. At first glance he could be mistaken for a hunter or warrior of some arctic tribe, but the totemic patterns of moons, stars, and owl faces beaded into the leather, as well as the owl feathers making up the trimming of his clothing and black bear-pelt cloak, marked him as a seer's apprentice. His hair is pleated into long braids tied back at the base of his neck, save for two braids that hang beside his temples and end in feathered amulets. Behind them his pointed ears, each adorned with a polished bone earspool, twitch occasionally at unusual sounds. A gnarled staff lay across his lap, its shamanic amulets rustling in the breeze. The forked end of the staff usually served as a perch for the white owl now dozing next to him on the cart. Snowshadow, as he was called, had eaten his fill of local rodents and had become bored by the journey. Have your rest, friend. I summoned you far from home. The owl was Doran's Spirit Brother, and he'd called upon Snowshadow shortly before they embarked. A wide, toothy yawn, like that of a great cat, opened on Doran's ashen-skinned face. He'd been at the reins for hours, but he wasn't the sort to abandon a post, even if offered a change of watch.
    Suddenly, the oxen slow up, spooked by something. Doran pulls back the reins to stop them. Ahead he sees the grisly sight of two slain horses. He watches as the human woman strides out for a closer look, and the gnomish shaman gasps. He winces as the fool with the cane shouts for their patron, Gundren, startling Snowshadow awake. Doran sends a mental whisper to the owl. I fear there are enemies about. Search for them and call to me when they are found, Brother Snowhadow. The owl nods, and flies off, circling the cart.
    Doran jumps down off his post, walks over to the foppish shouting man and claps a hand over the fool's mouth. He makes a 'shush' motion with his other hand, signaling the others. "Are you trying to get us shot at as well, Rich Man?" he whispers to Julius. He removes his hand for the man's mouth, makes a more emphatic shush motion, and joins the human woman by the horses. "What have you found, warrior?" he whispers to her.
    Spoiler: Owl Perception
    Show

    (1d20+3)[19]
    Owl Perception GO!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Arduin spent most of the journey on foot, well accustomed to long walks through the wilds; though sturdy, the oxen weren't particularly fast, and even his stunted gait kept up easily enough. He typically took up the rear, partly because it was wise for someone to watch their backs, but also to make it easier to avoid interacting with his fellow escorts. It was easy to understand why most people found him difficult to approach. He didn't hold it against them. Even disregarding his quiet personality, Arduin knew he was perhaps the ugliest living thing they had ever seen; he had been told so on numerous occasions, and believed it. However, his employers weren't hiring people for their looks, and Arduin's strength came well recommended - perhaps they even hoped his hideous appearance would keep trouble away. His companions seemed for the most part just as eager to leave the disfigured dwarf to his own devices, save the odd well-dressed man, who had been happy enough to carry on one-sided conversations with Arduin from his perch on the back of the cart. Arduin had appreciated the effort, though he doubted the sincerity of the man's friendship - who, after all, would want to befriend one such as himself?

    With the sudden commotion up ahead, Arduin discarded such distracting musings and rushed to join the rest of the group. A small spark of anger stirred at the sight of the slain horses, quickly quashed - now was not the time to lose control! While some of his fellows warned of ambush, the dwarf considered that perhaps this kill was not so fresh; he quietly set to searching the sides of the road for tracks or any other signs of passage, either for the unfortunate riders or those who had attacked them, keeping the javelin he had been using as a walking stick readied. Still, that stubborn spark remained, a haze creeping on the edge of his vision, keeping him from putting his full attention to the task.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Survival (1d20+4)[7]
    Last edited by gearHead; 2014-08-24 at 02:11 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jötunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fourecks

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Four of the party move forward to inspect the horses - Julius moves straight towards them, heedless of danger, while Shani and Doran move closely, followed hurriedly by Arduin. Ellyjobell is left to stare horrified at the quite clearly dead horses, which everyone can tell were those of their employer and his friend, Gundren and Bravorn. The four that move forward can also tell that the saddlebags have very clearly been rummaged through, and an empty map case lies nearby.

