A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334
Results 991 to 1,008 of 1008

Thread: Old Ways IC IV

1. - Top - End - #991
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways IC IV

Penny chimes in, clearly proud of her group, "and then they foiled a plot in the harbor, revealing Ederick's larger plan. Ederick's interest in the spider temple led to some hasty research in the Threshold Church's records, which is where I came in."

Others can share their recollections and fill Aditi in on the party's early doings. The group falls into a travel routine, traveling and camping, always on guard for trouble, but fortunately no threats present themselves. Ultimately, the trip back to Verge is uneventful.

The guard at the Western gate of Verge calls for the group to identify themselves.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran proudly declaims, "Bost's Rangers from Threshold, back from a mission!"
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2016-04-13 at 12:31 AM.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash hopes to book in a whole day of rest with two sleeps included for Bost's Rangers and their horses.

Ash will be sure to still have someone awake to stay alert in the inn while others rest, just in case there's anyone looking for trouble with a potentially rich group of adventurers. But she will let her guard down some so that she may finally find some rest and recuperate from the weight of all the trials she's been through with the others.

During the day, Ash will spend some time in a large inn room (with any of her team who wish to help) sorting out the treasures and having items identified for magical properties and purposes with Neela.
    She'll mention to Neela that she hasn't forgotten the loan to be repaid upon reaching Threshold and Ash thanks her again for her generosity.

She also thanks Murray, Brett, and Jemaine for their loyalty and bravery (intending to reward them with proper shares as the funds are divided upon their return to Threshold).

Over the course of their travel, Ash speaks with each of the members of the group to share her appreciation for each of their individual contributions during this perilous journey.

She prays to Petra in thanks for their safe return to Verge and asks that her watch over them will continue as they travel the rest of the way back to Threshold. She apologizes for her lack of strength so far - that the shield wasn't something she could properly retrieve yet, but hopes to one day return with something else that can destroy the portal and prevent it from spewing forth wicked creatures.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros looks forward to a good night's rest in a soft bed.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #995
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Verge seems like civilization after the wilds to the west and barren crater. Still, it's a small town, rustic in comparison to Threshold. It's rulers pay no call on the party this time through, and the party can rest and depart without further incident.

The trip to Threshold can be made by boat, and again, passes without event. The party eventually arrives in Threshold's harbor, docking where a while back Bost's Rangers foiled a plot by Ederick to take over to the town itself. Bustling traders and stevedores work the docks.

The town seems much as it was when the party set out on their journey.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran moans, "Finally home."

He waves joyfully to anyone he recognizes.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah
    Mycah spends much of the trip quiet and introspective. He seems lost to his thought more often than not and caught up in the peace of the wilderness. The time underground, and in the perverting presence of the Daughter and her priests have weighed heavily upon him.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash helps care for the horses during the boat ride home. She is grateful for the peaceful passage and finds welcomed rest aboard the vessel. The shadow of those lost weighs on Ashala's heart, but she recognizes the blessings before her as the rest of her allies are safe with her and almost home.

She speaks to Mycah about her thoughts on what would come next after returning, "I think Bost's Rangers can take a well deserved break for a while - so long as nothing pressing turns up right away. I'll push forward with those that would continue, should it come to that.
    "I feel decades aged beyond my years, and I'm not even twenty,"
    she snorts softly.
    "It will be busy upon returning to Threshold and there will be much to do. I imagine you'll be wanting to pay your home a visit, but try to wait a few days if you can. I'd - like to come with you, if that's alright."

---

As their river ship arrives, Ash prepares her comrades to dock and instructs them to rendezvous with each other on the third afternoon at Bost's for their shares of the loot.
    She informs them that she'll need some help from the temple (and anyone of Bost's Rangers who would like to provide assistance) to plan memorials for the two priestesses lost. She'd appreciate Neela and Athos' help with the sorting of valuables and Brett, Jemaine, and Murray might be good help with the horses for the first day - just until things settle. Brandon should see to it that his mother knows he's returned safely (as promised) and the others are free to help or celebrate as they please, so long as they return for their shares.

