Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default The Cathedral of Ash [IC]


    You have been travelling for a week along the northern road, but now you are nearing the border of Lord Osbourne's lands. From there you'll be on your own. Your charge, the hooded blind man, has said little since you met him. You don't even know his name yet. The journey has been pleasant enough so far, however, so none of you really mind. It'll take months to reach the Great Northern Gate, so the quieter the journey the better. As you passed through Lord Osbourne's land, you would have noticed that the people there are mixed in response to you. Some wish you luck, others wish your lives weren't being wasted. To them you are just another group heading north to break the curse there - Lord Osbourne deciding that it would be safer for you if nobody knew who you were travelling with.

    The guards at the border nod their thanks for the task you are about to undertake and offer small words of advice, not that you'd need it. They warn of increased bandit activity in the lands ahead, mainly brought about by the Lord there. Lord Draker recently increased the taxes on the people in his land so he could fund another, larger, expedition north and few are happy with that. Some of those unhappy few have taken to banditry, swelling the ranks of the usual groups that prey upon travellers and merchants. You are also warned to not trust anyone, as obvious as such a suggestion might be, for anyone that finds out where you're headed and with whom will probably try to kill you.

    As you step out of Lord Osbourne's lands into Lord Draker's, the path forward is yours to choose. There is a town a few miles ahead and a wide open road leading straight there. You'll be able to find horses to ride, inns to sleep in and merchants to stock up with. The road is itself very busy and off to either side are plenty of trees and hills. If you wish to avoid the town, however, there are some caves to the north east that offer passage through Lord Draker's land.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Sigismund

    With the party stood upon the open road, Sigismund drains the bottle of elven wine that he acquired the other day. With his head held high, a little of the ruby liquid dribbles down his mustache and drips onto his beard, though not enough to spill onto his navy blue tunic.

    Finished, he tosses the bottle and sends it flying away to smash againt some wall. "Look at this rabble crawling along our road", he exclaims in a deep baritone voice."How are we going to convey our most esteemed and noble guest in the comfort that he is accustomed to?" he asks of no-one, and makes a mocking gesture of reverence to the blind man.
    Last edited by Fra Lippo; 2014-09-07 at 10:40 PM.
    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    "He?" Furiae Caergard asked, initially thinking Sigismund was talking about her until he pointed out the man they were escorting. "Oh. Him. Well I would suggest not angering nearly everyone we are going to meet from now on by referring to them as rabble to start with. Also perhaps you might share your wine with him if you're so concerned. I certainly would not have minded some myself." she replied to him, feigning that she had took his question seriously.

    She looked to the others and said, "I am looking forward to getting rest in a proper bed again. I do not suppose any of you has the available funds for us to acquire steeds?" As if the decision to go to the town had already been decided.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Sigismund

    The man doffs his helmet - a black, brimmed sallet of thick steel - and takes a deep bow towards Furiae."Forgive me, milady - only I did not have a suitable vessel to offer a refined, handsome woman such as yourself."

    He stands tall again and stares at the hum-drum activity on the road. "It'll be better to...find...a wagon. Faster, and easier to hide him - you'd enjoy the company of some nice goats, wouldn't you?", he asks of the blind man before descending into loud, hacking laughter.
    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Ashheart

    Ashheart throws a glance of disgust Sigismund's way before turning his gaze back to the road. "And here I thought I was traveling with professionals," he says to no one in particular, but loud enough for everyone to hear. "If we take the cave route though, I'm certain we can find a target of opportunity that everyone can agree upon. We might even do a little good on the way through if that appeals to any of you."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Furiae gives Ashheart a puzzle glance and asks, "Why would we wish to partake in the "opportunity" to sleep in a cave when we could be sleeping in relative comfort at an inn?"

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Thorim Ironhelm

    "If you desire the opportunity to help the allegedly belegauard people in the care of Lord Drake then there would certainly be more such opportunity if we were to travel upon the road." Thorim says. "A slow moving group like us, carrying the elderly and infirm would present a choice victim for the bandits, so we're more likely to be attacked than others. By drawing the bandits attention and defeating them in turn we thus make the land somewhat safer." He says and smiles to the gnome, oblivious to the fact that he just suggested they make themselves bait for the bandits.

    Thorim frowns at Sigismunds antics, unsure how to take it. He instead shrugs and taps his walking stick upon the dirt. "In any case, I vote for the road and the aforementioned inns and taverns upon it."
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    The group, having seemed to decide to follow the road to Tarrold, set onwards. The midday sun was bright and there were few clouds for it to hide behind. All in all, it was quite pleasant. The people walking towards Tarrold with you or to Lord Osbourne's lands took no notice of the group or the hooded man who walked with them, gently tapping his stick against the ground in front of him every so often.

    Two miles further on, the pleasant walk was about to get cut short. A small group of armed men, no more than five or six, were accosting passers by and demanding a fee for safe passage through the forest. According to the most silvertongued of the group, you never know what might be waiting between those trees. Of course, it's obvious to you all that it's bandits who skulked the tree line and these men were part of their trap.

    When your group approaches them, they begin to try to convince you of the need of protection - especially if you're escorting a weak and blind man. Before you have a chance to say or do anything, however, the blind man laughs aloud.

    "Weak? Your friends like to prey on the weak, don't they?" he said, speaking more than he had this last week, his words surprising no one more than the armed men in front of you, "I can smell them from here. Come and see how weak I really am."

    Lifting his staff horizontally, the blind man beckoned for them to try their luck. In an instant, fifteen more men appeared from the trees and brandished their weapons. It seems the man you are meant to be escorting safely to the north could be more trouble than anticipated.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Gerrick looks uneasily between his companions, all of whom were talking above his head, unfit as it was for broader strategizing and analysis of the options presented. Without saying a word, his sunken eyes raptly follow after whoever happened to be speaking at the moment, seeing and hearing without really comprehending. By force of habit, his hand intermittently grips at the handle of his rapier, ever ready to draw at half a moment's notice. Curiously, the man opts not to clad himself in armour, equipped with little more than a set of rugged hiking vestments and a dented buckler that's seen more than its fair share of use.

    If any were to ask his opinion he'd offer a mute shrug, content to let others more opinionated and certain of their views decide on how the group might proceed.


    When the bandits stream forth from the treelines, his rapier is already in his hand, legs spread and angled into a battle ready stance. The woodsman's attention locks upon the closest threat, face set into a fierce mien, rife with menace.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    As they approached the bandits initially Furiae had slowed down so that the others walked ahead of her and as the other bandits came out of the woods she pulled her orb out of her purse while actually walking backwards to gain some extra distance while commenting, "Oh, so we're not even warning them to surrender? That seems unfair." She speaks up and half-shouts to the bandits, "I, Lady Furiae Caergard, suggest you surrender unless you think a few coins and pride is worth dying in a variety of surely painful manners!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Intimidation: (1d20+5)[7]

    and because I'm sure we'll need it....
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[4]

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Ashheart carefully eyes the forces arrayed before him as he draws a blood red ruby from his sleeve. He loudy calls to Furiae "These lads don't look smart enough for that. We should just put half these curs down and extend your offer to the lucky ones."

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[3] Initiative if/when needed

    (1d20)[13]An extra 1d20 for advantage if I helped Furiae on her intimidation check.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Thorim Ironhelm

    As the travelers ahead slow down and the intentions of the men appear obvious Thorim shakes his head and chuckles. "While I do appreciate being shown to be right, timing is another matter. It had been such a nice day." He says as he straps his walking stick to his pack and readies his shield and warhammer.

    Already in the front of the group he was preparing to offer a speech similar to Lady Furiae's - though perhaps with less bombast - when the blind man spoke up and offered challenge. That was quite unexpected. He says and glances over his shoulder at the monk. "Well, I really wouldn't suggest that as the best course of action, sir. If you'd please stay behind me, I would appreciate it."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready arms and armor. Thorim would place himself in the front of the group during their walk. Initiative (1d20-2)[14]
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Sigismund

    As they walked down the road, Sigismund was content to keep to himself - perhaps shoving people out of the way when he felt like it.