    As Shani moves to inspect the black fletching of the arrow, you hear the thrum of bowstrings and one, two, three, four arrows are fired into the trail from the thicket on either side. Ellyjobell is fired at from either side, one striking her while the other passes behind her back. Another near miss passes by Julian, and when an arrow sprouts out of Shani's shoulderblade she looks up to find her question answered:

    Goblins.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There are four goblins in the thicket, one on either side of the cart and two flanking the horses further down the path.

    The two closest to the cart fire at Ellyjobell, one missing and the other hitting dealing 3 piercing damage.
    One fires at Doran, missing, and the other hits Shani, dealing 5 piercing damage.

    Only Arduin gets to act in this surprise round before the goblins attack once again.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    drbraininajar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Spoiler: OOC, For Everyone
    Show
    The DM informed me that Doran's owl was in fact able to warn him in time, so it's me and Arduin in the surprise round. Let's get em, dwarf buddy!


    For a split-second. Doran sees a flashed image through Snowshadow's eyes. A goblin archer nocking an arrow. Instinctively, he rolls to the side, the arrow planting itself in the dirt. The sound of an arrow piercing flesh tells him his warrior ally had been hit.

    Doran brings the forked end of his staff in front of his face, sighting a snickering goblin archer. The half-orc mystic chants a few words of power and breathes in deeply. As he inhales, a ball of fire grows between the forks of the staff. Exhaling sharply, as if firing a blowgun, Doran sends the mote of flame careening toward the closest archer.

    Spoiler: attack roll
    Show
    rolling attack and damage together, for convenience. Just disregard the damage if I miss
    (1d20+4)[24] (1d10)[8]
    Last edited by drbraininajar; 2014-08-24 at 12:02 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jötunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fourecks

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    The goblin is enveloped in crackling fire and collapses, skin crackling and blistering before your eyes.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I didn't check till after the rolling the crit damage, but the first eight damage was enough to kill him.

    Poor goblin. All he does is kill, ambush and maim a few people and you go ahead and burn him to death in a single fireball
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    "Archers!" Arduin shouted as he heard the twang of bowstrings, raising his shield instinctively; though no arrows had been aimed at him, the dwarf's warning had come too late. With most of his allies caught off-guard, he reacted with surprising speed for someone so physically twisted; hurling his javelin at one goblin that had popped up near the horses as he charged up to engage the other, Arduin drew his warhammer from the loop at his belt and brandished it at the creature to keep it from menacing those already wounded.

    Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Attack (1d20+5)[9]
    Piercing damage (1d6+3)[7]
    Get into melee range with the other nearby goblin.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jötunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fourecks

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Arduin throws his javelin, but the goblin ducks and it sails over his head. As he charges, the goblin drops the bow, draws its sword and strikes, although Arduin dodges out of the way.

    Two of the other goblins fire arrows towards the group still clustered near the horses, one missing Julius yet again and the other striking Shani.

    The last goblin charges the wagon, fumbling for its shortsword in the process but not quite reaching Ellyjobell who is just out of reach on the wagon.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Arduin's javelin misses the goblin

    The goblin attacks Arduin and misses with an attack roll of 15.

    One misses Julian with an attack roll of 11

    One hits Shani with an attack roll of 15 (I've double checked, it's an equal to or better roll) and does 3 piercing damage.

    The last goblin doesn't manage to reach Ellyjobell, but will next turn.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    The goblin's haphazard swing went wide of Arduin, and he quickly countered with a smashing blow, then used the momentum from his whirling strike to hurl himself back towards the wagon to intercept the raider approaching Ellyjobell.

    Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Attack (1d20+5)[19]
    Bludgeoning damage (1d8+3)[8]
    Moving to engage the other goblin.
    Last edited by gearHead; 2014-08-25 at 02:08 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Foodle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Ellyjobell-Beren-Badger, Gnome Druid

    Yelping as an arrow slices into her arm as it zips past, she quickly ducks down, chanting quickly in sounds that are not quite words as her club shimmers and sprouts gnarled lumps and thorns. Popping back up she launches herself with a roar at the startled goblin, swinging her club towards it's head in a viscous arc.

    Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Bonus Action: Cast Shillelagh on her club (Lasts 1min)

    Movement: Jump down and move to the goblin that was charging towards me

    Attack: (1d20+5)[7] (Am i flanking with Arduin? Does flanking even mean anything in 5e? I can't find anything in the PHB)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[6] bludgeoning damage

    Oh horrible attack roll anyhow, it wouldn't matter
    Last edited by Foodle; 2014-08-25 at 02:55 AM.
    DMing
    Part II: Search for the Tower (5e)
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Violence erupts around Julius. But he's just standing there, for the first few seconds, staring at the dead horses. They had to be Gundren's, right? They didn't see anyone else leave before them. Unless they had come from the south, he supposed...

    But, no. They had to be Gundren's.

    The well-dressed man's head snaps up as an arrow sails past him. His eyes narrow slightly - and then he breaks into a run at the poor goblin that shot at him, raising his cane high. He swipes down, aiming for the goblin's neck - before he lets the momentum of his run bring his knee up to slam it into the goblin's stomach. Or, well. Upper chest. Goblins are shorter than humans.

    Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Moving to the goblin that shot at me (I'm assuming he's within 30 feet because I was already approaching the horses).

    Action: Cane'd! (1d20+5)[10] Damage: (1d4+3)[5]
    Bonus Action: Knee'd! (1d20+5)[23] Damage: (1d4+3)[7]

    Gotta love Martial Arts.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    drbraininajar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Doran looks to Shani, who seemed the most caught unawares. "Rise, warrior. We may have need of your strength." he says to her before once again bringing his staff in front of his face. Again he breathes deep, and propels the mystic fire from the forked tip of his staff, this time toward the goblin menacing Doran's gnomish spirit-talker ally.

    Spoiler: Fire Bolt Go!
    Show
    (1d20+4)[24] (1d10)[10]


    As the vile creature is engulfed in flame, Doran closes his eyes, reaching out to Snowshadow's spirit. Are there more attackers, Brother Owl?
    Last edited by drbraininajar; 2014-08-25 at 04:43 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jötunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fourecks

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Arduin crushes one goblin's chest with a mighty hammerblow while Julius takes out another, missing with his cane but connecting with a knee, connecting with its chin and knocking it back into the cart and unconscious, although very likely bleeding to death from it's injuries. As he incinerates the fourth and last, Doran's owl returns to his shoulder and speaks into his mind: Spiritbrother, I see no more creatures around us.

    As you reconvene, you all understand that yes, these are Gundren and Bravorn's horses, and it appears that their saddlebags have been searched and the pair of them have been captured, slain or worse.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Congratulations on finishing the first combat of the game. In Doran's case, rather spectacularly.

    Divide 200xp between all five of you (so 40xp each).

    What do you do next?
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-25 at 10:53 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Julius keeps his knee raised for a moment, reaching forward to brush dust off of it - and then swivels around and heads over to the horses as if nothing even happened. He stoops down, searching through the saddlebags, and shakes his head. "Someone went through this," he announces to the world in general. He then walks over, and picks up the empty map case, looking into it - not really expecting to find anything, though.

    And then, without a word, he walks into the undergrowth to search for a path or something that the goblins might have used to set up the ambush.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Searchin' (with Investigation I guess?): (1d20+2)[7]
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Gritting her teeth against the pain of the arrow wounds, Shani slowly pushes herself back to her feet. Should have been more observant. Could have been killed. Inexcusable. She sways dizzily as she rises, injuries pressing against her awareness harder than she can fight to ignore them. "Is anyone here skilled in medicine? I would do little but slow us down with these wounds, and my effectiveness in any further combat would suffer."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Foodle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Ellyjobell-Beren-Badger, Gnome Druid

    Missing with her swing moments before the goblin in front of her is incinerated Ellyjobell glances back up to the cart and the Mage sitting there casually destroying their foes. I'll have to stay on the good side of that one. At the cries of medic she rushes over to Shani to examine her wounds, sliding her club into a loop of her belt as she goes, freeing up her hands.