Ash writes up a short letter to send with Brandon to his mother on her behalf. It is of gratitude for her generosity towards Bost's Rangers when purchasing the valuable gem they'd sold her and for supporting her son as a part of their team.

She will ask permission of her uncle, if he's home, to put on a small celebration dinner for Bost's Rangers, hosted primarily in the dining hall. Ashala intends to pay for the costs and be the host during this time - unless he'd prefer to attend and host it himself, which he is of course welcome to decide should he allow it. She would have this take place the day after Alanna's and Miranda's memorials, which will hopefully occur within two days of returning, thus the celebration occurring on the third day.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Colossus in the Playground

Aditi gradually pulls herself back together along the way. I seem, unlike many of my companions, to have escaped permanent damage. Definitely been close to death a couple times, though. She speaks little. Back at Threshold, she makes an effort to seem relaxed.

"I can help out at the temple. We should tell them about the Shield of Petra, and about the spider monster who is now unstuck from time," she volunteers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash agrees, "Just them though - for now. We don't want anyone getting any ideas about going after the shield or spreading rumors that might exacerbate things."

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Athos is glad, and proud, to see the walls of Verge ahead and greets the guards by name as they ride through. Before leaving for Threshold he manages to seek out his tutor, Lorentus the Brown, giving him a fond farewell and telling some of his adventures.

Arriving at Threshold however, Athos is almost jubilant with expectation. Such a grand city, and his purse laden with gold. Here be opportunities!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    You and your common sense again ! :P

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros visibly gladdens as Threshold comes into sight. "This place seems strange to me now. It is not that it has changed, but that I have."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah
    After moving on from Verge, the trip by barge back to Threshold is a welcome break and Mycah feels the tension and worry of the past days (has it really been so little time?) slowly fade. He spends time in conversation with the others, learning more about them and sharing stories of his own youth as they can relax and talk.

He catches what quiet time he can with Ash, sharing more of himself and trying to feel out where someone of his social standing could possibly fit into her life.

Once back in Threshold, he lends a hand with preparations for the priestesses memorial service, staying in town as long as necessary. At Ash's request to join him at Oakheart, he reacts with surprise, but quickly acquiesces. "Alright? Of course, it is - you'll always be welcome. I'd enjoy your company very much." He (wisely?) leaves it at that, for the time being. :)

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Is there a library in this town, or maybe a tavern frequented by scholars or mages? If not I will have to set up a study somewhere. Athos muses while they pass through the gates. The sight of the pastoral town gladdens him, as he did harbor some fear of having to endure the sickness and diseases usually rampant in badly managed cities.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros takes up residence in the tavern as usual and contemplates how to best use his newly won wealth.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

After donating 800 gold each to the temple of Petra and his assorted kin, Bran paints their adventure, particularly the more awful and nasty monsters.

He also explains in private to the high priest of Petra about what happened in the Spider temple and about the Shield of Petra. And unfortunately that the Daughter got away.

He asks, "How do we get the Shield away and safely without letting the monsters get free, too?"

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Athos the Frail

We need knowledge to answer that question. I'm not sure we can find it here in Karameikos, although I will begin my research here. Athos replies.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash has her hands full over the next few days as she coordinates the treasure, the memorial, and the banquet festivities. Through it all, she's glad to be doing something that doesn't require constantly looking over her shoulder or sleeping "with one eye open". It feels rewarding to know she's aiding the group in these ways.

Still, she's looking forward to some slower days to follow. She'll be twenty soon and she's made her mark on the world. With or without the fame that accompanies it, she finally feels worthy enough for her title and will not harbour guilt or resentment toward the honour bestowed upon her based on her birthright. She understands the value of others, the importance of care and consideration in leadership, and the need for action when appropriate - not always as the first method of dealing, as she'd originally believed. The weight of the responsibility in leadership in times of life threatening circumstances is evident to her, but she'll accept it wholeheartedly when called upon henceforth.

When all's done and prepared, Ash will take a break at the tavern and share a drink (with her those of her comrades who are there) before she executes her plans and gathers them all for mourning, wealth, and celebration.