New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Question Storm King's Thunder DM'ing Help - Need quests (Spoilers!)

(WARNING: This post contains spoilers for Storm King's Thunder. Don't read unless you are a DM or don't care.)

Hi all,

I'm running SKT and could use some help and ideas.

As a variant from the campaign, I started all the players as folks who live in Nightstone. They have families there, and know the town and residents. The idea was to have them be a bit more invested in campaign to start. They were gone for the initial attack, but return to pick up for the aftermath as described in the book. Many PCs will have lost loved ones during in the aftermath events.

What I'm looking for is help with two things.

1) The Zhentarim Threat

Spoiler
    Show
    The PCs left the Zhentarim mercenaries in the town without challenging them. They instead rushed off to try to save their families, understandably. How should or could the Zhentarim react when they return? Perhaps they lock the PCs and villagers out of the town, and try to hold out for reinforcements or negotiate with them. Any ideas how this could end or what the Zhentarim might do without the PCs there? Since I advanced to players to level 3 for the caves, I'm also considering if I should increase the challenge rating of the Zhentarim, and how to best do this. Again, ideas welcome.

2) Quests post-Chapter 1

Spoiler
    Show
    After completing chapter 1, I could use some help coming up with good reasons why the PCs should travel to any of the other towns. The quests given in the book are kinda' thin as it is, but I need a good motivation for them to travel away from their own village and families after such a big event. The current quests don't provide a good enough reason for 5 of the most capable young folks in town to go running off altogether. Ideas most welcome.

Thanks!

~imaginary

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Storm King's Thunder DM'ing Help - Need quests (Spoilers!)

I don't play pre-made adventures or modules as all the stuff I do is home made, but I believe thats the one with the giants.

After your village is attacked and decimated, there aren't a lot of good reasons to abandon it when you are the strongest people in town. Some good reasons could be:

Revenge- If you lost all of your families you have nothing tying you to that place and nothing stopping you from going out into the world to kill every giant you see

Rescue- If giants kidnapped any of your family members, you'd want to go get them back

Honor/Duty- If they live in nightstone, i think it has that big nightstone statue/monument/whatever that is stolen by giants, maybe you're tasked to locate it and bring it back since it's kind of a big deal in your town and the town is even named after it?

Since I don't know the specifics of the module that is about all I can offer but maybe it'll help.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Here's what I would do. The players return from the caves to find that the Zhents have essentially taken over the town in their absence. But they're not pushing people around or kicking puppies—they're working to rebuild the fortifications and defend the town, because Zhentarim control comes with Zhentarim protection. Xolkin would want the PCs on his side, and would attempt to get them on board with his operation, maybe even inviting them to join the Zhentarim. Either way, not long after the players return, the orcs attack, and the Seven Snakes help defend the town against them. If the players attack the Zhents, run the fight for a round or two and then have it be interrupted by the sound of orc war cries, followed by Xolkin extending an offer of truce.

If they still want to fight the Zhents after that, they can do so.

If they choose to stay and defend Nightstone, roll with it, and have the town be attacked by a hill giant or two wandering around looking for food for Chief Guh. Have them boast about a planned attack on Goldenfields. Then Zephyros shows up, delivers his exposition, and conveniently offers to take the PCs to Goldenfields to warn the people there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I would not change the challenge ratings of the Zentharim. If your players return to town and decide to kick their ass, just let them do so (or have the Zhents realize they are overmatched and retreat).

Regarding the motivation to visit one of the other towns, maybe make it so that there is nothing to be done to save the initial town and have one of the PC need to go bring his wife or a family member to an uncle's house in one of the 3 locations (Icewind Dale may be a bit far fetched), maybe even just on a temporary basis while the town is rebuilt (this should be a long process).

To be honest, giving a close family to your players and allowing that family to survive the initial part of the module creates a weird quandary. Whatever else happens, your player will never have a motivation good enough to abandon his family to go across the sword coast for months fighting giants.

Other options: the family members are also adventurers and simply go with the group on the quest, family members get captured by giants and prompt a pursuit type of adventure, one of the factions ask specifically for the player's participation in a mission going to one of the 3 towns (and the players owe a debt to the organization, so they can't say no).
    Last edited by SiCK_Boy; 2017-08-10 at 10:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it too late to say some of their family members were captured by the cloud giants that destroyed Nightstone? I'm not sure why they'd bother but you could figure something out later.

If it is, you're going to have to kill most of their loved ones off. Maybe save a couple hot-headed but competent brothers/sisters that demand to go after the giants that destroyed the families. Try and get the PCs wrapped up in their fervor. Or have a couple grieving family members demand to go stay with relatives in Triboar (my favorite of the 3 choices). Or a mix of both. A few low level NPCs following the party won't hurt the campaign. Kill later for emotional leverage!