New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Junkyard Wars in the Playground VI: Wonderworker + Profession Skill - Factotum

Welcome to Junkyard Stadium! It is in this hallowed pile of miscellaneous parts that we will hold a competition of Practical Optimization with three components. The catch? Competitors may not use the third item in their builds!

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Goal: For most challenges, the "special components" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret components from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
    If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in Build Stability and/or Power.

Workshop: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon Magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Build Stability below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere as this may cause a Build Stability deduction at the judges' discretion. If you use web material, link it. Dragon Magazine Compendium is allowed.. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt and fractional saves are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em. Please refrain from using Taint unless it's necessary for one or more of the Components.

Completion Time: Contestants will have until [11:59 PM GMT on September 15th, 2014] to create their builds and PM them to the chairman, OMG PONIES. Builds will then be posted simultaneously to avoid copying. Judges will have until [11:59 PM GMT on September 29th, 2014] to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted. As the precedence has been set from Episode 2, should all prospective judges have posted their rulings in a neat, timely fashion and all disputes have been settled satisfactorily (to either judges, contestants, or the Chairperson), the judging period may end prematurely to give way to a new episode. No reason to keep working on a finished building and avoid moving onto the next one.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries. Also for this reason, PLEASE do not include any material that may or may not offend any potential viewers/judges/competitors OR break forum rules: It'll be me who gets in trouble for it, and you don't want that! Any builds which utterly and grossly violate forum rules WILL be withheld.

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    2nd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    3rd New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    4th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    5th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    6th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    7th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    8th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    9th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    10th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    11th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    12th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    13th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    14th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    15th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    16th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    17th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    18th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    19th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities
    20th New Class Level +x +x +x +x Skills New Feats New Class Abilities

Table Code:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [code]
    NAME OF ENTRY
    [table="class: grid"] [tr][td]Level[/td][td]Class[/td][td]Base Attack Bonus[/td][td]Fort Save[/td][td]Ref Save[/td][td]Will Save[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]Feats[/td][td]Class Features[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]1st[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]2nd[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]3rd[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]4th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]5th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]6th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]7th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]8th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]9th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]10th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]11th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]12th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]13th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]14th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]15th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]16th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]17th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]18th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]19th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]20th[/td][td]New Class Level[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]+x[/td][td]Skills[/td][td]New Feats[/td][td]New Class Abilities[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    [/code]

For entries with spellcasting or other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of spells per day/spells known/PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until after the reveal in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned: We're creating one things, not all of the things. If your entry includes a prestige class or ACF that grants Leadership or a Leadership-like ability as a bonus feat, the feat should be ignored and is not eligible to be traded away for another feat or ACF through any means.

So who wants to sign up as a contestant and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

This competition has two Necessary Components and one Forbidden Component.

This one is themed around tomorrow's American holiday Labor Day! We've got a PrC known for being a worker and a skill used by highly trained professionals. But please, no dabblers this round--only qualified applicants need apply. Also, your build is allowed to wear white pants if they'd like. While it's a fashion faux pas, I won't stop you.

1. Originally introduced in Book of Exalted Deeds:
    The Wonderworker Prestige Class!
    2. Originally introduced in The Player's Handbook:
    The Profession Skill!
    And the Forbidden Component:
    3. Originally introduced in Dungeonscape:
    The Factotum Base Class!

We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build that doesn't gain a medal. Contestants are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM. Everyone else can vote in-thread.

Ready? Steady? Get to the junkyard and start building!

Previous Competitions:
    Episode 1: Shadowdancer + Sneak Attack - Rogue
    Episode 2: Healing Spells + Ruby Knight Vindicator - no Cleric
    Episode 3: Dragon Type + Mystic Theurge - Kobold
    Episode 4: Book of Exalted Deeds + Undead Type - Completes Books
    Episode 5: Dread Witch + Reaping Mauler - Fighter
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-08-31 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Junkyard Wars in the Playground VI: Wonderworker + Profession Skill - Factotum

*Scribble scribble scribble* I already have a big dumb idea!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Junkyard Wars in the Playground VI: Wonderworker + Profession Skill - Factotum

My entry will not be wearing white!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

This is actually sort of interesting for reasons that I expect will be speculation. I don't know if I've got an idea, but I'll try to research a few things.

Not sure why Factotum is the banned ingredient though. Does it have some synergy with Wonderworker that I'm unaware of? I only know of one cheesy use for the PrC.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, I come back to the forum and this catches my eye

It's interesting... Looks like an Iron Chef that pre-bans a telegraphed ingredient. I'm kindof curious to see what people come up with for this one, as I've almost never seen Profession put to good use (Elans excluded). And what an interesting class. Horrible, and interesting. Good luck participants
    Thanks to korafox for the avatar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

guh ... this could be tricky, allready trashed a good number because they were either to cheesy or didn't actually use their profession checks for much

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

*enters to the glorious fanfare of trumpets*
    Back after an extended absence!
    *waits patiently for the raucous applause to die down*

Aaaaannd because I so love to poke a sleeping bear just for giggles:
    1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderworker
    ...These bonus feats must be drawn from among those identified as exalted feats in Chapter 4: Feats.
    Q: Does this mean that (for the purpose of this competition) the bonus feats chosen cannot be exalted feats from a source other than the Book of Exalted Deeds?

2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderworker
    ...A psion who adopts the wonderworker class receives bonus power points/day equal to one-half of the sum of his psion level and his wonderworker level. A psychic warrior/wonderworker receives bonus power points/day equal to one-third of the sum of her psychic warrior level and her wonderworker level....
    Q: Are the psion and the psychic warrior the only psionic classes that gain extra PP from wonderworker levels?
    Q: Does a psion or psychic warrior (or other psionic class if allowed) include levels in PRCs that advance manifester level when determining their PP gained from the wonderworker class?
    Spoiler: Op Awards
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

I have a dumb idea. I may enter it.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Not sure why Factotum is the banned ingredient though. Does it have some synergy with Wonderworker that I'm unaware of? I only know of one cheesy use for the PrC.
    You'll find that my selection of banned ingredients may not always be directly resulted to optimization. In this case, factotum was banned because it's a class for serial dabblers. We want trained, focused professionals to go with our "work" theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Macabaret View Post
    *enters to the glorious fanfare of trumpets*
    Back after an extended absence!
    *waits patiently for the raucous applause to die down*
    w00t! Huzzah! Welcome Back!

Q: Does this mean that (for the purpose of this competition) the bonus feats chosen cannot be exalted feats from a source other than the Book of Exalted Deeds?
    Correct.

Q: Are the psion and the psychic warrior the only psionic classes that gain extra PP from wonderworker levels?
    They are indeed.

Q: Does a psion or psychic warrior (or other psionic class if allowed) include levels in PRCs that advance manifester level when determining their PP gained from the wonderworker class?
    The text doesn't say that they do, so I'm inclined to say no.

10. - Top - End - #10

Do we get the Junkyard-usual extra XP to spend on crafting and stuff?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I have a dumb idea. I may enter it.
    This... dumb idea that just might work

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by sakuuya View Post
    Do we get the Junkyard-usual extra XP to spend on crafting and stuff?
    I'm unfamiliar with this particular wrinkle. What has usually been done in the Junkyard?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with this particular wrinkle. What has usually been done in the Junkyard?
    For the last couple rounds, we've gotten a little XP wiggle room:

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    CONCERNING EXP REQUIREMENTS: Each build is allotted exactly 200,000 EXP. This is roughly 10,000 EXP more than necessary to get to 20th level. Please take note of this when planning your character for circumstances like LA Buyoff, Item Crafting, Magic Use, Multiclassing EXP Penalties, etc.
    This competition's still pretty new, so I don't know if Kazudo intended for this rule to extend to all future rounds, but since it showed up twice in a row in normal rounds (as opposed to round 3's "special" 5 free LA), it seems like he might've.

14. - Top - End - #14

Sounds good, then. 200,000 XP for everyone!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

You know? I think I've got a couple of ideas for this. And they are flat out terrible.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I shall participate!

Also, I'm new to this challenge, so I need ask. Is the goal to build a really powerful character, or just a playable one to go with the fluff?

Is retraining feats as per the PH2 allowed?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-09-02 at 12:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

the most powerful character thats playable and follows fluff without running into any rules issues, and this case highlighting the use of the Profession skill

Power, Originality, Elegance and Use of Secret Ingredients

Retraining aren't per say banned (going from previous rulings in ZS and IC), but it is frowned upon and might get a ping on Elegance
    Last edited by Sian; 2014-09-02 at 01:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

I may try to enter this too.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

So, do we get gold for items? If yes, then is it WBL?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    So, do we get gold for items? If yes, then is it WBL?
    You can assume WBL, but generally it's unnecessary to list items unless there is an unusual combination. We all know everyone gets better with items, and there is a standard array of items that pretty much every character takes. So going through the motions to include them is ... mostly pointless.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in for judging! (Hopefully no catastrophe happens to prevent it this time around...) I'll send my criteria within a day or so.

22. - Top - End - #22

im pretty sure im in, but as with what i have said in iron chef - if there is less than 3 judges and a full compliment of entries i will take a hand at judging.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    the most powerful character thats playable and follows fluff without running into any rules issues, and this case highlighting the use of the Profession skill
    As well as the Wonderworker prestige class, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I'm in for judging! (Hopefully no catastrophe happens to prevent it this time around...) I'll send my criteria within a day or so.
    Huzzah! I'll keep an eye out for them.

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post

Power, Originality, Elegance and Use of Secret Ingredients

Retraining aren't per say banned (going from previous rulings in ZS and IC), but it is frowned upon and might get a ping on Elegance
    Note that the Junkyard Wars mesh Elegance and UoSI into 'Build Stability,' at least in past rounds.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

I've got a little idea. I'll enter.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I've sent in my criteria. Looking forward to seeing all the builds!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I've sent in my criteria. Looking forward to seeing all the builds!
    Don't contenders get access to the judging criteria? Or are we supposed to build blindly and hope to meet said criteria?

28. - Top - End - #28

Don't contenders get access to the judging criteria? Or are we supposed to build blindly and hope to meet said criteria?
    Rather than building blindly, I'd say "build what you'd enjoy playing." It's way more enjoyable than building in a specific way to cater to the judge's criteria.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

gah ... just used 3 hours on chasing down where i was short one point (i kept coming up 1 skill point short of what i excepted it to become, when i held up my excepted total and my actual total)

Only Fluff to go, and i only need to make it pretty since i already have it pretty much hashed out in bullet form

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Rather than building blindly, I'd say "build what you'd enjoy playing." It's way more enjoyable than building in a specific way to cater to the judge's criteria.
    The PMing of the judges' criteria was an experiment to a) keep each individual judge's criteria anomynous and b) prevent contestants from arguing with judges before anything was revealed. The second thing was something that was occuring in Iron Chef at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo starting in Junkyard III
    Concerning judging criteria: AS A PRE-EMPTIVE MEASURE, I would like to request that judging criteria be first PMed to the chairman (currently Kazudo) for a quick quality check. Once it is deemed worthy, it will be posted anonymously. JUDGING WILL STILL OCCUR AS NORMAL. This is to prevent any bias from individuals wishing to attempt to dispute certain measures of the criteria. It IS ok to say that you're judging, but don't indicate which criteria is yours.
    For this round Ponies did not repeat the full second post from Junkyard III - V that I partially quoted so I imagine it isn't a thing (at least for this round).

Anyway I agree with Ponies in that contestants should just build what they like and not cater to any judge. I've seen some criteria posted in the past from two different judges that would have been impossible to impress both of them.