Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Ultimate Dungeon Crawl: Attale's Offer OOC Part 1

Here's the OOC thread for the Ultimate Dungeon Crawl: Attale's Offer Part 1!

As of right now, I'm just waiting for Bluydee to chime in so I can get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2014-09-03 at 01:25 PM.

Currently Recruiting: rogue_alchemist's The Thing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ultimate Dungeon Crawl: Attale's Offer OOC Part 1

Posting to start subscription, claiming Cyan for speech, since its the iciest color there.
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Dibs on "Orange" mainly because why not?

I somewhat regret the decision to not get an animated cannon to follow me around. Also: I was worried my damage would be lackluster but I was mistaken.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I am using reds for Nustrilaa and Magic, if Magic ever decides to speak to the rest of you.

Also, Nustrilaa meant that offer to prepare spells on request, if there's anything you want her to have on hand, let me and her know :)

Edit: So you know, she has access to every Wizard and Cleric spell in the PSRD, and every one in the Spell Compendium. Plus 3 spells from any other spell list that I probably should have chosen last week....
    Last edited by whoiam; 2014-09-04 at 11:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Eversha speaks in a fairly desaturated tone.

Kinda funny seeing a spellcaster with such a massive list is in. For a bit, my backup character idea was gonna be a rainbow dreadsnake who jumped through hoops to expand spell list as far as possible. Sandshaper, Oneiromancy, necrotic cyst, shadowcraft mage, the works.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, the thing is... compared to WBL for a 25th level character, the price of buying every spell in the list isn't that excessive. (I worked it out as a touch under 315,000 GP). And I had gotten to the bottom of my list of 'necessary' items with plenty left over, so I thought... well, why not?

Even after buying everything, Nustrilaa still has over 300,000 to spare. I was debating upping the size of her demiplane again and going from a mansion to something more impressive, but no. I might find some use for that money eventually, who knows?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll take all the Arcane Cannons I can get. That's mainly because I have the means to be a siege engineer with no method to do it.

Alternatively Animate Object a cannon if we find it and Permanency on it, then the same for some Large helper to load it. Abundant Ammunition on it's ammo maybe so we can hurl freezing/flaming barrels at all of the things?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Shade will use bold dark gray, to more easily distinguish from Eversha. Bartelby will use unbolded, telepathic messages italics.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase blog/campaign journal

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    I'll take all the Arcane Cannons I can get. That's mainly because I have the means to be a siege engineer with no method to do it.

Alternatively Animate Object a cannon if we find it and Permanency on it, then the same for some Large helper to load it. Abundant Ammunition on it's ammo maybe so we can hurl freezing/flaming barrels at all of the things?
    At this point, I may have to qualify my offer a touch. Nustrilaa does not have every focus possible either about her person or in her demiplane. The miniature cannon forged with a drop of her own blood is one of the missing foci.

She does have the foci for the following spells:

Spoiler: Spell Foci
    Show
    Acid Sheath, Alarm, Greater, Anticipate Teleportation, Anticipate Teleportation, Greater, Bloodstar, Bonefiddle, Death Armor, Defenestrating Sphere, Field of Icy Razors, Force Ladder, Gemjump, Glowing Orb, Howling Chain, Icelance, Instant Refuge, Rainbow Beam, Rainbow Blast, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Sonic Rumble, Spell Matrix, Spell Matrix, Greater, Spell Matrix, Lesser, Acid Pit, Analyze Dweomer, Chains of Fire, Clone, Contingency, Create Demiplane, Greater, Discern Value, Ghost Wolf, Harrowing, Legend Lore, Mage's Magnificent Mansion, Mage's Sword, Mnemonic Enhancer, Protection from Spells, Repulsion, Scrying, Secret Chest, Shapechange, Spellbane, Stumble Gap, Wreath of Blades

You don't have to worry about supplying Material Components (she doesn't need them), but foci for spells not on the above list are up to you.

However, Arcane Cannon probably can't be done - the focus description specifies that it has to be made with a drop of the caster's blood, and I doubt any of you would have had that prepared ahead of time...

(For the record, she also can't or won't cast the various Evil aligned spells she knows. Before anyone asks about, say, Animate Dead.)

10. - Top - End - #10

As a mental exercise, how much would each of our characters know about one another? As the party represents ten of the most powerful mortals in Eberron, I'd have to imagine they're all pretty well known even in a setting without social media
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase blog/campaign journal

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

This is especially true in Eberron, since even the most powerful NPCs never make it beyond 12th level or so (exceptions exist, of course). As a point of comparison, it's widely known throughout the Material Plane that it isn't wise to challenge the little girl who lives in Flamekeep; meanwhile, her mentor, chef, friend, and epic-level protector is currently in your party, and has roughly...500 years of exploits, was it? Sounds right...

Anyway, if Cleric 18 is known through the plane, and Wizard 40 is basically a deity-in-training, try to find the middle ground. Widely known throughout the planes for whatever it is you each specialize in? Works for me, anyway.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Probably closer to 475, but honestly, I haven't much more than sketched out the first couple of centuries of Nustrilaa's life.

As to what's known about Nustrilaa...
    Common knowledge is that she's the Silver Flame's magical heavyweight (even if it wasn't common knowledge before, she was called to service several times during the 'Last War', and attracted a lot of notice for it).
    Less Common, but hardly obscure knowledge is that she's both an Arcane and Divine caster, her spellbook is intelligent (capable of speaking to people, although it does so rarely), she's found some means of immunity to ageing, and if you're passing through Flamekeep you really want to find an excuse to eat something from her kitchens.
    Obscure (but not restricted) knowledge would be the existence of her own demiplane (it's not as impressive as Attale's, but give her a couple more millennia, she'll catch up!), that she was originally recruited by the Silver Flame (from one of their own convents - she was an orphan) as a Paladin, not a cleric, and that she's a member of the Phiarlan house (she doesn't have any real dealings with the house in the present, but her parents were both members) native to the now-destroyed city of Metrol in what used to be Cyre.

She's generally just known as 'Sister Nustrilaa', preferring not to emphasise her ancestry.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Well, in term of fame, eversha might be a bit of a "burst onto the scene", or a small-timer relative to some of the others. Being a relative nobody for the first 16 years, and now the past 15 being what she is. That's one of the reason a bunch of her power is held in templates and things that are easily fluffed as being extensions of such.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Relative to Nustrilaa, Vir's also kinda new to the epic scene. 2-3 decades, though he is well-known for being part of the driving force behind the expansion of a ruthless and evil monastery focusing on Chi (Monks, Ninjas, and Samurai), the enforcer in the dark for the leaders. Then, within the span of a year, the evil sect was dismantled by a resistance group led by a hulk of a man that looked like a mishmash of metal and plant. Looking deep enough (high enough Knowledge) would tell you that Vir also helped to dismantle the sect, behind the scenes.

After that, he's practically disappeared from the records, his activity hard to pin down. He's made sure to keep his activities a secret. So basically, one would know that he betrayed his own monastery, and then helped take down those who had taken the old monastery's place. Admittedly, not someone who inspires much trust. In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have had him say his name… ((Edit: However, not everyone would know that he was part of the monastery before he helped bring it down; he was kinda young when he was brainwashed for years, and by that time he was practically a different person anyway…it's complicated. Still, not an auspicious partner, sadly.))

AvatarVecna, should we post more details for how we approach the fortress, or will you make an IC post now that everyone's posted? (I think everyone's posted, anyway)
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2014-09-04 at 08:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash View Post
    AvatarVecna, should we post more details for how we approach the fortress, or will you make an IC post now that everyone's posted? (I think everyone's posted, anyway)
    The only person who hasn't posted a brief description of how their character appears is Tempestfury; they last posted about an hour ago, and don't appear to currently be online. I'm not sure if I should PM them, or just keep waiting, but either way, I'm not going to wait forever.

I've got a little text blurb ready for once they've posted; if it's in the next few hours, I'll do it immediately, but if not...well, I have class in the morning...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Murch has been on Thelanis for most of his life, only recently traveling to the Material Plane to chase down gnomes. If anyone has been to Thelanis they'd know of him and the goblinoids that have been performing a steady push against the Summer and Winter courts.

Material Plane wise has been spent finding out that the fabled First Era of the Dhaakani has been dead for longer than either the Second or Third have been in existence (thanks time dilation!). Now he's coming to terms with that and planning to wish the return of the Dhaakani empire and begin the Fourth Era.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

O.k., as promised, spoiler contains how my current stats differ from ones on my sheet:
    Spoiler: Changes
    Show
    stats are now: str 56, dex 29, con -, int 19, wis 22, cha 68

My AC rises to 121 (121 touch, 112 flat-footed).
    Saves increase by 60 to fort 73, 64 to reflex 84, 63 to will 79

My mab increases by 40 to 81/76/71/66
    By rab increases by 39 to 67/62/57/52

HP increases by 150 to 1082.

Several previously-inactive feats turn on due to now meeting dex requirements.

Spoiler: Skills
    Show
    to save time, only listed final mod. Note that I forget which skills are trained only, so I may not be able to perform many of these checks.
    Appraise 4
    Acrobatics 46
    Bluff 74
    Climb 23
    Concentration 119
    Linguistics 4
    Diplomacy 62
    Disable device 4
    Disguise 62
    Escape artist 9
    Fly 74
    Handle animal 62
    Heal 6
    Stealth 72
    Intimidate 62
    Perception 69
    Perform (weapon drill) 119
    Ride 9
    Sense motive 6
    Sleight of hand 9
    Spellcraft 4
    Survival 6
    Swim 23
    UMD 95

18. - Top - End - #18

Seems like 72 is the magic number for stealth - with the adjustments above, three of the four stealth-oriented characters have a mod of 72 (and Murch doesn't count because Invisibility is cheating :P).

At a glance, it looks like their bonuses are coming from a variety of sources. Pure coincidence they all add up to the same value, or is there some mechanical reason?

EDIT so I don't spam ze thread - The Shade's Stealth breakdown for comparison

25 ranks + 3 for class skill + 11 dex + 11 int(BoB) + 20 competence + 2 luck
    Last edited by The Grue; 2014-09-05 at 04:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, just hilarious coincidence. My boni are +9 dex, +25 ranks, +6 Ghost Skill, +32 VOP.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on where you have spent most of your time, Slissht would either be completely unknown to you or rather well known. She hasn't taken any sort of pains to hide or misguide her identity, but then again, she has spent most of her life in whatever passes for northern or arctic areas in this world, along with a few snow capped mountains further south. If you don't come from that sort of area or visit it, you might have heard tales about her, but they would be almost impossible to believe. The standard frost giant clan is very patriarchal, so the thought of a female frost giant warrior is almost an oxymoron, as many clans don't even allow their women to touch weapons; and then add in that she uses a bow instead of rocks and the story just gets more implausible. The last straw is her spell casting, and the idea that she is a throwback to the days of old when giants were a mighty eldritch race...everyone knows that giants are just dumb brutes who smash things, and the stories of Slissht just doesn't ring true.
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

21. - Top - End - #21

Is it not generally known that the giants carved out an empire in Xen'drik, thousands of years ago?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Probably not common knowledge, as such (it's a long time ago and Eberron's not exactly a universal schooling society...), but anyone with some training in Knowledge (History) should know it, as should anyone with enough training in Knowledge (Arcana) (Since in this setting the first humanoids to learn magic were the Elves, who learned it by studying the Giants who ruled them at the time - so people who've studied arcane magic will probably know they got it from the Elves, who got it from the Giants, who got it from the Dragons).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been out since right before the Aerenal invaded the Dhaakani. My Know History is going to be full of all of the misinformation...
    I'm think Thelanis became coterminous shortly after the end of the Last War and Murch has been more concerned with why the heck all of these nongoblinoids are here and less why there's a nation of magical radiation. Also: how come they all thought to use his kind's hard work and not even reference it.

24. - Top - End - #24

As for what the other characters might know(silly me, bringing up a topic and then not contributing myself!), anybody who's done business in any of Khorvaire's larger cities has probably at least heard of the Shade. Characters not actually from there or who doesn't regularly keep up to date might take the Shade's legend at face value if they're particularly naive, but anybody who's been around long - for example, Sister Nustrilaa - would know that the Shade only cropped up in the last few decades despite claims that he's been around since the start of the War.

As a rules-segue, a DC20 Knowledge Local check gets you "hidden organizations" among other things, of which I think the Black Rose certainly qualifies.

As for Miles Colworn, anyone who's dealt with organized crime in the last 20 years in the way that a PC "deals with" any organization has likely heard the name in reference to the Black Rose. If they're particularly savvy(which PCs tend to be), a person familiar with the subject could make connections and draw inferences to support the theory that Miles himself is, in fact, the Shade. It's not a tightly-kept secret.

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

Veritas probably knows everyone there, but he himself is probably not that known, considering all he does is wander around, and bring those who have committed crimes to justice. Depending, however, he might possibly have toppled kingdoms and kings if he heard they did a crime.

EDIT: Then I remembered I changed his age to 430. Therefore, he is probably known, especially with his entire purpose is to bring justice everywhere, cleansing cities left and right.
    Last edited by Bluydee; 2014-09-05 at 06:08 PM.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

When did you do that? Last time I checked (2 days ago), Nustrilaa was the only character more than a century old...

Also, while I've got your sheet open - how is Veritas using two magical amulets (Health and Epic Natural Armor) at once?

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

I leave my computer on sleep, and earlier, like a few days before I did some changes to my sheet but only saved like a day ago, so that probably was it.

And on the subject, I think the magic item stacking rule is stupid, but I have 90,000 gold left so I can just add the health bonus to my natural armor for like a few thousand.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*nod* That's basically what Nustrilaa did with several of her magic items (rings, especially). She'd have long since run out of fingers if I hadn't.

So, back to RP issues. Your newly-ancient Veritas... how much does he operate on Khorvaire? And if the answer isn't 'he doesn't', then what was he doing during the Last War?

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Probably hunting down key targets in the five nations. In fact each of the scions of the nations involved in denying Mishann her throne died of old age despite being in their 40s.

So you probably could say he assassinated all of them for their crimes. He could also have killed those who specifically played key parts in destroying Cyre.

As for how much he works on Khorvaire, he finds powerful people who committed crimes and hunts them down, either bringing them to those who can punish them, or kill them straight out if they were untouchable. However, he would do this secretly, but for more knowledgeable people he would be well known.
    Last edited by Bluydee; 2014-09-05 at 07:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, I could buy Veritas as having killed two of them (i.e. the two who didn't become a Vampire and aren't canonically - or as canonically as can be established by checking the Eberron Wiki, anyway - still alive in the present day).

See, mostly I was asking to find out if they'd seen much of each other during the war. And from the sounds of it, Nustrilaa and Veritas are going to have some bad blood between them. She won't think well of anyone who intervened once, before leaving the continent to tear itself apart for another 75 years, despite having the ability to make at least as big a contribution to the war as she did. And if he's taking out those he considers 'guilty' for Cyre's destruction, there's a high chance Nustrilaa is either on the list, or sworn to defend (some of) those who are...

(When the Day of Mourning happened, Breland and Thrane were invading Cyre... and by that point, she'd have been fighting for Thrane. So if Veritas used the few years between the Day of Mourning and the present day to go after the leaders of Breland and Thrane, he'd have come into conflict with Nustrilaa along the way... either by targeting her for her part in the invasion, or by going after the hierarchy of her church.)