    "Oh that looks painful" she says, pulling at Shani's arm to get her to crouch so the short gnome could better tend to her. Frowning at the injury, she locks eyes with Shani "This may hurt a little, but at least those arrows weren't barbed" she says with a grimace of shared pain as she wraps her small hands around the shaft of the arrow before tugging it free, immediately placing pressure over the wound. "Press here" she indicates before rummaging around in her herbalism kit, pulling forth a couple strange leaves which she pops into her mouth and starts to chew into a paste. Moving to the horses she rips a strip of fabric from the saddle blankets and returns to Shani, wiping clean the wound she spits the now mushed up leaves into her hand and presses them over the wound before wrapping it tightly with the torn piece of cloth.

    "Almost done, just one final bit" she says merrily before reaching into her pocket and chanting some words. Bringing her hand out full of small berries, ten in fact, of which she pops a couple into her mouth and quickly eats them up Ellyjobell's own wound knitting itself together. She then offer's some to Shani "The poultice i used should stop a lot of the pain, but if it's still too much try one of these. Take two anyway, they'll give you enough energy to go all day."

    She then moves off to the other's offering them each a single berry before pocketing the rest.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Cast Goodberry to create 10 Goodberries.
    Ellyjobell eats 2, regaining 2HP.
    Gives 2 to Shani.
    Gives 1 to each of the others if they want one.
    Should have 3 left if her pocket for the next 24hours.
    Last edited by Foodle; 2014-08-25 at 04:15 PM.
    DMing
    Part II: Search for the Tower (5e)
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Shani winces as Ellyjobel tugs on her arm, but kneels down in response nonetheless. Steeling herself against the incoming pain as the gnome readies to pull out the arrows, she manages to restrain herself from giving any noise of complaint. Dimly, she registers Elly's thankfulness that there were no barbs on the arrows. "Yes, I...suppose we should be thankful for small favors" she agrees earnestly through gritted teeth, obediently keeping pressure on the wounds while Elly goes about her work.
    The medicine and bandages do little to lessen the pain, but she at least feels more up to moving again. "Thank you...I believe I can continue fighting now, if needed." Her gratitude shortly turns to puzzlement as Elly offers the berries, however, and she gives them a skeptical look as she accepts. May as well try one, though. Biting down on one, she is surprised when the pain immediately diminishes sharply, far more than any of the other treatment Elly has provided. Strange...magic, perhaps? The chanting must have been an incantation...primitive, but it seems effective. Glancing around furtively, she quickly eats the second berry as well, and instantly feels nearly back to full strength. She rises carefully, but her head no longer seems inclined to start spinning. "My apologies" she says to the group, "I should have been more cautious." She turns back to the dead horses. "Has anyone found any trace of the riders? If their bodies aren't present, they may still be alive." Without waiting for an answer, she searches around for any sign of tracks leading away from the scene, or other clues that might explain where they went.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Survival check, untrained:

    (1d20)[2]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    drbraininajar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Doran strokes Snowshadow's head and hands him a treat. Thank you, friend. He says to the white owl. A small hand tugs at his cloak. Doran looks down to see the gnome called Badger reaching up to hand him a strange berry. "Er, thank you, forest-talker Badger." He does not know what to make of the gift at first, but as he holds it he can feel the slight warmth of spirit magic within. "Ah, I see. I will stow this away, should I need it."
    Doran looks around, one two three....."Where is the Fool with the Cane?" He puts one hand to his face in exasperation as he realizes where Julius has gone. "Frostfather's Beard, he's gone into the woods hasn't he? Snowshadow's eyes have seen no more foes near here, but that would not account for beasts." He nods to his spiritbrother, and the owl flies from his shoulder to land on forest-talker's. "Snowshadow will stay here. If there is trouble, he will show you the way to find us. He is a vigilant sentry as well." The owl narrows his eyes and puts one wing up as if to shade them, then turns his head this way and that, and once behind him as owls do, as if to illustrate his watchfulness.
    "Now, I will go find that Fool before he brings a whole pack of wolves on himself." Doran then disappears into the brush, following Julius's trail.

    Spoiler: OOC: For Ellyjobell
    Show
    If Ellyjobell talks to Snowshadow, his personality is something like a stereotypical elven ranger, but a bit more lighthearted. I would talk for him, but I don't think I can carry on two conversations at once haha.


    **********
    After a few minutes, Doran catches up with Julius, placing a hand on his shoulder. "It is very unwise to wander into the woods alone, especially dressed...as you are. As my old master once said 'If many eyes are upon you, their fangs may be next.'"

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Foodle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Ellyjobell-Beren-Badger, Gnome Druid

    Ellyjobell's eyes go wide with surprised excitement as the owl settles onto her shoulder, holding herself still while turning her head to the side to get a better look, she beams with mirth as the owl does it's little performance. "Why hello there" she greets the owl. <Well met forest-talker> the owl responds much to Ellyjobell's delight, as she'd forgotten her spell was still active. "I'd very much like to draw you. But first we should check over these horses," she says running her eyes over the owls silky feathers.

    Moving around the horses, examining the ground and the edge of the path nearby with Ellyjobell chattering away all the while to Snowshadow, frowning slightly she turns to look at him when he doesn't reply to one of her questions as her spell fades away, before moving back to the horses to check them over for anything the goblins had left behind. Pulling free the saddle blanket she'd used earlier, she rolled it up and tucked it under her arm before going through the saddlebags.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Survival, looking for tracks: (1d20+3)[5]


    Finding nothing worth noting in the churned up roadside, Ellyjobell moves back over to the wagon, urging Snowshadow to perch upon the brake handle. She then plops herself down in the dirt and starts to rip strips from the blanket, before stuffing them into her pack. These might be useful if things keep up like this.

    Once she was done with the blanket, she pulls free a battered scroll case that's worn from constant use. Unfastening the top she tilts it up and shakes out a small packet of charcoal wrapped in leaves and tied with a thin vine. Reaching into the case she then pulls out a handful of papers and starts sorting through them. Happy once she finds one that has one side free of drawings she carefully places the others back in the case and sets to work happily sketching the posing Snowshadow while waiting for the others to return.
    Last edited by Foodle; 2014-08-26 at 12:13 AM.
    DMing
    Part II: Search for the Tower (5e)
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    With the goblins dispatched, and no other obvious threat for the moment, Arduin resumed searching for tracks or other signs of what fate had apparently befallen their employer. He accepted Ellyjobell's berry with surprise, the unbroken half of his mouth turning upward in a small, somewhat pained but grateful smile. "I recognize this. Thank you." He had been taught not to trust arcane magic, but divine blessings - of the Gods or nature - were another matter.

    Speaking of which, Doran's flames had proven quite useful in dealing with the ambush. In his youth he might have attacked the wizard on sight, or at least spat on him; but in the last few years Arduin had learned the hard way to distinguish the intent behind magic from its power. While he wouldn't say he had rejected his heritage, he had certainly begun to see how narrow a philosophy it was. What he wasn't certain of yet was whether any of his current companions could truly be trusted, but he was willing to reserve judgment until he'd gotten to know more about them. More important than whether he could trust their motives yet, Arduin needed to know quickly whether he could depend on their skill and judgment in battle. So far, that was still up in the air.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Survival (1d20+4)[15]

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Julius flinches as he suddenly feels a hand on his shoulder. He turns his head to regard the half-orc for a few moments. Well my master told me... the... pretty much the same thing, actually," he admits after a moments thought. "Just... we... I have to find him. I can't just sit around and..."

    Doran might notice that the Fool is actually close to tears. Although he seems to gather his wits after a few moments. "You're right. Let's get back to the others."
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jötunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fourecks

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    As the unusual duo make their way back to the road and the gnome sketches, Arduin discovers a trail that leads northwest, and can tell that at least a dozen goblins have come and gone along the trail, with signs of two human - or dwarf - sized bodies being hauled away from the ambush site.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You have three options, as I see them:

    • You head straight along the trail now, leaving the wagons and oxen tied up at the side of the road. It would be easy enough to leave them tied up and just out of sight of the path with no real trouble.
    • You take a short rest, and then do the above.
    • You head straight on to Phandalin, deliver the goods, then come back to follow the trail.


    For decisions like this I'm going to go with a majority vote: the first three people to agree on something (either IC or OOC), that's the answer I'll go with. We'll see how that goes and iron out any problems as we go.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-26 at 06:16 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    drbraininajar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Doran's craggy face softens, taken aback by Julius's reactions. "Believe me, I understand. Once we get back to the others, we'll pick up the trail. The assailants don't stand a chance against all of us."

    *********
    Once Doran and Julius return to the group, he first speaks to Shani and Badger, noticing that the gnome has taken to drawing brother Snowshadow, with the owl striking his most dignified perching pose. I thought you two might get along. Seeing that Shani needed no further aid, he quickly joins Arduin. "What have you found, Arduin Rage-Axe?" he asked, using the title his people gave such warriors. When the dwarf shows him the tracks, he grimaces. "Then it appears our path is set...."

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Once they return to the group, Julius decides to search the goblins. Possibly to avoid having to talk to anyone while in his current emotional state. He then just stacks them up by the side of the road, before gathering up some leaves, twigs, grass and other detritus to toss over their corpses. It's not quite clear whether this denotes any respect for them, or a complete absence of it.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lootin' lootin' lootin'~
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jötunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fourecks

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Julius finds very little of real worth on the goblins - they are all carrying fairly crude scimitars, shortbows and are wearing leather armor that isn't in the best of condition. If you'd like, you could strip them of everything and put it on the wagon to try and sell later, but it's more likely that they'd be stripped for useable material rather than sold as-is, so the price you'd get for them wouldn't be high - a few gold pieces in total, at the very most. They aren't carrying anything else of value.

    You take the wagon aside and tie up the oxen, so that they're just out of sight and hearing from the road. Then you all begin the trek northwest along the trail.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Arduin's Perception:(1d20+4)[17]
    Luckily, the keen-eyed dwarf in the lead spots the snare before he triggers it - it appears to be a simple rope trap that would have had him dangling upside down ten feet in the air. Each of you carefully step your way around the trap.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll give you about... 12 hours IRL from now to react, then I'll continue. Just in case you want to change up what you're doing, what with traps.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-27 at 07:22 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Jötunn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fourecks

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    DC15 perception:(1d20+4)[14]
    DC10 Dexterity(1d20+3)[7]

    While the dwarf may have seen the snare trap, he fails to spot the pit trap another ten minutes down the trail and goes tumbling down. Luckily, the pit's sides aren't steep enough to make scrambling up too much of a bother, but Arduin still takes some bruises for his trouble.

    Following the goblins' trail, you come across a large cave in a hillside five miles from the scene of the ambush. A shallow stream flows out of the cave mouth, which is screened by dense briar thickets. A narrow dry path leads into the cave on the right-hand side of the stream.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-28 at 12:44 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: IC: To The Lost Mine of Phandelver... AND BEYOND!

    "It seems we're following an inauspicious path," Arduin chuckled uncertainly as he groped his way out of the hole. Certainly it would be no good for a dwarf to die a mere ten feet underground. Careful not to let his minor annoyance flare up into something darker, he reaffixed his shield and turned to face the others, speaking quietly. "Our quarry expected to be followed, and I admit I am surprised at how well prepared they were for it. Let's hope they are overconfident in their own lair." Picking idly at a leaf that had gotten lodged in his teeth through the gash on his cheek, Arduin casually inspected the stone around the cavern entrance, looking for signs of shaping by mortal hands. Even the most innocent-looking of caves might have been a hall or stronghold to one race or another in the distance past, and if anything looked familiar, it might give them some hint of what awaited them inside. "I'm no scout. Someone must ensure there isn't a pack of gobbers waiting just inside."

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    History (1d20+4)[21] + Stonecutting bonus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •