New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default A little help? Assasination...?

My party has been set a challenge.
    We have to break into the house of the Assasination teacher (long story) and draw a line across his neck with a stick of charcoal. Then escape without leaving any trace of our presence other than the charcoal line.

Low Level, Low Magic.
    So far all we managed to do was get our rogues arm broken.

We aren't sure the man sleeps. The stairs up onto the second floor are trapped.

Help?

I'll try and answer any questions.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: A little help? Assasination...?

Not sure about the Assasination teacher, but drawing a line on my neck with a stick of charcoal would most likely wake me up.

Perhaps get a pouch filled with very fine charcoal dust and pour out the line, or a string coated with charcoal powder like a carpenters plumb line?

If you have a string coated with charcoal perhaps there is a way to remotely drag it over his neck, without having to get to close.

Pull up roof tiles and drop the string from above. . .just spitballing ideas here
    Last edited by Leadfeathermcc; 2007-03-07 at 06:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

How low a level? How little magic? What are your resources? What level do you think the guy is?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfeathermcc View Post
    Not sure about the Assasination teacher, but drawing a line on my neck with a stick of charcoal would most likely wake me up.

Perhaps get a pouch filled with very fine charcoal dust and pour out the line, or a string coated with charcoal powder like a carpenters plumb line?

If you have a string coated with charcoal perhaps there is a way to remotely drag it over his neck, without having to get to close.

Pull up roof tiles and drop the string from above. . .just spitballing ideas here
    Seeing as the point is apparently to teach students how to get in, execute their mark, and get out, all without actually killing the teacher, I imagine he'll politely remain "dead" once they've marked him. Unless this is to train them in techniques for assassinating people with Contingent Create Undead on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I was thinking of this as more of a find a horsehead in the bed moment for the assasination teacher. Did he, or one of his rivals give you this assignment?

And further more as the DM, I would reward players who come up with creative ways to fulfil the assignment. ;)
    Last edited by Leadfeathermcc; 2007-03-07 at 06:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I second the string of charcoal idea, or some other exercise in lateral thinking. You could probably do it with mage hand too, if you have access to that. How "low magic" are we talking here, anyway?

Is the breaking in and the stick of charcoal an explicit part of the challenge, or is the real goal to just somehow engineer a situation where he wakes up with a line of charcoal on his neck?
    Your ad here! Call 1-800-SELLOUT.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Consider using oil of taggit or drow poison to knock the guy out.

If there's a second story that the stairs lead to...are there windows on the second story that you can climb in through, or a balcony? Is the building taller than two stories?

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I wouldn't know. Every DnD Group I have been with has had the favored assasination method of "Blowing up the town that the target is living in."
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Bribe the Assasination teachers, concubine to draw the line for you after he falls asleep. Take the credit.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Bribe the Assasination teachers, concubine to draw the line for you after he falls asleep. Take the credit.
    Heh, truthfully this is probally the safest and most efficient route. Even better would be to set it up through a 2nd or even 3rd party to make it difficult to trace it back to ya all.
    "You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."-Urza

11. - Top - End - #11

And if he ever finds out, tell him that was really your secret plan all along. Then he'll share a hearty laugh with you, pour you some wine, and hang your bloated, purple corpse outside his window as a warning to all his other students who try to beat the system. Never tick off a guy who teaches you how to kill people.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Silent image?

Concubine or no, is there somebody you could bribe/intimidate/torture into aiding you?

How exactly are the stairs trapped? If it's a matter of skipping the fifth step, it's not even an obstacle once you know it's there. I'd assume that the windows, and all other entrances, are trapped as well, until you can prove differently.

Another big challenge is figuring out when he's asleep. So far, I haven't seen a suggestion that works when he's awake (nope, take that back, somebody said poison), and you mentioned that catching him sleeping is a problem. Poison is actually a fair idea, here, if you can figure out a way to work it. Otherwise, you'll need to observe him very carefully so you can catch him sleeping.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Wow ok...

Firstly low magic as in no casters and no magic items in the group.
    Low level as in currently level three.
    He set the task not his rival it's never been completed so i'm looking to score my team some prestige.

Yes the building has windows on the second floor. No there arent more than two. Yes we have to use a stick of charcoal.

We went in the window last time, the rogue snuck over to the bed and there was a Dummy in the bed. The teacher jumped out of the shadows and broke her arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Well, if he wakes up with a line of charcoal on his neck, how's he going to know whether you used a stick or a string to get it there? Seriously, if he does, your DM's just mad because you didn't do it the way he wanted.

Sounds like your DM is screwing with you. Or he has one of those simple-and-obvious-if-you-already-know-it solutions in mind. Lateral thinking is definitely your friend here.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Does the Assasination Teacher function as an entity seperate from your DM, or does he possess unlimited knowledge of where the PCs are at all time?

Mertarthio, you assume the Assasination teacher is vindictive. It is just as likely that the Assasination teacher would be proud that his students have learned that results not methods matter most. :D As long as the victim is "dead" then what matters how he got that way.
    Last edited by Leadfeathermcc; 2007-03-07 at 06:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Mertarthio, you assume the Assasination teacher is vindictive. It is just as likely that the Assasination teacher would be proud that his students have learned that results not methods matter most. :D As long as the victim is "dead" then what matters how he got that way.
    Hence, setting the house on fire with him in it, and when he runs out, tackling him and drawing on the line.

Actually, that technically qualifies for the rules. It gets the line across his neck with the stick of charcoal, and leaves no trace of your presence in the house.

I think the DM is being a jerk on this one. If he never sleeps and is capable of breaking party members without effort, then he is probably a tad overpowered. I suggest catching him outside, beating him unconsious with saps, and dragging him back and drawing the line on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

do you have a rogue in the party?
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Better yet. betray him to whatever passes for the local law. Knock out the hangman and take his place. Make sure the the hangmans noose is well coated with charcoal. Just before you pull the lever that drops the hatch door, whisper in his ear. "This is what you get for breaking my companions arm."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

We are all students at an Adventuring School of which he is a member of the faculty. My plan thus far is to steal a heavy duty sleeping potion from the infirmary and get it slipped into his food/drink before it's taken to his residence.

I think my DM designed it to be unbeatable. Thats why i'm committed. Going to wipe the smile off his face.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

The trouble is that a concubine willing to draw a line on her master's neck is not a concubine willing to slit her master's throat.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I think my DM designed it to be unbeatable. Thats why i'm committed. Going to wipe the smile off his face.
    There is your problem right there. If you DM is invested in making you "not win" then no matter what clever idea you come up with, you will lose. You can not beat the power of "PLOT".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Cube'o'Doom: Yes we have a Rogue.

My characters a TWF Fighter so he's not real handy for this mission. Though... dual Saps...

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Not really Mewtarthio the trouble is you are looking to punish the players for not approaching the problem with what you belive is the proper solution.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

What's wrong with going in the window again and doing something else? Might just need to be patient and wait in the shadows somewhere for the guy to move.

Once you're inside...if you know the trap on the stairs is audible (i.e. the guy can hear when it goes off), you might try to find some way to trigger it from a distance, sneak into the bedroom when/if he goes down to reset the trap, wait for him to sleep (or "help" him set some rest).

Caltrops with drow poison might do the job, if you can him to step on one. Either create a big enough commotion that he starts running and doesn't pay attention to the floor (thunderstone?), or hide them under a rug.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Your idea with the sleeping potion is solid. But if your DM really doesn't want it to happen, he'll have resistance/food tasters/something.

There are really two possibilities here: First, that your DM has thought up what precautions this guy takes, and will stick to those regardless of what you do. Second, that your DM is making up defenses on the fly, to come up with reasonable-sounding counters to whatever you try. Based on what you know of your DM, which do you think is more likely?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

headwarpage: I believe he's got the precautions set, hes crap at on the fly so i imagine thats the story.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Form a conspiracy with a doppleganger. Agree to help him replace the Assassination teacher in exchange for allowing you to be the first group to ever charcoal the teacher. (that sounds vaguely dirty). Sure you have helped evil prevail but you win the teachers silly little contest.

Here I am trying to plan my groups next session and all I can think about is this thread, thanks for the distraction. ;)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

In a situation like this, you need to ask you DM "Are we supposed to be able to do this, or are we going to fail no matter what". It is metagaming, but if the DM has a plan of where he/she wants the plot to go, then your efforts may very well prove meaningless. Nothing is worse then creating a large elaborate plan only to find out you never had a chance.

EDIT: Is there a rule that says you have to do it in his sleep? more often then not the best way to kill someone is to suddenly jump at them unexpectantly with no thought of escape.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2007-03-07 at 07:34 PM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

29. - Top - End - #29

SamuraiGuy

Wait until he's teaching, go to his house and break in. Hide in the attic above his bedroom. Use a peephole to watch him go to bed. Sneak down and assassinate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

30. - Top - End - #30

Section and Stinger.
    First, lure him with a "bad" stealth job that he'll catch.
    But before that, set your rogue behind him, charcoal at the ready. As soon as he springs up to deal with the obvious threat, get him.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.