    He is surprised by the blind man's words, but the bandits take his immediate attention. "Aye, put down your weapons and cry to milady, mama's boys!", he bellows as they stream out. "You pissants, come here and fight a man for once, or go back to the woods and hold your little pricks for each other!"

    During his tirade, the soldier moves directly in front of the blind man, his black steel halberd raised at the bandits.
    Last edited by Fra Lippo; 2014-09-09 at 02:24 AM.
    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]


    At first it seems as if the taunts of Furiae and Sigismund worked. The bandits, even with their greater numbers, looked nervous and unsure if this was such a great idea after all. Any fears they may have had, however, were doused as soon as a dwarf appeared. His very presence felt imposing and it was clear he led this particular crew of banditry, yet you could tell he was no ordinary bandit from the way he stood. Perhaps he was a former military commander of some kind?

    "I dunnae care who ye are, hand over all ye have," he shouted, "Or they'll kill ye all!"

    It seems he isn't interested in fighting you yet. Signalling with his arm for his men to hold their positions, he clearly waits for your group to act first.

    "Well go on, cut them down," the hooded man says, although you can't see the smile he has, "You're being paid to protect me, not to be protected."
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Sigismund

    Without a word, Sigismund steps forward and attempts to skewer the nearest bandit.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I move forward the minimum amount until I can make a lunge attack with my halberd (15ft) on bandit 1
    Attack: (1d20+7)[17]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[11]
    Superiority Dice: (1d8)[6]
    Last edited by Fra Lippo; 2014-09-09 at 11:18 AM.
    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Despite his lack of higher faculty, Gerrick was no stranger to combat and menace and this confrontation promised both. Wasting no time, he rushes into the fray, bellowing a feral warcry that echos off the low mesas and hills as instinct takes hold, turning him from man to battleready savage. Dozens of feet are crossed in an instant with the bestial warrior slamming his buckler into a nearby bandit, knocking him off balance before he skewers the beset foe upon his thirsting blade.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1:

    Bonus Action: Rage (Bear Totem)
    Effect: For 1 minute or until Gerrick falls unconscious or ends a turn without attacking or having taken damage since his last turn, he gains the following benefits:
    • Resistance to all damage types other than psychic.
    • Advantage on Strength checks and saves.
    • +2 damage to Strength weapon attack damage rolls.


    Move: As indicated.

    Attack (Rapier): (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[11] piercing (magical) (+1 for being Mr. Big; see OOC).

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Thorim Ironhelm

    Thorim huffs at Sigismund's choice of repartee but keeps his attention focused on the dwarf. "Unlike most of the travelers who frequent your route and no doubt would willingly part with their property to keep their lives, we are not to be bullied in such a crass manner." Thorim says and holds his shield-arm out so that the reverse is showing to the leader. Strapped in place above the arm holds is a brass orb and it pulses with power as Thorim chants in dwarven.

    "Have at thee, cur!" He shouts and six glowing darts of force burst into creation and fly straight towards the dwarven bandit.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Magic Missile
    Action Surge: Magic Missile

    (6d4+6)[25] damage

    Thorim
    HP 46/46
    AC 20
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-09-09 at 05:13 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Ashheart says nothing, letting his magic do the talking instead. He summons three streaks of flame, and with a flourish hurls them at the bandits.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting scorching ray. Assuming Thorim didn't kill the leader all three bolts target the dwarf, otherwise I cast one each at bandits 1, 2 and 3

    Ray 1 attack: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+1)[13]

    Ray attack 2: (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+1)[9]

    Ray attack 3: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage: (2d6+1)[12]

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Furiae sees Ashheart cast the spell she was about to and decides to be different and says, "I think you bandits are in for bigger trouble than you realized!" and with a wave of her orb that leaves a trailing vermillion glow, Gerrik and Sigismund also glow in the same colored light as they grow to twice their size.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Twin Spell + Enlarge/Reduce for the Enlarge effect on Gerrik and Sigismund.

    Spoiler: Enlarge
    Show

    The targetís size doubles in all dimensions, and its weight is multiplied by eight. This growth increases its size by one categoryófrom Medium to Large, for example. If there isnít enough room for the target to double its size, the creature or object attains the maximum possible size in the space available. Until the spell ends, the target also has advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws. The targetís weapons also grow to match its new size. While these weapons are enlarged, the targetís attacks with them deal 1d4 extra damage.


    Last edited by Ramsus; 2014-09-09 at 07:53 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Sigismund's effortless lunge pierced the bandit's chest, impaling their heart and killing them instantly. Similarly, Gerrick's target could not withstand the blow dealt to him. Thorim's arcane attack struck the dwarven leader squarely, yet he recovered quickly enough to deftly avoid all three of Ashheart's streams of flame. Touching his chest and uttering sacred words, the dwarf healed his wounds and jumped down towards Thorim and attacked. Meanwhile, the rest of the bandits closed in on the group, some attacking Gerrick and Sigismund to avenge their fallen brother while the rest targeted Furiae and Ashheart.

    Spoiler: Attacks .:
    Show
    Dwarven Leader: Multiattack vs Thorim
    To Hit: (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[11]
    To Hit: (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[10]

    Bandit 2: Melee attack vs Sigismund
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

    Bandit 3: Melee attack vs Sigismund
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]

    Bandit 4: Melee attack vs Sigismund
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

    Bandit 5: Ranged attack vs Gerrick
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[6]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[3]

    Bandit 6: Ranged attack vs Gerrick
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[4]

    Bandit 8: Melee attack vs Gerrick
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

    Bandit 9: Melee attack vs Gerrick
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

    Bandit 10: Melee attack vs Gerrick
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

    Bandit 11: Ranged attack vs Gerrick
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[2]

    Bandit 12: Ranged attack vs Furiae
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[4]

    Bandit 13: Ranged attack vs Ashheart
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[9]

    Bandit 14: Ranged attack vs Furiae
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[6]

    Bandit 15: Ranged attack vs Ashheart
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[3]


    Thorim easily avoids the dwarf's attacks and Gerrick weathers all the blows aimed at him with minimal injury. Furiae manages to avoid one of the bolts shot at her but is hit by the other while Ashheart suffers bad injuries from the shots he could not avoid. Sigismund, likewise, gets hurt by several attacks. The blind man doesn't appear to be targeted yet - do the bandits simply not consider him a threat or are they saving him for last? Surely they can't already know who he is?
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2014-09-11 at 01:46 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    "I...you... injured me...!?" Furiae says with growing ire as if this was an unthinkably vile act. At her ire's peak her eyes alight with vermillion flames and she points her orb at the cluster of bandits that shot at her and fires two brilliant blazing rays of light from her eyes and another from the orb at them. Then she notes the proximity of the other bandits and decides to move some distance away, not wanting to be caught in the melee, and notices some convenient rocks to take cover behind.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Casting Scorching Ray at Bandit 12. If a ray kills him the remained goes to 13. If 13 dies and there's still a ray left it goes to 14.
    (Also if anyone knows how to do rolling 2d6+1 and 1's become 2's, please tell me.

    Ray 1: (1d20+6)[8]
    damage: (1d6)[6] (1d6)[1] +1 = 9 (1's become 2's)

    Ray 2: (1d20+6)[15]
    damage: (1d6)[1] (1d6)[6] +1 = 9 (1's become 2's)

    Ray 3: (1d20+6)[12]
    damage: (1d6)[3] (1d6)[3] +1 = 7 (1's become 2's)

    Last edited by Ramsus; 2014-09-11 at 02:25 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Ashheart gives a disheartened glance at his right hand, then gives it an experimental shake. "Well aren't you just a bottle of disappointment t - AUGH!" His musings are interrupted by several well placed crossbow bolts. "By the gods, I guess I should pay more attention!" He shoves his way between Thorim and their blind companion, and raises both hands straight to the sky and unleashes a thunderous CRACKOOM as he slaps them together. The sonic burst strikes the dwarf bandit and several of his allies, but deftly and somehow visibly twists around Sigismund, avoiding him entirely.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Thunderwave, with a cube containing Bandit leader, Bandit 2 and Bandit 4. Saving DC is 14 (the +1 crystal doesn't add to that, right? If it does it's 15).

    Bandit leader damage: (2d8)[8]
    Bandit 2: (2d8)[8]
    Bandit 4: (2d8)[12]

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Gerrick doesn't even seem to notice the paltry nick he received while his enlarged buckler and sword easily parry and deflect the majority of blows. Without ceremony, he thrusts his now massive weapon downward to penetrate the skull of one of the highwaymen, rapier grotesquely wearing the man's flesh like a kebab before it is withdrawn.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 2:

    Attack (Rapier): (1d20+7)[22] vs Bandit 8
    Damage: (1d8+5)[11] + (1d4)[2] piercing (magical); Bandit 8 is dead.


    Rage: 9 rounds remaining.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Thorim

    "Erf!" Thorim grunts as he brings his shield up in time to deflect the blows from the rogue dwarf. << What has hurt you so that you've fallen in with common bandits, cousin? >> He asks in dwarfish as the air begins to hum and electricity crackles along his warhammer. << Surely this is not the life your father wished for you. >> He says as he brings the warhammer down against the bandit.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Shocking Grasp. If the leader is wearing metal armor Thorim has advantage for the attack roll.

    Attack (1d20+4)[10]
    Advantage Attack (1d20+4)[11]

    Damage (1d8)[8] and the leader can't take reactions until the start of his next turn.

    Thorim
    HP 46/46
    AC 20
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Ashheart gives a disheartened glance at his right hand, then gives it an experimental shake. "Well aren't you just a bottle of disappointment t - AUGH!" His musings are interrupted by several well placed crossbow bolts. "By the gods, I guess I should pay more attention!" He shoves his way between Thorim and their blind companion, and raises both hands straight to the sky and unleashes a thunderous CRACKOOM as he slaps them together. The sonic burst strikes the dwarf bandit and several of his allies, but deftly and somehow visibly twists around Sigismund, avoiding him entirely.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Thunderwave, with a cube containing Bandit leader, Bandit 2 and Bandit 4. Saving DC is 14 (the +1 crystal doesn't add to that, right? If it does it's 15).

    Bandit leader damage: (1d20+3)[22]
    Bandit 2: (1d20+1)[11]
    Bandit 4: (1d20+1)[11]
    Saving Throws:
    Bandit Leader: (1d20+3)[22]
    Bandit 2: (1d20+1)[11]
    Bandit 4: (1d20+1)[11]

    edit ;; Okay, something clearly went wrong there. :D
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2014-09-11 at 06:50 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Sigismund

    Though several of the bandits strike true, the now gigantic Sigismund seemingly ignores his wounds. He pulls his halberd out of the dead bandit and raises it high for a strike on another.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack on Bandit 3
    Attack: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[6]
    Enlarge Damage: (1d4)[2]
    GWF re-roll in OOC
    Last edited by Fra Lippo; 2014-09-12 at 01:12 AM.
    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Furiae's first firey bolt misses the mark, but the two following it strike true and sets the bandit alight. He runs off screaming into the distance but dies before he can douse himself. The three standing nearest to him seem shaken, but then more determined than ever to kill the woman that killed their brother-in-arms. A quick succession of attacks from Thorim, Sigismund and Ashheart send two of the bandits and their leader flying several feet away, killing one and wounding the rest. The bandit leader had the martial experience to avoid Thorim's attack, but even he could not dodge an explosion of sound itself.

    The dwarven leader shouted a rallying cry, preparing to show just why he is the leader of this group. Quickly the bandits follow, showing a level of coordination they hadn't before. Suddenly you can't help but wonder if these were once bandits at all.

    Spoiler: Actions:
    Show
    Bandit Leader:
    Leadership: For 1 minute, whenever an ally within 30ft makes an attack roll or saving throw, they roll an extra 1d4 and add it to the result.
    Martial Advantage: Once per turn, the bandit leader can deal an extra 10 damage to an enemy it hits if the target is within five feet of an ally of the bandit leader.
    Multiattack:
    To Hit: (1d20+5)[12] vs Sigismund
    Damage: (2d6+3)[11]
    Divine Smite Bonus Damage: (2d8)[9]

    To Hit: (1d20+5)[18] vs Sigismund
    Damage: (2d6+3)[9]
    Divine Smite Bonus Damage: (2d8)[13]

    +10 damage if either connects


    Bandit 2:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[21] + (1d4)[1]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

    Bandit 4:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[19] + (1d4)[1]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

    Bandit 5:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[5] + (1d4)[1]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]

    Bandit 6:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[4] + (1d4)[4]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

    Bandit 9:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[14] + (1d4)[2]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

    Bandit 10:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[20] + (1d4)[4]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

    Bandit 11:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[20] + (1d4)[1]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]

    Bandit 13:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[7] + (1d4)[3] vs Blind Man
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

    Bandit 14:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[18] + (1d4)[4] vs Blind Man
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]

    Bandit 15:
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[13] + (1d4)[1] vs Blind Man
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]



    The bandit leader's first attack against Sigismund missed, but the second was sure to hit hard enough to kill. At the same time, the three bandits to the west decided to go after Ashheart. The Blind Man intervened, however, and, just as they were about to strike him, something happened. The bandit leader and the three bandits about to attack the Blind Man all froze in place simultaneously. Thorim understood instantly that this was an enchantment, holding all four in place.

    "Don't just stand there gawking!" the blind man shouted, "I can't hold them forever!"
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2014-09-12 at 12:44 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ramsus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Furaie says to herself, aloud for some reason, "I only killed one of them. Well let's try it a different way and see if it works any better." And this time, though she's casting the same spell, all three rays are fired from her orb in curved arcs.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Scorching Ray. Priority Bandit 13, then 15, then 14.
    As always with fire, 1s are 2s for me.

    Ray 1: (1d20+6)[15]
    damage: (1d6)[3] (1d6)[1] +1 = 6

    Ray 2: (1d20+6)[24]
    damage: (1d6)[1] (1d6)[3] +1 = 6

    Ray 3: (1d20+6)[25]
    damage: (1d6)[4] (1d6)[5] +1 = 10

    Last edited by Ramsus; 2014-09-12 at 01:08 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    For all of the bandit leader's posturing, his henchmen weren't able to score more than a couple of glancing blows upon Gerrick, adding to the meagre scrape he had received earlier. As before, the raging warrior is unperturbed, his injuries beneath notice as his giant blade continues to ravage his diminutive foes.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 3:

    Attack (Rapier): (1d20+7)[20] vs Bandit 6
    Damage: (1d8+5)[8] + (1d4)[2] piercing (magical); Bandit 6 is injured.


    Rage: 8 rounds remaining.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cathedral of Ash [IC]

    Sigismund

    Sigismund turns his attention fully onto his would-be killer. Though his two killing strikes were artful, his attack on the bandit leader is made of fury and malice. With a snarl Sigismund slices downwards into his chest. And, with the momentary lull, he seizes the opportunity to attack again: he brings his weapon to bear in a sweeping motion, aiming to hack the dwarf's legs from under him. Despite this flurry, Sigismund is invigorated to fight on with renewed determination.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Action Surge

    Action 1: Attack on Bandit Leader

    Attack: (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[13]
    Enlarge Bonus: (1d4)[4]

    Action 2: Attack on Bandit Leader

    Attack: (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[9]
    Enlarge Bonus: (1d4)[1]
    Trip Attack:
    Damage: (1d8)[2]
    STR Check, Save DC = 14

    Bonus Action: Second Wind

    Healing: (1d10+4)[12]

    Segor Bersk - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Corrin Strongjaw - The Lost Mine of Phandelver: IC | OOC
    Sigismund Otto - The Cathedral of Ash: IC | OOC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •